• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Even if they aren't going to do ARMS this week, I hope they do something at least like a BOTW2 trailer. :p
I personally hope for a trailer of a new 2D Metroid title.

Kinda unlikely but I do really want more Metroid stuff on the Switch to add to an already wonderful line of games.

Wouldn't be upset at all about a new BotW2 trailer either.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I personally hope for a trailer of a new 2D Metroid title.

Kinda unlikely but I do really want more Metroid stuff on the Switch to add to an already wonderful line of games.

Wouldn't be upset at all about a new BotW2 trailer either.
The bad thing is that there isn't any metroid stuff on switch. Oh and one minute till dashed hopes

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Already shared this on the Social and Newcomer thread. Figured I post this here as well.

Claims that Vergeben has returned with some new game info including Smash.

That it'll be the Hero treatment with Spring Man as the default.

D

Deleted member

Gonna wait until official information comes out before shouting about a wolf.

Vergeben said in the past that Marvel vs Capcom 5 was happening and since then nothing has came out of that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Nintendo of Europe is breaking their radio silence now, we'll have to keep our eyes open for the remainder of the day.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Already shared this on the Social and Newcomer thread. Figured I post this here as well.

I don't see anything on the accounts he's listed in GameFAQs, so this is most definitely bogus..

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

This just looks like a random discord dm. Any reason why this couldn't be written off as something like 'I can do that pretty simply as it's just a claim so it's fake'? That and let's be honest here, the ARMS rep probably isn't going to leak. The fact that Byleth wasn't triangulated like Sakurai said probably means they are keeping it under tight wraps

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, my bad about that.

I kinda counted Infinite as 4 and I should have added an annotation about that.
Considering how badly Infinite flopped, they’d have to start fresh with a true 4 in a few years

no Phoenix Wright in infinite was the biggest crime imo

D

Deleted member

Considering how badly Infinite flopped, they’d have to start fresh with a true 4 in a few years

The lack of Viewtiful Joe and Dr.Doom also hurted for me.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'd say that cutting the X-Men, Dr. Doom, and Deadpool over petty licensing/movie rights squabbles was worse, at least in my opinion.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'd say that cutting the X-Men, Dr. Doom, and Deadpool over petty licensing/movie rights squabbles was worse, at least in my opinion.
And the worse part? With the MCU as big as it is, they'll probably do it again. Let's just hope the Capcom side can compensate this time...

D

Deleted member

With how Ultimate Alliance 3 turned out, I doubt it.
Completely agree.

Marvel seems to have learned their lesson as to how to take their content in videogames, and I'm quite glad about it.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, here's the reveal for today:

I'm already in Monday, I don't spect something the rest of the week.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, here's the reveal for today:

I'm already in Monday, I don't spect something the rest of the week.
It's too early to call it quits. Nintendo's strategy for announcements have been very different as of late and we can't rely on past patterns for the first Fighter Pass to gauge when announcements drop

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We'll see what happens between now and 9am Japan time.
My current feeling is a Thursday announcement to watch something on Tuesday 16th

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Or just a shadow drop which I'm half expecting by about .02% more than a livestreamed presentation

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, apparently there's gonna be yet another tournament this week starting the 12th, but for the characters born in the 00s.

Is the June 16th leak closer to becoming true, or being killswitched? I think the needle in the haystack might probably have been found.

Until then, the PS5 stream could shake things up tomorrow.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Okay, I have played ARMS, cross-referenced rosters from the different ARMS demos, analysed default ARMS for each characters, counted appearances in the game from the gallery to the title screen to the game mode cameos, looked at Party Crash results, took a deep dive into all possible mechanics and now I am here to lay down the law and present to you the ultimate analysis of the ARMS character. I’m not just saying which ones have the biggest chance, but also how each character would implement the ARMS mechanics in Smash.

Let‘s jump in with the chances, who I think is most likely is grouped in three/four groups, but the last two groups only consisting of two characters.

