• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
The rage is similar to what I experience when watching Anchorman on DVD.

Or the Director's Cut version of Tropic Thunder.
NO ****ING JOKE!
anchorman's whatever edition included a couple of bad scenes but...
tropic thunder's directors cut is just like...the worst. the party scene was not only not fun but completely kills the pace that's been established in the first 25 minutes. it's like the funny has to start all over again. so frustrating.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
They actually managed to make Downey Jr.'s character ANNOYING. WTF.

Frog on the boom-mic? Really?

They added in the deleted scenes and while that's bad enough, they didn't even bother to polish them production-wise to the level of the rest of the movie.

As for Anchorman, all I have to say is one thing:

Catpoop. THAT SCENE NEVER ****ING HAPPENED...WHY? BECAUSE IT'S ****ING TERRIBLE WTF WERE THEY THINKING. **** like this gets me to that "Hitler Finds Out About..." rage status....

Actually no: my main beef with Anchorman on DVD is that it isn't the "whatever edition"
It's the ONLY edition. You can't find the original ANYWHERE because they never made one for DVD afaik :(

Sorry, I save all my nerdrage for butchered comedies because brilliantly crafted ones are so few and far between. So when ones that I really love get butchered for no good reason [though I suppose adding "UNRATED" will boost sales because teenage kids think Unrated = boobies], everlasting toasty rage. They might as well have just replaced the audio with 2 hours of "LOOKIN LIKE PBNJ OUT THERE!"

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
The Scott Pilgrim movie was pretty cool, until I read the books.

I was sad.
I felt the same way sorta, but I still really enjoyed the movie and am glad I saw it. They botched some stuff (unlikable Ramona most notably), but I still think they made a really enjoyable movie that did a pretty good job of representing the books on screen. If nothing else, I would never have read the books without the movie so it must've done something right.

Dave and I have talked a lot about the books vs. the movie and of the course of those talks I came to the conclusion that I can get over everything but the casting choice for Ramona. That was the one really big mistake that didn't do the books justice. The changes in the fights and removal of some peripheral silly nonsense didn't really bother me, but the fact that Ramona never once seemed happy or legitimately interested in Scott throughout the whole movie kinda bugs the hell out of me in retrospect. Still thought the movie was overall good though and it was one of the awesomest date movies I've ever been to.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I felt the same way sorta, but I still really enjoyed the movie and am glad I saw it. They botched some stuff (unlikable Ramona most notably), but I still think they made a really enjoyable movie that did a pretty good job of representing the books on screen. If nothing else, I would never have read the books without the movie so it must've done something right.

Dave and I have talked a lot about the books vs. the movie and of the course of those talks I came to the conclusion that I can get over everything but the casting choice for Ramona. That was the one really big mistake that didn't do the books justice. The changes in the fights and removal of some peripheral silly nonsense didn't really bother me, but the fact that Ramona never once seemed happy or legitimately interested in Scott throughout the whole movie kinda bugs the hell out of me in retrospect. Still thought the movie was overall good though and it was one of the awesomest date movies I've ever been to.
Hivemind.
-DD

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Dude she's like 10.

Go out with me instead. Or just spurn my advances as I lie sprawled on your piano trying desperately to get your attention.

Agreed @ Wes. She was soooo baaaad.

I kinda had the same "what were they thinking" reaction to Gideon in the movie. Honestly, there were only a few characters who I thought they completely nailed (Wallace).

I'm have more to say on this subject but it will have to wait. I'll edit this post later.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i always hate to hear when a book is better than the movie

makes me wish i read it before seeing the film

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
no one rechecks edits, just post again.

