• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
Is it me or does the pokemon stadium from melee have messed up ledges now? -.- It annoys the crap out of me.

3 stocks already takes a while in my opinion. I don't know the stages at all so I'm gonna assume that looks right. ^_^

Green greens and onett? >> I'm not good with stages/rules/etc so I dunno why they were banned in melee. Cause fox is supah rigged? They just seem to be annoying stages, stupid bombs.

Anyways, I will try to make it at least to one of them, Jam's or Esticle. I dunno which yet though.

_milktea

Smash Lord
Nope. Anyways, we're actually discussing stuff this time!

SPAWN~ Wanna ride to Jam's tournament? You know how badly I fail when driving alone lol. I has no school Friday so yeah. WAIT, do you have break that week? Yes!? OMFG. Get back to me.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Aesir: and if I turn out to be right, I will most definitely NOT hold it over your head. Cuz im not petty like that.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ to answer your question later in march theres a 3s and sf2t tourney in the midwest arcade version...>_>

Sorry but sf2t still managed to stay alive, even after 3s came into the picture. Hence why you say melee is basically going to die, is incorrect. Perhaps if brawl was superior to melee in the competitive sense you would be right. But at this point in time it isn't.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Dude, I don't know anybody thats in to street fighter. And just the fact that I did have to look it up and didn't know what SF2T meant right away kinda proves that nobody really cares anymore. Please, point me in the direction of a street fighter 2 turbo tournament in the area, or let me know where i can find the hundreds of thousands of competitive players, and I swear to god i will attach tasers to my nipples. Also, technically didnt it get released recently on xbla, meaning that in actuality it is the most recent street fighter game to be released? :O

Try again lulz
http://forums.shoryuken.com/
http://www.evo2k.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/Self-Defense-Ta...ryZ79850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Cort, you appear to be missing Bridge of Eldin from the stage list. I believe this could almost be a neutral stage. I would understand however if people rather it a counterpick

Cort

Apple Head
Ugh the windmill sucks **** in Stadium

anyway, on to real discussion
:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:
:colorful:EVERYONE READ THIS OR I WILL MURDER YOU:colorful:
:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:
The first ever Brawl doubles/Brawl singles ESTICLE will be on April 19th, the day after Jam's event. So I guess people out of state should stay for a nice 2 day brawlfest =D

I just need to figure out a rule set we can all agree on.

4 stock? 3 stock?

Stages: (discuss which you think should be moved where/any that should be changed from singles/doubles)

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Brawl Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks:
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Halberd
Bridge of Eldin
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar

Banned Stages:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town Aero Dive
Wariorware, Inc.
New Pork City
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Temple
Melee Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Big Blue

THIS IS JUST A ROUGH DRAFT I CAME UP WITH

It is very subject to change via competent discussion. I banned the stages with ******** insane hazards that are just downright stupid, but some of them are a little iffy.

So, discuss away. And make sure you atleast explain why you feel certain things should change.
For 2nd page, added Eldin to counterpicks (I swear I had that there already...) and also banned Shadow Moses due to walls/walk off ledges >_<

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Is it possible to do the walk-off with Sonic? I have to do it delayed and wait til he starts to flip out on the ledge like he's going to jump off and die.. then right and immediately hit left. Anybody else?

Also, at Esticle and Jam's tourny I'll have a tv w/ melee in a corner for whoever would like to join me (I'll be bringing my own tv and cube etc). Jam will probably need the tvs/setups for his tournament so I probably won't give use it then but Esticle will have plenty of setups... most likely.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
WTF::

From the Album In Rainbows (2007) Do it eBay!
(buy at amazon.com)

15 Step Lyrics
Bodysnatchers Lyrics
Nude Lyrics
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi Lyrics
All I Need Lyrics
Faust Arp Lyrics
Reckoner Lyrics
House Of Cards Lyrics
Jigsaw Falling Into Place Lyrics
Videotape Lyrics
Down Is The New Up Lyrics
Go Slowly Lyrics
Last Flowers Lyrics
Up On The Ladder Lyrics
Bangers And Mash Lyrics
4 Minute Warning Lyrics
/starts the download
----------------------------------------------------------
I'll add yours later today, PoF.

Good **** Papito.

