• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
To every adult bored at work who is upset at said organizers new found apathy because it ruins his fun for the last 10 minutes before a meeting, get over to teamliquid forums.
Since when is my apathy new found?

I thought I've always been a rather apathetic smasher with occasional outbursts when bored?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
WOW that's a real shame, because the manga is a masterpiece of episodic storytelling and is one of the best ever. The live action movies are gloriously violent slightly cheese samurai fun.
****, now I REALLY have to check it out along with Watchmen. Holy **** I have a month and 2 days left before the movie comes out.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
lone wolf + cub is amazing.
kevinm isn't responding to me ;-;

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I like that my opinion means so much to you, thumbs. lol
You def need to read Watchmen before the movie comes out.

Weird aside: Darren Aronofsky was attached to a Lone Wolf movie a while ago.... never happened...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ahh, quit metagaming me.

This incorrect use of metagame has been brought to you by Folgers

"The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup"

Hi SleepyK ^_^

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I like that my opinion means so much to you, thumbs. lol
You def need to read Watchmen before the movie comes out.
As a general rule of thumb, you DO have decent taste in literature. Same with Jam and Aesir. Thumbs is my "go to" man when it comes to anime, though (except for the Darker Than Black recommendation; that goes to Aesir <3).

Yes, I've been stalking this thread for THAT long. lol

In any case Watchmen is an amazing book. I don't just use "graphic novel" or "comic book" to describe it...I literally mean "book" book. It is very engrossing.

Smooth Criminal

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Smooth, it's a comic book, regardless of how good it is.

By calling it a "book" as opposed to a comic book, you're insinuating that comic books and graphic novels are lesser forms of literature, which is absolutely untrue.

It's a **** good comic book. eat that, ****.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
As a general rule of thumb, you DO have decent taste in literature. Same with Jam and Aesir. Thumbs is my "go to" man when it comes to anime, though (except for the Darker Than Black recommendation; that goes to Aesir <3).

Yes, I've been stalking this thread for THAT long. lol

In any case Watchmen is an amazing book. I don't just use "graphic novel" or "comic book" to describe it...I literally mean "book" book. It is very engrossing.

Smooth Criminal
If I ever hosted a tournament it would be called "The Rule of Thumbs".

You're the man Smooth, glad to know someone takes my anime recommendations to heart despite me having seen so few <3

edit- I never got around to it Cog lol too many classics and great films to see. No one says, "Man you've seen so many awesome films!", they always get you with ONE film from like a list of a thousand with, "WHAT!??!?! You haven't seen_____!???! KILL YOURSELF"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

By calling it a "book" as opposed to a comic book, you're insinuating that comic books and graphic novels are lesser forms of literature, which is absolutely untrue.

I'd say there's a fair distinction between comic books and graphic novels.

wtf CT thread, those posts had more than 1 mintue between them, how is it a double post?

<-- beats up mcfox's browser and steals it's lunch money.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
WTF PoF why do you have Brawl mains back in your location?

wait
I should know better:ohwell:
Lol.

There needs to be significantly more crew animosity in Atlantic North.
>:O YEA!

**** the 4 swords, minibosses will **** YOUR ****!
=[ Meany.

Hey we are the MINIBOSSES. Not the Midbosses.
I lol'd.

Sorry. There was no disrespect meant by purposefully changing your crew's name, or by changing it to a pathetic character from Disagea.
xD!

You know what the sad thing is? Before the CT tourny I attended I had never been in a Melee crew battle before :(
=[

Omg, CT thread is moving at an amazing pace. I love this ****. Let's keep it going... until 3:30 where I have class.
>_> You suck. I had to read so much crap.

Okay, so I just got a call back from Mike for the round robin... however I didn't pick up the phone. I tried calling him back and he didn't pick up, him and I just cannot phone eachother lol.

So, to be clear possibilities of people are:
1 Chewman
2 Dorf
3 Aiser
4 DD
5 DD's bro
6 me
7 Jam
8 JV
9 Rich
10 Zoraida

Anyone else for possibly making it? Only the people going to the round robin aren't going to be the only ones for the Power Ranking, right? Because I think that's a bit insane to have a new Power Ranking every month.

This one I am sincerely sorry for making an additional post. It was an accident.
D: I don't see a problem. I wouldn't mind being Top 10 for a month LOL.

lol, it's gonna be a fun night of catchup for anyone who hasn't been camping boards all day.
>_> I hate you. D:

THIS **** IS TOO GOOT:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/672031640.html

So how is my smash family doing?
LOL Awesome.

-DD

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

TROOF

If I ever hosted a tournament it would be called "The Rule of Thumbs".

You're the man Smooth, glad to know someone takes my anime recommendations to heart despite me having seen so few <3

edit- I never got around to it Cog lol too many classics and great films to see. No one says, "Man you've seen so many awesome films!", they always get you with ONE film from like a list of a thousand with, "WHAT!??!?! You haven't seen_____!???! KILL YOURSELF"
LOL I know what you mean. *hasn't seen The Godfather Part II*

The line between comics and GN's has blurred so much these days with any 6 issue trade calling themselves a GN that the labels are kind of meaningless.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
TROOF

LOL I know what you mean. *hasn't seen The Godfather Part II*

The line between comics and GN's has blurred so much these days with any 6 issue trade calling themselves a GN that the labels are kind of meaningless.
a blurred line doesn't mean that there aren't clear cases, just that there are gray ones -_-.

