• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I guess they will celebrate it whenever the smash thing happens yeah. It totally defeats the purpose of anniversaries happening at a specific date, but it is Nintendo after all… lol

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm expecting a Joker-like reveal instead of the demonstrations done by Sakurai like we got for the other fighters. With everything going on, it just seems like we're in for a Joker situation again.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imagine the fighter being Biff with the Pokemon Trainer treatment getting to switch between 2, 3 or 4 characters (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Minmin).

A stretch I know but thought I'd bring up the possibility of such an idea.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Imagine the fighter being Biff with the Pokemon Trainer treatment getting to switch between 2, 3 or 4 characters (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Minmin).

Could be cool, but I think it'll be Biff himself.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not writing off the idea of a full on Smash Direct/presentation even with this. It seems like Sakurai would want to go over FP6's gameplay and mechanics and FP7

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Absolutely everything is a stretch according to this thread, even the possibilities that are sensible, so don't worry about it. I just want to know who will be proven wrong at the end of all this. :chrono:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
People are joking, but I cannot think of a single more "Sakurai" thing to do than add Biff as the fighter. It would be hysterical. He's in the image with all the fighters and the arm holding the Smash invite is coming out of his picture.

I'm 100% convinced its Biff.

Last edited:

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
People are joking, but I cannot think of a single more "Sakurai" thing to do than add Biff as the fighter. It would be hysterical. He's in the image with all the fighters and the arm holding the Smash invite is coming out of his picture.

I honestly would love that so much, I always thought they would've added him when ARMs was still getting characters

Dukefire

Smash Master
A lot of people will be pissed that their selected character(s) isn't the one if biff is chosen. Not a complaint, but a effect like how Byleth showed up. Just at a lesser scale.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I mean he does have a fist on his head he can use as a charge up attack to send anyone flying upward. It really wouldn't surprise considering Piranha Plant.

If Nintendo announces nothing ARMS, not even so much as an acknowledgement it's 3 years old, makes you wonder why a Pokémon wasn't Challenger 6. The snubbing feeling real.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I mean he does have a fist on his head he can as a charge up attack to send anyone flying upward. It really wouldn't surprise considering Piranha Plant.

If Nintendo announces nothing ARMS, not even so much as an acknowledgement it's 3 years old, makes you wonder why a Pokémon wasn't Challenger 6. The snubbing feeling real.
Agreed. Today was the perfect day to release everything. Its a shame that things weren't timed better. There's still a little hope that they'll drop a video later in the day though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember that time when people assumed Jack Frost might help Joker in any capacity?

It's kind of hard to see them willingly pass over Slime for Hero, then do a complete 180 with Biff here. Even if it is a supposed possibility (despite the fact that he hardly speaks in the third person on a regular basis).

I just hope this absurd phase of FP2 speculation ends soon...

Agreed. Today was the perfect day to release everything. Its a shame that things weren't timed better. There's still a little hope that they'll drop a video later in the day though.
As far as I see it, nothing is celebrated unless timing allows for it. Unlike 4, we aren't in a base game, so there's no legroom for that. :ultlittlemac:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Biff's face was shown on that screen so he is both a possibility and more likely than an ARMS 2 rep. A game that for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
As far as Biff's appearance in Smash goes, I imagine him being more like Morgana or Slime at most: he only appears in the ARMS character's taunt.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
A lot of people will be pissed that their selected character(s) isn't the one if biff is chosen. Not a complaint, but a effect like how Byleth showed up. Just at a lesser scale.
That's why I was even more against the idea of teasing a full list of characters. Usually people have themselves to blame for speculation and expectations, but now Nintendo actually showed fans a list of characters that they can hope for, and considering most of these characters each have a fanbase of their own… yeah. I wish they teased it in a different way and not a full list of characters lol, it's gonna end in disappointment no matter what. I personally dont really care about Arms, my attention is more towards seein what happens in the mii costume section… that's always scary haha

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's why I was even more against the idea of teasing a full list of characters. Usually people have themselves to blame for speculation and expectations, but now Nintendo actually showed fans a list of characters that they can hope for, and considering most of these characters each have a fanbase of their own… yeah. I wish they teased it in a different way and not a full list of characters lol, it's gonna end in disappointment no matter what. I personally dont really care about Arms, my attention is more towards seein what happens in the mii costume section… that's always scary haha
Meh, ARMS' fanbase is like a speck in the entire Smash fanbase. Hardly on the scale of ones like for Geno. So I doubt the animosity would affect much.

