• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Competitive Discussion] Let's learn together

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Unless someone is super heavy they should never be hit by 4 down tilts, and even then I don't think that should work. As for follow ups it varies. I like dtilt -> fsmash, but more stuff works.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Hey guys, I just started playing Olimar again a couple days ago after playing him in Brawl for a couple weeks.

Just wanted to chime in on something that randomly happened, wanted to see if it's confirmed or just something I misconstrued.

Playing a Megaman and he popped a Crash Bomber at me as I threw a Pikmin. I think what ended up happening is the Pikmin got stuck, and while it was hooked onto and slapping Megaman it blew up on him. Is this possible or was I seeing things? If yes, it'd be fun to do it to Megamans a lot more.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
I was wondering the on how the application of perfect pivoting has on effect on olimar. Is there a big difference and makes olimar better? I havent tested it out myself but was wondering how useful it was seeing as sliding and his tilts arent that bad and it seems it might help improve his metagame

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I was wondering the on how the application of perfect pivoting has on effect on olimar. Is there a big difference and makes olimar better? I havent tested it out myself but was wondering how useful it was seeing as sliding and his tilts arent that bad and it seems it might help improve his metagame
I just do normal pivot attacks. I have yet to find a use for it, although I haven't tested it to much.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Hey man. I've been using it with forward smash and down smash. It can be used to better space your forward smashes so that hitting an opponents shield will not result in them getting an easy punish on you by perfect pivoting away from them if you're close enough. But one of the best ways to use Perfect Pivoting is Out of Shield to get in position to punish a hit on your shield that they spaced well. This goes for all characters, but isn't really as useful on Olimar because of his already huge range and speed on F-Smash. A lot of times you can just throw out an f-smash.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
I could see a retreating perfect pivot into d-tilt, and a advancing pivot into f-tilt, and maybe u-tilt if it hits behind you. And of course foward and down smash.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Did you see how Dabuz counterpicked Olimar to defeat ADHD's Diddy after his Rosalina got destroyed? It was at Collision 11 at Clashtournaments stream last weekend I think. Pretty interesting.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
I'd also like to point out Rich Brown's return to Olimar as his main character. People are starting to realize his potential.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I haven't see Rich Brown's Olimar but I've been meaning to. Dabuz got my respect for bringing the hype. I was watching that tournament and was not on the edge of my seat for this Diddy v Rosalina grand finals...and then Olimar tagged in and the chat blew up. The hype was palpable. Olimar didn't win I think, but he almost did and certainly put on a show. I respect Dabuz for helping bring Pikmen into the spotlight when everyone else just said "lol worst character."

Been playing Alph since 1.03, and it feels good man :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
His match against ADHD wasn't grand finals, but he did indeed win with Olimar against ADHD, he lost against Nakat i think.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
@ Myran Myran Hey, saw you playing on Clash Tournaments. You're making Oli look good. Also very happy to see Dabuz going back to Olimar, although I think you weren't super cheery about it when you had to fight him. I think you could've beat him, you just seemed to struggle with the ditto, which I think any Olimar player could understand..

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
@ Myran Myran Hey, saw you playing on Clash Tournaments. You're making Oli look good. Also very happy to see Dabuz going back to Olimar, although I think you weren't super cheery about it when you had to fight him. I think you could've beat him, you just seemed to struggle with the ditto, which I think any Olimar player could understand..
You pretty much hit the head on the nail lol. I figured he would go Olimar against me due to talking to him earlier in the day. We had done it before, but he usually won more. I don't really like the ditto, but I learned a couple things to look out for after that set. I also think I could have played better against ANTi's Falcon, but he has a knack for getting good comebacks on me.

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
You pretty much hit the head on the nail lol. I figured he would go Olimar against me due to talking to him earlier in the day. We had done it before, but he usually one more. I don't really like the ditto, but I learned a couple things to look out for after that set. I also think I could have played better against ANTi's Falcon, but he has a knack for getting good comebacks on me.
Yeah, ANTI pulled some sneaky stuff. Still a solid performance on your part though, glad I could see you play.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So this was probably already found, but I happened to do this while randomly using Oli today and figured I'd mention it just in case:

Utilt goes over some ledge attacks. This seems really good considering Utilt stays out long enough to beat ledge jumps and neutral ledge getups, essentially covering 3 options with one move against some characters.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
So this was probably already found, but I happened to do this while randomly using Oli today and figured I'd mention it just in case:

Utilt goes over some ledge attacks. This seems really good considering Utilt stays out long enough to beat ledge jumps and neutral ledge getups, essentially covering 3 options with one move against some characters.
Hmm so you'd have to time it at exactly the second they input get up attack?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmm so you'd have to time it at exactly the second they input get up attack?
I guess? I don't actually play Olimar and had this happen when I was picking random against Baddies. It would probably need to be tested, but I know it seems possible, and thanks to the low cooldown on Utilt, I was actually able to punish the getup attack after I landed (I think this happened against Villager, but I don't remember).

