• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I have not seen it yet because I don't want the story spoiled for me before I read the graphic novel WHICH I AM DEFINITELY FINALLY STARTING THIS WEEK as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading. I have a copy of Watchmen that's been on my desk for like 2 years and I never made time to read it. I will watch the movie right after I read the novel.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
It's REALLY good. i forget who directed this movie, but they definitely captured the graphic novel feel, but in movie form, i.e. graphic slow-motion violence, really good writing, etc.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i mean, i didnt read the graphic novel, but i really enjoyed the brawl form (as opposed to the original graphic novel melee form)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i mean, i didnt read the graphic novel, but i really enjoyed the brawl form (as opposed to the original graphic novel melee form)
I thought it actually would've been really disorienting and hard to follow without the graphic novel for context, but apparently I was wrong *shrug*.

Graphic Novel is definitely worth a read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I like you. lol. Where you located in CT again now?

Ah HA! That is where you are wrong! I hate a lot of movies that deserve to be hated on. Do not think for a second I hate something unless it had truly awful elements. Liam Neeson happens to be one of my favorite actors, and yes, he is one of the THREE good things about Clash. The other two are, of course, Ralph Fiennes and Gemma Arterton. Every single time any one of these three was onscreen I was enjoying the movie (albeit by ignoring whatever horrible contrivance was taking place), now what does that tell you about the REST of the film?
Obviously the new Clash is not even going to compete with the old one. My god, is that film just a pure classic in a nutshell. It's soooo good and sooo funny all at the same time. Heston of the NRA...lol. Too good. I don't see the new one competing on any level...Did you go into the movie thinking that or did you have competing expectations? I know I don't....I just think it will be fun/entertaining to say the least.

Honestly, I'm excited for the Nightmare On Elm Street remake. Thing is, all horror movie remakes lately have been utter ****. The Omen, Friday the 13th, Halloween II, (I liked one) bah.

The make up for Freddy looks terrible compared to the 80's version....but at the same time much more realistic in terms of burns. I think visually it looks incredible and very promising but I hope it just does not be super random like the omen remake was.

"Hey guys, lets have it take place NOW to really scare people for the next june 6th!"

******* idea.

Mr. Thorn was very nicely picked (the guy from xmen wolverine who play sabretooth) along with Damien but Julia Stiles was horrible and the deaths were all horrible. A good idea/wonderful concept to remake that film because I feel it is a film that should get a remake (not cinderella, peter pan, friday the 13th) but it was poor. The original is my favorite horror movie...i was disappointed.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Hailey, MattDotZeb, and I are such a devastating drunk combo.

Lemme show you one of the many things that happened during this weekend that was said by me:

Hailey-
Me"You ever sucked a mean **** before?" (to complete strangers while I was inebriated)
Girl: "No..."
Me: "Yeah, she's lying." LOL
After that the boyfriend of her was like how dare you disrespect a woman, I'm going to hit you over the head with a water bottle (typical 15/16 yr old trash talk basically you could tell he was just a p1ssy LOL). So I was just like go ahead man I don't even care right now I'm so drunk LOL. Gawd I'm such a troll sometimes haha.

I only read like Joey's post/Hab's post so far ugh no time grrr class.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I walked into Clash with zero expectations, sad.

The Nightmare On Elm Street remake actually looks like it has potential. I saw all the old ones when I was a kid and they scared the **** out of me.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Happy birthday Dave. Still haven't read through and probably am not going to for a while.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
lol elitism, more like realism my friend <3
Taste is subjective. Even if it wasn't, what makes your opinion so authoritative? Have you studied film, Seb? Do you do anything other than watch a lot of movies and post about them on Smashboards?

I can't tell if you're kidding or not (I think it's a bit of both), but you're sounding like a huge douchebag right now. :dizzy:

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Taste is subjective. Even if it wasn't, what makes your opinion so authoritative? Have you studied film, Seb? Do you do anything other than watch a lot of movies and post about them on Smashboards?

I can't tell if you're kidding or not (I think it's a bit of both), but you're sounding like a huge douchebag right now. :dizzy:
I never claimed my opinion was authoritative, I merely stated what I thought of the movie. Notice I also never said anything along the lines of, "Anyone who likes Clash is an idiot", so I cannot possibly sound like a douchebag. I pointed out the major flaws of the film to try and ward people away from seeing it to save them time and money. The subjectivity arguement only works to a certain point anyway, unless I need to quote Gene Siskel again to remind you.

Besides, that would also make you an even bigger d bag for all your arguments about music (bashing Lady gaga was it? or something where everyone was debating whether it was real music or not), and then to call my opinions about film elitist lol

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Well ok, that makes sense HOWEVER it still nullifies the whole subjectivity thing because then it becomes all about personal preference and it doesn't matter if you practice/study it or not. Which is why I hate it when people use that as their argument.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
even roger ebert's review on clash was pretty much "watch it for the lulz"

nightmare on elm street looks ******. it's by far my favorite horror series (the only one i liked enough to buy any copies of, and i bought the entire boxset, what it do)...i'm def pumped for it.

no comment on watchmen. it is what it is. alan moore has yet to approve of any movie versions of his work, but he's a super sellout and whores the rights to the highest bidder anyway, so getting mad about the movie rendition of v for vendetta not fully conveying the anti-capitalist messages had me lolling. lots of mixed feelings about alan moore, but his comics are definitely sick, one level below frank miller in awesome deviance. a good read, i will def comment on that.

did anyone see the new rocket knight trailer? "blast possoming" and many other purposefully bad puns and peek at gameplay got me really excited for it. i think i'mma get it for all 3 virtual consoles. it's that good.

a bunch of casuals want me to teach them tekken, garou, mvc2, smash, and sf...cram session tonight :X

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I never claimed my opinion was authoritative
No?