These groups are based on promotion, popularity and story.
The promotion duo is who you’d expect, being Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.
Spring Man, you know and in the case of likelyness there is a lot said and to be said about him. Personally, I don’t think the weird reveal necessarily means it’s not Spring Man and I don’t think the AT deconfirms. Personally the fact I am ranking him in this top 5 (or top 7 depending on whether you see the Honorable Mentions as those that fell outside of top 5) means I still have faith in him. This is because I think that, like in his base game, he is the perfect character to represent ARMS with.
This is because of his base ARMS. I think base ARMS are important. While every character can use every ARM, doing this not only requires grinding, but also changes the character from how they are portrayed in their artworks. While every character posted below has a great potential playstyle with their base ARMS, from all-rounder to bullet hell to dumb goober, Spring Man has an especially elegant set of ARMS to his disposal.

Spring Man has access to the Toaster glove, the Boomerang and the Tri-Bolt. These three represent the most used glove types and three different playstyles. How you want to incorporate these is up to you, either through ARMS switching or through a Byleth system with set moves using a certain weapon.
When it comes to ARMS changing, I think a Pokémon Trainer system works best, with the three ARMS being quickly swappable. First the left ARMS, then the right ARMS. If that is too complicated, it is possible that the changing system only affects the left arm, with the right arm always using the hasic Toaster glove. Since it’d be much quicker than swapping Pokémon, I personally do not believe a swapping mechanism should be present in the character select menu and in order not to detract too much from other ARMS mechanics, none of the fighters have a customization system featuring more than their three base ARMS (although some use other ARMS in a Villager-type of system. For Spring Man, I’m personally opting for a Byleth system, but your mileage may vary.
Spring Man’s ARMS vary the most between them, while also being ARMS basic enough for everyone to understand. His Roaster is the base, being the heaviest and, well, punchiest of the three. It wouldn’t arc as much, but it can arc a little.
The Boomerang, as it says, would be the one doing the arching. With this ARM, you’d have the most control over the aim, being able to swerve around the battlefield. Arching and aiming is a very important mechanic in ARMS and while all three would be able to in the relevant moves (like Forward Air, Back Air, Forward Tilt, Forward Smash etc.), the Boomerang would have the most amount of difference between the angles as well as having an arch in their movement.
The Tri-Bolt is a multihit weapon, being very quick and dealing plenty of damage if all three hits connect, but having low priority and being easily dismantled by a counterattack. Through mobility and aiming, the three shots can be spread out more.
Together with these weapons, Spring Man can have an option-based playstyle where weight and priority plays a role, with some weapons being easier to smack away than others, some working better in close range etc.
His parry personal mechanic can be a Side B and his charge can be a Neutral B, being quicker to perform the less health he has. If he goes the Byleth route and ARMS changing doesn’t need to be a special, the parry can be Down B and Side B can be a command grab.

The other mascot of this game is Ribbon Girl, being featured side-by-side with Spring Man as the most prominent characters in this game. While she loses the status of main mascot to Spring Man, she trades that by being a bit less basic than Spring Man and, if that’s a hurdle, isn’t an Assist Trophy.
Ribbon Girl’s playstyle could be similar to Spring Man, but she trades a more neat-fitting trifecta of weapons for a chance to represent the mobility aspect of ARMS. Her mobility is above-average, which could come in handy to smooth over the transition between the 3D arena of ARMS and the 2D arena of Smash, replacing an extra plane of dimension with more mobility in the planes present in Smash. Most importantly, things like air dashes and ground dashes can be more palatable if her playstyle revolves around mobility in the first place. This would give her a playstyle based around being a wall that can move around the stage and would give her a flair beyond “long arms“. That said, she probably wouldn’t feature charging or swapping as a mechanic, just vibing with her regular Sparkies with some moves using the Star Burst or the Slapamander. Overall, a pick with personality, but with the in-game presence to back it up. If the shonen protag isn’t for you, the famous popstar might be for you.

The popularity duo you’ve seen thrown around as possibilities as well, being Twintelle and Min Min
Min Min could work if she uses her Megaton and Ram-Ram ARMS as the default and saves the laser dragon for specials. Min Min‘s iconic dragon laser is too eclectic for it to fit in a set meant to be the ARMS character to represent the ARMS gameplay as a whole instead of focussing on their own abilities that the rest of the ARMS cast doesn’t share.

