• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Has anybody made any speculation as to what changes might be made to the characters? Sakurai did basically say he was starting from scratch for each character. That means the movesets in Brawl will be different than they were for Melee. Maybe instead of throwing a boomerang, Link might blind you with his Mirror Shield... Okay, yeah, that won't happen, but it's just an illustration. I don't think the main things like Mario's fireball will be replaced, but other things might, like instead of the cape, he'd knock you up with a raccoon tail... Again, illustration.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
WaLuigi911 said:
Has anybody made any speculation as to what changes might be made to the characters? Sakurai did basically say he was starting from scratch for each character. That means the movesets in Brawl will be different than they were for Melee. Maybe instead of throwing a boomerang, Link might blind you with his Mirror Shield... Okay, yeah, that won't happen, but it's just an illustration. I don't think the main things like Mario's fireball will be replaced, but other things might, like instead of the cape, he'd knock you up with a raccoon tail... Again, illustration.
All we can go on is the interviews and the trailer. From what we've seen the normal characters are the same, but only different graphically.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Holy crap and another vet returns! :p

I'm thinking Gale Boomerang from Twilight Princess for Link at the very least. I'd assume some of his other moves will be adapted from Twilight Princess as well, considering his look was.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Wow, you remember me, McFox. Thanks. And stop quoting my signature... j/k I agree with ya on that one, though I haven't read anything on Twilight Princess (want to be spoiler-free happy and squeal like a giddy schoolgirl when I play it).

Then again, who says they won't make up new ones? Mario's Cape move was made up, and so was the Mario Tornado... unless Super Mario 64 came out first... I can't remember. I'm having a difficult time trying to think what new moves they could possibly conceive.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Agreed, Mario's Cape was new. Super Smash Bros 64 was out first iof that;'s what you're asking and it did have the Mario and Luigi Tornado moves in it. Due to the addition of smash B's in SSBM they had to come up with a lot of new moves.

Who knows what we will see in SSBB.....

nomis

Smash Journeyman
SM64 came out on release day, SSB64 didn't.

Anyway, one thing I see is updated animations (duh):
Falcon Punch would engulf him and his opponent fully in flames.
Link's bombs/boomerang/bow & arrow.
Peach's Toad being covered in blood after using him to deflect a move.

And maybe scrapping moves. Who knows, maybe they'll take useless/crappy moves out of the game. Like Shiek's down+B, Samus' clothes, and Pichu.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see some stuff from the games that have come out between melee and brawl.

I wanna see Fox/Falco get some stuff from Adventures/Assault, Peach get some stuff from Super Princess Peach, and Donkey Kong should get some Konga-related stuff.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Alot of moves will return, such as Link's dair, its a trademark move and wont go anywhere but stuff like his fair's and bair's and nair's are likely to change, not to mention smashes, Link's changed from a single hit in Super Smash Bros. 64 to a 2 swipes sword slash in Melee. Alot of the moves in the trailer are likely to just be there for the sake of a trailer being made, changes are gonna happen after that and some moves will be removed and some will remain. I tihnk its unlikely old moves are gonna get a new appearence and thats it, theyd just use the old animation and polish it a bit (more fluid, fit new models etc.)
As much as i love to speculate i know its all worthless especially at this point where this is the first real look weve got, and even so it says under the movie on the official site that some more graphic work is going to be done.
Just gonna have to sit tight and wait for the dev's to throw the slavering masses some more meat.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I dont know why, but i feel compelled to say at this point that Cheese and Bacon quiche is rather quite nice :|

Sonix

Smash Rookie
i wonder what metaknight's specail is and could he possibly be able do call his halbert to fire like fox and the Great Fox

Sporkman

Smash Ace
On that note Sonix, i did notice in the trailer that the flatforms are sitting infront of 3 rather large guns on the Halberd..

Sonix

Smash Rookie
i wonder if metaknight has fighter ships and his croneys come assist him in that stage
that would give him a big ***** advantage

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I doubt it. It'll probably work similar to the Great Fox level if they do decide to do that, where they level attacks everyone.

Having the level advantage Metaknight only wouldn't make any sense.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
yea, if they did that they'd have to do it for everyone else. But they shouldn't do it for anyone anyway. Then people will be like "No, you're [character] we can't do that level, you'll have a greater advantage because of [insert advantage scenario here]"

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
I know it's been confirmed that Wario will have some sort of fart attack that can build up over time, but is that the special power item or just a special trait (like Samus' transformation)? If its the latter, then the special could possibly be the Atomic Fart that we saw in the trailer... Though I realize that could be just theatrics simply for the trailer, it's still a possibility. I mean, what else could his special power be?

ROBERT2K95

Smash Apprentice
What do you think Snake will be useing in Brawl as a weapon?

A.Knife

B.Gun

I can't wait to use Zero Suit Samus. I always stick with Samus and Link as my favorite chacters.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Its been comfirmed that Snake will not use a gun in SSBB but he will has his cardborad box though. Although I don't think he will use a knife. Go to Gamespot.com for more information.

ROBERT2K95

Smash Apprentice
Da Man said:
Its been comfirmed that Snake will not use a gun in SSBB but he will has his cardborad box though. Although I don't think he will use a knife. Go to Gamespot.com for more information.
Oh, I thought he would use at least a knife.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Maybe not, did you read the interview? It's said that they didn't want snake to have any gun that's real enough to be accessible but he MAY have things like a rocket launcher or grenades. They even say he may use only explosives.

ROBERT2K95

Smash Apprentice
BloodBowler said:
Maybe not, did you read the interview? It's said that they didn't want snake to have any gun that's real enough to be accessible but he MAY have things like a rocket launcher or grenades. They even say he may use only explosives.
I don't think that there would be things like that because theres no guns.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
" What type of moves will Snake have? Special moves?
Sakurai: We thought a lot about what to do with Snake. He always walks around with a gun, I didn't want to bring guns and weaponry that people can get in the real world. But, I thought we could use things like rocket launchers and other explosives, that we can use in a comedic fashion. He may wind up only using explosives. He'll also use a cardboard box. "

Taken from an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto and Smash Bros. producer Masahiro Sakurai.

ROBERT2K95

Smash Apprentice
BloodBowler said:
" What type of moves will Snake have? Special moves?
Sakurai: We thought a lot about what to do with Snake. He always walks around with a gun, I didn't want to bring guns and weaponry that people can get in the real world. But, I thought we could use things like rocket launchers and other explosives, that we can use in a comedic fashion. He may wind up only using explosives. He'll also use a cardboard box. "

Taken from an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto and Smash Bros. producer Masahiro Sakurai.
Oh,maybe I did not read that part or I forgot it.

Sensai

Smash Master
Waluigi911 said:
....though I haven't read anything on Twilight Princess (want to be spoiler-free happy and squeal like a giddy schoolgirl when I play it)...
Same, haha. I'm so excited, and I have to beat my friends 'cause they'll try to talk about it.

And I don't see what's so unlikely about Snake using a knife.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Sensai said:
Same, haha. I'm so excited, and I have to beat my friends 'cause they'll try to talk about it.

lol Snakes grab move should be he grabs a chara but the neck and slices it. if he gets a knife it would proballybe like sheiks needles or something like it.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Da Man said:
I'm thinking the box will be his down b move and you have to hold b down then move.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
In Dreammix TV, Snake did a lot of martial arts/hand to hand combat. His specials were basically a C4 bomb and a rocket launcher. So I kind of expect that to be the case here. He's big, kinda slow, kicks and jabs, then tosses off bombs and rockets before hiding in his cardboard box :p

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamMix_TV:_World_Fighters

Dreammix TV was a knockoff of Smash Bros. that Sakurai, at least to my knowledge, had a little bit of input on. It was for Gamecube and PS2, and was a joint title between Hudson, Konami, and Takara.

It's notable because not only does it have people like Snake, Bomberman, Simon, Master Higgins, and the Moai from Gradius, BUT it also has Optimus Prime and Megatron from Takara. SCORE! :chuckle:

It plays almost dead on like Smash Bros., with less special attacks and not as much focus on knocking people off the arena: instead, you all have health meters that go down as you get hit, and if you get knocked down too low, you shrink to mini size and can be "squashed," KOing you. To make up for this, each time you get hit, or anybody does, they drop little hearts; these can be grabbed by anybody to replenish their health, making matches last a lot longer than they should.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamMix_TV:_World_Fighters

Dreammix TV was a knockoff of Smash Bros. that Sakurai, at least to my knowledge, had a little bit of input on. It was for Gamecube and PS2, and was a joint title between Hudson, Konami, and Takara.

It's notable because not only does it have people like Snake, Bomberman, Simon, Master Higgins, and the Moai from Gradius, BUT it also has Optimus Prime and Megatron from Takara. SCORE! :chuckle:

It plays almost dead on like Smash Bros., with less special attacks and not as much focus on knocking people off the arena: instead, you all have health meters that go down as you get hit, and if you get knocked down too low, you shrink to mini size and can be "squashed," KOing you. To make up for this, each time you get hit, or anybody does, they drop little hearts; these can be grabbed by anybody to replenish their health, making matches last a lot longer than they should.
Awsome sounds like fun. is there a english version or is it all ***?

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
Sensai said:

Seriously, because some of the characters freaking use guns and swords.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kurizu208 said:
Awsome sounds like fun. is there a english version or is it all ***?
No, ya gotta import it :/ Not a lot of Japanese text as far as I can tell from reading up about it, BUT a lot of the characters are Japan-only. Ever heard of Cool Girl Asuka, or Momotarou? Didn't think so :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom