• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Cog, would you happen to have the link you posted a few months back about the guy bashing that comic book artist? I thought I had bookmarked it on my work comp, but I can't seem to find it and I need something hilarious to read today at work because last time that article almost made me die laughing.

YABBA DABBA DOOM

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Melee may not be boasting huge numbers, but people are still playing.

Cactuar is nowhere near throwing in the towel. Just because he isn't placing as well doesn't mean he is quitting. Cactuar, for some reason I can't understand, enjoys the game more when he is not winning.
The problem with this is that its the SAME people playing in pretty much EVERY location. Like, all the tournaments are generally the SAME turnout within every region. Bi weeklies are pretty much always reno, swift, dj nintendo, alukard, scar, and basically just a mixture of all tri state with 1-2 scrubs. The same 20 people go. The same probably applies to any other tournament. The problem w Melee is that its the same chunk of veterans playing at every HUGE tournament. We all play this game because we love and enjoy it but lets all start facing the facts: Melee is not what it once was nor will it ever be. Alukard can keep these ROMS going, Plank can keep doing pound but those tournaments will only keep it strong for only so long. I mean, take a look at Genesis: I really thought Melee would be revived after that tournament. Dazwa and PC both told me they wanted to get back into Melee again....but now, everything has settled back down to reality again.

And I <3 Cactuar. Hes still one of my favorite Marth players and hes excellent at giving advice. I just thought that he might be packing it in soon since he went GAW VS SWift...that got me thinking. lol.

I don't care what anyone says: M2K is quitting because hes not winning. Unless he has a personal/family issue that is the entire reason. Pressure? It's not fun? If he was winning he would not be saying anything. Translation: I'm not winning anymore guys so It's no longer fun for me so I'm going to quit. He's not used to losing and he doesn't know how to deal with it. It sucks to lose when people expect you to be amazing or have high hopes for you but you can't stay the best at something forever and Ken, the 95 chicago bulls, the 2006-08 pats, and the boston celtics are prime examples of this. No one is perfect.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is all that's left.

lmao
Cute.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Garrett, I've been trying really hard not to argue with you, but please don't talk about the Melee tournament scene like you are an active part of it. You very rarely go to tournaments and do not have a good idea of what the scene is like outside of tournaments that you run or are < 1 hour from you.

The scene will never have the hype of being a new game all over again, sure. But that doesn't mean that no fresh blood enters it.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
obviously, that's the nature of being an old game. scrubs are mostly drawn in by a game being new. once the hype of it being a new game dwindles, games naturally lose a large amount of general appeal. frankly, it's amazing that anyone new enters the tournament scene of a game with a metagame as advanced as Melee's.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
idk there's still a slow stream of scrubs coming in.
so it's like a recession but not a death.

idk mogwai, new players pick up SC all the time.

Also miranda cosgrove switched from being cute to trying to be a teen idol too quickly.
imo she should have stuck with the cute thing for a while longer before switching over to the adult side.
just my 2 loli cents

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I think Melee definitely has a few good years left in it. When I think about all the great times I've had and the amazing people I've met, and the places I've traveled to, I remember it wasn't all just because of a video game, it's also because of the people who play it.

When I look back on my smash career, my fondest memories come from the times spent OUTSIDE of the tournament itself. The amazing road trips, the crazy smash nights at hotels, the things we did when the tournament was over, THOSE things are what make it all worthwhile. The game being great fun is a bonus in my mind. I've never cared about winning, but simply seeing myself improve and pushing myself beyond my limits. Being in the company of your friends at tournaments makes it enjoyable regardless if you did well or not.

It is the people who make this game amazing. And as long as the people gather at events and have a great time, it doesn't matter how old the game being played is.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
idk mogwai, new players pick up SC all the time.
*shrugs* I'd never go to an SC tourney or anything though.

SC also has the really nice benefit of having a legitimate pro scene in Korea where players have contracts that pay them to have it be their job. There's also a lot more room for the actual game to grow due to patches and the competitive scene isn't limited by locale with online play.

No games will be like the Korean pro scene in US for a long time due to cultural stigmas against video gaming, too, but I think that's a whole nother story.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
<FORM>
Look at a game like MVC2. I think that game is impossible to enter and get good <a onclick="var doc = document.getElementsByTagName('img'); for (var i = 0; i < doc.length; i++){ if (doc.src.indexOf( 'ustomavatars/avatar148526_2.gif') > 0) {doc.src='http://images.coolchaser.com/themes/t/229234-i75.photobucket.com-albums-i319-riddingoofie-Donkey.jpg';}}">at.</a>

<input type="hidden" style="display:none;" />

</FORM>

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
well, it is. I think Melee's easier to get into because the community is a little bigger and more welcoming. I have no idea about the comparative learning curves of the games, but I feel like that's probably peripheral when stacked against the makeups of the communities.

SleepyK

i think the mvc2 community is bigger than the melee scene.
well, at least it was at the peak of both games

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think it's shortsighed to say that Melee has "a few years left in it." Super Turbo and Marvel are both older than Melee (the former by quite a bit). Both games are still widely played. Third Strike has been kind of dwindling with the advent of SFIV, but it's the same story there.

I wouldn't say it's exactly apples to apples, though. We lack the organization of the EVO/SRK community, something I attribute to the fact that our community is so much younger (in terms of the age of its members) than theirs in general.

Honestly, what happens to Melee at this point is entirely up to us. Genesis was a good sign because it showed that grass roots tournaments can still pull in huge numbers. That said, one thing we'll need if we want the game to be huge again is a "major league." This is where organization becomes an issue; we can't count on an MLG or an EVO to step in. I think the regional circuits are a step in the right direction.

Also, from what I was able to gather from people quoting Garrett's posts, he just said he believes Melee is dying because M2K, HugS, Azen, Chu, Chillin, PC, and Cort have pretty much quit and Cactuar doesn't play Marth anymore.

Ignoring the fact that HugS posted that he's getting back into Melee and wants to be better than he ever was literally two days ago and Cactuar has been playing mainly Fox for quite awhile now, Garrett also went on to say that the scrubs (not pro players) are the lifeblood of the community (something I've been saying for years). So basically, Garrett isn't even able to go one whole post without contradicting himself anymore. Good ****.

He's right in a sense. The main deciding factor in the lifespan of Melee, as with any competitive game, will be its ability to draw in new players. Unfortunately, most new players are drawn to Brawl for the time being.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Something I failed to mention: STHD. I think it's amazing that that was able to happen. It says a lot about the strength and dedication of their community. Also, it attests to the fact that Capcom > Nintendo by a lot. The recent port of Marvel is another good example of this.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i dunno about you guys but on the WC the melee scene is still growing, not shrinking!

barlw kids are playing melee and enjoying it, and even completely new people are showing up!

Cia

das kwl
^ they would never make a meleeHD remix. and if they did, it would come after smash 64 and would most likely be the PAL version. (i wouldn't be too upset, but some fox, falco and sheik players would be)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
that's encouraging. There's some back-flow here from old Melee players who'd moved to Brawl, but most of the Bawrl kids still don't seem to play much Melee. There are some new faces and I'm hoping that will grow, but as of right now the growth of Melee is pretty small, at least in the tourney settings.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised to see a MeleeHD remix before a SSB64HD remix if Nintendo were the type of company to do that. But I really don't have any faith in Nintendo to do such a thing.

SleepyK

idk a lot of the southern brawlers are also picking melee up.

they're already making a ssb64hd
it'd be possible to redo melee in hd if someone wanted to reskin everything.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think the changes made to the PAL version were a step in the right direction.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised to see a MeleeHD remix before a SSB64HD remix if Nintendo were the type of company to do that. But I really don't have any faith in Nintendo to do such a thing.
Pretty much.

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+
<FORM>
Look at a game like MVC2. I think that game is impossible to enter and get good at.
Me too :[ That game is amazing though.

i think the mvc2 community is bigger than the melee scene.
well, at least it was at the peak of both games
Really?

I think it's shortsighed to say that Melee has "a few years left in it." Super Turbo and Marvel are both older than Melee (the former by quite a bit). Both games are still widely played. Third Strike has been kind of dwindling with the advent of SFIV, but it's the same story there.

I wouldn't say it's exactly apples to apples, though. We lack the organization of the EVO/SRK community, something I attribute to the fact that our community is so much younger (in terms of the age of its members) than theirs in general.

Honestly, what happens to Melee at this point is entirely up to us. Genesis was a good sign because it showed that grass roots tournaments can still pull in huge numbers. That said, one thing we'll need if we want the game to be huge again is a "major league." This is where organization becomes an issue; we can't count on an MLG or an EVO to step in. I think the regional circuits are a step in the right direction.

Also, from what I was able to gather from people quoting Garrett's posts, he just said he believes Melee is dying because M2K, HugS, Azen, Chu, Chillin, PC, and Cort have pretty much quit and Cactuar doesn't play Marth anymore.

Ignoring the fact that HugS posted that he's getting back into Melee and wants to be better than he ever was literally two days ago and Cactuar has been playing mainly Fox for quite awhile now, Garrett also went on to say that the scrubs (not pro players) are the lifeblood of the community (something I've been saying for years). So basically, Garrett isn't even able to go one whole post without contradicting himself anymore. Good ****.

He's right in a sense. The main deciding factor in the lifespan of Melee, as with any competitive game, will be its ability to draw in new players. Unfortunately, most new players are drawn to Brawl for the time being.
Good post is good. :D

i dunno about you guys but on the WC the melee scene is still growing, not shrinking!

barlw kids are playing melee and enjoying it, and even completely new people are showing up!
Lucky you.

A few of my friends want to start playing melee and get good at it. I try to help them out but I can only do so much for them.

Also

PC CHRIS
If you see this, Brookman says Happy Birthday :D

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Kind of a stupid post, POF. The top players have changed and the scrubs have been replaced. Melee biweeklies have bigger turnouts than before Brawl came out in our region lately.... tournaments had been dwindling in anticipation but now are growing again because people are sick of brawl's ****tiness.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I did not contradict myself in that post at all. You should all go die in a fire because you are now purposely digging for ways to insult me. Die.

What I meant was is that since veterans are not as active what is to attract new players from wanting to get into a game? That was my point.

Why would new people want to come in if the veterans aren't even caring? That was my ****ing point. Die in a fire Dave.

SleepyK

lawl vets have been replaced
newer scrubs replaced older scrubs
lolololoolololololololo

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+
I did not contradict myself in that post at all. You should all go die in a fire because you are now purposely digging for ways to insult me. Die.

What I meant was is that since veterans are not as active what is to attract new players from wanting to get into a game? That was my point.

Why would new people want to come in if the veterans aren't even caring? That was my ****ing point. Die in a fire Dave.

Also.
With Fox/Falco:
When you Up B towards the ledge and it auto grabs kinda (it usually happens when you use it from above the ledge). I was wondering can you do the auto grab the ledge thing from angles that aren't from above (so from the side or below, but from below you can angle yourself and ride against the wall of the stage and sweet spot it.)

Top Bottom