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Anyone know a high % dmg combo that you can whip out at the opponent from 0%?
I like to go DThrow, jump to Fair, land with Nair to Utilt, then double up air and finish it off with a winged Pikmin back air if I can.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So Dabuz says he uses Olimar for the Diddy matchup over Rosalina. I knew Rosa has a bad time against Diddy but could Olimar at least go even against Diddy? Just some food for thought.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So Dabuz says he uses Olimar for the Diddy matchup over Rosalina. I knew Rosa has a bad time against Diddy but could Olimar at least go even against Diddy? Just some food for thought.
He might go even, but I've heard to many people try to say it's in Olimar's favor. I'm kinda tired and don't really wanna explain it again, but there isn't really any advantage Olimar has over him. There are a couple ways you can mess up his banana, but that's about it.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
He might go even, but I've heard to many people try to say it's in Olimar's favor. I'm kinda tired and don't really wanna explain it again, but there isn't really any advantage Olimar has over him. There are a couple ways you can mess up his banana, but that's about it.
And once a Diddy knows how pikmin interact with his banana it's hard to get away with stuff.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
It's just that most people don't know the vs Olimar matchups, because he is such an uncommon character to play against. Once people learn how to play against him, I think he won't have many matchups in his favour.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
I'll get around to writing my actual thoughts on how he needs to be played and all that at some point. For now I'll say this. If you want to win bait your opponent and punish. Rinse and repeat. You should never be approaching.
The issue with that is the fact they may get ahold of your idea, even the most cautios player will try to shake off two that are on them from what I learned. Not saying I am an aggressive Olimar.(Cuz that would be stupid)

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
The issue with that is the fact they may get ahold of your idea, even the most cautios player will try to shake off two that are on them from what I learned.
True, but that is when an opening can present itself. If they want to use a move to knock the Pikmin off it can allow you to move in for a grab or something else. Olimar thrives in the mid range game, he has such strong spacing tools.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
This are things about my research. I will be updating this post whenever I can.
  • May or not be with Olimar at 0%.
  • May or not be charged, half-charged or fully-charged.
  • Different stages considered.
  • The numbers aren't exact.
  • This data need to be proven and tested.
2015 01 15 15:31 Edit: Added the images of characters.
2015 01 15 16:16 Edite: Added videos as example.

|Red|Yellow|Blue|White|Purple
:4zss:Zero Suit Samus|||||96
:4kirby:Kirby| 103 - 110
:4sheik:Sheik||| 99 || 79
:4ness:Ness||||| 80 - 99
:4link:Link| 104
:4mario:Mario||||| 65 (Half Charge)
:4palutena:Palutena|| 125
:4darkpit:Pit Sombrio||||| 87
:4sonic:Sonic||||| 127
:4samus:Samus||||| 129

:4zss:Zero Suit Samus| 93 ||130||
:4sheik:Sheik| 95 |||79
:4shulk:Shulk|||125||85 - 101
:4metaknight:Meta Knight|||93
:4yoshi:Yoshi| 96 (Half Charge) | 99 - 122 (Rage) | 129
:4mario:Mario|| 76 (Full Charge) - 126 | 102
:4ness:Ness|| 101
:4diddy:Diddy Kong| 142 | 109 (Rage) - 114 - 122 | 105 || 107 (Rage)
:4luigi:Luigi| 108 - 113 | 118 (Rage) | 144 (Half Charge)
:4littlemac:Little Mac||| 76 (Full Charge)
:4sheik:Sheik||||| 114 (Rage)
:4bowserjr:Bowser Jr.| 116
:4marth:Marth| 79 | 136 | 131 || 101
:4tlink:Toon Link||| 95 (Rage)
:4link:Link|||| 137
:4sonic:Sonic| 78 | 96 ||| 86 - 119
:4greninja:Greninja||| 157
:4olimar:Olimar| 77 (Half Charge) |||| 78 (Full Charge)
:4peach:Peach||||| 103 (Full Charge)
:4pikachu:Pikachu| 98 (Rage)
:4fox:Fox| 104 (Half Charge)
:4lucina:Lucina||| 86 (Half Charge)
:4falcon:Capitan Falcon|| 108 (Half Charge)

:4zss:Zero Suit Samus||| 90 (Full Charge) || 114
:4metaknight:Meta Knight|||||111
:4yoshi:Yoshi| 122 - 135|| 178
:4diddy:Diddy Kong| 113 (Half Charge) |||| 149
:4ness:Ness| 120 | 148 | 99
:4luigi:Luigi| 107 (Rage)
:4sheik:Sheik| 98
:4wario:Wario|| 176
:4mario:Mario||||| 153
:4littlemac:Little Mac| 130
:4greninja:Greninja|| 143
:4olimar:Olimar||||| 96

