• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Dude, mewtwo doesn't get allergic reactions.

Supah sad post by Jam? What's wrong. T.T

School starts Tuesday for me, I am excited. Mmmm, I have to buy Ghost in the Shell volume 2 as one of my books for school, it's so amazing. Does anyone have it already so that I don't have to get it?
Rofl! So I'm mewtwo now?
>_> Lawl.

Anyways:
http://www.ghosteo.net/0822/phoenix-write-child-prodigy/

http://www.ghosteo.net/0824/the-dark-side-is-with-meta-vader/

http://www.ghosteo.net/0821/the-force-is-with-you/
Haha.
Texture hacks are too good.
-DD

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Wheres Mewtwo?! >:O
Garbage tier :p

XD The best part was, right as my throat was closing my girlfriend texted me asking how I was doing.
<_< I pulled the emergency cord so the nurses would come, and texted her back, "Haha, pretty good. I just can't breathe for a little while now. ROFL! =D."

>_> Then she like, freaked out or something.

Also, it turned out I hadn't pulled the cord, because it was stuck on my chair.
LOL the poor guy getting the same medicine as I was across the room looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

Too good.
Why do I get so much fun out of making other people worried out of their minds?
Because you're a man of honor...and a little pig headed.

If anyway knows where that's from I swear to God I'm jumping out a window.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzpv3rqhH0&feature=related

Everyone watch what he does to the Sheik's third stock NOW

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
since always, you've only beaten my spacies a few times out of the many times we've done the matchup.
Oh ****nnnnnnn.

Sorry I have to interrupt the Smash talk but I find this to be of moderate importance to my life ATM.
You should be sorry :mad:

i don't recall you ever ****** my sheik, just winning by a little

there's only 1 way to settle this

MONEY MATCH!!!!
DAMMMMMMNNNNNNN this is the most exciting the CT thread has ever been.

This thread just got too good.
I agree!!!!!!!!!

M2k's Sheik is scary, but so is PC's Fox. I don't know who would win.
The set definitely needs to get recorded or something.....definitely.

Man, after all this great character discussion, I'm making a totally depressing post later tonight. Maybe not essay-length, but close.
The fact that you slowed down the pace of this thread by saying that is depressing enough.

started monday

and cannot find my parking pass.

completely, absolutely, ****ed in every way.
Why are you the only person I know in the entire world who hates college? College is incredible.

Trade-Do not ever comment or quote anything I say. I don't care what you think.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Thanks to Budai, I got my 158$ book (not including shipping) for 88$ including shipping. **** yeah. I also got my 1--$ something book for like 20$. Hell yeah.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Tonight while at work I thought I would disect the three arguable top tier characters in Melee. I did multiple chart sets to compare and contrast each characters abilities as well as charts to compare who has the advantage on stages used in tournaments.

The Moves:

Marth---------NEUTRAL---------Sheik

F Tilt X
U tilt X
D Tilt X
Neu A X
NAIR X
FAIR X
DAIR X
BAIR X
Fsmash X
Dsmash X
Usmash X
Dash Attack X
Grab range X
CG ability X
Recovery X
Spikes X

(Work in progress)
your post doesn't look right when displayed in thread.

Also, you overrate marth by like, a lot (neutral on ftilt, marth advantage on jab, marth advantage on neutral air, marth advantage on recovery, wtf...). And also rating like, spikes over something actually useful like dash speed or dash dancing ability is pointles... Not that I agree with the methodology, but if you're going to use a chart like that to rate stuff, you need to make it better.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Have you seen PC's Mario?
No, but I can't imagine it being better than Boss'. I saw him take M2k's Marth to the last stock 80%, go hit for hit against Vidjo's Peach, and actually beat Azen's Marth all before Brawl came out. He combos every character he plays against like it's nothing. I still play him a lot and he also has an amazing Doc.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The End

I was talking to my friend Rich today (he goes by The Dragon on the boards), and we were discussing what has been going on in the CT thread the last few days: the talks about power rankings and tier lists and all the other fun stuff that we do from time to time between our usual spasms of spam. But while I was talking to him, I came to a disturbing but unavoidable conclusion. I believe that competitive Smash in CT is dead. That's a pretty bold statement, and not one that I take any pleasure in making, but I will try to outline my reasoning for believing this.

To understand the death of competitive Smash in CT, one must first understand its life. CT Smash is a unique creature. Unlike the more competitive tournament communities in New York and New Jersey, CT Smash has always been more about friends getting together to play a game together that they enjoy. This is evidenced by the lack of any formal competitive structure. Both NY and NJ have weekly or bi-weekly events where money is paid and brackets are created. CT's closest analogous events (both Vernon, Capital and other attempts) have neither charged money nor produced brackets, and attendance to both has been underwhelming.

