• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Sonic Impressions Post-Release

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Yea i do agree with you on that i like how he is getting some respect, but i feel like with that will come a whole lot of stigma because M2K and others stated he was "top tier" thus peoples opinions of the character are already predefined even before those who actually mained him and poured years into him get a chance to play. It's why i hate how people are trying to make tier lists and judge the cast when there are so few people playing.

I'm definitely going to strive to make sonic accessible for new player to learn once i get my hands on the game. I'l probably do my own sonic analysis (or just contribute to the one we have here in greater detail).

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Another reason people shouldn't make tier lists before the game has been out globally. I think there will be things that will turn people off Sonic. He has pretty big learning curve. Remember how we all used to spin dash off the stage without a jump or tried to recover with spin dash and rolled to our doom? Heck I still sometimes do it. I tried to teach some people how to play Sonic and they gave up when they kept dying by suicides.

Sonic will look great to people but I'm sure only the Sonic mains will stick with him competitively.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I tried real hard to "git gud" with Sonic in Brawl. And he DID have a few options to actually do the job, but even after many years of playing Sonic almost 3 times as much as whoever was 2nd place...he never became my best character.

Seeing Sonic in videos here.....doesn't really convince me. Yeah, some moves have slightly better mindgames and speed, but every other character got better as well. And it's not like Sonic hasn't received nerfs. Sonic once again, like in Brawl, "may have potential". That's the most I can say for now untill I get my hands on that speedy rat.

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
And the fact that he can still be cipher grabbed and people might be bad with recoverying or the occasional, I accidentally B-reversed Up B and Down Aired off stage. lol. Or now in this game, I wiffed Homing Attack and now I am plummeting to my doom. lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And the fact that he can still be cipher grabbed and people might be bad with recoverying
Except there's really no excuse this time around. Spring Jump snaps to the ledge now; and, with the new ledge mechanic Sakurai introduced: the first rule of fur-******ry no longer applies and you can now recover.

No, I'm serious. Given the ideal situation, you can time the Spring Jump to reach just above the ledge. This way, you can recover above if the ledge is occupied, snap to the ledge if it isn't. Unless Sonic got fatter or if gravity got increased since Brawl, the only time you should be dying is if you were going to get killed anyway. Getting gimped will be a thing of the past. <3

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The cypher grab is far less of an issue now that we can sweetspot the ledge.

wow kinzer posted right as i was about to post it **** it oh well still posting it

:093:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Cypher grabbing may be gone....or is it?

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
Warning Received
The great Mew2King?? To play as Sonic??? :150: Cool.

Anyone want to exchange friend codes so we can play Smash 3DS at launch??

And everyone leaves... :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
According to Zero, M2K plans to main Sonic...
I think D1 also said the same thing.
Hello and goodbye sonic forum. Nice knowing you for a minute but I think this is the best choice for me.

Sarcasm aside, I really think it's interesting why they made the swap to Sonic all the sudden. It's a bit odd, but then again it is M2K and D1 we're talking about.

:mewtwopm:<3 :4sonic:
:mewtwopm:</3:4sheik:...

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Hello and goodbye sonic forum. Nice knowing you for a minute but I think this is the best choice for me.

Sarcasm aside, I really think it's interesting why they made the swap to Sonic all the sudden. It's a bit odd, but then again it is M2K and D1 we're talking about.

:mewtwopm:<3 :4sonic:
:mewtwopm:</3:4sheik:...
nonono. You misunderstand. D1 SAID that M2K was maining sonic. :)

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
So... you guys want to join my tournament?? I really have no clue what to say right now.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Half the reason everyone including M2K are thinking sonic is OP is because no one know what to do vs him. and thats partially due to the fact that he went pretty underused and overlooked in Brawl. Kind of sad how a majority of people who imported the japanese version aren't people who used characters other than top tiers from brawl.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Half the reason everyone including M2K are thinking sonic is OP is because no one know what to do vs him. and thats partially due to the fact that he went pretty underused and overlooked in Brawl. Kind of sad how a majority of people who imported the japanese version aren't people who used characters other than top tiers from brawl.
Sonic was commonly overlooked in brawl, and many people were left in the dust about how sonic should spar off against others. So coming to the conclusion of him being powerful (combined with tier list confusion based on game balancing and preference) people are in a stir of where or which character to pick next.
Yesterday it was :4bowser:,:4zss:, and:4duckhunt:.
(JAPAN::4shulk:,:4littlemac:)
For top tier.

Now it's really warping on what fits your play style over the ability of the character itself.
:4pit::4darkpit: Double post note.
Please watch double posting!

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please avoid double posting everyone, and please try to add a bit more substance. Somethings that have been posted are borderline spam.

D

Deleted member 245254

I honestly don't think if M2K actually starts as trying to main Sonic that it will last very long, he may be a better character than he ever was but I do not see M2K being the one to properly handle Sonic's potential, he will probably grow annoyed of playing Sonic fairly quickly and go back to Sheik or Marth, or any of the other "go-to" characters right now in term of good first impressions.

Also I don't agree that Sonic seems "top tier". Sonic is fun and definitely a contender this time around, but there are other characters with much higher skill floors that I think he will end up moving to quickly. He has barely any experience with the game so...everything is just based on guess work to him at the moment.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I already don't like you, Mod.

And yeah, that's interesting. M2K will probably end up swapping once the stronger characters are fleshed out. Sonic's great in Smash 4, but his Brawl weaknesses sans KO power all seem to have stuck around. I doubt he'll stick with him.

M2K started with D3 in Brawl, and look where he ended up. :applejack:

D

Deleted member 245254

Gotta be honest, even an above average Sonic is pretty easy to read. It's simply that he has barely played the game.

Once he gets in to For Glory against the well practiced individuals and sees that Sonic takes a bit of a long haul to properly utilize, and that Sonic is more than lolspin-to-bair-dead it's very likely he'll move to the other characters that are showing much more immediate promise due to their ease of use and variety of options.

Either that or M2K becomes the next Sonic God.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
mew2king started with mewtwo and look where he ended up.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Having a non-Sonic fan as the best Sonic makes me sick. That won't happen. :applejack:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Woah, I didn't know that we could see other posts that get warnings.

... But back on topic, I hope you all are more newb-friendly than you are right now. I know M2K doesn't come off as such; but, Sonic isn't going to be an easy character to pick up. I hope for the sake of people whose first introduction to smash is going to be here; you'll be more willing to help them than the likes of M2K who probably won't want or need us.

D

Deleted member 245254

Woah, I didn't know that we could see other posts that get warnings.

... But back on topic, I hope you all are more newb-friendly than you are right now. I know M2K doesn't come off as such; but, Sonic isn't going to be an easy character to pick up. I hope for the sake of people whose first introduction to smash is going to be here; you'll be more willing to help them than the likes of M2K who probably won't want or need us.
Ummm...

If what you mean is that people are frequently unfriendly in their response to innocent ignorance to in-depth mechanics and what not, then yes, that does tend to happen a bit too often in the meta-discussion scene here on Smashboards, but that isn't exactly going on in this thread, so I'm not exactly sure what what you're trying to say.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Nah myan. Don't worry, I am a nice person and will accept everyone! Only issue is I may forget about SmashBoards since I tend to talk to people on Skype and Facebook more. lol

Espy is out for blood though. He is gonna kill all the Sonic players to gain power. lol juuuust kidding. Or am I?

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
My bets on Cobanermani456. Hes pretty good with Sonic in Project M. I've seen his livestreams with Sonic against M2K.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Lol m2k maining sonic, I don't see it lasting long but that's pretty cool

Top Bottom