• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Sonic Impressions Post-Release

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

True Blue

Smash Lord
All the Little Macs I play against I just don't play them on stage. I gotta give them the respect that they beat out a lot of things on the ground. So I just throw them off stage and Homing attack them and then leave a spring. And that usually closes the distance preventing them from recovering.
But that is cause I don't want to deal with them on stage as I stated before lol.
And yea... Bowser... Definitely have to get use to not facerolling through them... Make on mis input and I am done. Even worse cause it is longer for us to kill Bowser and Rage will kick in.

Edit: Wish the hidden MMR would kick in cause I need to find people who are good. Played about 50 games so far and haven't lost yet. InB4 I jinx myself. lol.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic definitely feels improved, but to me it seems he still suffers from similar problems in match-ups.

Which is to be expected, since characters are for the most part fundamentally the same. Not having bair as a spammable spacing tool is frustrating. Sonic rocks the vertical approach though. Uair is godlike and Usmash is one of his best KO options right now imo.

:093:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
I haven't faced a bowser yet but against little mac I just to bait dash attacks and play that patient game. I haven't face a good little mac though, so I dont know how legit that tactic is lol

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
As of now I'm at 110/9 on For Glory mode and I only use Sonic on that mode.

Back throw is his best kill move imo.

I've faced a few Boswers and I've lost to none of them. Bowser may hit hard but a lot of his moves are easy for Sonic to punish. He's also very big so it's easier to link attacks out of Spin Dash launches on him. Boswer can be killed with a Back Throw like around 150% if close to the edge. His Forward Throw can kill Bowser around 200%. The only think I fear from bowser is his koopa claw cause like in Brawl he can scoop you out of your spins.

Honestly the hardest MU I am having right now is ZSS. She's fast, got range, stun and just hard to punish. This is all online experiences though so it may change in the tournament scene.

A good Little Mac can be annoying. You just have to rely heavily on baiting him out. He can't recover well but if he is in range he can combine his Double Jump with his counter to punish your early gimp attempts so watch out for that.

That's all I got for now.

Last edited:

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
Back throw is definitely beast this time around. The best strategy to beat little mac is throw him off stage and go for a quick fair to push him farther back. The whole key to battling him is his terrible recover

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
I think i should disown myself as a sonic main because i only won 5 out of 40 games :c.

but yet he's so fun to play as :c.

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think i should disown myself as a sonic main because i only won 5 out of 40 games :c.

but yet he's so fun to play as :c.
If out of those 5 games you played Sonic and the other 35 you played some horribad character; you're fine.

If it was someone like Bowser or another inherent powerhouse you played against; try not to beat yourself up too hard about it. Especially on Wi-Fi, those matchups I; and, perhaps a few others in the community, will be troublesome.

Otherwise, yeah. I recommend you go play Sudoku or something.

Last edited:

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
If out of those 5 games you played Sonic and the other 35 you played some horribad character; you're fine.

If it was someone like Bowser or another inherent powerhouse you played against; try not to beat yourself up too hard about it. Especially on Wi-Fi, those matchups I; and, perhaps a few others in the community, will be troublesome.

Otherwise, yeah. I recommend you go play Sudoku or something.
Is link a bad match-up for sonic? because I've been getting beat by him most of the time, if not then i should just stop playing smash lol

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I couldn't tell you. I haven't played against a Zelda character yet.

Hell, I'm still wondering myself if Link's recovery is bootycheeks still or if it got ever so slightly improved.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I couldn't tell you. I haven't played against a Zelda character yet.

Hell, I'm still wondering myself if Link's recovery is bootycheeks still or if it got ever so slightly improved.
They improved both his shorthop height and his regular jump height.
They increased both the vertical and horizontal recovery of his Up B.
He cannot be damaged by bomb detonations on the opponent, letting him set up combos more easily.
His Dair spikes at the start of it.
All of his aerials except Dair seem to have less landing frames.
HIs dash attack is slower but can kill.
HIs Forward tilt can kill.
His Fsmash can kill with the first hit tipped I think.
His bow is faster.

When you consider custom moves his boomerang becomes so much better.

Link is pretty deadly now, and with the ledgehog removal he's even better.
Oh and his grappling hook has a ton of range on it. I had a CPU snag the ledge on battefield from above the the double platform's height.

Captain falcon is also pretty disgusting too since he has a large amount of kill moves.
Zelda sucks IMO.
Ganondorf is faster...

My issue with Sonic is im having problems with buffering his Uair ~>Uair combos.
If I land the first and need to double jump into another Uair, the timing feels pretty tight.

One thing I noticed, his side B can hit both when it rises and falls, and it only fails to do that on tiny characters lke Olimar.
Great shield pressure.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
All the Bowsers I play are offline and they space and punish accordingly. So for me it is a respectable matchup, or at least not a matchup to not take lightly. Same with Ganon, but that is cause my training partner is a Ganon player.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
When it comes to sonics match ups you gotta watch out for characters with disjointed hitboxes and good follow up games.

Sonics hitboxes are all himself meaning that if you attack a disjointed hitbox you will lose. Follow ups are good against sonic on blocked or whiffed spin dashes.

Ness and villager are some good examples of a tough matchup.

Lucario is a very uphill battle.

It's not that sonic can't win it's just you have to play very safe and take low risks. Mind games and good punishes are key.

It's important to learn all if sonics ATs for maximum mind game and surprise.

I was a sonic main in brawl.

Last edited:

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
When it comes to sonics match ups you gotta watch out for characters with disjointed hitboxes and good follow up games.

Sonics hitboxes are all himself meaning that if you attack a disjointed hitbox you will lose. Follow ups are good against sonic on blocked or whiffed spin dashes.

Ness and villager are some good examples of a tough matchup.

Lucario is a very uphill battle.

It's not that sonic can't win it's just you have to play very safe and take low risks. Mind games and good punishes are key.

It's important to learn all if sonics ATs for maximum mind game and surprise.

I was a sonic main in brawl.
This might turn out as a stupid question but how do you know when a character has a disjointed hitbox?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This might turn out as a stupid question but how do you know when a character has a disjointed hitbox?
A disjoint is essentially a hitbox that's disconnected from the hurtbox.

Example would be something like Marth's sword, or Lucario's Aura. There are also less obvious examples, like Sonic's bair in Brawl having a hitbox underneath his leg that's completely unattached to any part of him (I don't think this is in Sm4sh though...) Better example would be Snake's Ftilt and Utilt in Brawl. His leg is nowhere near you, yet you're getting trashed.

Disjoints are ideal, considering your extending range without asserting more of your hurtbox in the fray. They're generally safer, but you still have to account for things like cooldown and shieldstun to be truly safe.

Last edited:

PsychoSy

Smash Cadet
A disjoint is essentially a hitbox that's disconnected from the hurtbox.

Example would be something like Marth's sword, or Lucario's Aura. There are also less obvious examples, like Sonic's bair in Brawl having a hitbox underneath his leg that's completely unattached to any part of him (I don't think this is in Sm4sh though...) Better example would be Snake's Ftilt and Utilt in Brawl. His leg is nowhere near you, yet you're getting trashed.

Disjoints are ideal, considering your extending range without asserting more of your hurtbox in the fray. They're generally safer, but you still have to account for things like cooldown and shieldstun to be truly safe.

Ah ok, i have to take a note of this to remember but Is link also an example of disjointed hitboxes, just curious?

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ah ok, i have to take a note of to this remember but Is link also an example of disjointed hitboxes, just curious?
Link's sword and armaments aren't a part of him. If you manage to hit them, you won't be sending Link flying.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
the work to win is definitely harder imo. A lot of his moves really were relatively safe are a bit more unsafe....also how exactly do you deal with wii fit trainer?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My friend mains Wii Fit Trainer. Her projectile game is pretty unsafe and her recovery isn't that great, so exert pressure there.

You have to show some respect though to her ground game. Jabs and stuff have weird hitboxes that often hit behind her and **** like that. Learn to recognize those moves (her fair has a hitbox that spikes behind her on her toe wtf)

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Is Sonic's up-air any different in SSB4?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It has a new animation and sound effect. It's more of a clap. Has a lot more knockback and combos into itself more easily. Spring > Uair is a more consistent KO option.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
It has a new animation and sound effect. It's more of a clap. Has a lot more knockback and combos into itself more easily. Spring > Uair is a more consistent KO option.

Oh okay.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My friend mains Wii Fit Trainer. Her projectile game is pretty unsafe and her recovery isn't that great, so exert pressure there.

You have to show some respect though to her ground game. Jabs and stuff have weird hitboxes that often hit behind her and **** like that. Learn to recognize those moves (her fair has a hitbox that spikes behind her on her toe wtf)

:4wiifit: is pretty weird.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
:4wiifit: is pretty weird.
Yeah, she oddly fairs pretty well against Sonic. idk if it's in anyone's favor as it feels like an even enough match-up, as long as you know what you have to respect and what else to capitalize on.

True Blue

Smash Lord
So just had a 45 man SM4SH tourney. Was pretty hype and fun. Got Second in my area but lost to Nick Riddle. I am like a deer in the headlights now when I see that new Bouncing Fish of ZSS' new Down B angle. LOL. But it is whatevers. Gotta learn and figure it out and react. (Same thing happens to me when Charizards use Side B. LOL)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Instead of being the roadkill, you should be the one driving the car.

I believe in you!

Edit: Wait, WTF why aren't spoilers in black highlight text anymore this is dumb. ;_;

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Lol, that picture. But Sonic doesn't need a car. Guess it is back to Sonic and SEGA Racing.

Though I had finally reacted once to Charizards Side B and ran with him until he stopped to just Forward Smash him. Lol.
Was a funny match.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
So, Sonic's u-smash is unsafe on grounded opponents. Holding down will get you out of it before the last hit lands. Though I do not know how long until they can react out of it after breaking free. It puts them into a similar animation when Sonic whiffs homing attack and doesn't bounce off the ground. This part does need tested. Hopefully we can react before the opponent does. It seems safe in the air still though. Also becomes less reliable to break out of at higher percents it seems. Very minimal testing against a buddy playing as Bowser. I assume if Bowser can get out of it, every character can.

Edit: Also, this happened tonight.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I freaking love Sonic's bair. You toss someone off the stage with a throw, go and bair them, they're done. I wouldn't usually use his bair but I'm finding it really good this game.

Top Bottom