Aesir

Smash Master
Is it possible to do the walk-off with Sonic? I have to do it delayed and wait til he starts to flip out on the ledge like he's going to jump off and die.. then right and immediately hit left. Anybody else?

Also, at Esticle and Jam's tourny I'll have a tv w/ melee in a corner for whoever would like to join me (I'll be bringing my own tv and cube etc). Jam will probably need the tvs/setups for his tournament so I probably won't give use it then but Esticle will have plenty of setups... most likely.
MELEEE **** YEAH

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
4 stock? 3 stock?
3 stock. I'd only suggest 4 in the instance of items (faster pace since everyone has a kill move and to help with accuracy of results)

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Brawl Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks:
Luigi's Mansion - Nuetral
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Halberd - Nuetral
Bridge of Eldin - Banned
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege - Nuetral
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar

Banned Stages:
Mushroomy Kingdom Counterpick (1-1)
Rumble Falls
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town Aero Dive
Wariorware, Inc.
New Pork City
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Temple
Melee Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Big Blue
Keep in mind that my suggestions are more lax and less ban-happy because, well, it's a new game.

Luigi's Mansion - Neutral
Honestly, this stage isn't so bad. It definitely fits in well as a counter pick level, and the main problems the stage has (camping inside the house, mini cave of life) can actually be beaten by simply destroying the house. The camper can't attack you with projectiles because they'll get blocked the pillars.

Halberd - Neutral
The only problem I'm really seeing is that the Claw that stalks Player A and then attacks Player A, B, C, or D. Cort tells me there's some 2nd claw that I've yet to meet, but from what I can tell, the stage's hazards are telegraphed well ahead of time. In fact, I have a hunch that the stalking claw attacks the lead player, I'm not sure, but I'll need to test more. I also think, if this is true, that it stalks the lead player, and then if the lead changes by the time it attacks, it attacks the new leader, which gives it an illusion of randomness. That'll require some testing.

Bridge of Eldin - Banned
The stage is a walk-off, just asking for Dedede chain grabbing, and then the center blows up, and it becomes an incredible camp-fest. Falco (lasers that travel), Pit (arrows), and Dedede (chaingrabbing) seem to be the only usable characters here. I could be wrong, though.

Castle Siege - Neutral
This stage is really good. The only bad thing I'm seeing with the level is the walk-off part in Level 2 and the transitions, but since they're only temporary, it's not that bad enough to be a major con.

Mushroomy Kingdom Counterpick (1-1)
Before I discuss 1-1, 1-2 is a terrible stage. It's fun. It's not a good competitive stage, though. I suggest that if 1-1 is allowed for counter pick, and 1-2 comes up when someone counter picks Mushroomy Kingdom, simply restart the match until you get 1-1. Now, onto 1-1 itself. There aren't too many problems with this stage, aside from when the stage occasionally has walk-off spots perfect for Dedede to CG on, but they're, again, temporary. Much more than Castle Siege, in fact. I'm a little worried about Jab/Shine/Etc infinites against walls to trap your opponent against a wall until they get KO'd by a scroll, but the last time I saw someone do that, they lost a stock too. If it comes down to 1 stock, and the infiniter wins, as far as I see it, it's just like Bowserciding. The ability to keep your stock after infiniting though is another thing I need to test.

New avatar/location/title

Good **** Papito.

EDIT
And just the fact that I did have to look it up and didn't know what SF2T meant right away kinda proves that nobody really cares anymore.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post quoting you, this is physically painful to read.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
AMERICA **** YEAH!!!

My computer is impressing me extremely right now... because:

a) Swf is not being laggy which is a task to itself
b) I'm converting all of my shows I have on my computer to my ipod which is like atm 26 episodes (for the ones that I haven't gotten done yet)
c) I'm downloading things megafast (200kb/s for one thing and I'm downloading 4 things in total)

I love my computer today. :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ps1 should not be neutral anywhere. people are being biased because it was "neutral" in melee (rofl, no it wasnt) but it REALLY isnt in brawl. The edges are **** - worse than battlefield in melee. The windmill is ridiculous now, camera angles suck - and overall it just is ****ty.

Aesir

Smash Master
The windmill is pretty ****ty..>_>

Don't you also think that shadow moses being banned is a bit harsh? sure it's a walk off level but you have to work to make it walk off.

