• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Competitive Impressions: TBH5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Very close with San, but Lylat actually is one of Sonic's best stages. They seemed even, but the stage picks really gave the edge to Joe.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
NOOOO WHY LYLAT??
That damn stage disrupts spacing too much. If Seagull banned BF(he most likely did), I think SV would have been a better choice.
Good job regardless @san.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
NOOOO WHY LYLAT??
That damn stage disrupts spacing too much. If Seagull banned BF(he most likely did), I think SV would have been a better choice.
Good job regardless @san.
I would've preferred to see Dreamland.

I saw what San was going for after dealing with FD. Ike has really poor landing options, and he had no security on that stage. Lylat is one of the best stages to have comfortable landing options since all the platforms are level, but as I said before Lylat is one of Sonic's best stages.

Dreamland would've given him everything he needed, and Sonic would've had a more difficult time killing there as well. If Joe banned Dreamland as well then I would agree with SV.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I would've preferred to see Dreamland.

I saw what San was going for after dealing with FD. Ike has really poor landing options, and he had no security on that stage. Lylat is one of the best stages to have comfortable landing options since all the platforms are level, but as I said before Lylat is one of Sonic's best stages.

Dreamland would've given him everything he needed, and Sonic would've had a more difficult time killing there as well. If Joe banned Dreamland as well then I would agree with SV.
Oh, it's 2 bans per set, right? Is Miiverse allowed? lol
Karna :4sheik: eliminates Ryuga :4myfriends: 2-1
:(

Apeirohaon

Smash Apprentice
ANTi beat Ally, so now Ryo has to play Ally

edit: san's playing abadango and probably Megafox after that if he wins, I doubt any Ikes are going to get to R3 even

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Ally 2-1 over Ryo

which means if Zero beats Wizzy, we get Ally vs Zero in Losers Round 3 which is an insane thing to say

edit: put another way, the winner of Zero/Ally will still have to win 7 straight sets to win the tournament

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
All Ikes get 17th at TBH. I guess Ryo, Ryuga and San are just that equal in skill level.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, the 1st combo on FD by Abadango was pretty cool...
*Adds MK to potentially losing MU for Ike*

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All Ikes get 17th at TBH. I guess Ryo, Ryuga and San are just that equal in skill level.
Now, if there was a 4th, prominent Ike player, then Ike would probably have drowned in the first matches pools. Culturally, 4 means death in Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and I think Korean.

Megafox for some reason made me think he was playing 1.1.1 Fox with that Ftilt and jab shield pressure attempt. Didn't help when it looked like he was rushing for that kill with all those running Up Smashes.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Not gonna lie it looks like Ike really can't do much in the Meta Knight MU.

Other than die, of course.

ggs to @san. though. You did well, buddy.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Trela continues with a strong 3-0 vs Karna. Ryu looking as solid as ever. This will put him against the loser of Rayquaza & ANTi.

A bit of a shame about the Ikes, but they've still shown some solid performances.

It sounds like Ally VS ZeRo is going on stream; this will be one to watch.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It was 3-0, because apparently stuff is best of 5 now. And almost every kill came from Uptilt->Shoryuken. It is SO STRONG.

So, why do people always airdodge Sheik's Dthrow->Upair? What if they're, say, Mario, with a 3 frame Nair. Can't he throw it out, and at worst, trade with the Upair? The last hit is the only one that matters, so if you trade, you're safe. If Sheik opts to Vanish, there's a good chance you'll be able to fade out of range of it.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
It was 3-0, because apparently stuff is best of 5 now. And almost every kill came from Uptilt->Shoryuken. It is SO STRONG.

So, why do people always airdodge Sheik's Dthrow->Upair? What if they're, say, Mario, with a 3 frame Nair. Can't he throw it out, and at worst, trade with the Upair? The last hit is the only one that matters, so if you trade, you're safe. If Sheik opts to Vanish, there's a good chance you'll be able to fade out of range of it.
You can airdodge out of hitstun before you can attack out of it, which I assume is the main factor.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Only MK that rivals or surpass Abadango in punishing consistently is Leo.

May as well call him a top MK after he beat Triple R's Kirby and San's Ike by winning neutral 3-5 times max.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario's N-air can trade with Sheik if and only if Sheik doesn't space it correctly.

That said Ally had a terrible air dodge habit and needed to use his double jump more to escape it completely.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I don't know, but man, Ally lost a lot of stocks to that setup alone. He got certainly read with the air dodges and ZeRo capitalized on it.

Seagull VS Vinnie on stream now. Very interested to see how this goes; I'd like to see him get into top 8.

EDIT: RIP, Vinnie takes it 3-0. He's facing either Zenyou or Fatality in Loser's.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Dabuz 3-0 ESAM. ESAM played poorly game 1, but even when he picked up some momentum Dabuz was just walling him out. Furthermore, at CEO, the same thing happened save for ESAM's clutchness. I'm really beginning to question whether this MU really goes decisively to Pika. Seems like a highly-volatile even MU at the highest level of play.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Might be just me but for all the praise he gets Megafox isn't particularly impressive. He's good but not very good and I don't see him as better as some of the other competent Fox players like Dugan or Snow ...

:059:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
ZeRo vs ESAM on stream now.

This is the set to watch.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Might be just me but for all the praise he gets Megafox isn't particularly impressive. He's good but not very good and I don't see him as better as some of the other competent Fox players like Dugan or Snow ...

:059:
He's good, just mu inexperienced.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Game 2 clearly shows Pikachu's weaknesses.

He can't kill without Thunder set-ups/up smash
He can't land with aerials.
His range is pitiful.

Zero got super easy dash grabs because ESAM kept landing with aerials.

Edit: CHALLENGE QUICK ATTACK. PLS

Last edited:

Apeirohaon

Smash Apprentice
He's good, just mu inexperienced.
The reason I dislike it when people say this is because if you have matchup inexperience, that makes you not as good. So in my eyes you're basically saying "he's good except not that good in this aspect". It's like saying "he's good, just can't do any techs" in melee

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo vs ESAM SmashCon was still in my opinion the most hype set in Smash 4. Everyone else gets hype for each set ZeRo loses, like vs Vinnie or Seagull yesterday. But man, ZeRo vs ESAM is always godlike.

Holy ****, ZeRo is still in a tier of his own.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
HOLY ****!

Was that an actual string/combo? Cuz if it was, that's metagame advancement right there.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
OH MY GOD ZERO.

My god... That was a Melee tier combo holy ****. That ending was amazing. ZeRo is going to win this I can feel it.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I know this isn't a chatroom but...

Goodness gracious me oh my. That string by Zero was sexy.

Where on earth can you take Shiek?! Smashville you get potentionally faired off stage early, Battlefield you get consistent platform strings Final destination means you're constantly on the same verticals plane as Shiek

Radiant Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattiroquai
Sucks that all the Ike mains were just one spot away from breaking into Top 16. But at the same time, Ike making that far in a tournament of this caliber is pretty damn noteworthy. Going from probably bottom tier upon release to this?

We've come a long way. san, Ryo, and Ryouga all played amazingly. Good job you guys.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
People complaining about Sonic shutting people down with his speed when Mario does the same thing with his unholy fast aerials and airspeed.

Whoever thinks Mario isn't Top 5 is deluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom