• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A sword and shield showcase has been announced? it says it was written by Amazon Gaming and there was stuff about Saturday? I'm confused. Could someone elaborate?

Anyway elsewhere before we completely rule off this week, it could maybe still happen tonight or tomorrow as a shadow drop.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember, Nintendo and sense are not a frequent combination.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Ribbon Girl having that amount of movement actually reflects ARMS as a whole, where all fighters have air dashes to quickly change direction. Putting Ribbon Girl’s multiple jumps in Smash would also be perfectly possible in Smash. Heck, porting her from how she plays in ARMS is in exact accordance to the Smash rules, even moreso if she is indeed more of an air fighter and thus can use an air dash.

Spring Man’s gimmicks aside from long range could also work together to enhance the mechanics already present in ARMS and help him translate to Smash because of that: The deflect wouldn’t be a “gimmick” but can simply be a special move that allows him to deal with counter-zoning, actively rounding out his playstyle AND serving as an extra facet of his playstyle in ARMS.

Coyle’s permanent levitation (and thus her lack of jumps, being replaced with a flight system) would not work as a gimmick in Smash. That‘s fine, she has plenty of other gimmicks and can wonderfully represent ARMS by having a personal skill that ties into both charging ARMS and the long range punching by having a third ARM occasionally. However, if you want to make a fighter feel like they are in ARMS, I’d rather pick a character whose gimmicks already comply with Smash’s rules and can thus be faithfully ported. I don’t think floating deconfirms her and I think she’s the sixth most likely fighter and probably the funnest one, but her floating is something that she has to lose in the transition to Smash, sadly.
How exactly do we know that the floating won't work if it hasn't ever been tried before? (Unless there's a RoA/Brawl/ect. mod character that tried it that I haven't heard of.)

She doesn't exactly have a flight system in ARMS; she can only hover up to a limited distance above the ground that's below her (and, as such, in Smash, she wouldn't be able to fly around offstage or become unreachably high above the stage.) Although, if she can shield in midair, I wonder if that would be frustrating for the opponent simply due to the fact that most characters don't have grabs that can reach an aerial opponent (unlike in ARMS) and thus wouldn't be able to do anything but attempt to shield poke her. On the other hand, this type of movement sounds kind of slow in the context of Smash, which would make her even more vulnerable to rushdown, unless maybe she has a regular-ish single jump from the ground to make the ground-air transition faster.

I think it's unlikely that they would try this since they'd probably consider the ARMS character's (whoever they are) other gimmicks to be enough, but I still think it's interesting to consider atypical movement options like this.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
NOA now tweeting almost hourly

it's like they're rolling out a backlog of tweets

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well ok, maybe they're starting to wake up :p How long before they realize it's supposed to be a hype gaming time.

Just reveal already XD

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This means we're close to a reveal, why?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
How exactly do we know that the floating won't work if it hasn't ever been tried before? (Unless there's a RoA/Brawl/ect. mod character that tried it that I haven't heard of.)

She doesn't exactly have a flight system in ARMS; she can only hover up to a limited distance above the ground that's below her (and, as such, in Smash, she wouldn't be able to fly around offstage or become unreachably high above the stage.) Although, if she can shield in midair, I wonder if that would be frustrating for the opponent simply due to the fact that most characters don't have grabs that can reach an aerial opponent (unlike in ARMS) and thus wouldn't be able to do anything but attempt to shield poke her. On the other hand, this type of movement sounds kind of slow in the context of Smash, which would make her even more vulnerable to rushdown, unless maybe she has a regular-ish single jump from the ground to make the ground-air transition faster.

I think it's unlikely that they would try this since they'd probably consider the ARMS character's (whoever they are) other gimmicks to be enough, but I still think it's interesting to consider atypical movement options like this.
It’s a combination of things. Floating alone isn’t that special and even moving while floating has been done with Peach, but as Peach shows, a float affects even a basic moveset to be the main focus of that set. Especially a float as complicated as Coyle’s is bound to be centralizing, to the point where the ARMS mechanics would be overshadowed.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It’s a combination of things. Floating alone isn’t that special and even moving while floating has been done with Peach, but as Peach shows, a float affects even a basic moveset to be the main focus of that set. Especially a float as complicated as Coyle’s is bound to be centralizing, to the point where the ARMS mechanics would be overshadowed.
To be honest, I personally see Coyle's hovering more like a really low fall speed.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I mean, it’d feel pretty different to, say, just hold the jump button and be able to float over platforming-heavy stages like some of the scrolling stages (3D Land, ect.) while raining down downward-angled punches. She’d also be able to vertically zigzag up and down near the top of her hover height limit indefinitely, which no other character can do (although the slow vertical acceleration of the float would probably make that kind of useless compared to any other character just spamming neutral jump or something.)

