• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Jam, did you IM me last night? I think I remember seeing it, but my computer restarted, so yeah!
Yeah. IM me if you can, I want to talk to you about something.

I agree entirely on this minus the Doc part, because I don't think Zoso actually meant what he said. He meant to say Doc sucks balls too. He didn't even want to mention him but did accidentally cause his brain farted a lot.

Falco's the best character on the stage if played near the human limit of perfection.
That's why I put Falco lower, his necessary level of tech skill is so much higher than the other high tiers.

PS - WHO WANTS TO WIFI? I called out sick today to finish my editing reel and now I'm waiting for it to upload... and bored!
If you're on around 1:00. I'll start a room.

Me and Brookman were joking about showing up to an Esticle just to play Marvel with JV the whole time.
I'd definitely be there for that, even though I've never played Marvel ever. 2-D fighter day!

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I know that Falco and Fox are the two most technical characters in the game (Falco more so), but I'm unsure of the rest of the cast. Does C Falcon count as being a technical character since he requires insane speed for his amazing combo potential? Are ICs very technical? I figure Marth and Sheik aren't very technical at all because they are pretty straightforward. What about Mario, Doc, Peach, Jiggs?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
defining how "technical" a character is pretty vague. Basically, different characters require different skill sets to exploit their true potential. If you're just talking about strict finger speed to do all of their most advanced maneuvers, Fox and Falco are the most technical, but it's Fox that has the edge there (mostly due to having a 4 frame startup on his jump animation, opposed to Falco's 6). I don't really agree with using a metric like this for measuring technicality though, because a lot of the most impressive "technical" things I've seen have less to do with finger speed and more to do with spacing and knowing everything about hitboxes and whatnot (ex. M2K consistently grabbing Cactuar's nair approaches out of his shield).

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
One of the reasons I feel that way about Falco is because he gets punished so hard for messing up even once. Marth, Sheik and even Fox have a little room for error, but Falco has none (and to a lesser extent, neither does Falcon).

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Care to explain?
Pills deal more damage, generate more hit stun and have generally a more useful angle, especially on the bounce. Full hop Pill to waveland is a reasonable approach, standing pills positioned to bounce right at the edge of the stage are very useful for edge guarding, and it's easier to time and position your pills to cover multiple options. The higher bounce allows you to sneak pills up onto platforms, while fireballs will always fall short of the platform, unless it's like, a low FoD platform.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Noodles is determined to beat you Wes because he wants to "prove to CT" that hes number 2 in the state. I'm sorry Noodles, but you're not beating Wes.
You do not think that you can ever contend with any of the really good players. You need to seriously believe in yourself. I know that sounds corny...but its true.
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF NOODLES!
caps
GO FOR THE GOLD IN THE BEIJING OLYMPICS

edit: nintendo's e3 suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

there were so many rumors going around of a new zelda, new mario, ****, even a new kid icarus

instead we get some ***** yelling about her dog AND THE REGGINATOR

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Pills deal more damage, generate more hit stun and have generally a more useful angle, especially on the bounce. Full hop Pill to waveland is a reasonable approach, standing pills positioned to bounce right at the edge of the stage are very useful for edge guarding, and it's easier to time and position your pills to cover multiple options. The higher bounce allows you to sneak pills up onto platforms, while fireballs will always fall short of the platform, unless it's like, a low FoD platform.
My view of it has always been that pills are better suited to a more defensive style while fireballs are better for rushdowns and such, hence why I think it's a matter of preference even though pills are better on paper. Fireballs ARE better for aiding recovery, though. No way around that. Doc > Mario either way.

Sheik IS The best character

almost 2 weeks ago at chus biweekly, I lost to some random mario with marth, then the next match I 4 stocked him with sheik.

my fox lost to topes sheik, but i 3 stocked him in sheik ditto, non CG

so don't even give me that, "then why don't you use her" line, I use her a ton. If anyone thinks otherwise they are a youtube SCRUB who's opinion is invalid. In fact, any argument similar to anything about me using Sheik is invalid because you have no idea what you would be talking about.

edit - i was playing really sub-par at pound3, don't use that in any arguments, just listen to me, because I know the game far better than any of you ever will.

Sheik
Fox
Marth
Falco (btw, Neo and Cactuar both agree with this top 4, not only myself, and Ken says Sheik's better than Marth too)
Falcon/Peach/Jiggs/ICs
Doc
DK

that is my opinion of the top 10

oh yes and DK counts Fox badly on FD, and Poke. A week after Bum almost beat me, me and chillin were having an argument, and we had a DK vs Fox MM as the solution to the argument that DK counters fox, and on FD all i did was CG him and I 3 stocked him at low % because of the broken CG that DK has on Fox on that stage. I also think DK has more tourney potential than Ganon, and possibly Luigi and Pikachu as well, although it's very close. I think Samus sucks at high level, just horribly. I think Kirby and Ness are worse than Pichu Mewtwo Bowser, and Bowser isn't that bad at all just so you all know.

edit 2 - being an arrogant douchebag is fun
Discuss.

Who's gonna be playing today and when? I hunger for Smash.