This is because of the nature of the CT Smasher. While everyone in CT wants to win, we're not necessarily competitive enough to charge money for what could easily be a free event. Our biggest meet-ups occur in each other's homes, as opposed to some third-party venue. We are all friends, but our friendship often transcends our competitive nature, and sandbagging in friendlies is almost expected. Smash itself tends to lend itself to a friendlier, more easy-going community, and this attitude is magnified in CT. We all know that there are several CT Smashers who could easily attain prominence on a regional, if not national, level, if only they'd "take the game more seriously". Well, they just don't want to. We compete because it's fun, not necessarily to be able to point at power rankings or tournament result and say that Player A is better than Player B. In my opinion, that decision to put friendship over competition has led to the best Smash community in the entire country (as evidenced by the involvement of people far and wide in our thread), but it has cost us in the competitive sense of the game.

Speaking of our thread, just look at it. The discussion over the last few days has been an anomaly, not the norm. We have over 1000 pages, and I'd say it's fair to say that less than 10% of it is actually dedicated to Smash tactics and strategy. While New York and New Jersey are planning a crew battle against Maryland and Virginia, we CTers pore over the daily happenings of each other's lives. That's what makes CT so great, but just not in Smash.

It's no wonder that in the last few pages of discussion, the power rankings that have been suggested are dominated by those that are willing to travel out of state. The CT competitive Smash scene is in limbo right now. Melee tournaments are non-existent, and Brawl tournaments suffer from fitful attendance. In the last four Brawl tournaments listed on SWF, the five best Brawl players have not been at the same tournament at the same time (for argument's sake, I'd consider Cort, Catfight, Noodles, Prince of Fire and Solid Jake the best). In fact, OmegaBlackMage, a player from Massachusetts, has entered more of the last four Brawl tournaments in CT than all of these people combined (OBM has been to all four, the five people I listed combine for only three). There wasn't a single person from CT that placed in the top 25 at XIIesticle. This is not my opinion, these are facts.

So what conclusion can we draw from this data? It's pretty simple. As far as Melee is concerned, there cannot be a tournament scene where no tournaments exist. And for Brawl, the best people aren't attending tournaments; in fact, almost no one from CT is attending CT tournaments on a regular basis. Smash is alive and well in CT, as evidenced by the spirited discussion in the last few pages. Smash competitively, on the other hand, is looking pretty grim.

The trend is not limited to only CT though, although I think it's most prevalent here. OBM made the comment that the Northeast in general is lagging far behind the rest of the country in Smash, and I think he's right. Take a look at NE tournaments lately. Mass Madness had average attendance. Participation in CT Brawl tournaments has been sporadic. The Northeast has two tournaments on the East Coast Regional Circuit, while Maryland and Virginia have three between them. Our best and brightest Smashers are either in semi-retirement, are boycotting Brawl or just don't care. Part of this is due to the awkward transition from Melee to Brawl, but that doesn't account for all of it. We're also all growing up, taking on greater challenges and responsibilities in our lives, and don't particularly have the motivation to spend an entire day at a tournament, or to drive for hours to reach one. There's nothing wrong with that, but of course, it leads to the decline of the tournament aspect of the community.

So what do we do about this? Frankly, who says we have to do anything? Part of the conclusion I came to today is that Smash is different than it was in 2007. I now believe that year was not only the peak for Melee, but the peak for the entire Smash community, at least in the Northeast. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Some would argue that the center of Smash has always been either the West Coast or MD/VA, but I don't buy that. I do think that they are becoming so, as tournaments shift south, such as Critical Hit, FAST 1 and The Greatest Melee Tournament Since Brawl. It may be gravity, it may be a dedication to Smash down there that doesn't exist here anymore, it may be the warmer weather. Who knows? All I know is that there are no Melee tournaments in CT anymore.

And that's not necessarily bad, just different. I'm not going to try to fight the tides, or try to convince people to spend their day in a stinky, smelly, overcrowded lan center, because I'm sure that everyone has their reasons for not attending or hosting tournaments anymore, just as I do. This is not only the evolution of the community, but the people within it as well. I'll always love Smash, but I already have my eye on another game that I'm much more interested in pursuing competitively. As long as cool people want to get together and play Smash and have a good time, I'll be there.

Which, ironically, is how we got where we are today.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
^ didnt work?

maybe everyone is just getting too old and going off to college and has other stuff going on to not be able to smash a lot? <_<

plus since brawl turned up everyone seemed to have gone for that since it was the new thing and such, unless melee tournys were already in the decline >.<

_milktea

Smash Lord
lol he woke up but iunno if it was me. the "D:" face was because he lives 4 hours away

I think the scene dying is both a combination of Brawl and growing up. Truf. Tournaments used to be my everything, now I don't really care if I miss them at all. Not of any priority any longer.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
wake him up? :-3

school starts 2morrow for anyone else besides Axel and Khaly btw?
Classes start next Tuesday for me, you?

