• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
THK said:
That's the speculation yes. But along with no bar or any sort of build up, I saw no damage percentages, character symbols or stock icons. So by that logic, with all the sarcasm I can currently muster, THERE WON'T BE ANY OF THAT IN THE GAME! O_O!!!
In the trailer they probally didnt show them because the wanted to show you the visuals not stock images and damge counters. but at the charactewr pages at the officail site they show you the character symbols.

Sensai

Smash Master
THK said:
That's the speculation yes. But along with no bar or any sort of build up, I saw no damage percentages, character symbols or stock icons. So by that logic, with all the sarcasm I can currently muster, THERE WON'T BE ANY OF THAT IN THE GAME! O_O!!!
Exactly my point. Just because they HAPPEN to show Mario pick up that item doesn't mean a ****ed thing.

And to whomever asked if Pit/Meta would be able to fly...I sincerely doubt it. That would mean being able to stay up in the air indefinitely, leading to people who will play with them and just fly straight up.

A whole 'nother Luigi's Ladder.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Sensai said:
Exactly my point. Just because they HAPPEN to show Mario pick up that item doesn't mean a ****ed thing.

And to whomever asked if Pit/Meta would be able to fly...I sincerely doubt it. That would mean being able to stay up in the air indefinitely, leading to people who will play with them and just fly straight up.

A whole 'nother Luigi's Ladder.
well over here at smashbrawl.com (http://smashbrawl.com/gameinfo/) it says at the bottom that it infact is a item that starts suber move.

RevolutionMelee

Smash Rookie
Has anybody else noticed that all the new confirmed characters were trophies in Melee? If I am not mistaken, (please correct me if I am), I believe that Zero Suit Samus was a trophy for the Japanese version of the game? Well anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Close Revolution. Very close. Samus Unmasked was the trophy availible for all NTSC releases and if you get AR you can unlock them on any game. Even Pal. The trophy showed samus without her helmet on is all.

As for the trophies thing, there were nearly 300 trophies total (I think). Which depicted almost every main ( And some very non main ) Nintendo characters to date. I'm not including the stupidly obscure characters or Pokemon.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha... Luigi's ladder... I remember getting stuck up there for about 5 minutes. Oh and bumpers wait what cool!

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Scav said:
That blog is run by Smashboards. Not all of the information can be guaranteed to be accurate :p McFox is only human, after all.
true, but i belive the whole item thing. but hopefully you have to do a series of buttons for it to be powerful enough or whatever. (like in ffx) that way there is a chance you wont be dominated by it everytime.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
BloodBowler said:
Nice thought Kurizu, but do we want the games taken over by button combo's? This is Smash, fast paced, Kill or be killed Mayhem. FFX was turn based.
no we dont on the combo thing. i like the combo idea mixed with the item or the item its self rather then the gage idea.

Sensai

Smash Master
Kurizu208 said:
true, but i belive the whole item thing. but hopefully you have to do a series of buttons for it to be powerful enough or whatever. (like in ffx) that way there is a chance you wont be dominated by it everytime.
FFX, that's exactly everyone's fear.

(Quick unrelated question: the good rep you recieve is green, and the bad is blue, right?)

Pk Samus

Smash Apprentice
ChRed2AKrisp said:
probably.

hopefully no space will be wasted on jiggle mechanics. that would be ********.

As for snake, he doesn't fit because he's realistic. All the other characters are cartoony/anime or w/e. Also, he's froma game that involves a lot of sneaking and slow movement. It'll be strange to be sliding all over the place and double jumping with Snake, it won't feel right.

On the otherhand , cardboard box sheild ftw!

Meta knight has seems to be pretty broken actually, 5 jumps and he has multi hit standard attacks in midair, that seem pretty unavoidable. Dunno how the lightsaber thing for samus will work.
It is a Light whip not a saber ;) u can see it in slow motions, those weren´t Jedi moves, she was swinging her whip

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if Wario will be a fast-faller. He is fat, but he looks like he could just... float in midair forever, like Kirby...

Sensai

Smash Master
Baron_54 said:
I wonder if Wario will be a fast-faller. He is fat, but he looks like he could just... float in midair forever, like Kirby...
Haha, I'm assuming this is a joke?

