• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Dear CT Thread,

I've still been to relatively very few tournaments, so I know I've gotta just keep playing to get past nerves and not be salty, etc. But I yesterday I re-watched my first match against Twin A [the set we both knew either of us HAD to win to make it out of R1 Pools at Pound]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89she6lAMc

And it definitely set the tone for the rest of the set, IMO.

I was just curious about everyone else's experiences:

What is your saltiest tournament loss and/or most life-sucking loss (meaning: it contributed greatly to your performance in the rest of the set and "caused" a loss)?

<3,
toasty
Basically, whenever I blow a lead in game 1 of a set I always get angry or depressed and then counterpick something dumb and lose. I remember zero to death-ing AOI first stock and then he came back and I just kind of gave up. :( emo

I can't remember the last time I won a tournament set that mattered. My track record is terrible.

Cog got any tips for becoming a vegetarian?
If you forsee it being really difficult for you, give up cow & pig first, and then chicken, and then fish (but set dates for this). If you don't think it will be that big of a deal, just go for it. It already makes you think about your diet more so use it as an excuse to eat better: more fresh fruit & veggies, whole grains, etc. But honestly the hardest part is if you go out to eat a lot/eat a lot of fast food. If you're going out to eat or ordering delivery, check the menu online first so you don't get there and are like oh hey there's no veggie options :( . If you must eat fast food, taco bell has the most veggie options I think.
Also how much do you buy food for yourself and cook it? There's some really good veggie options in stores right now.

this is pretty complex but...
don't eat meat.
stole ma joke

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
If you forsee it being really difficult for you, give up cow & pig first, and then chicken, and then fish (but set dates for this). If you don't think it will be that big of a deal, just go for it. It already makes you think about your diet more so use it as an excuse to eat better: more fresh fruit & veggies, whole grains, etc. But honestly the hardest part is if you go out to eat a lot/eat a lot of fast food. If you're going out to eat or ordering delivery, check the menu online first so you don't get there and are like oh hey there's no veggie options :( . If you must eat fast food, taco bell has the most veggie options I think.
Also how much do you buy food for yourself and cook it? There's some really good veggie options in stores right now.
What are these "options" you speak of? Right now I'm living at home with the parents so I don't have to worry about buying and cooking food.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
the point is that it's not, cog. check it out.
I'm sure, but the url remains...

Joey: do you just eat what your parents cook? Because that could be a problem if they cook a lot of meat.
But anyways, besides the fact that the American supermarket is the largest selection of food available to the general public in the history of mankind, there's lots of vegetarian options these days, too. Go down the organic aisle and you'll see lots of stuff, from soups to frozen meals. There's a good selection of veggie meat options if you get into that sort of thing. Trader Joe's is really good for this too but I'm not sure if there's any around you? I can give you veggie burger/meat suggestions if you want.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Dear CT Thread,

I've still been to relatively very few tournaments, so I know I've gotta just keep playing to get past nerves and not be salty, etc. But I yesterday I re-watched my first match against Twin A [the set we both knew either of us HAD to win to make it out of R1 Pools at Pound]:

What is your saltiest tournament loss and/or most life-sucking loss (meaning: it contributed greatly to your performance in the rest of the set and "caused" a loss)?
To tell you the truth, I would have to say that this is safely one of my biggest strengths at tournaments.

I guess I would have to say that I thank Brawl for helping me out with my mindset during tournament. I remember when I went to Mass Madness.....11? and I went for Melee. It was the tournament where I met Cog. I had NO intention of entering Brawl singles but I did anyway to pass the time because I knew Brawl would take FOREVER!

I entered confidently in my skills (as a Marth player....this is when I just started using Marth and got rid of Meta Gay) and acted as if the tournament wasn't a big deal and did not phase me at all.

With that attitude I learned that I should do the same for Melee.....be confident with how good I am, but don't get all super into it and think too hard. I guess I just snapped that day and learned how I perform well in tournament.

Couple of situations:

ROM 1: Kyu Puff was beating me in friendlies for the most part and my Marth was looking like ***. I wasn't playing too good that day but completely settled down and relaxed during tournament. ROM 1 was my second (maybe first?) pools tourney ever and I was not too familiar with the setup.

Anyway I played Kyu Puff in my pool and 2-1'd him because I exploited his weakness and really got inside his head. He's a really solid player for an IC's main but once something stupid happens or he starts doing poorly he really loses control and all mentality. He gets frustrated really easily and he really needs to work on that. At least last time we played that is.

I played a set with some random scrub and four stocked him game one on FOD with my Marth practically laughing my way to victory. Game two: He asked me where to go. I started to say Pokemon Stadium...but then switched to DL. He ****ing counter picked PS and I was like "That will teach me to never do that ever again!" I was down 3 stocks to one and was getting annihilated because I took him lightly and wasn't taking the match seriously. I relaxed, calmed down, and came back from a three stock lead to beat him 2-0.

At Iron Chef against HERO I had a 3 stock lead game one on FD in Marth dittos and he came back to me. My worst loss ever in tournament. Marth dittos are dumb. Second match he had a 3 stock lead on FD and I brought it back to one stock. I lost the set 2-0. If I had won I would have faced Mogwai for 11th place.

At pound 4 VS Cashmooney I lost game one in Marth dittos by 3 stocks. Game two I came back and 2 stocked him and then took the set on Yoshis game three to advance to round 2 of pools.

