• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
In kill bill, why do they bleep out the woman's name?
some say dramatic effect...it was originally cut to be one LONG-*** movie but they later decided to split it into two parts and release them separately...which is to say: Vol. 2 isn't really a sequel.

But it makes her less human and accessible; the focus isn't on her but on her mission and the back-stories. Vengeance ends up playing the driving force of the film (See Also: Old Boy) instead your mind being cluttered with any chance of a thought of seeing her as a regular human being.

If you haven't seen Vol. 2, stop reading:

I don't remember if her full name was ever said in Vol. 1 and was then bleeped, but it evokes a different response when you hear Bill call her "Kiddo" than it would if you already knew that was her last name. That, in itself, helps flesh out the relationship between Bill and Beatrix, as well as sheds some light on Bill's character.

toasty

Smash Hero
hah well I mean that's FL...I thought I was close to FL when I moved here [which excited me because a good good friend from VA moved to Florida in March]

then I found out that even after traveling 9 1/2 hours south of VA, I was still like SEVEN hours away from where my friend was XD

but yeah, getting out to FL will be a chore (mostly because it will require me to take more time off and, ultimately, pay my employees more money to cover for me) but I'll try for sure =D

It's hard enough earning enough brownie points to warrant the time off that I'm taking for Pound!

At most I take one extra day off every 5 weeks or so...for Pound I'll be needing to take 2 or 3 days off on top of my already-off Sunday.

'Ejo'

Smash Rookie
I live in that big fat state Other Name: Larx
****!!! Bill Went Down!

and after kill bill ended there was this show called "Wrong" that was only on for 10 minutes.

at the start of it showed a man blowing something up after that they show that it was a blow up doll. he lays the artificial African American blow up doll on his bed, gets naked and starts humping it for 4 minutes. rolls over on to the other side of the bed and starts to cry. After that was all over, he takes it to the bathroom and showers it cleans, squeeze the air out and wraps it up back in the packaging and brings it back to the sex store for his money back. WHOLE ****ING 10 MINUTES THE END.

Now pulp fiction is on.

White_Mike

Smash Lord
toasty;9125044Random Link--- I forgot how ****ing AWESOME this concert was...I'm SO glad I recorded it =D [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1JcbMhKZrY[/url]
I'm going to their Christmas Show December 30th!

Mostly for Glassjaw but I saw Thursday at warped a couple years back and they put on amazing live shows.

toasty

Smash Hero
I'm going to their Christmas Show December 30th!

Mostly for Glassjaw but I saw Thursday at warped a couple years back and they put on amazing live shows.
niiiice, mad jealous!

and dude...Zoso....holy ****.

Oh and I forgot to mention, that match you posted of you vs. Hax? Gooood ****! I could see that hyperfocus haha...sad ending to the set, though :(

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARRETT!
Happy birthday Garrett!
happy birthday, pof.
happy b-day senor fire!
happy birthday garrett !
happy birthday King of Flames
Happy B Day POF
Happy bday Garret!
happy bdai garret
Happy berfday poffy!
Skler came into CT thread to wish me Happy Birthday. Awesome! <3

Learn Mewtwo!
Happy birthday Garrett!
Thanks Everyone!

I kind of like Playing Mewtwo sometimes. D smash edge guards against spacies are cool. When I get a dair off with Mewtwo I feel so manly and his bair is fun for edge guarding.

I just started playing M Bison and Cammy in Street Fighter IV last night and won 8 in a row by going Random EVERY TIME. <3

Bison is really good against the likes of Ken, Ryu, and anyone who really likes to use Anti-airs. I can't wait for Super Street Fighter IV. Cody and Guy look incredibly fun. Definitely going to pick those two up and play around with em.

Anyone for Smash today or tomorrow? I'm heading back to my place in a little bit. I spent the night at my house because of snow and such.

DD? Bolt? Swift? Trademark? Anyone? Mike $?

I really want to play someone I haven't played in a while.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Toasty: Yeah, I should've had that but w/e. Hax is still better than me.