It usually blocked off by walls.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
True, shadow moses is not that bad and there aren't any hazards. I also personally don't like Frigate. Sure there is a warning sound before it hourglasses, but sometimes I find myself falling off after the switch even when I try to center myself. Characters who can float and fly have a huge advantage here.

Cort

Apple Head
WTF::

From the Album In Rainbows (2007) Do it eBay!
(buy at amazon.com)

15 Step Lyrics
Bodysnatchers Lyrics
Nude Lyrics
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi Lyrics
All I Need Lyrics
Faust Arp Lyrics
Reckoner Lyrics
House Of Cards Lyrics
Jigsaw Falling Into Place Lyrics
Videotape Lyrics
Down Is The New Up Lyrics
Go Slowly Lyrics
Last Flowers Lyrics
Up On The Ladder Lyrics
Bangers And Mash Lyrics
4 Minute Warning Lyrics
/starts the download
----------------------------------------------------------
I'll add yours later today, PoF.

Good **** Papito.
Those are from the vinyl album if you purchased it and didn't get it online (I think?)
ps1 should not be neutral anywhere. people are being biased because it was "neutral" in melee (rofl, no it wasnt) but it REALLY isnt in brawl. The edges are **** - worse than battlefield in melee. The windmill is ridiculous now, camera angles suck - and overall it just is ****ty.
PS1 was most certainly a neutral in melee <_< Fox was just really good on it and made it seem kinda lame, but any other matchup was fine. I kind of get the ledge deal but again, if you know how they work then you make a little extra effort to actually grab onto them, just like people learned with battlefield's ledges.
The windmill is pretty ****ty..>_>

Don't you also think that shadow moses being banned is a bit harsh? sure it's a walk off level but you have to work to make it walk off.

It usually blocked off by walls.
The walls on Shadow Moses are probably worse considering they're on both ends and.. everywhere. Any character that DDD can wall infinite gets destroyed, and when they walls are destroyed then he still has a big advantage with walk off CGs >_>

Good stuff Papito, did you go to the Westport one PC was supposed to go to?

Also thanks for the post Daz, but I really don't see any reason to make Mushroomy Kingdom a counterpick considering it's a walk off ledge/scrolling a vast majority of the time.

I think I'll consider banning Eldin because of your reasons... it really is a gigantic campfesty stage with walk off ledges to boot.

I also thought Luigi's Mansion was borderline neutral, but the whole cave of life and having to destroy the mansion is not necessary. It makes for a solid counterpick and lacks really basic fundamentals I think every neutral should have. This also goes for Halberd and Castle Siege because Halberdd has the annoying claws that can just randomly hit you and castle siege has walk off ledges which could potentially make ridiculously good times for DDD to CG. I think the rest of the neutrals all carry consistent qualities that these stages don't, and I think having many varying neutral stages takes away from the idea of 'neutral' stage? Maybe?

_milktea

Smash Lord
Meh, agreed, I don't really like the walls on Shadow Moses, it just feels like nobody ever dies also <.<.

PS. I spent a good chunk of my night reading super old shout-outs from past tournaments (Esticles, mostly). Crazy how things have changed lolol and people talked to me that I never realized did.

Papito

Smash Journeyman
yea the level is meant for snake cuz all his moves are diesel and his c4 blows them up quick.
i also like the new final destination the new song is all dramatic perfect for the final fight

Cort

Apple Head
I hate the New FD's ledges <_< Why couldn't they just use the stage you fight Tabuu on?

Anyway, edited (I think) for further discussion:

Cort said:
:colorful:EVERYONE READ THIS OR I WILL MURDER YOU:colorful:
The first ever Brawl doubles/Brawl singles ESTICLE will be on April 19th, the day after Jam's event. So I guess people out of state should stay for a nice 2 day brawlfest =D

I just need to figure out a rule set we can all agree on.

4 stock? 3 stock?

Stages: (discuss which you think should be moved where/any that should be changed from singles/doubles)

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Brawl Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks:
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar

Banned Stages:
Bridge of Eldin
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town Aero Dive
Wariorware, Inc.
New Pork City
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Temple
Melee Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Big Blue

THIS IS JUST A ROUGH DRAFT I CAME UP WITH

It is very subject to change via competent discussion. I banned the stages with ******** insane hazards that are just downright stupid, but some of them are a little iffy.

