• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
It does?

I thought that it was just the Greninja using hydro pump in the wrong direction.

If dtilt has a windbox, i would be surprised.
It seems like greninja hydro pumpped just once to swetspot the edge, since another one would carry more distance.
Oh well, can anybody test on this?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Ever since ScAtt got in Top 8 at MLG 2015, I've been feeling more confident about Megs' overall potential future. And it feels goooooooood. :p
What's everyone's opinion on this?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Well, it does feels good to know that one of our own managed to place top 8 in a national, but i think we are still sitting in the mid tier. We still have quite a few bad MUs, so i guess everyone agrees now that Mega needs a secondary.

Just gotta love how Scatt's performance got everyone pumped up! Him and Greward are putting in some serious work lately, the rest of us really need to step up our game.

Question: don't have much free time so i decided to play some FG just for basic practice, was getting some good connections but all of the sudden i cannot find an opponent anymore, it takes like, 5 minutes to someone to show up. Anyone experiencing this?

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Well, it does feels good to know that one of our own managed to place top 8 in a national, but i think we are still sitting in the mid tier. We still have quite a few bad MUs, so i guess everyone agrees now that Mega needs a secondary.

Just gotta love how Scatt's performance got everyone pumped up! Him and Greward are putting in some serious work lately, the rest of us really need to step up our game.

Question: don't have much free time so i decided to play some FG just for basic practice, was getting some good connections but all of the sudden i cannot find an opponent anymore, it takes like, 5 minutes to someone to show up. Anyone experiencing this?
I do agree that a lot of us need to practice a lot and step up our game. I'm taking this as a way to inspire myself to become better at the game. :)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I do agree that a lot of us need to practice a lot and step up our game. I'm taking this as a way to inspire myself to become better at the game. :)
We definitely can get there. Also forgot to mention SSguy, he said he got to top 10 in the power rankings in his region, Megaman is looking good right now.

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
Any frame traps or shield breaking combos? Especially looking for ones with the new sheild stun mechanics.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSYA8QrviE

Have any of you found good uses for this besides getting easier grabs?, I tried pivot sliding tilts but with the weird mechanics of Slide and Mega Upper Mega Man doesn't seem to slide when doing this at all, and I haven't really found a lot of use for this technique.

I already love doing this with my other main, but with Mega Man there seems to be little to no reward from this other than sliding grabs and I'm kinda disappointed with it so far.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet

Have any of you found good uses for this besides getting easier grabs?, I tried pivot sliding tilts but with the weird mechanics of Slide and Mega Upper Mega Man doesn't seem to slide when doing this at all, and I haven't really found a lot of use for this technique.

I already love doing this with my other main, but with Mega Man there seems to be little to no reward from this other than sliding grabs and I'm kinda disappointed with it so far.
Toss Gliding seems works pretty ok for me when playing mind games, I usually use as a wavedash-like thing and the opponent either stands there, and for some reason they lower their guard, then you throw the blade and grab them, or drop the blade and dash grab, if you feel confident about it. If they come to you, drop the blade and react.

Note: I haven´t been on many tournaments so I´m not sure how this works on high level play

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'm pretty sure Mega Uppers get a sliding boost. While Mega doesn't slide any further during the move itself, the sliding before the move goes off helps like sliding before grabbing! This seems like a spacing tech for our Mega.

We can backwards empty jump, pivot slide, read opponent's reaction, and then:
-If opponent shields, grab 'em
-If opponent readies an attack, challenge it with the invincible frames of Utilt
-Or something else

I'm still testing, but so far this is how I feel. This tech is mostly for spacing as Mega.

cRyPtIcX8

Smash Rookie
From 0:54 to 2:30, how do you do the "Beat Lock?" Whenever I footstool I always jump way too high and I'm not able to get the jab lock. If possible, could someone do a break down of the inputs and of what is going on? Also for the MB's respawn version are they able to get out of that in anyway?

