• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
why didn't you just twilight hack your wii and get tvc for free?
'-'

also, #1 is 오충훈
or "Oh Choong Hoon"
spelled out on an english keyboard. lolz.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
you completely overrun the protoss before they could get carriers or they should've won anyway way before then. carriers would **** them though.

have you seen how lame McFox's browser is?
lol dammit they're my fav unit and I only ever get the chance to use them in teams cause my friend stalls them while I mass on carriers lmao

Actually I have a question about the PvZ matchup. I began a regular PvZ matchup against one of my friends on the map Luna or w/e it's called and I found his base pretty earlier. I had another friend of mine sitting behind me coaching me (although he's the zerg main who beat you Mogwai :p and I later discovered his knowledge of the Protoss is somewhat flawed lol). He became frustrated with how poorly I was playing and grabbed hold of the mouse and keyboard and told me to watch him play. He two gated at the beginning and kept sending in Zealot after Zealot to the opponent's base. He started out doing great, he destroyed the Zerg's first expansion easily and killed many drones and zerglings. Yet Zealot after Zealot kept dying because they were usually in groups of two or three. He kept sending them down, he got a third Gateway, and rallied them to the Zerg's base. Somehow, the Zerg player held them all off quite easily after a while with sunkens and more Zerglings, and eventually snuck around behind my friend with a ton of Mutas and ***** the living hell out of him.

What I want to know is why the Zealot rush didn't work, and what in the world is a Protoss player supposed to do after the beginning of the rush works very well. Am I supposed to back off at some point and then tech to Dragoons then mass an army and all out attack or something? Really, it seems like this would be easy, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work on a good Zerg player :(

pockyD

Smash Legend
maybe he just sucks at micro

what you're supposed to do is expand, maintain map control, and mass up, as equal base count = zerg loses

ZoSo

Smash Champion
You should do that in every matchup, but yes.

If Chinese people are chinks, are Korean people kinks?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
why didn't you just twilight hack your wii and get tvc for free?
'-'

also, #1 is 오충훈
or "Oh Choong Hoon"
spelled out on an english keyboard. lolz.
o_o You can Twilight hack TvC for free? Since when can we load backups?!

I love Brawl. I'll only play it on Wifi. I learned my lesson about paying to play that game.
-DD

SleepyK

koreans are like
gooks

we've been able to load backups for quite some time now.
I've modded most of GA's fighting game community's wiis and burned them TVC...
<_<

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Actually, he has great micro. I just think my other friend has better micro lol. So I should contain the Zerg and not let them get more expansions than me?
or you can learn Bisu Build, lol.

2 gate is kinda cheezy and you'll get ***** if you can't stop expansions from coming up. Once the Zerg learns to stop a 2 gate zealot rush, the fast expand build generally becomes the better option.

Also, if you or your friends want to play me again, just IM me.

SleepyK

mogwai, can you throw down some of the basic sc strats and names for me? I'd like to understand what commentators (kr/eng) are talking about when they mention things like "9 hatch"

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
koreans are like
gooks

we've been able to load backups for quite some time now.
I've modded most of GA's fighting game community's wiis and burned them TVC...
<_<
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-
****, I wish I could find my SD card.
-DD

pockyD

Smash Legend
usually, #_building = your supply count when you make that building (i.e. 9 hatch would be get 9 drones, then make a hatchery)

other times, #_building means that number of buildings (i.e. 2-gate like said above), but it's generally pretty obvious which one they mean

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I'm korean. get at me.
Doesn't mean you're entitled to putting my race down. At least be entertaining like KevinM and ZoSo when they apologize for not having rice in their homes for me to eat. (This happens too often)

SleepyK

right, so 9 hatch would be to get a pool out faster, and 12 hatch would be to... build a better economy before unit production?

my bad, variola. I live in the south, so i'm used to racist terms like "chink" being applied to any type of asian as opposed to specialized racism.
So in that sense, I was also insulting my entire race, despite my use of a specialized racial term.
asians 4 lyf and alla dat.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
my bad, variola. I live in the south, so i'm used to racist terms like "chink" being applied to any type of asian as opposed to specialized racism.
So in that sense, I was also insulting my entire race, despite my use of a specialized racial term.
asians 4 lyf and alla dat.
It's all good. I didn't know people used "chink" for other asian nationalities.

KevinM and ZoSo also give me **** about not knowing how to play StarCraft, even though China's not that known for StarCraft. :urg:

I need better friends. HEY MAINE GOT ANY ROOM UP THERE?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It's all good. I didn't know people used "chink" for other asian nationalities.

KevinM and ZoSo also give me **** about not knowing how to play StarCraft, even though China's not that known for StarCraft. :urg:

I need better friends. HEY MAINE GOT ANY ROOM UP THERE?
You'd never survive in such a cold climate. Rice won't grow up there.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
mogwai, can you throw down some of the basic sc strats and names for me? I'd like to understand what commentators (kr/eng) are talking about when they mention things like "9 hatch"
the #s are the supply count when you place the building for the purposes of describing a build order, so for instance:

9 OL
12 Hatch
11 Pool
13 Hatch
12 Extractor

Describes a typical 3 hatch opening with Zerg where you build an overlord after your 9th drone, then build your second hatch when you have 12 drones, spawning pool at 11 drones, etc etc etc.