I saw Avatar last night. I kind of wish I hadn't seen it in 3D. The glasses gave me a headache and the 3D really only served to obfuscate the action in some of the busier scenes. At some point, I decided I'd deal with the blurry images and take off the glasses, only to discover that I couldn't read the subtitles. The movie WAS visually spectacular—I was really impressed by the designs of the Pandoran flora and fauna—but the 3D basically gave the appearance of a flat character slightly afore of another flat character with flat scenery behind them (pop-up book, basically). I was also annoyed by the shots that seemed to serve no apparent purpose other than to say, "Hey check out the cool visual effects."

The plot was rather predictable. I understand that it's basically an action film and it's not supposed to have an incredibly complex plot, but a few things in particular were ridiculously telegraphed (Jake rides Toruk, eventually is reborn as a Na'vi). Most of the characters are either exaggerated Hollywood stereotypes (Quaritch, Parker) or so one-dimensional that I didn't even care about them (every other human character), not even at the end when Cameron kills off like 10 principal characters in 30 seconds. There were a few little things that just didn't make sense; what happened to the gigantic bulldozer? There was no feasible way at all to repair the cameras, or even drive it manually? The Na'vi are generally hunter-gatherer types and prefer stalking their prey and fighting through subterfuge over direct confrontation, so in the face of a heavily armed contingent of human troops, why do they charge headlong to their deaths? Why didn't they use the terrain to their advantage, which is exactly what Jake said they would do? For that matter, why is there even a human force on the ground? Why are these people anywhere near the site that they're going to be nuking into oblivion? What purpose do they serve? Aside from the fact that the whole idea of the animals saving the day is completely campy, why do the forces of nature choose to aid the Na'vi when a white guy (oops I mean human) takes the helm and not at any point before that?

All complaints aside, I thought it was pretty good. I certainly don't REGRET seeing the movie by any means, but it didn't really live up to the hype for me. I'd watch it again, but I wouldn't pay to see it in a theatre again.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The only aspect of Avatar I found weak was the dialogue. Everything else was near perfect. Of course the plot was predictable, you could tell that from the trailer it was the same story of Dances with Wolves. That's not the point. The point is Cameron is telling the story in a NEW better way. It's the improved execution of the same story we've seen before. And he did a **** great job. I haven't seen it in 3d yet (will do that asap), but it still looked ****ing amazing at Uptown.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Of course the plot was predictable, you could tell that from the trailer it was the same story of Dances with Wolves. That's not the point.
I'm sorry, but it bugs me when people talk about any piece of art like they know "the point."

Having a predictable story is a bad thing. Do you care to disagree? If you choose to excuse it, I can't blame you, but does that mean I should?

Seb you need to get off that James Cameron meat.
Lol.

otg

Smash Master
The more I read Zoso's posts, the more I like the guy. **** all these movies that rely only on the CG to carry the story. If I wanted to be amused by explosions and special effects I woudl get baked and play GTA.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Hey. Just wondering, is there anybody left who actually plays both Melee and Brawl that would enter both of them at a tourney anymore?

I know PoF will enter both but prefers Melee. And probably wouldn't want to play both at one tourney cause it'll screw up his Melee game. Same with Icy, Darc and Dazwa as far as I remember.

Working out a schedule for my next tourney and I'm thinking of just running Brawl and Melee at the same time so that Melee can have a full on schedule like they deserve and it'll be more worth traveling for CT.

Input is very appreciated.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm currently considering having Melee Run at the same time as Brawl. And trying to figure out if people will be pissed or happy. (There seems to be very little cross over players left in this region.)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm sorry, but it bugs me when people talk about any piece of art like they know "the point."

Having a predictable story is a bad thing. Do you care to disagree? If you choose to excuse it, I can't blame you, but does that mean I should?

Lol.
If you disliked every movie with a predictable plot, you wouldn't enjoy most movies. Did you also dislike Titanic for this reason?

It is surely impossible for EVERY film that comes out to be original, that would defeat the purpose. You accept something with a predictable plot and instead focus on the execution. Otherwise, you shouldn't be watching movies because you will hate the majority of them. Also, if you didn't realize what was going to happen in Avatar based on the trailer, then I don't know what to say to you. If you don't enjoy predictable movies, don't see them. It's as simple as that.

