• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Fighting Games

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
This isnt a discussion or a flame war about which game is better. Ive noticed alot of multi-fighting game tourneys in FL and surrounding areas lately and ive decided i want to pick up another fighting game to play, besides brawl of course. This only includes games out now, as i plan to play SF4 competitively when it eventually comes consolewide. So, for the sake of this thread not being closed for spam, which game would you play competitively besides brawl/melee if you had to only choose 1:

-3rd Strike
-Guilty Gear Accent Core
-Soul Calibur 4
-Capcom vs SNK 2

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'd pick Guilty Gear, particularly because aside from that it's supposed to be a real good fighter, 1) It's one of the most balanced fighting games out there, which is a real turn-on for me since I'm not a fan of being counter-pick happy (granted I enjoy Brawl and I play a lot of characters, but that's just 'cause I like to play them moreso than that I need counterpicks), 2) the soundtrack's great and 3) Dizzy's hot.

Frames

DI
MK vs DC....oh yea babay!!

Out of those games though I'd probably go with either 3s or cvs2, cvs2 moreso just because it seems more fun to me

edit - you left off mvc2? why it's soo good :D

nevershootme

Smash Master
Soul Calibur 4... you get more fun customizing your character to look awesome. Cat suit female with the style of Astaroth. as far as the game goes, vader is so much fun to go choke and lift your sorry *** back up...

Frames: I'm disappointed with MK vs DC since it's more of the same rehash fighting system in previous games, nothing earth shattering. and they gimped The Joker's gun shot fatality hard!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Soul Calibur 4... you get more fun customizing your character to look awesome. Cat suit female with the style of Astaroth. as far as the game goes, vader is so much fun to go choke and lift your sorry *** back up...

Frames: I'm disappointed with MK vs DC since it's more of the same rehash fighting system in previous games, nothing earth shattering. and they gimped The Joker's gun shot fatality hard!
vader is banned in tourneys. no special chars allowed

also, im not sure if you can even use special costumes in tourneys

i have no interest in MK vs DC....at all. And im not jumping into competitive MvC2...no

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
If you don't like fighting games with tech skill your choices are pretty limited. SC4?
well, thats true to a certain extent. When i look back, i just really dont like the tech skill thats in melee in particular, for one reason or another. I like the 4 games i listed, no matter what tech skill they have involved with them.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
tiers dont matter to me. i play whoever i like when it comes to fighting games. In SC4, id be playing Sophitia or mary poppins.

D1

Banned via Administration
I'd say Soul Calibur 4. Rock should be top tier followed by Yun Seong.
Such a lie.

LMAO!

Rock is so bad that you shouldn't even purchase the char...let him stay unbought.

Yun isn't so bad though...w/ work he can win.

Now to be serious...Sophy, Cass, Mitsu, and Amy are lookin really good atm.

If it were up to me...I'd choose SC4 since I was into the competitive scene for 2 back then.

I love GGX2:AC for the balance, and 3S I love cuz its 3S...duhhh XD.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Well since I already play GG (and love it), I'd say out of that list I'd choose 3S, since I've been considering picking it up lately anyways. I just love Yun way too much. Also considering picking up CVS for fun and playing either ratio 4 Yun or ratio 2 Yun/Vice.

Both are bad characters in CVS, but whatever!

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
I'd go with Soul Calibur but that's because that's the only other fighting game I have some knowledge of. It's fun too. The others are aight.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
sc4 is good we have a nice scene out here for it cvs2 is pretty popular 2 but man just wait for st4 too come on that game is gonna be like ****ing crack just watch

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I don't think you understand what you're saying. Tech skill in smash is no different that in GG or whatever. Just a lot of extra buttons to press.
See, there is a difference. Im not against basis of tech skill, which is what youre implying. Im against the tech skill thats in melee. For the kind of fighting game that melee is, I dont like the particular tech skill involved with it.

But thanks for picking one of the choices to help my decision >.>;;

They should make a Gurren Lagann fighting game.
Id main Kid Simon, post-Kamina. He could pretty much wreck anyone

Im leaning towards guilty gear, since i do already have the game, and i'd just have to buy a ps2 controller for tourneys. I could possibly play around with 3rd strike if i can find my dreamcast, cause i do have the actual game for it

If i played SC4, id have to buy it for 360, then buy a ps3 controller for tourneys. and thats like 100 bucks i dont have right now

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I've been told that 3S is really easy to learn. When I told Ryan (HunterSFL) that I wanted him to teach me 3S, he said "That's fine, I could teach you how to be good with Yun in about 20 minutes"

I just have to learn Gen 'ei Jin combos.

Finch

Smash Lord
See, there is a difference. Im not against basis of tech skill, which is what youre implying. Im against the tech skill thats in melee. For the kind of fighting game that melee is, I dont like the particular tech skill involved with it.

But thanks for picking one of the choices to help my decision >.>;;
First of all, I did pick a choice.

Second, what the **** does that mean? I seriously want you to explain how the tech skill in melee is different from the tech skill in any other fighter. GGAC has button combinations that are very similar in execution to L-canceling, waveshining/wavedashing out of shield, etc. SHFFLing isn't too different than the button combinations required for doing supers in any fighter. I'm not saying you should pick melee, but I am saying if you don't like the "tech skill that's in melee" then you should probably just stick to SC4 because every other fighter requires you to push a lot of buttons very quickly if you want to expand your options.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
First of all, I did pick a choice.

Second, what the **** does that mean? I seriously want you to explain how the tech skill in melee is different from the tech skill in any other fighter. GGAC has button combinations that are very similar in execution to L-canceling, waveshining/wavedashing out of shield, etc. SHFFLing isn't too different than the button combinations required for doing supers in any fighter. I'm not saying you should pick melee, but I am saying if you don't like the "tech skill that's in melee" then you should probably just stick to SC4 because every other fighter requires you to push a lot of buttons very quickly if you want to expand your options.
*looks into the future*

lol, **** that! i decline my right respond to the above statement

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
CvS2: That's how I got started in competitive gaming, and with a large selection of characters with a vastly different set of attacks multiplied by the different playing styles [the 6 grooves] every match is a blast. Except Sagat, **** Sagat. CvS2 tournies are fun but when you're just messing around in friendlies or you play somebody new it's always a learning experience, as well as a test of your skill and ability to adapt.

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
Honestly, how is scorpion vs superman even? I mean, I definitely go for scorpion, but c'mon, its freaking superman. how would scorpions hookshot thing even latch on. Kinda silly in my opinion but hopefully someone I know gets it cuz it actually looks like it could be fun!

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I'd recommend 3S or SC4. I don't think large tourneys are going to be held for CvS2 anymore, because evolution is most likely dropping it at next years evo.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'm already playing Accent Core.
I do not reccomend SC4. That is by far the most average 3D fighting game i've seen. Talk about average to the extreme. If your gonna play a 3D fighter, at least play...well..there are not many decent 3D fighters to begin with :\ I guess VF counts as being good.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
GGXX AC, but i already play it, and in my opinion, it is better than Smash has ever been. and @ Laijin - Tekken 5 DR is hands down the best 3D fighter out right now, imo. It may even be better than Tekken Tag was.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Soul Calibur 4.

1.) It doesn't completely revolve around "tech skill"/execution.

2.) There's a noticable skill gap in the game(unlike Brawl).

3.) Vader and Yoda are now in both versions.

4.) IceKid plays.

5.) It can be patched(already has been).

6.) 8wayrun.com

Top Bottom