• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Ok, so the CT thread is dead.

Anyway, I was thinking. I know we've discussed this about a billion times but I'm pretty sure it is time to update the Melee power rankings. yes yes yes some of us dont care whos the best etc etc etc but there are those of us who appreciate the competition. (trade, zk, mike $, myself, awsmsean, noodles, icylight, SPAWN, Aesir, to name a few) and I think that due to the fact that Melee is more dominant over Brawl in CT it makes sense to update those power rankings.

Its not a big deal to do so. We have had plenty of tournaments in the past few months to determine where people stand and I think that everyone has an idea of how good people were, are, and how much everyone has improved and all that jazz. We already know Cort is numero uno and Brookman is still #2. I would definitely say SPAWN is three followed by Mike $ at 4th and from there...i dont know.

Can we get some good Melee discussion in here? Somehow?

-POF

Also trade, aesir, spawn and mike $-Who stayed over last night? When I woke up you were all gone....

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The problem as I see it is that CT smash is too inconsistent at this point. I don't think I've even seen half of the people you just mentioned in one place in like over a year.

ZK and Mike $ are really, really good, but I haven't seen either one of them in almost two years I think. I'm not saying that as a reason to keep them off the PRs, they're definitely two of the best in the state. They're cool guys and it just sucks that I haven't played with either one of them in so long.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Cort
small pool of large fishies
(wes, trade, mike$, spawn, brookman)
large pool of small fishies
(everyone else)

honorary temporary 2#
urs truly
-_-

i like turtles

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Top 5
Cort
Brookman
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

EDIT- Are any of you guys English majors? If so, how do you deal with the constant BS of literature classes?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
top 5 id say is
cort
brookman
mogwai
trade/spawn/mike$

spawn might be 4th
I haven't seen them play but I'm pretty sure SPAWN is better than Mogwai at this point.

Evidence-SPAWN knows how to be really really really really gay. :)

Break down-

Cort-You don't need to give evidence as to why hes #1.

Brookman-Mike is also amazing (like Cort) with every single character in the game and has an amazing amount of knowledge about the game. He knows match ups, he knows best levels, he knows how to punish your mistakes, and hes always placed very consistently well. For someone who does not play as often anymore, hes still incredible.

SPAWN-Marc knows how to be gay and piss you off. Definitely the best Sheik I've ever played in Ct. He also learns characters extremely fast and is very technical.

Mike $-Mike is CT's most technical player in my opinion. His Fox is very technical and hes an extremely smart player.

Trade, Awsmsean, and Mogwai-It's a toss up between these three in my opinion. They are pretty back and fourth.

ZK????-I havent played him in a while but he has the prettiest and flashiest Captain Falcon in CT. No doubt.

Noodles, myself, Silas Aesir-All three of us are pretty much a toss up as well. Aesir beat me in a best of five set last night (probably the most intense set EVER and the BEST I've EVER seen Aesir play....ever.) and noodles and I are always back and forth. Silas used to **** me all the time but him and I are pretty even now.

jinoichi

Smash Rookie
brookman shouldnt even be ranked. when was the last time he entered a tournament?

mybrowser>mcfoxs

trademark0013

Smash Champion
glad to hear ur brothers ok noodles

ppl need to def rethink their logic in PRs. i'm seeing scrub logic left and right. also sorry to say but a good idea of you guys really have no idea who good or bad anyone is. lets have an accurate discussion plz:

cort, sure, ppl kno

brookman, yea hes good although its hard to say exactly how good because he hasnt played tourney or a match that counted in a while

zk, hasnt played anyone in forever except mike i believe

mike$/me, go OOS on a regular basis and place decently in tourney and have a few big name wins under our belts

awsmsean/spawn, same as me and mike but live mad far from anything. but when they go they do decent

mogwai, has mad PA training and does alright in tourney

budai, only other person in this state who does things and isnt bad

after this is a list of ppl who play but havent done anything in tourney

noodles, gets better at an alarming rate and has a deeper grasp of the game than most ppl. needs to play in tourney more

aesir, v, jv, jam: mad exp but nothin to show for it :(

nus, did alright at that one tourney where he won but hasnt done anything at a major tourney in forever

pof, gettin better but still have things to work on

silas, axel, khaly: no idea, dont do anything local or OOS

papito, gets better from the few times i play him and could be a contender if ppl were willin to play him more. he seems to want to play a lot but gets no love from anyone

Aesir

Smash Master
aesir, v, jv, jam
V, JV, and Jam hardly take this game seriously anymore and haven't really traveled that much anyway at least recently that is. So that might be why they have nothing to show for it.

As for myself? I'vebeen playing for 3 years rather dedicated however I haven't been able to get past this wall I'm stuck at. Which leads me to believe that not everyone can be decent/good at smash lol.

Aesir

Smash Master
you heard it here first guys.

shminkledorf (4:10:39 PM): once I start driving
Fallenpiratevyse (4:10:40 PM): lol
shminkledorf (4:10:43 PM): I am playing this game again

he's coming back lol.

Khaly

Smash Cadet
this is CT's power rankings.

Cort 3,692
Khaly 2,363
trademark0013 2,039
DarkDragoon 2,038
Aesir 2,023
_V_ 1,999
Jam Stunna 1,934
SPAWN 1,820
NusCirtap 1,793
Brookman 1,693

browser > mcfox's

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
okay my mom called and explained it alot better. he didnt have stoke but apparently hes at a high risk right now and he has high blood pressure behind his eye or something like that which is why he couldnt see. they dont want him to come home because if something did happen and he wasnt at the hospital something could happen to him during the time an ambulance could get him there

my browser>mcfoxs
Sucks. How old is he?

this is CT's power rankings.