In any case, they clearly didn't have anything finished yet, and didn't want to have us wait for months to even know ARMS is in Smash at all, so it's all that could be done at the time. An assurance that we'll get something to make up for just AT and spirits.

I figure that the presentation, in whatever eldritch form it'll even take, will theoretically clear up everything. It's still too early to assume the hows, whats, and whys of this reveal approach.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Eh I don't really know about Biff. I think the ARMS rep should collectively represent the franchise and not just themselves and although it is possible Biff could do all the stuff, they at that point may as well pick a character who definitely can do all that stuff. That's why I'm fairly certain it's Springman.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Biff in Spain is named 'Puñejandro' (From Puño-Fist and Alejandro, a male name). Not even a word play or sense, just a weird mix. I can tell you that it's one of the most ridiculous names ever adapted, sounds terrible. 'Puñejandro' in Smash could be a nuke.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Nintendo's social media teams confuse me. ARMS should be getting a lot of attention right now and they didn't even tweet about the game's third birthday. I'll never understand how Nintendo works.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Nintendo's social media teams confuse me. ARMS should be getting a lot of attention right now and they didn't even tweet about the game's third birthday. I'll never understand how Nintendo works.
To be fair, they didn't tweet about ARMS' 2nd anniversary until the end of the Party Crash Bash, which I believe was 11 days after the actual anniversary day.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I don't really think that Biff would be a Sakurai thing to do. I know the fandom likes to hype up this image of Sakurai as a master troll, but really, most of his decisions have logic behind them other than trolling the fanbase. For example, though Wii Fit Trainer was definitely an unexpected character, Wii Fit was an incredibly popular game with a massive number of sales, and it made sense for Sakurai to want to represent it in a game that acts as a celebration of Nintendo history. Piranha Plant was another super unexpected character, but it's one of the most recurring Mario enemies with tons of forms and abilities throughout Mario history. He didn't just choose a random Mario enemy, he specifically chose a character that had lots of moveset potential. ROB was unexpected, but ROB is an important part of Nintendo history and had appeared in Mario Kart DS several years prior. They were all surprising characters, but they weren't included purely to troll the fanbase. They were included because they were important to Nintendo history and had tons of moveset potential.

Biff is not important to Nintendo history, not really that important to ARMS (that's debatable, but other than the possible hints in Misango's stage, he isn't significant to the lore, and I'd also say that an NPC in a fighting game will almost never be more important than a playable character), and his moveset would likely be far less interesting than any other ARMS fighter (all other fighters have gimmicks and multiple ARMS; all Biff has is the arm on his head). It would do nothing other than spit in the face of the majority of ARMS fans, especially considering how heated people have been the last three months. Most people have gotten their hopes up for a specific character they want, and for Sakurai to say, "Surprise! None of you get what you want!" would be sort of cruel. Some non-ARMS fans already seem not too thrilled with having an ARMS fighter, and I highly doubt they would appreciate the ARMS fighter being a joke character. It would add to the belief that the ARMS character was just a waste of a slot. Adding Biff seems like a great way for them to kill the sales of the Fighters Pass. Unpopular joke characters are not a good way to get people to buy something, especially something where the fans have to trust you to make good decisions. If Piranha Plant was FP1 instead of just being a fun bonus character, it almost certainly wouldn't have sold as well.