That said, I do believe that Min Min can do that. Charging ARMS is a big part of ARMS and so is the left-right alternation and the kind of “one-two-punch-rhythm“ the game has.
Min Min can portray both with her dragon arm mechanic (the green serpent thick arm itself, not the laser dragon weapon). If she indeed uses the Megawatt arm on one hand and the Ram-Ram on the other hand, the Megawatt would be the big and burly ARM with hith priority, high knockback and damage at the expense of slow speed and slow retraction speed and the Ram-Ram would be a small, quick and curvable ARM that flies faster but gets interrupted easier.
If you add the dragon arm (again, the serpent-arm, not the laser weapon), the weapon on the left hand would gain a boost when charged. The catch? The two ARMS can swap positions, so either you get a powered up Megawatt, or a powered up Ram-Ram, depending on preference.
To that, you can add the multi-hit aspect of ARMS that Link’s Forward Smash has: If such moves like Piranha Plant’s Forward Tilt, Link‘s Forward Smash or Bayonetta’s Forward Air would feature heavily in Min Min’s moveset, the right arm would always be fired first. So, when swapping the ARMS, do you want a Megawatt as a shield with the Ram-Ram poking after that, or do you want the Ram-Ram to get in quick for hitstun so that the Megawatt can land a big hit?
The Smashes can then feature the laser dragon weapon. Maybe those could be multihits too? Where the right ARM, either the Megawatt or the RamRam would fire first, before the laser wrecking shop. Megawatt would be a better shield and if it hits, would lead into Laser for INSANE damage, but Ram-Ram would confirm into Laser as well, but much quicker.
As for liklehood, she won Party Crash, but even before that her popularity was very much noted by Nintendo, as the title of the Party Crash between her and Twintelle was alluding to their fan favorite status, with the description even mentioning this was two fan faves duking it out. With all the other Party Crashes, they found a Mario Party-esque team name that highlighted their design similarities. The Party Crash between the two fan faves being about being the fan faves means that their popularity was their defining trait, even before Crash Bash.
While Party Crash is as volatile, if not moreso, than Splatfest, her winning it does solidify her already apparent status as “fan fave”
I’m not gonna talk about her kick ability a lot since it’s not that relevant. Most characters in this game have legs they can kick with in the case they need short-ranged moves and if Inklings kick, twist and punch their way around the battlefield, so can other characters not named Min Min.

Twintelle is the other character whose popularity was acknowledged by the developers: Not only was she added to the Global Testpunch by sheer demand, she’s also present in the ARMS demo alongside the main four of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Master Mummy. She also, along with Min Min, got a Spirit, being one of the I think five characters to do so.
As for playstyle, she’d take a similar approach to Min Min, but this time using a Chilla boxing glove and a Parasol. The Parasol acts as a defensive weapon, being slow in travel speed but covering a lot of space in the process, and the Chilla is a quick punch. Twintelle would have one on one arm and the other on the other and like Min Min, can switch the order in order to use the Parasol’s defense in different ways in a centurion sort of way, covering her approach.
Her Actress Aura would probably be more akin to Gravitational Pull rather than Witch Time, and would probably be an anti-projectile measure moreso than a force used against all attacks. Overall, I kinda explained the alternation left-right/first-second in the Min Min section, but that doesn’t mean that Twintelle is less unique. Her more basic and defined glove-parasol combination might actually fit better than the Megawatt/Ram-Ram combination and could work together moreso than being total opposites like the latter. Additionally, her Actress Aura float can come in handy to bring in air dashes with her being able to dash out of her float to cancel it, giving her a small boost. This way, the air dash isn’t a seperate move but instead a foot note in a move of her own.

