• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Competitive Impressions: TBH5

Status
Not open for further replies.

accel

Smash Rookie
Wall of text:

I can't fault Nairo for the way he thinks and/or the decisions he has made, but people can't fault others for having issue with it. I'm not even going to pretend to be anywhere near his level of play in this franchise.

That aside, those were obvious throws, sandbags, or whatever else you want to call it in the first set. I see people saying they were strategic to prevent downloading/adaptation, but I find this weak reasoning. Zero Suit Samus (ZSS) is obviously his best and most viable character. Any habits or failure to adapt falls solely on his shoulders, and not on his character. Nairo coming in cold and ZeRo being warmed up is something else I see. It'd probably be a much better idea to warm up on your competitive tournament main. Not only that, but different characters means different matchups. Nairo's picking like he was Infiltration or Momochi. Too bad it didn't work out in his favor. He could've warmed up on a separate station like the Melee players. Not only that, but him watching ZeRo's previous sets is also data collection because he was comfortable waiting for his Grand Finals set. Throwing away matches gave ZeRo momentum and a mental reset he shouldn't have gotten. Poor strategy despite the supposed intent of a possible mind**** and the desire to win (in a "fair" way).

Additionally, ZeRo would never extend this "courtesy" of a free set to anyone else. He wants to win. Nairo didn't have to do what he did. People say ZeRo wasn't at his best. That shouldn't matter. He still entered as a competitor. Even if he was down in the dumps, he still made it to Grand Finals, which is impressive. It definitely was unsportsmanlike in the truest sense of competition and competitive spirit.

1. It kind of invalidates ZeRo's win. There's no telling how the rest of the matches could've went if Nairo went 100% from start to finish. Maybe people don't look at it this way. If I was in ZeRo's situation, I'd personally be pissed. It's like the "bro stock." If I SD, let me be punished for my foolish mistake and sub-optimal play. I'm in Loser's because I was outplayed. Now my tournament win comes into question. Thanks, bro. Unless the win, title and money was all you cared about, this is definitely an issue of sportsmanship and under-performing. ZeRo worked hard through bracket so this "even ground" BS invalidates that hard work. ZeRo's tourney win would've been all the more impressive if he took two full sets from a 100% Nairo.

2. It spites the people that Nairo beat on Winner's side. "You sent me to the killer's bracket to just throw away your winner's set (and subsequently only take second place)? Should've thrown away your Winner's bracket to me because I definitely would've used that set a lot better than you did, and you can have that 'fair' set in Loser's Finals anyway like you wanted." Again, a poor excuse.

3. It definitely gives him a John if he loses. Even if he says he just lost because Zero was the better player, the fact that a set on the table was thrown away throws doubts everywhere considering how close the Loser's set was. It throws doubts on ZeRo, Nairo, and the outcome in general.

4. If Nairo had won the first set anyway, there'd be no talks of "fighting Zero on even ground." He beat him plain and simple. Second set not required. He should have tried his hardest from the start. The excuse(s) given is suspect and seems like backpedaling for a highly criticized performance and illogical decisions.

5. Even if Zero was down or depressed, people would probably say tough luck but better luck next time. Yet, he wins while supposedly not in top form potentially because of a free set? Nairo has no excuses and, to be blunt, looks stupid and immature for it. You can say ZeRo's mental state would've invalidated Nairo's wins, but people would've just chalked it up to ZeRo making excuses beforehand (aka RL option selects). "Prove it next time then. Really sorry for what you're going through. But real talk, you're gonna have to hold dat L for now.

6. It disrespects the tournament organizers, the sponsors, the other entrants, and the spectators (both stream monsters or attendants). People want to see the highest level of play at the end of the tournament. This is a major with backing - not a local that's going on too late in to the night.

Coming from and being a more traditional fighting game player, this issue has arisen before due to top player collusion, sponsored teammates, qualifying spots, pot splitting, or simply not giving a ****. It's a bad look. If you want this game to go the next level and be taken seriously, then you do have to keep spectators (and sponsors) in mind. It equals a bigger community, more competition, better meta, more support/development, more exposure, more events, bigger payouts and more opportunities across the board. That's a win for everyone. That Grand Finals was disappointing. You want this game to thrive as an eSport? Then treat it like an actual sport. Nobody would want to see that crap in any actual physical sport. Otherwise, the community and your competitive game look like a complete joke.

Common retort: "Well, if you don't like it, then git gud and beat them. Then you can do whatever you want or feel is right."
^I don't even want to get into how short-sighted or flawed this is because this post is long enough. I shouldn't have to explain it, honestly. Draw parallels to other spectator sports. What if the World Cup or the Superbowl had the finalists just ******* around until the 4th quarter? Like/believe/accept it or not, Smash is a spectator sport. Tournaments are spectator events. You don't have to please everyone; you just have to play your best. That first set was suspect.

Smash has a lot of potential with how much developer support it gets, Nintendo (and all possible third-party) franchises, the roster/balance updates, the pot bonuses, the community size, etc. It'd be foolish to have a repeat of what happened at TBH5 Sm4sh Grand Finals. Hopefully, more of you will see that.

Just my opinion. No slippery slope intended here.
inb4 grassroots hipster OG. I've heard it all before. Look at the bigger picture.

