• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
...and it was executed like a cliche ridden nightmare that was AT LEAST 30 minutes too long (probably closer to 45-60). I get that it was pretty cool about using 3D technology, but sweet merciful crap... would it kill you to give me some ****ing substance too?
I'll agree that it could have and should have had more substance, but it was made more to impress with visuals and break new ground in technology, which of course it did. However, it's a bit unrealistic to expect every movie coming out to be great in every aspect, the films that do that are rarities and must be treasured whenever they come out. Avatar is not one of those films, but I think it did what it set out to do very well and I enjoyed watching it a lot.

But yes, **** James Cameron for setting this unending 3D bull**** trend. If the rumors are true that The Hobbit is going to be filmed in 3D I'll ****ing murder Cameron myself

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I'll agree that it could have and should have had more substance, but it was made more to impress with visuals and break new ground in technology, which of course it did. However, it's a bit unrealistic to expect every movie coming out to be great in every aspect, the films that do that are rarities and must be treasured whenever they come out. Avatar is not one of those films, but I think it did what it set out to do very well and I enjoyed watching it a lot.

But yes, **** James Cameron for setting this unending 3D bull**** trend. If the rumors are true that The Hobbit is going to be filmed in 3D I'll ****ing murder Cameron myself
look, I'm sorry but I'm not asking for everything, I'm just asking that if you make a 3 hours movie, for the love of god put some plot or clever dialog or reasonably good acting in there. I never understand this argument of like, "hey, it's an action movie! what do you expect?"

I EXPECT A ****ING SCRIPT WORTH READING REGARDLESS OF HOW ****** THE ACTION IS GOD****IT. Not every movie needs to be Pulp Fiction, but can you please hire a screenwriter with a shred of ****ing talent? PLEASE? I know there are plenty of them out there ffs.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i miss hanging out with seb
I miss hanging out with you too Jon, hope to see you before pound 5

look, I'm sorry but I'm not asking for everything, I'm just asking that if you make a 3 hours movie, for the love of god put some plot or clever dialog or reasonably good acting in there. I never understand this argument of like, "hey, it's an action movie! what do you expect?"

I EXPECT A ****ING SCRIPT WORTH READING REGARDLESS OF HOW ****** THE ACTION IS GOD****IT. Not every movie needs to be Pulp Fiction, but can you please hire a screenwriter with a shred of ****ing talent? PLEASE? I know there are plenty of them out there ffs.
Good scripts are hard to come by, I wish for the same thing. But hey, at least Avatar did something interesting with a tired premise instead of wasting my mother ****ing time like Transformers 2 did. Sometimes you just have to overlook some of the flaws and enjoy the overall experience.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Seb misses me so much he forgot how to spell my name, even though we're friends on facebook!

S l o X

Smash Champion
why is the sky blue?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (3 members and 1 guests)
S l o X, tarmacker, SEXY

yo hab, sexy came looking for you.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Avatar would not get NEARLY the amount of **** that it does if it wasn't James Cameron and insanely hyped and the largest B.O. of all time. It's just as "derivative" as Star Wars was. The internet sucks.
300 makes me more worried about superman than this. And yeah it looks like a shallow excuse to have samurais with miniguns and robots and dragons against hot babes, but what's wrong with that? At least we know up front what its all about. Who knows, maybe you'll like it. After all you did enjoy quantum of **** :p
300 was exactly what it needed to be, and sometimes I worry that Snyder didn't even realize how ****ing funny it was. The problem is Watchmen turned out similar to 300.
Sucker Punch isn't a photo exhibit or effects test demo reel. It needs to work as a STORY. And every time a character opens their mouth in the trailer, I want to throw up. Also the dude is so in love with speed-ramping that he even speed ramps the girl WASHING THE FLOOR. :glare:

The Hobbit will not be in 3D.

edit: How have we not talked about The Walking Dead yet? Anybody watching it?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I saw the first episode of the walking dead and thought it was pretty good. I plan on watching the latest one on demand at some point this week.