Then the story character contains two characters too, but unlike the other categories, one character eclipses the other. This duo is Max Brass and Dr. Coyle. Both appear in the story mode, indiscriminately of who you play as. Every character’s “story mode’’ revolves around beating Max Brass, revolves around winning the championship personified by the Champion, Max Brass. Dr. Coyle also appears and represents the ARMS Lab, exuding her presence in more than simply her own character but also in things like Hedlok and Helix.
However, out of these two I’d only consider Max Brass to be likely. Not only is story presence a relatively small factor, Dr. Coyle’s flight mechanic is one that wouldn’t fit in Smash as well.
Max Brass also brings something else to the table, although it is a double-edged sword, which is the potential of a heavyweight, which would help with balancing both the ARMS mechanic and the roster in general. His Bulk Up mechanic (probably a Down B) also goes great with the overall charging mechanic, and his gloves are mostly of the basic sort with the explosive element. This is the pick I’d consider if I didn’t want to commit to Spring Man but wanted a Spring Man moveset or a heavyweight needed to be in. As for moveset, he’d either be a long-range, volatile boxer with his Roaster ARMS, which are basic boxing gloves, or he could be a Master of ARMS since he’s the champion, using a lot of different ARMS. His explosive, long range ARMS would be very strong, at the expense of hurting him when the opponent is up close and being barely curvable, needing to use jumps in order to cover vertical space. In return, he can be oppressive when he gets going and could be decently fast like Bowser.

As for Dr. Coyle, while I don’t think her meager story and promotional presence justifies picking her over other characters, her playstyle could involve her personal mechanics working well with the mechanics of ARMS. Her floating ability, probably interpreted as a R.O.B-like Up B, gives her a playstyle that can rain pain like a wall, similar to Ribbon Girl and would give her the mobility closest to the 3D capabilities of ARMS, being able to evade and approach with visually and mechanically sound air dashes, represented in a Side B probably. Unlike others, I don’t see her swapping ARMS as a Down B mechanic, but moreso as a Villager-like set where each ARM would feature as a single move. As the ARMS Lab president, she would have knowledge of all ARMS and with her gizmo-like design, she can swap out ARMS quickly and in a visually cool way. Furthermore, her Lokhead weapon shoots explosives as an additional projectile, giving her a bullet hell playstyle accompanied with her float and her third ARM. I think picking her would be based on design moreso than importance and gameplay cohesion with her design, since this tech design allows for the most logical ways to swap ARMS and do the subtle mobility options ARMS has. Definitely a dark horse pick though, although she enjoys a share of popularity as well, since again story importance is not that big a deal in a multiplayer game like ARMS. Still, her presence is looming over ARMS and thus over this analysis.

Now, outside of those, I think Helix has a chance of being the character Sakurai could pick if he wants to be funny. The character design caught the eye of players as well and the character falls in the category of just weird enough to work. In this approach, it doesn’t matter whether his ARMS are unconventional, because that’d be the point. Helix’ stretching could go beyond the extent hurtbox shifting present in the game and could have him move around the arena like a slinky, become a full-blown puddle and could have attacks where he shrinks first and then pops out with a length longer than ever. The rest could be filled up with his Blob-ARMS punching, bouncing and springing around. This is a character only EVER seen in ARMS and the character that could be the wild-card regardless of all speculation and odds based on Sakurai pointing at the lil booger and saying “I want to go to there”

other characters are not helix and thus are not up for dark horse status, but some bullet points for the rest:
-Ninjara has the same type of gloves as Spring Man, shares a ninja aesthetic with two other characters and beyond being there in demos and spirits sacrifices a whole lot of prominence for...not being Spring Man? I guess? If Ninjara is the pick, then Mii Costumes deconfirm for there is no reason to pick Ninjara over Ribbon Girl imho except for maybe the air dashes being more easily represented through a Shadow Sneak-like maneuvre.
-Master Mummy is dummy thick and is a glacier-weight in a game where that is the exception moreso than the rule. Again, sure he’s part of the four that’s in the demo and not called Twintelle, but his playstyle is not indicative of ARMS and he doesn’t have the popularity or prominence to back himself up, even not having a Spirit in Smash.
-Mechanica sure exists. Not very prominent, decently popular and her mech does make representing air dashes and the like easier, but a mech fighter isn’t the fighting ARMS is about and can easily be filled in by other fighters. Just don’t have an extendable arm attached the the missiles fired and...yeah you got any mech fighter ever. That said I love her and her air-based evasion tactics would be a great way to represent ARMS in a 2D environment. (Although I believe Dr. Coyle can do the same while having more popularity and a more ARMS-like design, hence the shoutout to her)
-The rest of these guys are either DLC, massively decreasing their prominence or have mechanics that overshadow the ARMS mechanics (or both, in the case of Misango). Kid Cobra and Lola Pop deserve a shout-out for being functional though, although their mix of not outstanding popularity and low presence in the game and promos make them extreme dark horses, even moreso than Helix who at least got that dark horse popularity back when eyes were still on ARMS and is so dysfunctional as a character design it’s funny.
-No it’s not gonna be an ARMS 2 character
-Hero-situation? Maybe. But it’d have to be based on characters that neatly fit that and probably have a basic boxing playstyle. The only characters I can imagine doing this as a group of four are Spring-Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Spring Tron and even then I’m not sure. Noticably, this’d leave out Min Min and Twintelle. Spring Man with Spring Tron half-and-half alts could work though, as could alts referencing other characters but not being them