Although,

To be honest, I personally see Coyle's hovering more like a really low fall speed.
would probably work too.

Anyway, I just thought it was worth discussing...

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I mean, it’d feel pretty different to, say, just hold the jump button and be able to float over platforming-heavy stages like some of the scrolling stages (3D Land, ect.) while raining down downward-angled punches. She’d also be able to vertically zigzag up and down near the top of her hover height limit indefinitely, which no other character can do (although the slow vertical acceleration of the float would probably make that kind of useless compared to any other character just spamming neutral jump or something.)

Although,

would probably work too.

Anyway, I just thought it was worth discussing...
It’s most definitely worth discussing and it‘s cool to see how far the ARMS mechanics, be it personal gimmicks or general mechanics, can go. Personally I think Coyle’s float as it is in ARMS is too much, but that doesn’t mean there are options regarding it that aren’t worth exploring. I definitely think, for example, that Twintelle’s float could work, albeit as a special move.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember, Nintendo and sense are not a frequent combination.
NOA now tweeting almost hourly

it's like they're rolling out a backlog of tweets
Well ok, maybe they're starting to wake up :p How long before they realize it's supposed to be a hype gaming time.

Just reveal already XD
Like I said earlier, Nintendo pulling out the backlog of videos.
In this case, there kind of was more pressing matters on the Western end of things.

Remember, we're still in June, we'll hear of the ARMS news before we get into July.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Announce the fighter, announce the date, announce the announcement, something, AnyYtHInGGGGG. A potato sack race around the world would finish faster than this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Announce the fighter, announce the date, announce the announcement, something, AnyYtHInGGGGG. A potato sack race around the world would finish faster than this.
Does that include the self isolation needed to move between countries?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Does that include the self isolation needed to move between countries?
Implying it will be in cities? Lad, we're going over mountains, through forests, jungles, the fogs of mystery. There is no challenge if no bear mistook you in a conveniently McDonald branded bag for a french fry.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
nintendo of europe and america finally receiving the all-clear from corporate that the period of silence is over like

1591824765660.png

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Kinda curious on one thing, Hoka-Kola.

Who do you think the rep will be?
I'm certain it's going to be Spring Man but I guess they could add alts. I guess coin that in there too but it's either one or the other as alts could very well not be included

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
What would you guys think if Sakurai added Mechanica if he was a fan of Tron Bonne in MvC?

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'd think he should have added Tron Bonne.
I think maybe Nintendo wouldn't allow it. For some reason there seems to be a limit to how many fighters from another company are added, 3 being the apparent limit so Sakurai would be using Mechanica as a workaround if he wanted a robo-pilot in like Tron. I'm just throwing things out there. Bored.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think maybe Nintendo wouldn't allow it. For some reason there seems to be a limit to how many fighters from another company are added, 3 being the apparent limit so Sakurai would be using Mechanica as a workaround if he wanted a robo-pilot in like Tron. I'm just throwing things out there. Bored.
I don't know if there's a limit for that sort of thing. When Smash 4 came out, I figured that we'd be only getting one fighter per third party company because I thought that Nintendo wouldn't want to appear biased towards any particular company. Then Capcom and Sega got new characters in Smash 4's DLC, and then for Smash Ultimate, those two companies got a third character while Square-Enix got a second and Konami got two new ones plus Snake.

It's probably best not to assume that there's a firm limit on how many characters a third party company can get (within reason), especially with five more DLC characters (aside from the ARMS character) incoming.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Xehannort in the Geno thread pointed this out

Private videos on Available Now! playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWuBM9nLyEwkdUB5xCSYCJp

And one of them is on New this Week playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDXjI4ZM75o9735edXmVLpd8

And both of them are on Nothing But Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDUpBayfo8lcxCXkvTzerwuY

Remember to take this, as a grin of salt, but something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’ve got my alarm set for before the timeframe Nintendo usually goes with for these presentations (8 AM on my time zone), so I’ll catch whatever this new potentially shadow dropped thing before the info’s spread too much.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If a Smash/Nintendo Direct or Sakurai presentation doesn't appear this week, then next week will be the case.
D8p0QuAUwAAFQmR.jpeg

Top Bottom