Basically, I think that the strongest thing that I have going for me as a player is that my mindset is really good. I never lose my cool in tournament but in friendlies, thats another story. lol.

I guess I just always think back to crazy upsets or comebacks to help motivate me. You never know what could happen unless you try your hardest.

OMG thanks Garrett! Been looking for this forever.
No problem man.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
I used to have quite a number of these back in the day.

Worse one i can remember was vs Lord Knight. Got daired thru brinstar at 0 and died. He was at high %. I dont remember how I got under the stage in the first place but i was effed up mentally for a while.
ive become very fond of west coast underground hiphop

>_>
i dont kno much about west coast hip hop at all

besides crip walking

who r u listening to?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
tbh toasty you were playing pretty :( that match.

shoulda asked me for a bj

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
ive become very fond of west coast underground hiphop

>_>
SLOX is now officially ma *****.

Hiero, Souls, People Under the Stairs, Foreign Legion. You can throw Mike Relm in there since he's from San Fran even though he doesn't actually rap.

Swollen Members are from Vancouver, do they count? Their recent stuff is god awful but their first album is an effing milestone.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
:D I like meat~

Also, Joey doesn't like much dairy, so I told him to go vegan.

Awww yeah. More bacon for me.
-DD

S l o X

Smash Champion
i dont know **** about music but honestly todays wc underground sounds soo classic.

i never realized the huge difference between ec / wc rap/hh

ima keep lookin around. im definitely liking what you listed hab

**** i never really got into music, just listened to what was there (at least for rap/hip-hop) i really like the laid back type of music too.

insert more post here because i type alot of nonsense

(dont get mistaken tho half the time im a mainstream ***** D:)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I really, REALLY hated that movie.

Dear CT Thread,

<3,
toasty
The very first time I played Awsmsean, Luigi vs. ICs, he beat me in round one. Round 2, I CP FoD, and 3-stock him. Round 3, same characters, FoD comes up on random select (**** you Dave's Stupid Rule), and I lost the match.

I still have no explanation.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Joey: do you just eat what your parents cook? Because that could be a problem if they cook a lot of meat.
But anyways, besides the fact that the American supermarket is the largest selection of food available to the general public in the history of mankind, there's lots of vegetarian options these days, too. Go down the organic aisle and you'll see lots of stuff, from soups to frozen meals. There's a good selection of veggie meat options if you get into that sort of thing. Trader Joe's is really good for this too but I'm not sure if there's any around you? I can give you veggie burger/meat suggestions if you want.
Dinner's usually composed of 1-2 vegetable dishes and 1-2 meat dishes along with a bowl of rice. I'm good. I'm going to miss eating eggs though.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
To tell you the truth, I would have to say that this is safely one of my biggest strengths at tournaments.

I guess I would have to say that I thank Brawl for helping me out with my mindset during tournament. I remember when I went to Mass Madness.....11? and I went for Melee. It was the tournament where I met Cog. I had NO intention of entering Brawl singles but I did anyway to pass the time because I knew Brawl would take FOREVER!

I entered confidently in my skills (as a Marth player....this is when I just started using Marth and got rid of Meta Gay) and acted as if the tournament wasn't a big deal and did not phase me at all.

With that attitude I learned that I should do the same for Melee.....be confident with how good I am, but don't get all super into it and think too hard. I guess I just snapped that day and learned how I perform well in tournament.

Couple of situations:

ROM 1: Kyu Puff was beating me in friendlies for the most part and my Marth was looking like ***. I wasn't playing too good that day but completely settled down and relaxed during tournament. ROM 1 was my second (maybe first?) pools tourney ever and I was not too familiar with the setup.

Anyway I played Kyu Puff in my pool and 2-1'd him because I exploited his weakness and really got inside his head. He's a really solid player for an IC's main but once something stupid happens or he starts doing poorly he really loses control and all mentality. He gets frustrated really easily and he really needs to work on that. At least last time we played that is.

I played a set with some random scrub and four stocked him game one on FOD with my Marth practically laughing my way to victory. Game two: He asked me where to go. I started to say Pokemon Stadium...but then switched to DL. He ****ing counter picked PS and I was like "That will teach me to never do that ever again!" I was down 3 stocks to one and was getting annihilated because I took him lightly and wasn't taking the match seriously. I relaxed, calmed down, and came back from a three stock lead to beat him 2-0.

At Iron Chef against HERO I had a 3 stock lead game one on FD in Marth dittos and he came back to me. My worst loss ever in tournament. Marth dittos are dumb. Second match he had a 3 stock lead on FD and I brought it back to one stock. I lost the set 2-0. If I had won I would have faced Mogwai for 11th place.

At pound 4 VS Cashmooney I lost game one in Marth dittos by 3 stocks. Game two I came back and 2 stocked him and then took the set on Yoshis game three to advance to round 2 of pools.

Basically, I think that the strongest thing that I have going for me as a player is that my mindset is really good. I never lose my cool in tournament but in friendlies, thats another story. lol.

I guess I just always think back to crazy upsets or comebacks to help motivate me. You never know what could happen unless you try your hardest.

No problem man.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Dinner's usually composed of 1-2 vegetable dishes and 1-2 meat dishes along with a bowl of rice. I'm good. I'm going to miss eating eggs though.
i eat eggs. yum fetus. yay stem cell research >.>;

I really, REALLY hated that movie.
my friend described it as "quentin trying to dicover a way to pretentiously jerk off to himself."

Top Bottom