Last edited:

I’m just wondering why someone else is going around claiming that Vergeben said these things? Isn’t he only on Gamefaqs and Reddit? If he said these things how come we can’t see it on those platforms?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We'll see what happens between now and 9am Japan time.
My current feeling is a Thursday announcement to watch something on Tuesday 16th
Sounds like the best compromise, otherwise there's no way the reveal wouldn't get ignored by the incoming PS5 hype. The floodgates for that one are gonna open by the end of tomorrow. Also, the final occasion to do it before Pokémon Swish's first DLC launches.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So just in case the Sakurai Presents: “ARMS” thing does get shadow dropped tomorrow, the usual time for these videos is 9 AM CST, right? I wanna be up and not miss it like I did with the Direct Mini.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So just in case the Sakurai Presents: “ARMS” thing does get shadow dropped tomorrow, the usual time for these videos is 9 AM CST, right? I wanna be up and not miss it like I did with the Direct Mini.
Yeah it's usually 8 or 9am converting time zones

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I guess I'll be up by 9 AM EST, but I'm not gonna expect anything. I'd be surprised if there was anything on the same week as a tournament.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up too but as said, it happened with Byleth and the spirit event shortly before they were revealed

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd get up early in any case, an hour before 12 is worth 2 after.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
It's either tomorrow or the week after as they probably wouldn't want to reveal it so close to the Pokemon stuff launching. I think most of us can wait for a release, it's pretty much the reveal.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's either tomorrow or the week after as they probably wouldn't want to reveal it so close to the Pokemon stuff launching. I think most of us can wait for a release, it's pretty much the reveal.
Yeah, considering how big Smash and Pokemon are respectively, having a reveal so close to Isle of Armor's release means cannibalization one way or another.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's fair enough. Still beats waiting for :ultjoker: in any regard (and it's still in June).

The only thing that's a dome-scratcher right now is the supposed June 16th leak.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had a thought. There's nothing concrete on this, it's pure speculation and I don't think I'd want it (not that it'll stop the walls of text telling me how dumb I am for suggesting it anyway) but, what if the character was a different ARMS character on each costume?

It would be a bit tricky given how out there the body types of ARMS characters can get.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah, considering how big Smash and Pokemon are respectively, having a reveal so close to Isle of Armor's release means cannibalization one way or another.
Yeah it does. On one hand, Smash is just a lot more established with DLC and caters to several audiences due to the easy gameplay and the crossover aspect while on the other Pokemon has never done DLC before but is quite a bit bigger than Smash.
Yeah, that's fair enough. Still beats waiting for :ultjoker: in any regard (and it's still in June).

The only thing that's a dome-scratcher right now is the supposed June 16th leak.
Waiting for 6 months with the only info we had was the name and their back was painful.
I had a thought. There's nothing concrete on this, it's pure speculation and I don't think I'd want it (not that it'll stop the walls of text telling me how dumb I am for suggesting it anyway) but, what if the character was a different ARMS character on each costume?

It would be a bit tricky given how out there the body types of ARMS characters can get.
Maybe it'd be a custom character thing like Miis? I don't know whether they'd work like Koopalings

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Provided they got enough time for it and don't need to go through selection criteria that's too rigorous, it could happen. They would simply go for whomever are relatively small enough, with minor alterations at best.

Also, I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up at least a dozen times already.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Provided they got enough time for it and don't need to go through selection criteria that's too rigorous, it could happen. They would simply go for whomever are relatively small enough, with minor alterations at best.

Also, I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up at least a dozen times already.
I think they meant all of them.

Top Bottom