Also, Metroid Prime 3 was a **** good game, and I didn't even like the Prime series. My main complaint with Nintendo right now is that they're basically releasing the same handful of games over and over.

noodles

Smash Champion
i mustve missed that post. and actually that in a way used to be true. i didnt enter one tourny, nfb1 because there wasnt really a chance of me placing atleast 3rd (with cort pc obm there). i mean i dont really like spending money. i got alot better and think i can beat most people in ct.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
the Scary Thing About This Is That Zm Beat M2k's Marth With Mario A Few Months Ago. Then M2k Went Sheik And Four Stocked Him. It Was Terrifying. His Sheik Is The Gayest Thing I've Ever Seen, But I Still Think Marth Is The Best. But Good God Dude, You Have To Play His Sheik At Least Once In Your Life To Understand The True Homosexuality In This Game.
originally Posted By Mew2king
Sheik Is The Best Character

Almost 2 Weeks Ago At Chus Biweekly, I Lost To Some Random Mario With Marth, Then The Next Match I 4 Stocked Him With Sheik.
LMFAO THATS THE MARIO I WAS TALKING ABOUT AHAHAHA

I'm too good

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
My view of it has always been that pills are better suited to a more defensive style while fireballs are better for rushdowns and such, hence why I think it's a matter of preference even though pills are better on paper. Fireballs ARE better for aiding recovery, though. No way around that. Doc > Mario either way.
Why do you think Fireballs are better for recovery? It's easier to get under fireballs and easier to get over pills, I don't see how one is unconditionally better than the other.

Also, I want to play you, Trademark, Mike Money, and like, whoever else plays in New Havenish area either later this week or next week. Wish I could come today, but it's not happening :\...

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Why do you think Fireballs are better for recovery? It's easier to get under fireballs and easier to get over pills, I don't see how one is unconditionally better than the other.

Also, I want to play you, Trademark, Mike Money, and like, whoever else plays in New Havenish area either later this week or next week. Wish I could come today, but it's not happening :\...
Pills are only better if you're recovering like directly above the edge. They're completely useless in any situations where they would actually be helpful to Doc, namely when he's forced to sweetspot or when his opponent is on the edge already. You can place your fireballs by spacing yourself from the edge, but there's no remedy for pills going too low.

I'm not gonna be around later this week. You should ditch Cactuar and play with us. :D

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I think M2K's list is very accurate but I still think Fox is not better than Marth. All it takes to kill a fox is a goood u throw, u tilt, and f smash game....and thats it. Just take a fox to yoshis story, pokemon stadium, or fountain of dreams and you're fine.

Fox is extremely fast and soooo good but minimal error messes you up completely against a good Marth.

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
i wouldn't take fox to port chester stadium if i was marth, i think fox does well vs marth on dreamland, YS, and especially PS. Fox has trouble vs marth on FD, and FoD, and i'd say its about even on battlefield. also fox has extremely gay counter picks vs marth where marth really only has a neutral stage x_x.

Sheik is def not that best character she has too many hard matchups to consider her the best. m2k says his sheik is better but everytime he uses it vs someone really good he gets ***** (mango and me :D). Fox is def the best then marth follows shortly behind.

Ness is the 3rd most technical character!

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think M2K's list is very accurate but I still think Fox is not better than Marth. All it takes to kill a fox is a goood u throw, u tilt, and f smash game....and thats it. Just take a fox to yoshis story, pokemon stadium, or fountain of dreams and you're fine.

Fox is extremely fast and soooo good but minimal error messes you up completely against a good Marth.
It's a two-way street; Fox can mess Marth up badly with his grab game. He's also much harder to land grabs on in general. Also, Fox counters everybody on Stadium. No johns. He does suck badly on FoD, though.

Aesir

Smash Master
FoD is the only bad fox stage you listed.

You realize YS and PS are like really good for fox right? haha learn to play PoF Learn to play.

it takes more then a good up throw, uptilt, fsmash game to beat fox too, a good fox won't get grabbed easily if at all. In fact a good fox will be grabbing you more then anything else. Not many realize this.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The Marth Fox matchup has always been an interesting one to me, because they can both **** each other up off one grab. I feel in the end that Marth has a very slight advantage over Fox, but not much. That changes on FD though, where it's in Marth's favor a lot.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
i wouldn't take fox to port chester stadium if i was marth, i think fox does well vs marth on dreamland, YS, and especially PS. Fox has trouble vs marth on FD, and FoD, and i'd say its about even on battlefield.
I disagree @ Battlefield. The ledges mess space animals up too badly. I HATE Dreamland with Marth, though.

The bigger issue keeping me from playing today is returning my roommate's 50" plasma TV to costco :\...

Next week then?

EDIT:

PC, play me tomorrow or thursday, I need my Melee fix.
We'll figure something out.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i wouldn't take fox to port chester stadium if i was marth, i think fox does well vs marth on dreamland, YS, and especially PS. Fox has trouble vs marth on FD, and FoD, and i'd say its about even on battlefield. also fox has extremely gay counter picks vs marth where marth really only has a neutral stage x_x.

Sheik is def not that best character she has too many hard matchups to consider her the best. m2k says his sheik is better but everytime he uses it vs someone really good he gets ***** (mango and me :D). Fox is def the best then marth follows shortly behind.

Ness is the 3rd most technical character!
LOL when I was playing M2k at Chu's final Melee biweekly, he got mad that I picked Stadium against his Marth with Fox. He was like, "NO I hate this stage for this matchup. I've NEVER beaten PC's Fox here EVER", I got a big laugh out of that. I still picked Stadium and he 3 stocked me anyway haha

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
I disagree @ Battlefield. The ledges mess space animals up too badly. I HATE Dreamland with Marth, though.
yeah i used to feel the same way but if your off the stage vs marth your most likely dead anyway weather its battlefield or any other stage, it might be a little harder but as far as on stage fighting goes i think its almost dead even.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Posts are happening so fast.

That's a good point, Chris. I like being able to ride the stage and sweetspot, though.

pockyD

Smash Legend
fireballs are better for covering recovery because more often than not, it works out that you can target the edge with your fireballs without double jumping, whereas you generally have to DJ to get the right angle on pills

plus, pills tend to come in the same angle as you do, so if you don't have your DJ and are just floating in behind it, you're asking to get smacked for free; fireball would cover a slight arc over your trajectory such that it's much harder to both cancel the fireball and hit you in one stroke

Top Bottom