that being said, after a short look on wikipedia, it's fair to say that Watchmen is probably either in that gray or a comic book.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
k then it's all gray; it's an argument about semantics, really, and Watchmen is considered "one of the greatest graphic novels of all time" (and a GN gold standard) when in fact it's a trade paperback collection of 12 issues. Oh well

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
k then it's all gray; it's an argument about semantics, really, and Watchmen is considered "one of the greatest graphic novels of all time" (and a GN gold standard) when in fact it's a trade paperback collection of 12 issues. Oh well
how so? there have been graphic novels that were never published in issues as comic books, I fail to see how they would be in the gray area. same with comics that don't have an overarching storyline. I mean, I'm not well versed on the genres or this debate, so I'm legitimately interested in why you think it's a completely pointless distinction.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
how so? there have been graphic novels that were never published in issues as comic books, I fail to see how they would be in the gray area. same with comics that don't have an overarching storyline. I mean, I'm not well versed on the genres or this debate, so I'm legitimately interested in why you think it's a completely pointless distinction.
When Will Eisner kind of invented the graphic novel as we know it today, it was a term that simply meant a one-off comic story told in long-form, bound like a book. Since self-contained long form stories didn't exist in monthly comics back then, "graphic novel" was coined. But with books like Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns in the 80s, you had long-form, self contained stories that work perfectly bound and sold together, yet were published monthly. The fact that these 2 stories sold oodles of their collected editions helped people to connect watchmen + graphic novel and sometimes even forget that there were individual issues, rather than just "chapters" in the whole book.
These days you have indie books published solely in graphic novel form and trade collections of monthly books that work best as long-form stories. So I think the distinction should be about content rather than form. IE - I don't care if it was originally a 12 issue mini series, as long as it's sold and read and works best collected, then it can be called a GN.

*shrug*

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
So I think the distinction should be about content rather than form. IE - I don't care if it was originally a 12 issue mini series, as long as it's sold and read and works best collected, then it can be called a GN.

*shrug*
I'd stand on this distinction.

I suppose my previous statement was very hung up on form defining the genre. Which as I think about it, is a pretty silly way of differentiating things.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
How many canadian players went?? I thought just one. As I was leaving like around 6-7 on day 1, I was saying bye to kids and I said bye to some Canadian and was like, bye even though I don't know you. And someone was like, that's because he's canadian. It was spawn or aesir or maybe even the kid himself said it. >_>

Desh

Smash Ace
LOL
i was the only canadian there 8D
i dont remember any one with long hair in a pee coat though D: ,...
hmmmm :S

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
You have curly hair? I don't remember clearly, that must've been you. I only saw you for two seconds before I left. LOL

How can you not remember.

Pound see you guys, pound pound. See you pound, I don't know who you are but bye pound. It's cause that kids from Canada. There were like 4 Asian guys there. I think you said you were desh too. >_>

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Owies. I bit my thumbnail down too low.

I hate it when that happens.

My browser > McFox's
-DD

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
WTF PoF why do you have Brawl mains back in your location?

wait
I should know better:ohwell:
Proving the point that I just use swordsman in Smash. I dropped Falco....picked up Sheik for like a day and then realized that none of the following characters....

Falcon
Falco
Fox
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Peach

Really suit my style or are anyone I want to use.

Lately, I've been under the impression that people are really curious as to why I've decided to pick up Roy and why I'm so interested in learning him.

First off, I find Roy to be EXTREMELY underrated in Melee.

Is he a good character? Not really. But He DOES have a lot of really good tricks to use against the likes of Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggs, Bowser, and Falcon. Roy is different from most characters in Melee because his combo ability is really weak and his offensive options are really bad as well ranging from about 1-3. I like Roy because I find his edge game to be still really good even though not as strong as Marths. L canceling is also much easier with him and leaves more room for error. At low %'s he can do a lot of things to spacies, and Roy teaches you to NOT MAKE MISTAKES and quickly, might I add. Anytime you **** up as Roy, you basically die. He also has a fair tech chase game and his grab is pretty good. I'm sick of always seeing the same six characters in this game (Sheik, Fox, Falco, Marth, Falcon, Jigs) with the occasional Peach, Luigi, and Doc. I also find that it is much more admirable to perform well with a low tier character as opposed to the usual six. Gimpyfish, DJ Nintendo, Neo, Ninjalink, Boss spring to mind. I think that picking up Roy will help to polish my game quicker and teach me what I am doing wrong faster because it will be easy to punish my mistakes and it will force me to learn. I also LOVE Roys falling speed, it makes up for his run speed. He also punishes spot dodges really well too.

Oh yeah, and not too many people main both Marth and Roy and go back and forth between them and perform well. I have learned to do so. Is my Roy good enough to bring to tournament? No. I'm working on it though.

In Brawl I find characters such as

Rob
Toon Link
GAW
Snake
Falco

To not suit my style either

in 64

I dont like being gay with

Pikachu or Kirby

so I use Link.

oh and the bus is first come first serve

my browser>mcfox

actually heres all the info for the bus, http://www.norcalsmash.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=53ff812ff29e604d1f755d903e2147c2
Bottom Line: I don't want to be around smelly people for a week. I'd rather fly there with some people that I enjoy hangin out with (who I know dont smell and annoy me) and split costs for a hotel between a good 7-10 people. I already have a good idea of who those people would be too. Getting involved with a bus of a good 40+ people is like going to the mall with 8 people. You all will want to do different things at different places, eat at different times, etc. Its much easier to travel with a smaller posse. Will it cost more? Yeah. Plan ahead. We all have plenty of time to do so.

I <3 you. Sick update! I LOLed really hard at everything.

Top Bottom