Speaking of our thread, just look at it. The discussion over the last few days has been an anomaly, not the norm. We have over 1000 pages, and I'd say it's fair to say that less than 10% of it is actually dedicated to Smash tactics and strategy. While New York and New Jersey are planning a crew battle against Maryland and Virginia, we CTers pore over the daily happenings of each other's lives. That's what makes CT so great, but just not in Smash.
I live in Maryland and I'm in this thread daily. Remember that....

I loved MD/VA in the Melee days. Now, not so much. Now it's the region with the most MK and Snake users, every tourny I have been to I have been knocked out by one or two MKs I'm not even kidding. I've seen more rivalries than friendships form here since Brawl came out, and it's because people get far more upset when they lose in Brawl than when they did in Melee.

In Melee, when you lost, you knew it was because you're opponent outsmarted and outplayed you. They either surpassed you in technical skill or mindgames or both. But in Brawl, you can lose to people worse than you due to the amount of luck and bs that takes place during a Brawl match. Not to mention the broken nature of defending in this game gives a huge advantage to the person running away, and not the one attacking.

So when you lose to someone you knew you should not have, you get very angry. Angry that you tripped into an f smash, angry that they camped the entire match, angry that you know you would easily four stock them in Melee. Such things go through people's minds when they lose a match.

I know I get this way when I lose to a random scrub in Brawl. I get very angry when it's tourny and their gay, pathetic playstyle payed off. I never felt this way about Melee. No matter how many matches I lost, no matter how many times I was gimped at 0%, I always walked away from a match with a smile on my face for the experience. I have more fun getting 4 stocked by M2k than playing Brawl. That says something.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
^im a bum and uneducated, i no school more hehe

tell Dustin to come and stay somewhere thats not 4 hours away then xD

i think my tourny john is location, idk everything seems far and i dont like driving far distances (alone) to places i havent been before. i failed 2x trying to go to Pof's and wasted half my gas -.-

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
No, but I can't imagine it being better than Boss'. I saw him take M2k's Marth to the last stock 80%, go hit for hit against Vidjo's Peach, and actually beat Azen's Marth all before Brawl came out. He combos every character he plays against like it's nothing. I still play him a lot and he also has an amazing Doc.
DJnintendo the best mario son.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The scene isn't dying. The five best players from CT don't represent the entire state. How many Brawl tournaments have there been in CT over the last two months? Five or six? It's not uncommon to have multiple tournaments happening in CT on the same weekend. That's more than we ever had in the past by a longshot, even when Melee was in full swing. The second to last Mass Madness had over 100 entrants for Brawl. The fact of the matter is that Brawl IS immensely popular. It's no secret that a lot of old school players don't like it, but it is undoubtedly attracting new players en masse.

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that New England never had a regular tournament series resembling New York and MD/VA's biweeklies. The closest we ever had was the San brothers' tournaments at their house, which averaged like 15 people. Honestly, Melee isn't any more in decline here than it is anywhere else. I acknowledged that months ago.

Personally, I don't have any plans of "quitting" Smash anytime in the immediate future, but I will say that it really sucks to prefer Melee with the way things are going.

I think it would be incredibly interesting if the Smash community started to resemble the Street Fighter community as time wears on. Honestly, I don't think it would take much more than a few of the old schoolers actually stepping up to the plate and hosting tournaments. Melee has a lot of life left in it, and even though I'm not crazy about Brawl, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Uhh...
Well, my most discouraging Brawl moment...
was when I got gayed out of a set against PoF at RG3.
<_< I just floated into the loser's bracket and sandbagged into some stupid KOs from a 9 year old GaW player.
:3 Not gonna lie, I love playing the likes of Wes/Noodles/PoF/Cort/Jam/JV/Aesir/Modest/etc. in both melee and Brawl. They're my friends and stuff, and it really rocks.
My main problem is a refusal to winning at a high priority, and I'm always concerned with making the match as epic as possible, whether I lose epically, or get brought down by an epic comback, or manage to DT Ike's FSmash and win the match[which doesn't happen*Shakes fist at Jam*].

XD I put smash as a game in my life, as it should be. When I think game, I think of the way I'd have the most fun with it, and I think to a youtuber perspective and treat the match like thousands of people online are going to watch it, and how much I'd like them to post those links in places saying, "Hot DAYUM that was a spicy meatball." Or something.

XD I've never been a really competitive person, its not in my nature. I can't even trash talk. :3.
XD If I have friends, that's what'll keep me happy with this game.

:p So yea, thats my rant in a nutshell.
Kinda lines up with what Jam was saying >_>.
-DD

Top Bottom