If you genuinely like Biff and want him in the game, good for you! However, I don't think it would be a very well-received decision, and it would likely have negative effects on the sales of the Fighters Pass. Even if Sakurai was the type to include characters purely to mess with the fanbase, I doubt Nintendo would let him go through with this one.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I like to think they just use less brain cells than [insert braindead character] mains :p

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I don't really think that Biff would be a Sakurai thing to do. I know the fandom likes to hype up this image of Sakurai as a master troll, but really, most of his decisions have logic behind them other than trolling the fanbase. For example, though Wii Fit Trainer was definitely an unexpected character, Wii Fit was an incredibly popular game with a massive number of sales, and it made sense for Sakurai to want to represent it in a game that acts as a celebration of Nintendo history. Piranha Plant was another super unexpected character, but it's one of the most recurring Mario enemies with tons of forms and abilities throughout Mario history. He didn't just choose a random Mario enemy, he specifically chose a character that had lots of moveset potential. ROB was unexpected, but ROB is an important part of Nintendo history and had appeared in Mario Kart DS several years prior. They were all surprising characters, but they weren't included purely to troll the fanbase. They were included because they were important to Nintendo history and had tons of moveset potential.

Biff is not important to Nintendo history, not really that important to ARMS (that's debatable, but other than the possible hints in Misango's stage, he isn't significant to the lore, and I'd also say that an NPC in a fighting game will almost never be more important than a playable character), and his moveset would likely be far less interesting than any other ARMS fighter (all other fighters have gimmicks and multiple ARMS; all Biff has is the arm on his head). It would do nothing other than spit in the face of the majority of ARMS fans, especially considering how heated people have been the last three months. Most people have gotten their hopes up for a specific character they want, and for Sakurai to say, "Surprise! None of you get what you want!" would be sort of cruel. Some non-ARMS fans already seem not too thrilled with having an ARMS fighter, and I highly doubt they would appreciate the ARMS fighter being a joke character. It would add to the belief that the ARMS character was just a waste of a slot. Adding Biff seems like a great way for them to kill the sales of the Fighters Pass. Unpopular joke characters are not a good way to get people to buy something, especially something where the fans have to trust you to make good decisions. If Piranha Plant was FP1 instead of just being a fun bonus character, it almost certainly wouldn't have sold as well.

If you genuinely like Biff and want him in the game, good for you! However, I don't think it would be a very well-received decision, and it would likely have negative effects on the sales of the Fighters Pass. Even if Sakurai was the type to include characters purely to mess with the fanbase, I doubt Nintendo would let him go through with this one.
Biff literally plays a role in every single finale of every single fighter, he is in every grand prix picture and also has extendable arms, it’s totally doable when you compare Sakurai considering Slime if Hero wasn’t possible.

Well, maybe Springman already plays a role in the game so they will go with Biff, which is the only character in the game with actual dialogue as well.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Weirdos are more of an exception, not the rule. And even then Piranha Plant only got in after Mario had a bunch of its essential characters already in.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
To be fair, they didn't tweet about ARMS' 2nd anniversary until the end of the Party Crash Bash, which I believe was 11 days after the actual anniversary day.
But you see that was a special one of a kind event going on. Right now there's no event, all that anything's running on is fumes and hopes. Nintendo needs to get some kind of ball rolling. Right now, the online is bad, your last fighter reveal half a year ago was the most divisive thing since Reboot Dante in PlayStation All-Stars, and your new one you've been teasing is still a mystery. Drop a Joker-style trailer without gameplay if you have to. We need names.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
But you see that was a special one of a kind event going on. Right now there's no event, all that anything's running on is fumes and hopes. Nintendo needs to get some kind of ball rolling. Right now, the online is bad, your last fighter reveal half a year ago was the most divisive thing since Reboot Dante in PlayStation All-Stars, and your new one you've been teasing is still a mystery.
See, I agree with this. If I were Nintendo, I'd be trying to hype people up. I'd be tweeting things like "Is everyone ready for the new ARMS fighter coming to Smash this month?" occasionally. Today being the anniversary of the game seems like a perfect time to try to spark some excitement, but they just don't.

I guess the DLC sells incredibly well either way so they don't feel the need to drum up any additional excitement. Its still weird to me though.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We talking about Biff? It is implied he's related to the gods that the Misangan people worship. In Misango's victory artwork it shows his people really excited to see Biff and treating him like a huge deal.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Spirits/tourneys usually get announced tonight right? Or was it every 2 weeks? Could help but probably not. Either way worth asking I think

Last edited:
Top Bottom