As to like, basic strats, uh... I guess I'll just describe the ones off the top of my head for each raceHere's a bunch of stuff about Zerg + Bisu Build, I'm tired of writing this and not working, you can ask specific things if you'd like to know them about other races.:

Zerg
OPENINGS
5 Pool: Retardedly cheezy strat where your goal is to get a spawning pool ASAP and then get 8 lings into your opponent's base before they can do anything about it. It's only effective usage these days is vs. Toss fast expand strategies that time their first 2 cannons to finish warping in as your first lings get there, and even then it's mad cheesy.

9 Pool: The most aggressive legitimate Zerg opening. There are a lot of variations on 9 pooling, as to whether you start your 2nd OL before or after the pool (before is known as overpooling), but it's characterized by the pool on 9 with an extractor right afterwards to get your first 100 gas quickly to research ling speed to run past cannons or gain a significant advantage vs. another zerg's lings typically. You also usually expand or double expand after the initial ling harassment to make up for your lost economy vs. Toss. This is used about 50% of the time vs. Toss and certain times vs. Zerg.

12 Pool: Pretty much an exclusively ZvZ build, this one is like defensive 9 pooling where you get your lings in time to block your ramp before a 9 pooler could get there which allows you to push your economy and tech to quick mutalisks. I see this a lot in ZvZ, but it can be bad vs. a Zerg that 12 hatches against you since they get their 2nd base online if you don't read it and crank a **** ton of lings to break their natural. In ZvZ it's like, 9 Pool >>> 12 Hatch > 12 Pool > 9 Pool.

12 hatch: The safer standard opening where you take your natural expansion after you start hatching 3 drones after the first overlord. This is the most standard opening vs. Terran and is used ~ 50% of the time vs. Toss.

MIDGAME STUFF
Double Tech: Refers to when the Zerg player gets both a hydralisk den for lurkers and a spire for mutalisks vs. terran and then tries to react to how the terran starts to respond. Usually you try to see if they're building a bunch of turrets and if they are, you go lurkers + lings, otherwise you muta harass and then tech your lurkers as follow up.

3 Hatch Muta: The slower, but more standard harassment strategy, you do that 3 hatch opening I put up there and then tech to lair, get a spire and then hatch 9 mutas imediately as the spire finishes and stack them and harass the **** out of your opponent

2 Hatch Muta: You do a 12 hatch and then instead of getting another hatch, get a quick extractor to speed your laid tech up a bunch. It leads to a quicker 6 Muta harass, but frequently leaves your economy much much weaker. The timing can work out nicely sometimes though for killing scvs that are trying to build turrets, rather than trying to weave around turrets.

5 Hatch Hydras: A big midgame push strategy used against toss where you do a 3 hatch opening, crank a **** ton of drones and then get a 2nd expansion, hydra den, evo chamber and quickly get + 1 range attack, hydra speed, and hydra range to push the front of a toss player's base before his army gets out of hand.

Protoss
Bisu Build: This is what n00bs call the fast expand strat vs. Zerg. You put your first pylon out in front of your natural at like 8 I think and the send that probe to scout the zerg. you time another probe to go towards your pylon to get there when it finishes and build a forge as soon as you can. Then based on your scout, you either get 2 cannons first if they are 9 pooling or you get your nexus at the natural first if they are 12 hatching, either way you end up getting a nexus + 2 cannons first. Then you lay a gate, lay a cybernetics core and get some gas to get an early stargate + corsair to scout. Gameplay goes from here. It's pretty much the definitive strategy vs. Zerg at this point.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You should do that in every matchup, but yes.

If Chinese people are chinks, are Korean people kinks?
^yep^

if you 2 gate vs. zerg, your goal should be to take out one of their bases and then contain + expand with a standard tech pattern to like, corsair + reaver, corsair + dt, or just a massive ground army of zealots, goons, and HTs with storm.
or you can learn Bisu Build, lol.

2 gate is kinda cheezy and you'll get ***** if you can't stop expansions from coming up. Once the Zerg learns to stop a 2 gate zealot rush, the fast expand build generally becomes the better option.

Also, if you or your friends want to play me again, just IM me.
Thanks guys. Yeah man, I'll def let you know whenever we have a smashcraft fest going down and one of us wants to play you again. Also, didn't Bisu Zealot rush Jaedong when he knocked him out on gomtv? I watched that match over and over and still don't understand how that worked.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Thanks guys. Yeah man, I'll def let you know whenever we have a smashcraft fest going down and one of us wants to play you again. Also, didn't Bisu Zealot rush Jaedong when he knocked him out on gomtv? I watched that match over and over and still don't understand how that worked.
lol, Tempest took out Jaedong.

He did a 4 Gate +1 Legs timing push. Which is, after Fast Expanding, getting + 1 ground weapons at your forge, tech to citadel research legs, get templar archives, all the while crank zealots, once you get templar archives, get 4 High Templars, make them into 2 archons, 1 more round of zealots, then smash the front of the zerg's base. It's mad annoying and I'm still terrible against this strategy.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lol, Tempest took out Jaedong.

He did a 4 Gate +1 Legs timing push. Which is, after Fast Expanding, getting + 1 ground weapons at your forge, tech to citadel research legs, get templar archives, all the while crank zealots, once you get templar archives, get 4 High Templars, make them into 2 archons, 1 more round of zealots, then smash the front of the zerg's base. It's mad annoying and I'm still terrible against this strategy.
Thanks, now I know what to do against you next time :p I'll practice this to death on my friend that mains Zerg. Should be fun. And yes, now I know what Bisu Build is lol I'm gonna work on these two strats the most.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the bisu build is using a lot of corsairs for map control, most often combined with DTs, but sometimes with reavers

the protoss fast expand is pretty much standard and a must-do vs. zerg on most maps nowadays

Top Bottom