Ah HA! That is where you are wrong! I hate a lot of movies that deserve to be hated on. Do not think for a second I hate something unless it had truly awful elements.
lol elitism, more like realism my friend <3
How is that not exactly what you're doing here?

The subjectivity arguement only works to a certain point anyway, unless I need to quote Gene Siskel again to remind you.
So I'm supposed to listen to a guy who makes his living by being opinionated explain to me why taste actually isn't subjective after all?

Besides, that would also make you an even bigger d bag for all your arguments about music (bashing Lady gaga was it? or something where everyone was debating whether it was real music or not), and then to call my opinions about film elitist lol
Actually, you're completely wrong, because all I've ever said about Lady Gaga is that I think she's terrible and epitomizes style over substance. I never said I don't think other people should listen to her (my girlfriend likes her) and I never said her music is objectively bad, because there's no such thing as objectively bad. During that particular discussion, I suggested to Cort that the ways in which he enjoys and appreciates music aren't universal and recently I called Ryan a **** for making fun of Matt's taste in music. I joke about it, but I'm really not elitist at all when it comes to music.

Except Dave actually does study, practice, and perform music.
That is true, but I don't think that should mean my opinion is more valuable than anybody else's. I was merely saying that studying film would be something that would cause somebody to believe that their opinion about film is more valuable than the opinions of others, even though it isn't.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I agree to a point. People who play music have a better overall understanding and can have a "more directed" perspective
People who study music have a clearer understanding of the things that we as a culture have learned to regard as earmarks of "good" and "bad" music. That's all.

HAB, I just typed "awff" into Google thinking it was an acronym, but I realized shortly thereafter that I'm ********. Also, I haven't seen the trailer for the new Rocket Knight, but I'm excited about it and <3 you for mentioning it.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
bah, I dunno, they fudged it up pretty hard IMO. it's like they completely missed the point of watchmen and instead just thought the point was the look of the characters, which they did pretty well with.
Pretty much my thoughts for the most part. It had its moments (opening credits, dr manhattan origin) but it jettisoned all subtext in favor of style/fidelity to the comic. Mind, you the creation of the world of the comic was nothing short of amazing, but when it comes at the expense of all meaning and emotion.... well there's a problem. I think the whole movie can be summed up when towards the end Night Owl and Rorschach are confronting the bad guy (spoilers lol) and in between sentences (exposition dialogue) they punch and kick each other across the room.

lmfao

I like you. lol. Where you located in CT again now?

Obviously the new Clash is not even going to compete with the old one. My god, is that film just a pure classic in a nutshell. It's soooo good and sooo funny all at the same time. Heston of the NRA...lol. Too good. I don't see the new one competing on any level...Did you go into the movie thinking that or did you have competing expectations? I know I don't....I just think it will be fun/entertaining to say the least.

Honestly, I'm excited for the Nightmare On Elm Street remake. Thing is, all horror movie remakes lately have been utter ****. The Omen, Friday the 13th, Halloween II, (I liked one) bah.

The make up for Freddy looks terrible compared to the 80's version....but at the same time much more realistic in terms of burns. I think visually it looks incredible and very promising but I hope it just does not be super random like the omen remake was.

"Hey guys, lets have it take place NOW to really scare people for the next june 6th!"

******* idea.

Mr. Thorn was very nicely picked (the guy from xmen wolverine who play sabretooth) along with Damien but Julia Stiles was horrible and the deaths were all horrible. A good idea/wonderful concept to remake that film because I feel it is a film that should get a remake (not cinderella, peter pan, friday the 13th) but it was poor. The original is my favorite horror movie...i was disappointed.
uhh Chuck Heston is not in Clash of the Titans...?

no comment on watchmen. it is what it is. alan moore has yet to approve of any movie versions of his work, but he's a super sellout and whores the rights to the highest bidder anyway, so getting mad about the movie rendition of v for vendetta not fully conveying the anti-capitalist messages had me lolling. lots of mixed feelings about alan moore, but his comics are definitely sick, one level below frank miller in awesome deviance. a good read, i will def comment on that.
wow, what the **** are you talking about? Moore gives up ALL of his film royalties to the artists that worked on the respective book. Besides, (nearly?) all his work that has been made into films has been work-for-hire and not even owned by him. He doesn't own the rights to Watchmen, DC/Time Warner does.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
People who study music have a clearer understanding of the things that we as a culture have learned to regard as earmarks of "good" and "bad" music. That's all.
Dance beats and autotune? Clearly hallmarks of "good" music.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i just realized my game vs solar @ jams tourney was bleh. he picked a stage he already won on (FD) and we chose characters before we chose stage which i think is backwards :o

tarmacker can you play this saturday?

Top Bottom