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice

I do this all the time for movement mixups and fakeouts, but that's about all i use it for

Any frame traps or shield breaking combos? Especially looking for ones with the new sheild stun mechanics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alkPCNYCpHc

I use this one often on For Glory if people decide they want to shield the Crash Bomb

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I think it was pretty much on point, and i can agree with most of Scatt's opinion on MUs, but i wanted to know why he thinks Mega beats Peach and Ryu. I know Ryu can have some trouble getting past our projectiles, and Focus Attack isn't much of an issue for us when juggling/edge guarding him since our most used tools are multihit, but considering how early he can kill, i figured it would be a mostly even MU.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I think it was pretty much on point, and i can agree with most of Scatt's opinion on MUs, but i wanted to know why he thinks Mega beats Peach and Ryu. I know Ryu can have some trouble getting past our projectiles, and Focus Attack isn't much of an issue for us when juggling/edge guarding him since our most used tools are multihit, but considering how early he can kill, i figured it would be a mostly even MU.
I'm more curious with Peach. I've only battled a handful of Peaches, but not enough to have any knowledge on the match up.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I'm more curious with Peach. I've only battled a handful of Peaches, but not enough to have any knowledge on the match up.
I'm curious with Peach as well, is just that in Ryu's case, i at least have an idea. I know nothing about Peach.
Also one thing i forgot, what is the correct spacing for uair not to get shield grabbed? Cause i thought it was only slightly safe if you land behind them in the first place.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
with peach her turnips never go through lemons so basically her entire turnip game is squashed by a player who uses lemons well. i've played quite a few good peach players on anthers ladder and the reason i believe scatt thinks peach has a disadvantage here is because peach has about the same if not less kill options than megaman. all her kill combos stop working at certain percentages (dthrow->airdodge read->usmash, dair->fair, etc.) and megaman is pretty good at surviving. the only thing peach has in my opinion to keep megaman from being completely overwhelming is her float nair. most of megaman's kill potential revolves around him actually going into melee range - well timed float nairs will keep a megaman out of kill distance.

of course maybe i haven't actually played any really good peach players, you can never know. i guess i'll find out at the next major i go to.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I think I noticed something pretty cool. If you ever manage to get a footstool on a standing opponent, you get a nearly guaranteed Dair with a Short footstool jump. I think it is really neat, since it gives us another situational, yet effective way to get a kill. Could someone test that with a MB -> footstool ? (I just can't make that string for some reason)

Edit : Well, of couse, I say I can't get the string straight and I manage to do it... And yes, it DOES work. You get a guaranteed Projectile Hard Knuckle. It doesn't seem to kill until you get a huge amount of damage on your opponent, but it still looks pretty awesome :p

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
I think I noticed something pretty cool. If you ever manage to get a footstool on a standing opponent, you get a nearly guaranteed Dair with a Short footstool jump. I think it is really neat, since it gives us another situational, yet effective way to get a kill. Could someone test that with a MB -> footstool ? (I just can't make that string for some reason)

Edit : Well, of couse, I say I can't get the string straight and I manage to do it... And yes, it DOES work. You get a guaranteed Projectile Hard Knuckle. It doesn't seem to kill until you get a huge amount of damage on your opponent, but it still looks pretty awesome :p
I've done that a few times albeit on accident and converted into dair then if they're at low enough percents you can usmash right after.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
How effective is Hard Knuckle for getting shield breaks?

I was playing on FG last week and I got a Crash Bomber on someone, and hopped over them while they were shielding it and did a dair and broke their shield.

I can't remember if I did anything else like throw a Metal Blade or if their shield wasn't full at the time since it was a while ago (and I didn't think to save the replay), but it did seem like CB + dair did a lot of shield damage at any rate.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
How effective is Hard Knuckle for getting shield breaks?

I was playing on FG last week and I got a Crash Bomber on someone, and hopped over them while they were shielding it and did a dair and broke their shield.

I can't remember if I did anything else like throw a Metal Blade or if their shield wasn't full at the time since it was a while ago (and I didn't think to save the replay), but it did seem like CB + dair did a lot of shield damage at any rate.
if people shield crash bomber, they risk their shield getting broken with alot of mega's moves, especially if it got hit by a metal blade. however, crash bomb into dair does not break a full shield. landing a shield break with dair basically depends on the character - some characters will get knocked out of shield by a dair projectile at certain shield health %s.

not only that but on all characters you would have to hit their shield at an amount of health unique to each character just before crash bomb explodes if you want a shield break from it. very situational but it's cool that you landed it!