:4zss:Zero Suit Samus|||||100
:4wario:Wario||||| 122
:4ness:Ness||||| 95

:4yoshi:Yoshi|||||136
:4ness:Ness||| 158
:4mario:Mario| 134 (Rage)
:4link:Link||||| 120

:4yoshi:Yoshi|175
:4palutena:Palutena| 177

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Some of your data seems to be inconsistent. For example in the forward smash section you have blue and yellow killing at different percents. This should be the same, because they have the same amount of knockback. When testing kill %s for attacks you need to make sure your attack is consistent every time it's done. This means hitting the same sweet spot consistently and either not charging it different amounts or at all. Also all testing should be done on one stage to start then you can branch off to more to see the different effect of blastzone sizes.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Some of your data seems to be inconsistent. For example in the forward smash section you have blue and yellow killing at different percents. This should be the same, because they have the same amount of knockback. When testing kill %s for attacks you need to make sure your attack is consistent every time it's done. This means hitting the same sweet spot consistently and either not charging it different amounts or at all. Also all testing should be done on one stage to start then you can branch off to more to see the different effect of blastzone sizes.
For the sake of the knowledge, let's be positive about someone is going to tear down this data or it's going to confirm or fix it.
I still think having this poorly, inconsistent and shameful data, is better than nothing.
But if everyone believe this is %&/" , I stop right now :).

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
For the sake of the knowledge, let's be positive about someone is going to tear down this data or it's going to confirm or fix it.
I still think having this poorly, inconsistent and shameful data, is better than nothing.
But if everyone believe this is %&/" , I stop right now :).
Well I'm glad you're trying to help. I just don't know how helpful it will be to players if they have inconsistent data.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Well I'm glad you're trying to help. I just don't know how helpful it will be to players if they have inconsistent data.
In the way that someone can refuse or confirm the info. I'm not just throwing numbers that I want it to be, I added some videos in order to prove them.
It may not consider the move stale or the incremental reason of knockback-rage, whatever, but the info is published as it is and the video is there for your judgement.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
In the way that someone can refuse or confirm the info. I'm not just throwing numbers that I want it to be, I added some videos in order to prove them.
It may not consider the move stale or the incremental reason of knockback-rage, whatever, but the info is published as it is and the video is there for your judgement.
For Glory isn't really the best way to test flat kill %s. Due to having a few different factors consisting of Rage, DI, and Freshness of the move. I'm sure over time someone will go in and really grind out the numbers for each characters and blastzones.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
For Glory isn't really the best way to test flat kill %s. Due to having a few different factors consisting of Rage, DI, and Freshness of the move. I'm sure over time someone will go in and really grind out the numbers for each characters and blastzones.
So, in other words, would be better to stop right here and wait for someone to get the info? I don't have any problem but I would like to know if this is nonsense.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So, in other words, would be better to stop right here and wait for someone to get the info? I don't have any problem but I would like to know if this is nonsense.
That may be best. I watched a clip from your video for the upsmash kill, but you were at 150% while the opponent died at a lower percent. There are a lot of factors that can happen in For Glory so for that method of testing I don't think it will be to helpful.

The fact that your willing to help is nice though. This could mean if someone else looks to test this in the future you two could collaborate to find accurate data.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
That may be best. I watched a clip from your video for the upsmash kill, but you were at 150% while the opponent died at a lower percent. There are a lot of factors that can happen in For Glory so for that method of testing I don't think it will be to helpful.

The fact that your willing to help is nice though. This could mean if someone else looks to test this in the future you to could collaborate two find accurate data.
Well, thanks alot for your honesty. I will be waiting then.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
For the record, while I don't know if it's in his FAVOR, I really do feel like Oli will at least be a capable pick against Diddy

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
For the record, while I don't know if it's in his FAVOR, I really do feel like Oli will at least be a capable pick against Diddy
Captain is the Anti-Diddy.

Whenever people use a forward-B, throwing a Pikmin at him just kind of neutralizes him. And if Diddy tries to run and grab, just throw a Pikmin in his face and it stops his momentum.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

The fact that your willing to help is nice though. This could mean if someone else looks to test this in the future you two could collaborate to find accurate data.
Hey man I just saw your Winner Finals against Peach, you played really good man the hype was real.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Thanks! I'm not really content with my 5th place performance, but I know my mistakes and will be ready for Apex.
I told you Peach was a hard af mu lol. I lost to a Diddy I double two stocked last weekend. Would have been top 5 at Final Battle for sure (252 entrants). I choked hard on ClashTournaments stream because I hadn't played in 3-4 hours lol. So sad. But I'm not too bummed. Terribly run tournament to the point where I was so not ready to play my matches. Got punished for being in winners. Took games off of Mr ConCon and 0 in friendlies.

Lost to Fallin in Loser's which was depressing. I'm Hip and Rich Brown did great though! 9th and 17th respectively.

Top Bottom