So, discuss away. And make sure you atleast explain why you feel certain things should change.

Papito

Smash Journeyman
i went to the one in rocky hill but like i said they all sucked not real competition like you guys. plus they made me use a wii remote and nunchuk to play, it was nasty feeling to play like that i just played it smart. i got another gay trophy but this time i got a 50 dollar gift card Pc should have went to his thats like a free video game

_milktea

Smash Lord
Holy BALLS Dazwa, I LOVE YOU AND YOUR AVATAR. Wowww, too good. Have dem business cards in your pocket :3?

*Remembers when Aiser did it at MM7 LOOOOL.*

Edit: HAY GUYZ, it's 9AM AND I'M STILL AWAKE ROFLROFL JAPANESE MIDTERM TMRW LAWL AND 7 PAGE ESSAY DEWWWWWWWWWW. I is a bad role model! DON'T EVAR PROCRASTINATE OR YOU END UP LIKE ME BAHAHAHA

XPPPPPPPP

:psycho:

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I thought I'd throw in my opinions as well.

I agree with Dazwa that the Halberd is not a bad stage. I do hate that weird claw that comes out, but the other stage obstacles don't bother me much in comparision to a lot of the other random stuff that happens in stages. I might consider the Halberd as a neutral, but I would have to test that claw out more to be sure. It's really weird, because I've played on the stage five times, and only once did the claw cause me trouble (it hit me at 70% and sent me to the left pretty far, but didn't kill me).

I haven't played Frigate much, but I know that one of the ledges can't be grabbed. I guess otherwise, the stage is okay.

Luigi's Mansion is tough to place as well. I'll have to play this one more.

I don't know the name of the new Ice Climbers stage, but that would be a tough one to place too. You can't grab the edges, and the stage is very obnoxious, but it does make for an effective counterpick.

Instead of banning all of the wall stages or stages where DDD can chaingrab, how about banning the wall infinite and DDD's chaingrab? I'm going out on a limb on this one, but I think it might be nice to have them banned and have a chance to try out more of the stages without fear of dying at 0 percent. Just a thought.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
^ to answer your question later in march theres a 3s and sf2t tourney in the midwest arcade version...>_>

Sorry but sf2t still managed to stay alive, even after 3s came into the picture. Hence why you say melee is basically going to die, is incorrect.
Wow, there is a tournament in the midwest? So in order to participate in a Street Fighter tournament I have to drive all the way out to Iowa? You're right, there is a huge competitive scene.

Trust me, if in a couple years the only melee tournament is in the midwest, you'll consider it dead. Im not being pro-brawl or anti-melee, im just objectively stating what I think is going to happen.

Perhaps if brawl was superior to melee in the competitive sense you would be right. But at this point in time it isn't.
The game JUST came out. You have to give it a chance. If you play it for a while and decide melee is still better, fine. But to ignore the potential that this new game might have is a travesty. You gotta try out all the options. Whatever, its not like I can convince you or am trying to convince you, this is just my opinion, its arguable, accept it, and dont go on with any ad hominem bull.

Cort

Apple Head
The Ice Climber stage can potentially be camped on the same way Hyrule can be due to the obstacle in the center. There's no ledges on the side, theres a really nasty hazard if you happen to fall in the water and the physics get really annoyingly bad when it's sliding down the mountain.

Banning DDD's CG is not something any tournament organizer would ever consider doing because it's not indefinite (as of right now) because there's a number of things that need to be done for it to happen. There's also move degradation on grabs now too so his 'infinite' grab can be escaped at low %s (he has to grab attack you to avoid it just a little). Otherwise, he needs a flat surface to CG on, and it only goes on for however long that surface is if you can actually time it well enough. It works on more than half the cast >_>. However he can do it indefinitely against walls which is why I think stages with very accessible walls should be banned (basically only Shadow Moses Island, because even after you can tear down the walls both sides become walk off ledges). Walk off ledges generally can also promote camping immediately near them for ridiculously easy kills which in general, isn't something I would ban a stage for, but it's just another really negative part about them.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
What about Falco's laser lock? Any stages with walk off ledges should be banned because of the chain grab and the laser lock = automatic KO if pulled off right.