'Cause there's no way.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Apparently Pit isn't just going to rely on those stupid blades. Thank GOD. It's a great idea, but it wasn't in Kid Icarus, and therefore it PHAILS if it's the basis of his entire moveset ;) If anything, I think we should expect either his Smash B or Forward Smash A to be the hammer, his B to be the Light Arrows, and I really wanna throw my money behind his Down B being the Crystals he had in Kid Icarus, that guarded him from damage. It would work similar to PSI Magnet, but instead of healing Pit, the energy he absorbs makes the crystals grow stronger, so if anybody touches them, they are hit for more damage. I guess they could break after a certain point of taking too much damage, to avoid cheapness.

Meta Knight needs to throw tornadoes like Super Star. 'nuff said.

Wario better not just fart and pick his nose. I really hope they acknowledge the OLD Wario, back when he was a psychotic, greedy jerk, who could piledrive the snot out of anybody who got in his way ;) So here's hoping for his other specials beyond the "Wario Waft" to reference the Wario that I grew up with. (Note: Is it just me, or does anyone else think they went with the Wario Ware Wario to avoid adding Waluigi, and to keep him from being considered a Mario character?)

Snake will probably have the crate for a Down B. Something where he can crawl around slowly, and avoid damage/get low for a while, but can't really jump or do much else. I say a rocket launcher, C4s, and some sort of sleeper hold grab for his other specials. Regardless of what Sakurai said, him having guns wouldn't be that fun anyways. Let's be honest here :p Besides: those are basically the attacks he did in Dreammix TV

Zero Samus I still don't like being just another form for Samus. It won't replace her specials; probably IS just a Smash Emblem Special after-effect, which is really lame. He said under certain conditions, which to me at first sounded like "In Metroid games under certain conditions," but he just had to add that "not a pure character" bit :urg: You could argue that what he meant was "Oh, yeah, she's still Samus, so it's a not a 'new character'", but I doubt it at this stage. So who knows how we get good ol' Zero Mission style Samus

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
Apparently Pit isn't just going to rely on those stupid blades. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Care to cite your source? Nothing I've seen indicates that the dual blades will not be his main weapons.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
For Pit:

the SmashDojo official site says under Pit's description that he will be able to convert from the bow to his two swords at will. Do you think this indicates a Zelda/Shiek like stance switch or just a misleading way of telling us that some moves will use his swords, and others will use his bow?

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Paranoid_Android said:
For Pit:

the SmashDojo official site says under Pit's description that he will be able to convert from the bow to his two swords at will. Do you think this indicates a Zelda/Shiek like stance switch or just a misleading way of telling us that some moves will use his swords, and others will use his bow?
That's kinda interesting, my money would be on the B button using the bow and the A button using the swords. I imagine a bow would have far too much lag to be used as anything but a B/Supermove.

Sensai

Smash Master
BloodBowler said:
That's kinda interesting, my money would be on the B button using the bow and the A button using the swords. I imagine a bow would have far too much lag to be used as anything but a B/Supermove.
Or possibly hitting the B button seperates the bow into swords, and the other way around too.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I wonder if his bow moves could be so fast and useful that he could do without seperating his blades for most of the battle (keep in mind, when it's in "bow" or conjoined form, he still hit people with it). Could we start seeing projectiles as less of an edgeguard or a stun and more of a physical move used for both long and short range? I wouldn't be surprised if put functioned almost like Legolas from the LoTR movies ;)

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
on smashbros.com, the character section area shows all the characters icon u can click on....but not snakes....also there is 5 slot whith a "?" mark over it...is it him? or no?

Sensai

Smash Master
The Great Marth said:
on smashbros.com, the character section area shows all the characters icon u can click on....but not snakes....also there is 5 slot whith a "?" mark over it...is it him? or no?
Dot dot dot.

You're joking, right? It's obviously gonna be him. I mean, that's all that's been announced, so who else would it be?

I doubt Nintendo would be like 'Jeah, we announced Snake...but here's SONIC!'

....nah, not happening.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
There seems to be alot of debate of whether that stage is either Battlefield or Pit's Arena.
It's quite obviously battlefield, as someone pointed out theres the energy ball beneath the arena, also in the trailer theres energy lines running through the floor. And how has nobody picked up on the background being virtually the same to that Final Destination often whipped to in Melee? Battlefield and Final Destination go hand in hand. The stage is incredibly flat, with they only thing setting apart from stages like Fountain of Dreams being the edges, which are incredibly similar to that of Battlefield. Battlefield is never gonna be a characters stage, as nearly all character stages require that something extra to make them 'special' (i.e in Fountain of Dreams the platforms when up and down depending whether the fountain was shooting or not ... cue dodgy sex inuendos). As for the pillars, i can only see one that looks 'greek' the others look quite plain and reminiscent of your average pillar.

Ive never played the Kid Icarus games but seeing as Pit looks like some sort of angel, i assume his level will be all cloudy ... like some kind of ikea heaven.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Yeah but like i said they all had that something extra, Battlefield never had that, it was just Final Destination with platforms basically.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus games had a lot of classical Greek architecture, and Pit's an angel, but what a lot of people don't realize is that games were really really weird. The first level is the Underworld (Hell), you jump around swampy platforms fighting flying eyes and snakes. And the bonus rooms sometimes contained flying noses with mustaches, called Flecks. The Overworld was mostly a desert, and the Sky World was just a bunch of clouds. The Sky Palace is the most Greek area in the game, with naked goddess statues included :p

If Pit gets a level, and I'm going to say he gets two actually, we'll most likely see: Sky Palace, which will be similar to Hyrule Temple on a smaller scale, with the Kid Icarus Anthem and Sky Palace themes remixed together. It would be really cool to see Centurions as well, statues of soldiers that if you break them they come to life and attack the opponent :chuckle: I can also see the Underworld as a stage, which will look similar in concept to Brinstar, but with the obvious Kid Icarus touch. I would expect that to have the Underworld music and maybe the Dungeon music as an alternate, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed in Shemums (snakes) that fall from floating pots, or even the Eggplant Wizard. Eggplant Wizard Wand as an item FTW! ;)

Btw, what kinda music do you guys expect the Halberd stage to have? There's that cool track from Superstar "Kirby Arrives on the Scene" they could play, but it would be weird for fight music. They could also do the Boss music, or the Battle with Meta Knight music (which is also weird for a Smash Bros. fight).

Sensai

Smash Master
It seems that most of the neutral stages are the same thing, except, like you said, that one little tidbit that makes it unique.

I don't think that a 'character Battlefield' is that unthinkinable.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Sensai said:
It seems that most of the neutral stages are the same thing, except, like you said, that one little tidbit that makes it unique.

I don't think that a 'character Battlefield' is that unthinkinable.
Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Dreamland64, Fountain Of Dreams: All "character battlefields".

Sensai

Smash Master
Sensai said:
I meant a non-unique battlefield...like, oh, say, Battlefield.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Keep in mind, that is almost definitely not the final build of the level. In the E3 2001 video, several stages appeared that never appeared in Melee, or were extremely altered from the trailer.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^^

Ha, neat. I feel so nostalgic now.

And just google Brawl, to whomever wants the vid. I assume it's everywhere.

Odendaalrust

Smash Apprentice
Don't they have enough money and time to just make as many as 100 playable characters atleast? :-D It would be rather interesting. All fzerox characters...custom robo..................freakin all the humanoid pokemon including Scizor, hitmonchan, machamp, mew, the list goes on......It gets me riled up just thinking how cool it would be if they did that....then i get depressed knowing they wouldn't...

/cry

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Odendaalrust said:
Don't they have enough money and time to just make as many as 100 playable characters atleast? :-D It would be rather interesting. All fzerox characters...custom robo..................freakin all the humanoid pokemon including Scizor, hitmonchan, machamp, mew, the list goes on......It gets me riled up just thinking how cool it would be if they did that....then i get depressed knowing they wouldn't...

/cry
Programming a game takes longer than one might think. Plus they have deadlines to meet. Plus If they created each and every character imaginable then there'd be almost no need for any more of the games, the series would die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom