• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Sonic Impressions Post-Release

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
I guess im in the same boat as infzy, I was a marth main at one point Lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic Boards is like a cult.

:093:

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
Anyone else think Sonic Boom/ Sonic Toon Sonic should have been a costume for Sonic??

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i wouldn't minded if that were an alt. My issue with boom sonic in the actual games is the fact that he is so stupidly tall.

Though personally i wish they had included SA2 soap shoes sonic as an alt.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Apex 2015! Let's go! All Sonic mains must go! All out Smash! Fight for the top! Lol. Jk.
I just want to play and have fun and place at the top. But in all honesty I just hope Doubles stays a thing in SM4SH. Cause if no one does doubles I would be sad and would probably not play as much.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think kinzer was saying.

I hope you guys are nicer to other new players that come here than you are to m2k.

Which is a non issue because a. Were hella nice, and b. M2k didnt comenhere for help

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Apex 2015! Let's go! All Sonic mains must go! All out Smash! Fight for the top! Lol. Jk.
I just want to play and have fun and place at the top. But in all honesty I just hope Doubles stays a thing in SM4SH. Cause if no one does doubles I would be sad and would probably not play as much.
We must go on a winning steak.

Doubles is good... I miss low tiers though.
I think kinzer was saying.

I hope you guys are nicer to other new players that come here than you are to m2k.

Which is a non issue because a. Were hella nice, and b. M2k didnt comenhere for help
Word.

Cult.

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else think Sonic Boom/ Sonic Toon Sonic should have been a costume for Sonic??
I don't think it would be a very wise decision to include the Sonic Boom Sonic just yet. Not only is the game/show not even out yet, but weren't those updated redesigns created primarily for the US Market?
If those designs don't mean as much to the primarily Japanese developers of Smash 4, then they would most certainly be low priority.

As easy as it would be to just shove a scarf and slap some tape on the ol' hog's design, it just doesn't feel like a move they would make anyway. Sonic didn't even get any interesting recolors this time.

One quick romp through DeviantART would have probably served them well for some recolor ideas though.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The show looks really promising.

That's about the extent of my opinion.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I wish the whole sonic Boom initiative was just for the show and not a game tie in imo. Like to me Sonic Boom feels like the hyrule warriors of sonic games done wrong, where they are trying to design a sonic game to play like a jax and daxter game when that games playstyle just doesn't mesh well.

But back on topic as far as sonic in smash 4 goes i'll be attending the Nintendo tournament in Dedham MA this Saturday and will be labbing it up all day Friday so i'll try to keep people updated as i find stuff out just to further backup other claims of current sonic tech we know about being in smash 4.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Same here, and been wondering about the better uses of the custom moves as well. Gonna lab with those more, because I had some theories but none I could tests cause I didn't have a second Japanese 3DS to test with. lol.
But so far my custom moves are probably going to use the Implanting Side B to make sure I get kills from people. But heck, items will be on so maybe I won't need it lol.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
From what i read custom moves are only allowed during the 16 person tourney at the Nintendo World store. Unless those rules also apply to the locals. Though as far as customs i might run probably the fire spin dash and quick homing attack. I really want to use the bounce attack but i wish it were one of his down B customs instead.

True Blue

Smash Lord
You right. Oh well, time to find a character I can cheese people out and secure kills with. Maybe I will do what Larry did at ComicCon and choose Bowser. Until I have to get in a fight with someone I know. lol.
This randomness is what is gonna kill me cause of the points. Someone is gonna get jabbed by someone random and fall off and gain a point and then I will kill someone and they will fly past someone as they throw out a weak hit box and steal my point.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Last edited:

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
So reading a lot of threads, almost everybody is clamoring on how they're character is better in this game that brawl. Including this thread and others, and I can't just help and roll my eyes at some of the stuff I've read.

At the end of the day if sonic doesn't have more kill power that's going to hurt him the most. How is bair better than brawl's bair? Unless it has significantly more kill power it's not, doesn't it have lag now?

Apart from a better homing attack I don't see much difference between this sonic and brawl sonic except he is playing and slightly different mechanics.

Unless they introduce a movement option out of run, or sonic has some "guaranteed" kills like at certain %, maybe he can up throw to spring to uair conisistently, we're back at square 1.

Hit and running and having to take risks especially against zoners etc. Etc. #sonicmainproblems lmao.

Hopefully in some way shape or form he's noticeably better, I just don't see it, granted, and this is where I'm knee jerking, I haven't seen much. If anybody could break down how he's actually significantly better pls do.

True Blue

Smash Lord
I'm the Truest and Bluest, Jazz Ain't Got Nothing on Me. lol.
I think I had that problem on AllisBrawl as well. lol.
I got online and saw someone else with TrueBlue just without the space and everyone mistook them for me and then they changed there name when they noticed. lol

As for the Sonic kills and stuff well Up Smash Kills. Been doing that a lot. Forward and Back throw kills and Homing attack Kills. Even though he can't kill early he has a lot more moves than CAN kill now without relying on two moves. And a Down Air that spikes or kills upwards as well.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
As for the Sonic kills and stuff well Up Smash Kills. Been doing that a lot. Forward and Back throw kills and Homing attack Kills. Even though he can't kill early he has a lot more moves than CAN kill now without relying on two moves. And a Down Air that spikes or kills upwards as well.
Wow, those moves kill? That IS an improvement then. At around what % tho? 200% and above for all of then except up smash? 180% if you'reon the edge?

Regardless you're right, if those moves kill even if it's at reasonably late %s it's better than brawl.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wait, you never tried KOing vertically with dair in Brawl True.
C'mon man, outside the box. :applejack:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Up Smash apparently starts killing fresh at 80.

People wondered where Fox's Up Smash went inbetween Brawl and 4. I think we found it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
And it actually keeps people in the hitboxes now.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Myan Espy, I use to always do that in South Florida. But people caught on so they would recover SUPER low so I could never get the vertical Hitbox anymore. lol.
But yea, I always liked Dair-ing people off stage. It was like, "Here is my size 10 sneakers in yo face!"

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Would you guys say Sonic has an advantage against Lucina?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well if it's anything like the Sonic vs. Marth match-up I'd imagine it's not an issue.

Should be getting the game later tonight though… hypehypehype

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Well if it's anything like the Sonic vs. Marth match-up I'd imagine it's not an issue.

Should be getting the game later tonight though… hypehypehype

Yup. I will too. Get hype!

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
the hype is real.

Last edited:

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
Sonic is definitely way better. He can still rack up damage but he has way more kill potential. Usmash is great, and his dair has better kill potential too even though it does have a slightly longer start-up time.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
I like how the hitbox in his bair is pretty janky

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Bair is going to take some getting used to.

Otherwise, I'm having fun spinballing people in For-Glory mode. The few people I do get who can adapt to it are interesting. The ones who can give me a challenge are exhilarating!

Little Mac and Bowser are going to be unorthodox matchups, I'll tell you that much. Bowser is especially strong this time around...

... Someday, I hope we can get a matchup discussion thread. I'd really like to share some ideas.

Top Bottom