Edit: formatting

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't know if that's an accurate description Ffamran.
Anti and Neo have had no reservations raising issues with the competitive game. Anti was particularly against customs and up until recently had been putting most of his focus into Melee. He's been considered a reclusive smash genius for a long time, "shows up the day after pools knowing someone he dislikes will be facing him in bracket, plays the set to beat him, then forfeits" and studie[s/d] and works. But he's always affiliated with the high-end crowds of Brawl/S4 and... smash in general really.

Anti has shown up to play doubles at nationals and done well every time (uhhh... 2nd twice?), that much should be indicative of a good player; doubles skill sets supersedes singles.

It kind of invalidates ZeRo's win. There's no telling how the rest of the matches could've went if Nairo went 100% from start to finish.
This is basically my issue. ZeRo loses early and makes a roaring run through losers and takes the tournament, maintaining his extremely long tournament success rate for longer still.
The story for that has existed in Smash before, mango's run through losers pre 08 with jigglypuff (I forget if it was an mlg or evo or something else) after he dropped first set of the bracket. He took out every big name in smash along the way before taking two sets from M2K. It's been a prolific and historic story of our game that's still hyped (here I am).

ZeRo was almost mimicking it, and the story couldn't have been scripted better all the way through; gripping last stock last hit situations, all the huge names going down to him one by one. And then grand finals happened; and it was terribly NOT-what anyone would've wanted. Now this tournament will be known more for Nairo's escapade more so than ZeRo's amazing run to victory (although it's not unique... he did get DQ'd at a pre-apex tournament)... it was really an unfortunate and anticlimactic conclusion. Had it been Nairo's win after the first set his actions would've been called to question still, had it been anything else it would've gone down in history as one of the grandest and greatest moments of this game thus far.
My ability to anticipate what could've been makes me quite disappointed.

But we're not the actors on the stage, lapses in judgement are normal for human beings, especially those which I have no issues calling kids. Nairo is one of my favourite smashers, I respect him a lot, I don't really think less of him from this; there will definitely be more opportunities for historic moments... JUST UGHHHHHHHHHGH...

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I mean we've had hours to think about this and judge the decision based on everyone's reactions and what not.

Hindsight is 20-20

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't know if that's an accurate description Ffamran.
Anti and Neo have had no reservations raising issues with the competitive game. Anti was particularly against customs and up until recently had been putting most of his focus into Melee. He's been considered a reclusive smash genius for a long time, "shows up the day after pools knowing someone he dislikes will be facing him in bracket, plays the set to beat him, then forfeits" and studie[s/d] and works. But he's always affiliated with the high-end crowds of Brawl/S4 and... smash in general really.

Anti has shown up to play doubles at nationals and done well every time (uhhh... 2nd twice?), that much should be indicative of a good player; doubles skill sets supersedes singles.
I said I didn't know anything about them and I'm going off of what people said. All I know is that Anti and Neo are good players who put time into practice and figuring out the game much more than most players. It seems to me, they focus more on figuring out the game first before competing and if they do compete, it might not be as notable. When people talk about Sheik and Mario players, they don't get mentioned a lot unlike the more high profile Vinnie, VoiD, Ally, and Zenyou. Anti and Neo are more like assassins, low profile and extremely deadly if they have something as their targets. They're just under the radar of the public and that's a place assassins thrive.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
As much as I hate how Nairo handled set one, taunting at neutral against ZeRo's Shiek and getting punished for it was such a stupid move. There is no way to defend that. You totally can get away with stuff like that against certain characters who aren't as fast (example: 6WX taunting at MVD's Little Mac at Apex 2015), but you will definitely get punished against ZeRo's Shiek. You would think after how taunting in a match screwed over Nairo in a game against Rayquaza that he wouldn't pull that stuff. Overall, it really sucks that such a great tournament had such a disappointing Grand Finals. Some of the hypest sets I've ever watched, yet set one of Grand Finals flat out sucked.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Maybe I would have felt worse if I thought that Nairo would have won either set? That and if ZeRo hadn't cleaned out everyone else.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
If anything this game got more interesting knowing Zero has to bust his balls for hype, crazy wins fighting a growing field of players.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Non-streamed videos for top 32 have been uploaded here. Features the Ikes (Ryo vs Ally tho), some Trela, the death of Luigi and ZeRo dealing with Static Manny a little bit better than he did Seagull Joe.

Also, ZeRo's Diddy is so good. His low percent combo game is miles ahead of other Diddies (protip: stop uthrow uairing), his ledge play with bananas is excellent, and he's able to convert off of every dtilt he gets. He's the only Diddy I've seen actually successfully land dtilt bair and it seems like he never throws out upsmash before kill %.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I would've preferred to see Dreamland.

I saw what San was going for after dealing with FD. Ike has really poor landing options, and he had no security on that stage. Lylat is one of the best stages to have comfortable landing options since all the platforms are level, but as I said before Lylat is one of Sonic's best stages.

Dreamland would've given him everything he needed, and Sonic would've had a more difficult time killing there as well. If Joe banned Dreamland as well then I would agree with SV.
I banned DL and BF. I was expecting Halberd or Delfino jank more then anything, but he took me to Lylat, which is indeed my favorite stage lol.

:018:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom