• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Oscars/Award Season is stupid.

It should be Punishment Season, where performers or artists in the public eye get demolished for putting out terrible work that they get people to waste money on.
-DD
Just leave me in a room with Michael Bay and a blow torch for two minutes. I will make magic happen.

Wes you should just make your avatar a corgi

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
that's pretty much a damn shame. This was one of the best years in recent memory IMHO.
Truth.

O_____O

srsly. 10 nominees???? kind a bs is that?
10 best pic nominees is like the only positive progress the oscars have had in a long time. It allows non-oscar bait movies like the tiny Winter's Bone to be nommed, or genre pics that wouldn't normally get recognition, like Inception.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
10 best pic nominees is like the only positive progress the oscars have had in a long time. It allows non-oscar bait movies like the tiny Winter's Bone to be nommed, or genre pics that wouldn't normally get recognition, like Inception.
nominated, sure. but how much of a difference does it really make?

^^ srs question. i'm quite ignorant when it comes to cinema. except the dark knight wasnt nominated and that pissed off most nonelitists

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I think the academy has something against Christopher Nolan, he's been overlooked so much I think it's something personal at this point. Like, I'd understand him not WINNING best director or best pic for the past fillms he's made, but to not even be NOMINATED. It makes it a joke when the most talented people aren't even recognized.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
nominated, sure. but how much of a difference does it really make?

^^ srs question. i'm quite ignorant when it comes to cinema. except the dark knight wasnt nominated and that pissed off most nonelitists
For smaller movies, like Winter's Bone, it makes a ton of difference. Financially, the movie will get a big bump. It will open up a ton of doors for the creative team behind the film, both behind and in front of the camera. Which, if you're a struggling indie filmmaker, is nice.

I think the academy has something against Christopher Nolan, he's been overlooked so much I think it's something personal at this point. Like, I'd understand him not WINNING best director or best pic for the past fillms he's made, but to not even be NOMINATED. It makes it a joke when the most talented people aren't even recognized.
Seb, I say this with all the love in the world, but grow up, dude. Christopher Nolan makes intricately crafted, exquisite, but mostly emotionless, cold films. His second movie got him a nomination for best original screenplay. The Dark Knight was nominated for eight Oscars. Inception was nominated for eight as well, winning four. You can argue all you want about Academy bias against big-budget genre films (or just genre films in general), but it's not personal against Nolan. He's 40. He's going to direct a historical or small-scale drama at some point in his career and win his Best Director statue.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Seb, I say this with all the love in the world, but grow up, dude. Christopher Nolan makes intricately crafted, exquisite, but mostly emotionless, cold films. His second movie got him a nomination for best original screenplay. The Dark Knight was nominated for eight Oscars. Inception was nominated for eight as well, winning four. You can argue all you want about Academy bias against big-budget genre films (or just genre films in general), but it's not personal against Nolan. He's 40. He's going to direct a historical or small-scale drama at some point in his career and win his Best Director statue.
Why should he have to make a historical or small scale drama to get recognized? I enjoy watching the oscars each year, but it makes it harder for me to care when talented people get overlooked. I guess that makes it part of the competition and keeps things unpredictable. But a certain type of film shouldn't have more affection than another when the craft and story is what matters, not the genre. It's also why comedies are almost never noticed at the oscars and I think only one has ever won best picture in history (Annie Hall, maybe there was another).

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
That's why I said this:
You can argue all you want about Academy bias against big-budget genre films (or just genre films in general), but it's not personal against Nolan.
It's not personal, the Academy just doesn't usually reward genre films that often. Which is stupid, I agree.

eta: I'm sure some comedies won in the 20s-40s
edit edit: yeah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_One_Night ****ing amazing

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i share mine with matthew broderick, large professor, dj premier, benito juarez, timothy dalton, gary oldman, and nobuo uematsu. get jealous.
also, more importantly, march 21 is human rights day or something in south africa, often called anc day after the party that got massacre'd that day...my initials :3 i've owned posters before that already had marked March 21 as "ANC Day" and i'm like you're damn right. :cool:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
i share mine with matthew broderick, large professor, dj premier, benito juarez, timothy dalton, gary oldman, and nobuo uematsu. get jealous.
also, more importantly, march 21 is human rights day or something in south africa, often called anc day after the party that got massacre'd that day...my initials :3 i've owned posters before that already had marked March 21 as "ANC Day" and i'm like you're damn right. :cool:
I read this in Cell's voice.
-DD

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Oh you know I'm just joking, Dylan. In fact, given that I've had a few mix-ups with this before, let me declare this now for everyone to hear/remember/quote to prove me wrong in the future:

I never actually say bad things about people I know, and if I say something that seems negative about someone, I'm almost definitely (99.9%) just ****ing around and attempting to be humorous with various success.

That tenth of a percent is reserved for people I don't actually know that well, like celebrities and Justin Wong.

PS There's like four things I wanna do at PAX during the Brawl tournies that are more fun.

EDIT PPS: Somebody wanna get me this as a late birthday gift? It's so amazing (and available for about another half hour):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230589528195&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'd Heart You Forever!

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Andy Warhol blows, Enver, I'm sorry.

There's nothing redeeming about him. You know how some people just rub you the wrong way? That was Andy Warhol as soon as I saw his work.

And then I found out what kind of person he was. Like, there's nothing good about what he did or who he was. Literally makes me rage just thinking about him and that pretentious modern art bull**** he essentially rocket-started.

Also, bought that custom Enlightened Tutor. It was just too amazing.

EDIT: That movie Factory Girl where Andy Warhol is played by Guy Pearce? It made me want to strangle someone, so... pretty spot-****ing-on.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i just realized i said poster not calendar. midterms are seriously melting my brain. and i don't get to sleep again until 8pm this upcoming evening. cannot wait for spring break.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Also: please suggest any one of your many favorite albums...or your favorite album from your favorite artist :)
Built to Spill - There's Nothing Wrong With Love
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Cat Stevens - Teaser & The Firecat
Sleater Kinney - One Beat
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About (though this isn't fair since it's like the most nostalgic album ever for me... but it ****ing rules)

I share my birthday with Bill Watterson, author/illustrator of Calvin and Hobbes, and Kenji Ito, composer for the Mana games. :cool:
awesome

I share my bday with Beyonce. She's a year younger than me oh God I've done nothing with my life :(

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I also share the same bday with Mark Hamill, Christopher Reeve, and Michael Douglas. That's right I was born on the same day as Luke Skywalker, Superman, and Spartacus' son GET *****

otg

Smash Master
So does anyone else feel like this whole Charlie Sheen being pushed into Memedom thing seems way too forced and unauthentic?
Oh absolutely, but what isn't nowadays? It also happens to be goddamn funny, so let him enjoy his 15 minutes of internet fame, and we'll move on to the next "Bed intruder song" or w'e the **** gets shoved down our throats next.

Top Bottom