Cort 3,692
Khaly 2,363
trademark0013 2,039
DarkDragoon 2,038
Aesir 2,023
_V_ 1,999
Jam Stunna 1,934
SPAWN 1,820
NusCirtap 1,793
Brookman 1,693

browser > mcfox's
****. I'm losing by one?
-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> GOD **** IT!

I just wiped my computer, so I lost my photoshop for the next few hours as I reacquire it, otherwise I'd be all over this picture.

<_< Also, even though I already shoved up $50 so I can sit on hold waiting for Tech Support, anyone know why my computer takes 30 minutes to boot up? I reinstalled Vista and wiped everything, so I know it isn't a virus.

o.o It just like, boots up and goes to a black screen for 30 minutes, then the little vista orb appears all happy and shiny like nothing was wrong.

Its a *****.
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The question of new CT Power Rankings comes up every few weeks or so, and usually we get nowhere. So, since I was exceptionally bored today, I decided to compile tournament results.

I took Dark Dragoon's suggestion and assigned a point value to each placing, similar to how Ankoku does for the Brawl Character Rankings list. As such, this list is based PURELY ON TOURNAMENT RESULTS. These are facts, and cannot be disputed. The points were assigned in the following fashion:

0 points- 25th or below
1 point- 17th
2 points- 13th
3 points- 9th
4 points- 7th
5 points- 5th
6 points- 4th
7 points- 3rd
8 points- 2nd
9 points- 1st

These scores are completely unweighted. That is, if a person came in 17th at a tournament where the lowest placing was 17th, they still received one point. Players were awarded 0 points, to show that they did indeed attend the tournament. This was necessary to tally the total number of tournaments that each player has attended, as that information may also be relevant to PR discussions.

Choosing which tournaments to compile was a little trickier. Since this is CT's Power Rankings, I wanted to only include tournaments played within the state since (and including) VLS. However, I knew that there hadn't been enough tournaments to yield sufficient data, so I widened the criteria to include OoS tournaments which were attended by at least five CTers. When that didn't work, I widened the criteria to include OoS tournaments which were attended by at least three CTers. When THAT didn't work either, I just took any tournament since VLS that had at least 1 CTer or person with strong CT ties in attendance (which is why tournaments like SCC and FAST made the list).

I tried to be as thorough as possible, but I'm sure I missed a few. Keep in mind that I was also searching in chronological order of the last post in each thread. I looked through 15 pages of results, and things started to blur together. If I missed something, let me know and I'll update.

Here's the list of tournaments. There were 24 in total that I used*:

Bullheaded Onychomysms
Smashpocalypse VI
No Johns 12/27
No Johns 11/02
XIIESTICLE
Mass Madness 12
Long Live Hit Stun 2
Super Champ Combo
FAST
Smashtality IV
Mass Madness 11
The Four Swords are Bringing Sexy Back!
Mass Madness 10
Smashtastrophe 2
Mass Madness 9
The Tunes Presents: LAZERS!
Viva La Smashtaclysm
Mass Madness 8
Smashpocalypse
SMASHTOSTROPHE
LOBSTER 2
Mass Madness 7
Mr. Dikkt
IXESTICLE
*Note- Mass Madness 13 and IXESTICLE did not have full results posted, so they were not included in my calculations.

So, without further ado, here are the point totals. The points are listed to the left, and the number of tournaments each player has attended since and including VLS is in parenthesis. This is NOT a power ranking per se, as the real PR list will understandably take into account several other factors when determining the final placings of individuals. I just want to give the discussion a foundation in empirical fact before it moves forward (or stalls again, as the case may be).

POINT TOTALS

1. Cort- 66 points (9 tournaments)
2. Swiftbass- 21 points (4 tournaments)
3. SPAWN- 16 points (6 tournaments)
4. Aesir- 11 points (8 tournaments)
5. Mogwai- 10 points (6 tournaments)
6. Awsmsean -9 points (7 tournaments)
6. Budai- 9 points (3 tournaments)
6. Icylight- 9 points (4 tournaments)
6. Milktea- 9 points ( 4 tournaments)
6. Nus- 9 points (1 tournament)
11. Pipe- 7 points (1 tournament)
11. Trademark- 7 points (6 tournaments)
13. Jam Stunna- 6 points (3 tournaments)
14. JV Smooth- 5 points (3 tournaments)
15. Baka- 3 points (2 tournaments)
15. MikeMoney- 3 points (4 tournaments)
15. Prince of Fire- 3 Points (3 tournaments)
18. <3- 2 points (1 tournament)
18. Ocean- 2 points (1 tournament)
20. Noodles- 1 point (1 tournament)
20. Samikay- 1 point (1 tournament)
22. Dark Dragoon- 0 points (1 tournament)
I have a text file in which I have the tournament results that I consulted listed, as well as the addition I used to come to these totals. If anyone is interested, PM or IM me and I'll send it to you.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lol, yea, smashtastrophe series ftw, Mogwai for ALMOST-as-good-as-Aesirth place on the rankings!

Seriously, Swift's assessment of rankings is correct.

EDIT: Also, a much much much larger problem than the time one that Trade brought up is that there is literally no consideration for size of tournaments or general quality of players playing in said tournaments. in all honestly 4th at an NYC tourney should be worth roughly 50 times as much as 2nd at any CT tourney.[/hyperbole]

Top Bottom