a better shield break would be when someone's shielding your crash bomber, time a z-dropped metal blade to connect right when crash bomber explodes. from there, connecting a dsmash will break the shield. still extremely situational, but less-so than the dair shield break you speak of

if you're interested here's a video for you.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Does anyone disagree with scAtt about mega beating sonic? Im gonna go read the MU thread, but while im here im wondering if anyone has any more insight onto beating the rage inducing nightmare that is sonic. It seems like mega forces sonic to play his game, and pellets and mb mostly negate spindash stuff. Ofc, sonic has more options but theyre much better to fight against.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Does anyone disagree with scAtt about mega beating sonic? Im gonna go read the MU thread, but while im here im wondering if anyone has any more insight onto beating the rage inducing nightmare that is sonic. It seems like mega forces sonic to play his game, and pellets and mb mostly negate spindash stuff. Ofc, sonic has more options but theyre much better to fight against.
Sonic's approach options are fairly linear--either dash in or spindash in. Both get beaten by pellets. Sonic's speed actually works against him in some ways, because like any character he can't shield out of his dash animation, and by the time the dash animation is done he's already halfway across the stage, so it makes it more difficult for him to do power shield approaches to counter lemons.

Sonic also has a really hard time dealing with Leaf Shield, as it beats all of his spindash moves, his dash attack, and his dash grab. He either has to wait it out or get in close (but not too close) and ftilt, which is easier said than done given his aforementioned approach problems.

Effective keepaway play can force Sonics into only approaching by walking and powershielding, which is not the way most Sonics want to play.

Sonic also has trouble KOing us, again because of his approach problems and the fact that his KO options are quite limited. With our weight we can survive against him a good long time.

Basically the only thing Sonic has going for him is that whe he DOES get in, he can combo us for days and potentially KO us if we DI his juggles wrong. But overall Mega Man just has more control over the matchup IMO.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Sonic also has a really hard time dealing with Leaf Shield, as it beats all of his spindash moves, his dash attack, and his dash grab. He either has to wait it out or get in close (but not too close) and ftilt, which is easier said than done given his aforementioned approach problems.
About that, here, i tried to sent it at the right time, 9:44 :
https://youtu.be/S4B-qb2125A?t=584 Homing attack just hit me right trough LS, and at if you go back to 3:42, he managed to dash grab me, and i'm pretty sure the leafs had begun to spin.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
About that, here, i tried to sent it at the right time, 9:44 :
https://youtu.be/S4B-qb2125A?t=584 Homing attack just hit me right trough LS, and at if you go back to 3:42, he managed to dash grab me, and i'm pretty sure the leafs had begun to spin.
Homing attack can go through LS, but not always. If you're shielding or dodging with LS up you're pretty safe against anything Sonic can dish out.

@ 3:42 he hit you out of your LS activation frames with his tilt, which cancelled it. Even though you saw the leaves come out the hitboxes were not actually active, which is why he was able to dash grab you. You have to be careful when activating LS against fast characters like Sonic and Fox because if they read you they can slap you out of it.

Another thing to be wary of vs. Sonic is that with the new shield mechanics, he can actually get hit by a leaf and standing grab you before you can shield grab him. I find that rolling toward him as he barrels into you is the best way to screw with his game plan.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
Probably just something useless but I'm brainstorming but has anyone played with the idea of using Metal Blades to change the direction you're facing? Like if you're facing <-- this way and you throw a Metal Blade the opposite direction it'll change what direction Mega Man is facing? To be honest I'm just trying to find a use out of something possibly completely useless though but I've just been thinking about it and possible implications in terms of off-stage and how it could add more to mind games. Other than that be welcome to shut me down on useless it possibly is.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Probably just something useless but I'm brainstorming but has anyone played with the idea of using Metal Blades to change the direction you're facing? Like if you're facing <-- this way and you throw a Metal Blade the opposite direction it'll change what direction Mega Man is facing? To be honest I'm just trying to find a use out of something possibly completely useless though but I've just been thinking about it and possible implications in terms of off-stage and how it could add more to mind games. Other than that be welcome to shut me down on useless it possibly is.
B reversing can be a useful way of switching up Mega Man's direction and momentum, regardless of which B move you use. It's a good way to juke people when they're trying to juggle you or in footsies. I'm not sure why b reversing offstage would be all that useful however...