Unless its determined that if you get caught by laser lock you deserve to die.

Cort

Apple Head
I don't know anything about Falco's laser lock other than how very situational it is, and if you can set it up then I wouldn't care. >__>

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
This is a weird proposal, but i think would be pretty awesome.

Since the new FD sucks butt fluid, what if we got everyone to build a standardized new FD in the stage builder and used that. It would be lengthy like the original and would have staight sides so peoples up-b's don't get caught underneath the ledges.

Anyone...Bueller?

Aesir

Smash Master
Wow, there is a tournament in the midwest? So in order to participate in a Street Fighter tournament I have to drive all the way out to Iowa? You're right, there is a huge competitive scene.

Trust me, if in a couple years the only melee tournament is in the midwest, you'll consider it dead. Im not being pro-brawl or anti-melee, im just objectively stating what I think is going to happen.
Thats not the only tourney, you just proved you didn't even look at dazwas post.

You're not objectively stating anything, because honestly you're just throwing out an opinion without any evidence or examples.

I on the other hand have, and now you're just resorting to nit picking to try and get a point across thats not debating thats bickering.

I'm really starting to think if you're just arguing to get on my nerves.

The game JUST came out. You have to give it a chance. If you play it for a while and decide melee is still better, fine. But to ignore the potential that this new game might have is a travesty. You gotta try out all the options. Whatever, its not like I can convince you or am trying to convince you, this is just my opinion, its arguable, accept it, and dont go on with any ad hominem bull.
Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it gives you a "You can't touch me!" shield. It's your opinion so you have to defend it. It isn't a fact so it's open for criticism. You've done a pretty poor job at defending it.

Where in this thread have I been seriously anti-brawl? I'm not talking about those times where I said "**** BRAWL" because I'm always joking when I say that ****.

What you're doing is just trying to find a way to not loose the discussion and it's really not working very well.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Erci, I agree, but why stop there? Why not an exact replica of 64 Dream Land or Kongo Jungle (minus the hazards of course) or even 64 Hyrule Temple. Possibilities are endless. It wouldn't even be hard logistically, just use an sd card and theyll be on every wii at the tournament.

noodles

Smash Champion
they should do some thing like that for tournies as counterpicks.but have a limited amount of stuff you can use and have banned parts. itd be kinda cool

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Thats not the only tourney, you just proved you didn't even look at dazwas post.

You're not objectively stating anything, because honestly you're just throwing out an opinion without any evidence or examples.

I on the other hand have, and now you're just resorting to nit picking to try and get a point across thats not debating thats bickering.

I'm really starting to think if you're just arguing to get on my nerves.

Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it gives you a "You can't touch me!" shield. It's your opinion so you have to defend it. It isn't a fact so it's open for criticism. You've done a pretty poor job at defending it.

Where in this thread have I been seriously anti-brawl? I'm not talking about those times where I said "**** BRAWL" because I'm always joking when I say that ****.

What you're doing is just trying to find a way to not loose the discussion and it's really not working very well.

Dude, are you serious? I NEVER said you were anti-brawl. Don't put words into my posts please. Its not that Im trying not to lose the argument, you are just trying too hard to win. Ill admit, you have a valid point with Street Fighter. I don't think it means definitively that melee will stick around, but at least it gives hope. I was never really aware of the street fighter tournament scene either, but thats prolly because I don't play any traditional fighters like that except for soul cal.

And when you said I wasn't giving any evidence or examples it proved that you dont read MY posts. I used Halo and Melee as an example. The halo tuornament scenes dissipated with each sequel. Halo 3 is obviously the most prominent tournament game right now. That isnt to say that there arent any more halo 2 and halo 1 tournaments, they are just few and far between. Melee pretty much owned the ssb64 tournament scene. And smash is a lot more high profile than street fighter, like halo, so I think it applies more, despite being different genres.

And no, I didn't see Dazwas post, but i can pretty much find a tournament for everything. Im pretty sure there was a Diddy Kong Racing tournament not too long ago at some community center in the area. It doesnt prove anything. Id classify Street Fighter as more of a cult game, it doesnt have the mass appeal and popularity that Smash or Halo has.

But heres another question: what do you think is deeper? Brawl or Street Fighter or even SSB64?

Top Bottom