I agree that in retrospect Gideon was a bit too goofy and not enough maniacal, but I don't think that that hurt the movie as hard as having a heroine we don't care about. I honestly thought Kim being uninteresting hurt the movie more than Gideon being what he was because I at least think that the villains, even Gideon, are largely peripheral and are just used as tools to learn more about the heroes whom we actually care about, (hence why they're all pretty much just caricatures, Envy honestly had the most depth of any of them in the books IMO)... But I could've gotten over all that because it's about Scott and Ramona and sacrifices must be made to keep it concise, but unfortunately Ramona is 1 out of exactly 3 parts that I really cared about getting botched (the others being Scott [duh] and Wallace [cuz he's ****ing awesome]).

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
generally cuz if the books better i'd have a better time reading it than watching the movie. If i go back and read it now, it won't be nearly as good as it would have not knowing anything about it.

the movie was suprisingly good tho, i got suckered into watching it with some friend and i wasnt sure if i wanted to initially but it turned out to be amazing, and i was in the proper state of mind for it too

I still like the movie, but all of the points presented here (Ramona being unlikeable, Gideon being a weird goof, etc.) become so much more opaque once you read the books. I agree Wallace was really well done though :D

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Did you see them when they were released in theaters? I was in high school and so ****ing excited to finally see them on the big screen. And then Lucas diarrhea'd all over my eyes. Can't wait for the Special Editions to be re-released in theaters in 3D >_> ugh

Anyway I think it's the SE because in the original if you look close you can see cardboard cutouts of people in the crowd, and in this one they are all "human" (cgi doubles) and even sway back and forth to prove they are human even if they way in the background.

I lol'd. God help me, I lol'd.
Eh, I don't notice that ending being screwed up so I think it's fine. But other than that, holy **** the special editions suck my ****. I wasn't even in middle school when they hit theaters iirc, so I was too young to notice how bad it was. Another bad thing, HAYDEN MOTHER ****ING CHRISTIANSAN AT THE END OF JEDI WTF

Some of the changes are outstandingly bad. Jawas acting all goofy in the background of Mos Eisley, the CGI musical number in Jedi, Greedo shooting first. Seriously what the **** was he thinking?
Greedo didn't shoot first? I was a kid when I saw the originals, I don't remember.

The CGI musical in Jedi was the absolute worst. Never cringed more in my life.

They actually managed to make Downey Jr.'s character ANNOYING. WTF.

Frog on the boom-mic? Really?

They added in the deleted scenes and while that's bad enough, they didn't even bother to polish them production-wise to the level of the rest of the movie.

As for Anchorman, all I have to say is one thing:

Catpoop. THAT SCENE NEVER ****ING HAPPENED...WHY? BECAUSE IT'S ****ING TERRIBLE WTF WERE THEY THINKING. **** like this gets me to that "Hitler Finds Out About..." rage status....

Actually no: my main beef with Anchorman on DVD is that it isn't the "whatever edition"
It's the ONLY edition. You can't find the original ANYWHERE because they never made one for DVD afaik :(

Sorry, I save all my nerdrage for butchered comedies because brilliantly crafted ones are so few and far between. So when ones that I really love get butchered for no good reason [though I suppose adding "UNRATED" will boost sales because teenage kids think Unrated = boobies], everlasting toasty rage. They might as well have just replaced the audio with 2 hours of "LOOKIN LIKE PBNJ OUT THERE!"
I have the same feelings for the unrated version of The Hangover. All it had was a few extra scenes that were cut out for a ****ing reason. They weren't funny and were just a waste of time. Now the unrated version of Taken however....

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
seeing cort and brookman made my day :D
i'll see many of you tomorrow even though i'm so burned out on melee. if i win a set tomorrow i'll be surprised, i had more trouble focusing tonight than doing anything else ever. also pizza fingers to replace the term "butterfingers" WRITE THAT **** DOWN

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
all i thought about when i saw this is was nick sitting down while reading what toasty wrote and saying
"oh, bull****"
and finding that

also
star wars is the ****
That is exactly what happened. True story. SEE YOU TOMORROW?!
<3
-DD

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I really liked the Scott Pilgrim movie. I can see how one might dislike it though, especially in comparison to the books (which are superior).

:dazwa:

Top Bottom