I tend to find Leaf Shield to be the most useful move for B reversals. Being able to juke and then land with a bunch of hitboxes shielding you from your opponent's follow ups is rad.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
B reversing can be a useful way of switching up Mega Man's direction and momentum, regardless of which B move you use. It's a good way to juke people when they're trying to juggle you or in footsies. I'm not sure why b reversing offstage would be all that useful however...

I tend to find Leaf Shield to be the most useful move for B reversals. Being able to juke and then land with a bunch of hitboxes shielding you from your opponent's follow ups is rad.
I meant more of a item thrown Metal Blade while it's in your hand to change the direction your facing as a way to change the direction you're facing for a Back Air or somewhat. It kind of scares people going off-stage with a Metal Blade, most of the times I'll just z-drop it or throw it straight down on the ledge but I expect people to like air dodge if they're near the blast zone on the side and for some unexpected reason you come towards them with a Metal Blade. Thinking about it though you could just go off and read an air dodge if they're already at kill percents...

On the other hand I need to give Leaf Shield B Reversals more of a try, I don't think I ever do them.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Shout to the blue : if anyone out here is still interested in customs, could they possibky help me find a use to Shadow Blade ? I kept trying to find it some usefulness (it can combo into pellets / Slide pretty well), but aside from that, nothing. The Void. I really need help here. I just can't believe it is that much inferior to the two other Neutral Specials :(

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Here's a little fun thing to try with Shadow Blade. :)

Watch "Mega Man 0 to Death off top with Shadow Blade by ENKER" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/iZQ_Tv1NRcQ

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions I need answered by someone familiar with megaman in smash.
Would megaman be a good fit to my play style, how hard is he to play on a tournament level, what is required to play as him at a tourney level, and how many options does he have in general.

I have an NES, and am really into the megaman series. I beat megaman 2 on hard, and was proud of that. When smash 4 came out, I was excited to hear that megaman was in it, so he was he first character I picked up. I talked to a friend who at this point has taught me everything I know. He plays at a tournament level, and gave me some advice on who to play. On telling him that I liked fast characters, he recommended captain falcon. I started to play as him and have gotten really good! I typicall play video games defensively, and captain falcon is not that way at all! However, his speed is what I was after, and soon enough it was hard to remember that I used to be defensive. Captain falcon is great, but he refuses to use his gun out of compassion to the other characters. This unfortunately leaves him with nothing to throw, or shoot. He is easily spaced out, and even at a tournament level, he can still get destroyed. I love the guy and all, and he is really fun, but upon listening to a great c falcon players reasons for switching mains I realized I hadn't tried any other characters. I watched some tournament footage with a good megaman player, and searched one combo video. ONE! It was instantly better than the two captain falcon ones I have made, or the ones I held in high regard. This guy was jablocking, zdropping and doing the metal blade uppercut combo along with some pretty neat gimps. I had to try megaman out.

I recalled playing against 2 on for glory ( at that time many spammers were using him). They just destroyed my captain falcon, because I couldn't grab, or do any air movement. Megaman controlled the stage! all that said, I am very interested. I will reiterate my questions now, thank you all for your time!

Would megaman be a good fit to my play style? how hard is he to play on a tournament level? what is required to play as him at a tourney level, and how many options does he have in general.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
How about you just jump in and give Mega a shot? You love his games and the character himself! What more reason do you need?

Defensive works well for Mega. He struggles sealing kills, so controlling the stage and waiting for openings is the name of his game.

Playing in tourneys as Mega is fun because he isn't played often and is very hype. People usually respect me for playing him and cheer me on. :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I think the consensus is that Mega Man is tournament viable but most people think he needs secondaries against some of his tougher matchups--namely, Sheik and Mario.

I can't speak to your playstyle question because you haven't really described it. I will say that Mega Man plays very differently from Captain Falcon. Falcon is all about breaking your opponent's neutral game using Falcon's incredible speed, reading what he does in disadvantage, and punishing hard to net the KO.

Mega Man, on the other hand, has arguably one of the best neutral states in the entire game. A general rule of thumb with MM is that if you're in neutral, you're winning. You really want to avoid getting into disadvantage with MM at all costs because his weight makes him combo food and he can have a hard time recovering.