I'm not calling it a good thing, what matters here is HOW it's done. This is filmmaking, it's telling a story. Now if that story happens to be unoriginal, then you see it to see how it's told.

You are missing the "point".

otg

Smash Master
If you disliked every movie with a predictable plot, you wouldn't enjoy most movies. Did you also dislike Titanic for this reason?

It is surely impossible for EVERY film that comes out to be original, that would defeat the purpose. You accept something with a predictable plot and instead focus on the execution. Otherwise, you shouldn't be watching movies because you will hate the majority of them. Also, if you didn't realize what was going to happen in Avatar based on the trailer, then I don't know what to say to you. If you don't enjoy predictable movies, don't see them. It's as simple as that.

I'm not calling it a good thing, what matters here is HOW it's done. This is filmmaking, it's telling a story. Now if that story happens to be unoriginal, then you see it to see how it's told.

You are missing the "point".
This post is actually the main reason I dont go out to the movies anymore.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Me said:
The plot was rather predictable. I understand that it's basically an action film and it's not supposed to have an incredibly complex plot
I get that. I understand that a movie doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be good, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying when a movie completely telegraphs its every twist and turn. On top of that, the stuff that WAS unexpected didn't make any sense.

You are also assuming (for no real reason) that I completely ignored the "how" and watched the movie expecting some revolutionary masterpiece that would change my life, which really couldn't be more wrong.

It's really easy to say, "You just don't get it," rather than actually addressing my criticisms or maybe just accepting that I look for different qualities in a film than you and just plain wasn't as wowed by it as you are.

If you'll remember, I said I thought it was "pretty good" in spite of the things that I didn't like about it. Why are you going all rabid fanboy on me?

OH right because you're a rabid fanboy.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I get that. I understand that a movie doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be good, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying when a movie completely telegraphs its every twist and turn. On top of that, the stuff that WAS unexpected didn't make any sense.

You are also assuming (for no real reason) that I completely ignored the "how" and watched the movie expecting some revolutionary masterpiece that would change my life, which really couldn't be more wrong.

It's really easy to say, "You just don't get it," rather than actually addressing my criticisms or maybe just accepting that I look for different qualities in a film than you and just plain wasn't as wowed by it as you are.
Not really, I never said everyone would think it's a masterpiece. But I think you criticizing it in any way based on the predictability is rather shallow. That's all my previous post was addressing. Dislike it for other reasons if you must, but something like that is a given in a movie like this.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think it's fair to say that the point of Avatar is to showcase an incredible new visual technology. James Cameron spent years developing new camera techniques, not new story-telling techniques.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I mean yeah, this is James Cameron we're talking about here. You can sum up all his big movies in five words or less:

Terminator- Run from the robot
Terminator 2- Run from the robot again
Titanic- spoilers: the boat sinks

No one would seriously suggest that these aren't great movies, but complaining about the lack of plot in any of them is really missing the point. I haven't seen Avatar, but from all indications it fits perfectly into Cameron's known style of movie making.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I mean yeah, this is James Cameron we're talking about here. You can sum up all his big movies in five words or less:

No one would seriously suggest that these aren't great movies, but complaining about the lack of plot in any of them is really missing the point. I haven't seen Avatar, but from all indications it fits perfectly into Cameron's known style of movie making.
And this is why I love you Jam <3

ZoSo

Smash Champion

This why I don't love you anymore, Jam. :mad:

I wouldn't be surprised if I've already posted this, but everybody should watch it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumScDIZMJc

trademark0013

Smash Champion
speakin of avatar, i just saw it in 3D

it was visually stunning
plot was predictable. i just did research on the cherokee and british and saw parallels

but still a great *** movie. i recommend everyone to see it

not gonna go into anymore details unless asked b/c ppl have this way of thinking that involves defending opinions based off opinions

trademark out

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I dunno if anyone watches it since there's no Ken anymore, but Survivor was
disappointing

The good news is that next season is going to be an all-stars season! LETS DO THIS KEN, MAYBE

EDIT: Just found out through a casting list that Ken isn't on Season 20. ****.

Top Bottom