All in all, I'd say I like it, but I am not super impressed by it.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Rise of the Machines instrumentalllllllllllll

EDIT: And while Vinnie's pretty bad, he does have SOME redeeming lines. On that same JMT track. "Make you see murder like Master P's brother."

Maybe I'm a sucker for puns but I do love that line, even if the other half of that verse sounds incredibly homophobic.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Avatar would not get NEARLY the amount of **** that it does if it wasn't James Cameron and insanely hyped and the largest B.O. of all time. It's just as "derivative" as Star Wars was. The internet sucks.
While I agree to an extent... you still have a set of characters and actors who carry a certain level of charm that lets you forgive the cliche and sub-par writing. All other character comparisons aside, there is no bad guy even close to on par with Darth Vader and there is no hero even close to on par with Han Solo in Avatar. I suppose whether you can relate to Jake Sully or Luke Skywalker or Neytiri or Princess Leia better is somewhat open for debate, but when you start digging deeper into the cast, you're left with **** like Colonel whatshisnuts vs. Darth Vader and that blue guy who was an ******* but then was friends with Jake after Jake stole his girl vs. Han Solo. I mean, really? The supporting cast and how much I care about them in Star Wars is so far above and beyond the counterparts in avatar.

Not to mention that Star Wars also cuts to the ****ing point. It's 41 minutes shorter, which to me indicates that it has some awareness of what it is... an action movie made entirely to entertain. Why are you making your action movie as long as Patton for Christ's Sake? Didn't you realize that I stopped caring about your uncharismatic characters played by mediocre actors 40 minutes ago? At 2 hours, Star Wars is about 10-15 minutes longer than it needed to be. We don't need the ****ing medal ceremony and there's some wasted time scattered throughout the movie, but on the whole, I think they did a **** good job of actually keeping the plot on track and pacing everything well. Avatar on the other hand is like 30 minutes of setup, an hour of sidequests, an hour of climax, and 12 minutes of awkward alien sex scenes.

I dunno, in my mind, there's no comparison. Sure, talking about how it's cliche or derivative doesn't account for all of Avatar's mistakes, I agree, and you can apply the same criticism to classics like Star Wars. But if you're going to be a shallow sci-fi action movie, execute it well and don't waste my time by focusing ENTIRELY on the special effects with no regard for editing, acting, or actually thinking out the plot/characters. There's a reason that I'll be showing my kids a movie from 1977 instead of the crap they feed us now.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I knew someone would quote that and spend a bunch of time typing up comparisons between the two, and why Star Wars was better than Avatar, thus completely missing my point... I just didn't know it would be you, Wes. You....disappoint me, son. You disappoint me.

edit: actual substance: call it too long, but Avatar wasn't poorly edited. They're not the same thing. /film nerd

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
explain your point then because I clearly missed it.

as I said in my post, I can understand being upset with unoriginality being the only complaint that people are giving, but there's a laundry list of reasons why Avatar ultimately sucked as far as I'm concerned. You can make a good movie without doing everything right, but ****ups all over the place add up and eventually make your movie suck even if you're being revolutionary with a new technology.

and fine, it was way too long. I'm not a film nerd, so apparently I can say nothing about the editing. if having the climax be so long and drawn out that I literally stopped caring about what happens less than halfway into the whole final battle doesn't constitute poor editing, I clearly don't know what editing entails or how to pick bad editing out.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
explain your point then because I clearly missed it.

as I said in my post, I can understand being upset with unoriginality being the only complaint that people are giving, but there's a laundry list of reasons why Avatar ultimately sucked as far as I'm concerned. You can make a good movie without doing everything right, but ****ups all over the place add up and eventually make your movie suck even if you're being revolutionary with a new technology.