This, I think, makes him a defensive zoning character par excellence. MM's moves are all about removing your opponent's offensive options. Pellets punish landings and conditions your opponent to shield constantly; leaf shield invalidates most projectiles and dash grabs (and many dash attacks); Crash Bomber forces shields and airdodges; Rush Coil and Air Shooter interrupt air approaches; and so on. He doesn't have the speed or frame data to do well in CQC so it's important to maintain your ideal zoning distance from your opponents.

Like ENKER said, another key difference between Falcon and MM is that MM really has to work to seal KOs. Your offstage game has to be on point because most of MM's early kill options happen offstage. If you get good at power shielding (and you should), utilt can be a beastly punish and nets kills at 85%+ with rage. Metal Blade->utilt is a solid setup but players experienced in the MM matchup won't fall for it often. Often, I find myself just chipping away at my opponent until they're 150%+, waiting for them to commit to an unsafe move, then killing with a bthrow or usmash or utilt punish.

Playing MM requires some technical skill (mostly with regards to pellets and metal blade shenanigans), and certain elements of his design (pellets, upB, utilt, leaf shield) take some getting used to. But above all I think you have to be patient and unpredictable. MM players tend to lose when they get too hungry for kills or too predictable.

Last edited:

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Thank you both for your time and responses.

I have tried megaman due to the fact that I like him so much,. I haven't fully committed to have him as my new main though. but this is Smash Bros. I want a viable character that works well at playing defensively, and shuts others out. What concerns me is that, as ENKER said,
He struggles sealing kills
I like, however, how fatiguing the match can be for opponents after racking up 100+ damage, slipping up, and getting punished. I can short hop single, or double pellet pretty well. I know how all of his moves work (because I played his games), and have been doing pretty well at spacing. I don't know... I have been having a lot more fun than I thought I would!

Now to Your points ChopperDave. I apologize, I really didn't explain my play style excepting when I said that I would like to play defensively. I think we can just drop that though, I really don't need that answered. I should just know myself! sorry about that!

I noticed that I could activate leaf shield, and just run into one of dedede's gorges to bounce it back at him with no trouble!

But above all I think you have to be patient and unpredictable. MM players tend to lose when they get too hungry for kills or too predictable.
That is what I am going to have to work on I guess, since I have been playing Captain Falcon, and get a little too antsy.

Thank you both for putting time into answering me. This has really help bring information into my decision! I will be putting a lot of time and effort into MM, as he is super fun to play as! He seems to be very viable, and surprising as many don't know about him!

-Dandeto

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
So I havent been utilizing shorthop bairs in my game lately, mostly because ive been playing defensively.
Is it safe on shield if spaced right?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Does rage effect mega mans projectiles? If so, which ones? I would really hope air shooter gets rage boosted, that would be really scary for floaty chars.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Does rage effect mega mans projectiles? If so, which ones? I would really hope air shooter gets rage boosted, that would be really scary for floaty chars.
Well, as far as I know all the moves from the character get rage boosted; but I don´t think air shooter's knockback is the one that kills, given the fact that this move is very picky when it comes to killing people, and that the move also has and windbox, It's more likely that's the one that kills.
Not sure if that changes with rage tho, because I tend to kill people more often on high percents.

As for the other moves, it's not really that much of a deal since most deal minimun knockback, crash bomber aside.
pellets won´t give a considerable difference but fishing kills with nair's sweetspot is pretty hype imo, Leafshield doesn´t kill even on sudden death, so its uses don´t increase that much, metal blade can stage spike if aimed correctly and can seal a stock if it hits after opponent already used the second jump on characters like Mario, I think hyper bomb does kill people (haven´t customs that much) and danger wrap, welp, is danger wrap. It doesn´t need any explanation

Megamang

Smash Lord
I mainly wanted to know for uair. Just started to comain this character, already having a great time; i wanted to know if there was chance to get ceiling gimps due to rage, since i find mega's survivability awesome.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Can someone give me a full list of the important uses of metal blades? I use this move a lot, but usually in ineffective ways other than zdrop edgeguards, to run in and grab, and occasionally fullhop MB into Utilt or grab. In general my mixup game needs work, and the Metal Blades are definitely the first weapon I want to refine myself with.

Also, does anyone have a tutorial showing how to do DICIT with your hands executing it. I learned the input but I only managed to do it two times, and I'm wondering if I input it too fast or too slowly.

Top Bottom