• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Twewy ftw, DD, find me a gamebridge too. Does that only hook up to gamecube or does it hook up to wiis too? Live streaming is teh amazingz.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
rofl, you guys started talking about TWEWY right when I changed my avatar to something TWEWY-related <_<

Psychic posting ftCRAZY

Chum

Smash Apprentice
:O Yea.

I told them to **** themselves and went to New Egg, got a 340GB for $75, and grabbed 4GB of RAM for my birthday present to myself.

Moral of the story:
**** dell.
-DD
The way it should be. Just make sure its good ram for your computer cuz if your not running a 64bit system you might have some problems. When I bought my ram I bought ddr3 and its high speed too but its a little fast for my computer so sometimes it gives the bsd or applications crash

We decided it last time with a giant round robin in Wallingford if I remember correctly. Would anyone want to do that? I'd prefer for it to be in Vernon since I know Mike and I don't know the dude in Wallingford.
If this is done soon can one be done like in the summer... I won't be back in ct till like early may =(

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Is it sad that the best part of my weekend was playing kickball and having drinks with a bunch of jacked Rugby girls? It was a pretty amazing time. We kicked ***.... and balls.

I am bored at work and the CT thread is like the my anti-boredom.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
CT better step it up (minus cort) :p i heard vanz and jfox talking garbage at no johns biweekly about CT. where was this tournament btw?
play me so that I can step my game the **** up. Also, so that I don't have to drive to New Haven or take a train into NYC to play this game.

also, rankfest is a bad idea. basing rankings off of a single day of playing is stupid and there's a lot more that goes into them that just objective evidence. I mean, I'm itching to play smash in general so I might go anyway, but I'm very much against the idea of using a single smashfest to rank players (also at this point in my smash career I couldn't really care less about rankings). Oh, also if this fest gets in the way of getting sensei mad drunk in nyc, there is no way I'll be there.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I want to be ranked in CT. Can I go to the fest??? :-)

Also, PC, you have been going to No Johns Biweeklies. Go to Sensei's thing this weekend. I am sure we can find you a ride...*coughMogwaicough

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm actually going to get back into Brawl. I need to borrow a copy from a friend or something.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lolololol...

Lolololol...

:D Me too. Except for the borrowing part. I still have mine. I'm good with DK all of a sudden LOL.
-DD
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fight the urge! I do and I live in MD for Christ's sake. I can't turn around without seeing someone playing Brawl.

i has not. probably should, I enjoyed champloo.
You will definitely love Bebop.

Mogwai, just take how good Champloo was, and multiply that by OVER 9000!!!

That's Bebop.

I'm sorry, bad joke. I'm high.
ha ha ha ho he ha ho ho he ho he ho

And I thought my jokes were bad.

o.o The vid was too long IMO. A lot of the combos were the same ones basically, so yea, underwhelming is a good word for it.

Also, I need to watch the rest of Bebop.
Also, EVERYONE HERE NEEDS TO WATCH AFRO SAMURAI.
Also, Hamtaro is the ****.
-DD
I heard Afro Samurai was pretty bad.

okay my mom called and explained it alot better. he didnt have stoke but apparently hes at a high risk right now and he has high blood pressure behind his eye or something like that which is why he couldnt see. they dont want him to come home because if something did happen and he wasnt at the hospital something could happen to him during the time an ambulance could get him there

my browser>mcfoxs
I hope he's ok.

LMAO

Cowboy Bebop is the only anime where I prefer the dub to the sub. I never watched Champloo subbed
Same, although I saw FLCL in English and it was actually a very good dub. Some 95% of dubs are atrocious.

I might not go to Otakon anymore because I'm poor as ****. But it's still far away so I might still be able to decide except hotels will be booked and ****. **** it. School starts tomorrow and I'll forget and it'll be too late. I'm going to bed now. Goodnight CT.
:(

:O Yea.
I spent an hour on the phone with Dell, who after they charged me $50 to tell me to run a diagnostic test that told me nothing was wrong, realized I wasn't under warranty anymore, and told me if I was under warranty they could replace my hard drive.

I asked how much it would cost to renew it, it would be about $120. So I asked if after I renewed it they would send me the replacement HardDrive, they said they would not, because the problem is reported now, without the warranty, and would cost me another $100 to get an 80GB hard drive.

I told them to **** themselves and went to New Egg, got a 340GB for $75, and grabbed 4GB of RAM for my birthday present to myself.

Moral of the story:
**** dell.
-DD
ROFL I've hated Dell forever.

Nus, I'm probably going to MM, but not Otakon since I'm really poor right now also.
:(

everyone should have more confidence
I've been called confidencewayup before, no joke.

I am bored at work and the CT thread is like the my anti-boredom.
Welcome brother, we've been expecting you.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
then either a) don't do PRs or b) do the really informal and kind of innacurate rankfest.
I don't see another choice.

Thumbs with the crazy post but he forgot my beard vid. :(
Youtube doesn't work here! :( Notice I didn't quote any of the other youtube links lol

Repost the link and I'll watch it when I get home :)

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Same, although I saw FLCL in English and it was actually a very good dub. Some 95% of dubs are atrocious.
top 5 dubs of all time without a doubt. thats what happens when the directors and **** go and pick out english voice actors(listen to directors commentary). FLCL is probly one of the best released DVD packages as well. theres a reason why they were/are expensive. high high quality dubs, director commentary, subtitles translated pretty well, art gallery etc. its worth it srsly

I heard Afro Samurai was pretty bad.
afro samurai got alot more marketing exposure than like any other anime to get licensed recently. its not amazing at all. its just mediocre. its a run of mill linear fight fest.(streets of rage meets kill bill) the animation is beautiful and it's fights are choreographed amazingly. there is little plot and a decent attempt at char development. I dun even think sam jack is a good fit in all honesty. I mean I dun think Don Chido would've done it(because he gets paid too much to do teh animes) but I would've like to see him voice afro.

theres an anime every 2 months in japan that does the whole......great animation short lived series with good action scene thing. its average at best.