and fine, it was way too long. I'm not a film nerd, so apparently I can say nothing about the editing. if having the climax be so long and drawn out that I literally stopped caring about what happens less than halfway into the whole final battle doesn't constitute poor editing, I clearly don't know what editing entails or how to pick bad editing out.
Don't be all butthurt babe

I meant the intense microscope put on the movie because of the confluence of hype, money, the internet, James Cameron's quotes, etc is a just a teensy bit unfair. I feel like people stopped judging the film on its own grounds and instead focused on the vortex of **** that surrounded it. The whole "derivative" thing stuck out to me because when virtually any film is put under that intense a gaze, things are going to start to crumble. And then everybody and their mother started parroting "Dances With Smurfs", LOL'd at their own cleverness (...), and smugly proclaimed themselves the corporeal reincarnation of Gene ****ing Siskel.

I get a lot of the complaints about Avatar, and I agree with most of them, I just think in any other case 99% of people would continue to enjoy it regardless. Which is what I did. And I cared throughout the entire final battle- WHICH ONE OF US IS RIGHT OMGGG??!?!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I'm never going to not be butthurt when someone is a condescending prick to me when I try to legitimately pick apart something that they said that I strongly disagree with, sorry. It's all good though, we can still be friends :laugh:.

I think you overestimate how many people would otherwise be willing to overlook what was wrong with Avatar the same way you did. I dunno, maybe I wouldn't be pissed that I didn't care about any of the characters if the movie weren't a hit, but I'm guessing that my ultimate distaste for the movie transcends the need to be a nonconformist hipster who's taste is better than everyone else's.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I'm never going to not be butthurt when someone is a condescending prick to me when I try to legitimately pick apart something that they said that I strongly disagree with, sorry. It's all good though, we can still be friends :laugh:.
rofl

I think you overestimate how many people would otherwise be willing to overlook what was wrong with Avatar the same way you did. I dunno, maybe I wouldn't be pissed that I didn't care about any of the characters if the movie weren't a hit, but I'm guessing that my ultimate distaste for the movie transcends the need to be a nonconformist hipster who's taste is better than everyone else's.
I think you underestimate it.
It's interesting because I followed Avatar's development and release incredibly closely and totally immersed myself in the media storm leading up to it. After being excited by the idea of it, I ended up leaning fairly negative towards it due to the underwhelming clips and trailers. I didn't see it until like 3 weeks after it was released and by that point I was just kind of exhuasted from thinking about it, and sat back and just let it happen to me and really liked it. In IMAX 3D. I can't stress the IMAX 3D enough. I can't imagine seeing it 2D in a normal theater with a meh/bad crowd. I have fairly little interest in ever seeing it again unless it's in imax. Maybe when I get rich I'll rent out an Imax theater and watch that and Speed Racer back to back.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I saw it in IMAX 3D. At first it was really shiny and I was distracted by shiny things. About 90 minutes in, I started wondering why it felt like absolutely nothing had happened yet and got really restless and upset as the movie proceeded to drag on for what seemed like an eternity and I just really couldn't bring myself to care enough about the pretty visuals to overlook everything else.

I'm not disappointed that I saw it, but I was still disappointed by it, if that makes any sense. Even if I could see it in IMAX 3D again, I wouldn't want to. The less new and exciting the visuals are, the more likely I am to continue noticing that there's no other redeeming value to the movie. ...and I think the presence of movies like star wars, that age well but were still special effects treats of their time, just really pisses me off when what we get as the technical showcases of our time will inevitably age extremely poorly due to poor execution on all the non-technical aspects of movie making.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
um, because it does absolutely nothing? we know they're heroes, we just saw it. we saw them rejoice after succeeding. Instead of ending on a high note that feels like real exuberance, we're instead forced to sit through an awkward medal ceremony where literally nothing happens. We see the characters we've grown to know and love over the past 2 hours stand around stiffly and do nothing... it's actually the exact opposite of an epic ending if you ask me. It's a really really dumb and pointless scene imoimoimo.

Top Bottom