How about a big franchise like spike pick something decent to blow alot of marketing on. maybe GitS? or Fist of the north star.....there are plently of mature awesome anime of higher quality.

EDIT:@ cogsmooch ur location is awesome.
@ DarkDragoon hell yeah **** dell, but i thank them, they helped me decide to learn how to build computers, and I wouldn't have this copmuter im on now thats CUSTOM MADE BY THE JUGGANAUT *****

ZoSo

Smash Champion
A rankfest would be a fun way to give everybody a chance to play each other in a somewhat serious competitive environment. What's wrong with that?

Sometimes I think I want to just dedicate my life to Starcraft. Anybody else ever get that?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
A rankfest would be a fun way to give everybody a chance to play each other in a somewhat serious competitive environment. What's wrong with that?
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a bad way to do rankings. Doing state rankings based on a semi-competitive round robin tournament doesn't really reflect who's consistently playing well. My fundamental gripes with this form of a rankings are:

1) Doesn't reflect any sort of consistency, people could be ranked disproportionally high or low based on a single good or bad day of play.

2) Requires that EVERYONE worth consideration for the rankings gets together at a given time and place, which is a scheduling nightmare and leaves the question of what to do with people who didn't go.

3) Doesn't actually put pressure on anyone who doesn't really care about rankings. The fact that one doesn't care about the rankings should not result in them being placed incorrectly (otherwise Cactuar would've been dropped off the PA Rankings ages ago). Tournament matches and MMs are the only objective pieces of evidence that should be considered when discussing rankings.

Those are pretty much it. I'm not saying that statewide smashfests are a bad thing, I'm saying that they're a bad basis for rankings.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
My suggestion would be to make a draft list before some kind of fest. Figure out which placings are close and use the fest to get data for those specific placements. It still has the problem of consistency but not to as great of an extent.

Or just have a smashfest. There doesn't need to be a reason for it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
4) Doesn't take into consideration each player's performance against OOS players.
What makes you think I won't be there :p

EDIT - ^ That too ^

Every single night except the ones when I want to just dedicate my life to Melee.

EDIT - start playing again, smashcrafters are too grood
I've always wanted to dedicate my life to Melee, but it's hard with everyone converting to Brawl over here :( I think I'll get back into Brawl to show certain people they aren't as good as they think. Maybe they'll stop playing when someone who hasn't played in a month beats them lol

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
There really is no better way to do a CT PR than a RR. Just cuz it's a single day, doesn't mean it won't be fairly accurate. If you don't go, you won't be on it, and you're prolly an inactive player anyway, or if you complain then you shouldn't care if you're on it or not. It's a good way to give people who want to be active in our community a chance to prove themselves. Sure, if you lose to someone that you beat most of the time, it doesn't mean they are better than you overall, that's why it's a RR, you're gonna play a ton of people before it's over. People you normally don't even get a chance to play that are in your own state.

If anything, this is more accurate than big tourney results. If someone like Mogwai, who is better than me overall, get's a hard Pool and loses to everyone, and I beat 2 people in an easier Pool, that doesn't prove anything. How many players from CT have any of you had to play IN TOURNEY. This is a chance for all of us to play...well...all of us.

Man up, seriously. No johns.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
The ranking fest does not need to be

A-All in one day

B-and it does need to have everyone each day.

In retrospect we could just lay February down and in that month we all need to get together with one another and play a best of three or five set with each person. 1-2 people would be in charge of compiling results and making an accurate list of CT's top ten.

Players that I think need to be involved

Trademark
Mike $
POF
Noodles
Aesir
Mogwai
Silas
ZK
Brookman
Dark Dragoon
Khaly
Axelslam
Silas
JV
Jam Stunna
Baka

Like I said, we just get together with all these people within a month and play them in a set or best of three sets or whatever they agree on and with this we also get to see how well we perform over time. Any other ideas? I'm up for them.

Man up, seriously. No johns.

This.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
It's this simple.

It does have to be in one day, because we have freaking lives outside of smash.

We do a RR. We post the results in this thread.

If you don't like your placing, or if you regret not going to it at all, then that is going to make you want to do better next time/go to it. This is how you increase friendly competition within our community. The results will change every month, so nothing is set in stone.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
It's this simple.

It does have to be in one day, because we have freaking lives outside of smash.

We do a RR. We post the results in this thread.

If you don't like your placing, or if you regret not going to it at all, then that is going to make you want to do better next time/go to it. This is how you increase friendly competition within our community. The results will change every month, so nothing is set in stone.

Fair Enough.

pockyD

Smash Legend
there's nothing wrong with having an RR and treating everything in it as "tournament matches" when deciding on your power rankings... but to have it be the sole source of truth is a pretty bad idea

edit: and don't assume nearby OOS won't go if it's not too far; those things can be pretty fun :)

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
there's nothing wrong with having an RR and treating everything in it as "tournament matches" when deciding on your power rankings... but to have it be the sole source of truth is a pretty bad idea
edit: and don't assume nearby OOS won't go if it's not too far; those things can be pretty fun :)
That's why i said, nothing is set in stone. All of us will know it's just the results from the RR. It's not like one of our players is gonna wake up one day and log on to smashboards.com and look in the CT thread and have a heart attack cuz Aiser is ranked #1.

<3 Aiser

And yes, Pocky you guys are more than welcome to come :)

Top Bottom