• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Holy crow, Steve is an absolutely terrifying monster in the right hands...
I watched the montage, and... I'm not that impressed. Quite a bit of it could've been prevented with proper DI, and pretty much all of it was from advantage situations. Steve's main issue lies in his lackluster neutral, and the clips didn't really show that. Neutral is super important in Smash Ultimate and most of the best characters in this game have a strong neutral. This is why I'm doubtful of Steve being high or top tier, his neutral is not that good. Also, in a game where Wario can true combo into Waft, what's so impressive about the situational things Steve can do vs opponents who don't DI correctly?

Firox

Smash Master
I watched the montage, and... I'm not that impressed. Quite a bit of it could've been prevented with proper DI, and pretty much all of it was from advantage situations. Steve's main issue lies in his lackluster neutral, and the clips didn't really show that. Neutral is super important in Smash Ultimate and most of the best characters in this game have a strong neutral. This is why I'm doubtful of Steve being high or top tier, his neutral is not that good. Also, in a game where Wario can true combo into Waft, what's so impressive about the situational things Steve can do vs opponents who don't DI correctly?
In Steve's defense, he doesn't have to play neutral like most other characters do. The psychological pressure of his mining makes it so he almost never has to approach and he has a lot of devastating defensive options and OoS play. Also worth noting that his ability to generate platforms at will allows him to effectively combo into aerial smashes. Sure, most of the montage was advantage state, but I feel that maybe you're dismissing the sheer profit he's able to gain with it compared to other characters. Hard to win neutral? Sure, you could make that argument, but damn I've never seen a more savage array of ledge traps anywhere else in the cast except for maybe ROB or Snake.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Hard to win neutral? Sure, you could make that argument, but damn I've never seen a more savage array of ledge traps anywhere else in the cast except for maybe ROB or Snake.
It may be flashy, but simple and effective is often better (like Robin, Belmont, and Diddy Kong). I do think that Steve is a bit overrated, I still don't think he's top or high tier (perhaps he is online, where Minecart is actually hard to react to). His current offline results have not been all that impressive (granted, very limited amount of offline tournaments since he was released, but both Sephiroth and Min Min have managed to get better results than Steve so far, though both of them are considered contenders for top tier, and I don't think Steve is).

Is Steve a contender for the worst in the game? Probably not. Is he a top tier character, or a high tier character? I don't think he is. He's probably somewhere in mid tier, potentially upper end of mid tier? Hard to say for sure due to lack of offline, since Steve appears to benefit from online it's very plausible people overrate him.

Firox

Smash Master
It may be flashy, but simple and effective is often better (like Robin, Belmont, and Diddy Kong). I do think that Steve is a bit overrated, I still don't think he's top or high tier (perhaps he is online, where Minecart is actually hard to react to). His current offline results have not been all that impressive (granted, very limited amount of offline tournaments since he was released, but both Sephiroth and Min Min have managed to get better results than Steve so far, though both of them are considered contenders for top tier, and I don't think Steve is).

Is Steve a contender for the worst in the game? Probably not. Is he a top tier character, or a high tier character? I don't think he is. He's probably somewhere in mid tier, potentially upper end of mid tier? Hard to say for sure due to lack of offline, since Steve appears to benefit from online it's very plausible people overrate him.
Overall, I pretty much agree. As a character, I wouldn't call him broken by any stretch of the imagination, but again, in the right hands, he can do some impressive damage. I would personally say he's upper mid/lower high tier in a general sense, but I guess time will tell how far he can go offline.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Steve will always be a bit confounding because knowing how to play against Steve is so specific. Weaker or lesser-played characters have sort of unknown dark horse advantage that is talked about now and then, and Steve has it to a great extent. (Without the usual baggage of being bad!)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh, since everyone here is discussing Yonni's montage video I figured I'd share his MU chart for Steve. AFAIK Yonni is the current best Steve player, with him placing well in tourneys (albeit they're online) and managing to win a FT10 against Mr. E.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I had a random thought that might not even make any sense, but I can't quite seem to let it go -- is there such a thing as a "bad advantage state" in Smash? If so, what would it look like (or what criteria would be applied to it), and who (if anyone) could be said to have that dubious distinction?

Firox

Smash Master
So I had a random thought that might not even make any sense, but I can't quite seem to let it go -- is there such a thing as a "bad advantage state" in Smash? If so, what would it look like (or what criteria would be applied to it), and who (if anyone) could be said to have that dubious distinction?
I don't know if you could logically argue whether something like "bad advantage state" exists, but you could certainly argue whether one character's advantage state is significantly better than another's based on how easily they can follow up, combo, confirm kills and rack damage. For example, some characters have few if any follow ups in advantage, hence they would be inferior in all other categories while others may be able to combo and juggle easily but may or may not do any meaningful damage by doing so. There are a lot of variables to consider, but I do think "better or worse advantage state" is definitely something that can be quantified and compared.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I would say a bad advantage state would be one that's difficult to maintain. If your character can't edgeguard well or ledgeguard well or juggle well then the opponent has less to fear in their disadvantage state/your advantage state. :ultdoc::ultincineroar::ultganondorf: all come to mind due to their poor speed and they can't go super deep offstage either (less relevant for Incineroar compared to the other 2). They can still be threatening when edgeguarding but it's not the same as say Pika's or MK's. :ultfox: comes to mind too specifically for poor edgeguarding. It's all MU dependent anyway as your juggling ability matters less vs ZSS or Pika and your edgeguarding matters less vs...those same 2 characters actually. Can't think of a character with particularly bad ledgeguarding though.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Oh, since everyone here is discussing Yonni's montage video I figured I'd share his MU chart for Steve. AFAIK Yonni is the current best Steve player, with him placing well in tourneys (albeit they're online) and managing to win a FT10 against Mr. E.

Why did he have to post it April 1st? Hard to tell if it's an elaborate joke or a legit MU chart. But if that MU chart is correct I suppose he would be high tier. I think it's probably too optimistic though? I wonder how much of it is influenced by online? And like Thinkaman mentioned, MU unfamiliarity is probably a significant factor for Steve as well.

[/QUOTEI think it probably depends on what sort of advantage situation we're talking about. Some characters are good at juggling, some at ledgetrapping, some at edgeguarding, some at combos. Is there a character that's bad at all four? Probably not. But there are characters who have bad juggling, characters who are bad at ledgetrapping, characters who are bad at edgeguarding, and characters with poor combos/damage reward from neutral wins.

Mythra might have an overall meh advantage state, I suppose? Her neutral is really strong but her advantage state doesn't strike me as that impressive? Fortunately for her she can opt to switch to Pyra for stronger advantage, or stay Mythra and keep winning neutral, and her advantage state isn't exactly terrible or anything.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The game's engine does more to affect advantage states as a whole than any individual character's traits do. Compare Smash 64 where 0-deaths are the norm and not the exception, both it and Melee where edge guarding can be done with a stiff breeze, and Brawl where actual combos are something only a few privileged individuals have.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Why did he have to post it April 1st? Hard to tell if it's an elaborate joker or a legit MU chart. But if that MU chart is correct I suppose he would be high tier. I think it's probably too optimistic though? I wonder how much of it is influenced by online? And like Thinkaman mentioned, MU unfamiliarity is probably a significant factor for Steve as well.
Nah it's a legit MU chart, there aren't any odd placements from what I can tell. Yonni in general is very optimistic on Steve and he believes he has the potential to be top tier.

Hero.....really is a pain in the ass to fight against as Steve, Hero power scales better with his buffs than Steve is with diamond and gold. From what I've seen and discussed with my friends, the most optimal play against Hero as Steve is to play degenerately and plank him. Apparently not even ledge slip kaswoosh can beat planking.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK and Ganon are great examples, big, easy to combo, having just about nothing to escape being comboed in their toolbox. And to top it all; terrible recoveries that make them die way too soon despite having weight on their side.
Nah it's a legit MU chart, there aren't any odd placements from what I can tell. Yonni in general is very optimistic on Steve and he believes he has the potential to be top tier.

Hero.....really is a pain in the ass to fight against as Steve, Hero power scales better with his buffs than Steve is with diamond and gold. From what I've seen and discussed with my friends, the most optimal play against Hero as Steve is to play degenerately and plank him. Apparently not even ledge slip kaswoosh can beat planking.

Is this the new Melee Jigglypuff van Young Link ?

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

I found myself fashioning a noose watching that clip. :I

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I would say a bad advantage state would be one that's difficult to maintain. If your character can't edgeguard well or ledgeguard well or juggle well then the opponent has less to fear in their disadvantage state/your advantage state. :ultdoc::ultincineroar::ultganondorf: all come to mind due to their poor speed and they can't go super deep offstage either (less relevant for Incineroar compared to the other 2). They can still be threatening when edgeguarding but it's not the same as say Pika's or MK's. :ultfox: comes to mind too specifically for poor edgeguarding. It's all MU dependent anyway as your juggling ability matters less vs ZSS or Pika and your edgeguarding matters less vs...those same 2 characters actually. Can't think of a character with particularly bad ledgeguarding though.
Advantage state isn't just about how long you can mantain it, but how much reward you can get from it as well. Ganondorf and Incineroar can actually be pretty threatening when they get you in the right position (particularly when tney have you in the corner), so I'd argue they actually have pretty good advantage states all things considered.

If I had to pick a character who's advantate state I'm underwhelmed by, I'd probably say Banjo and Kazooie. They have good disjoints to corner pressure with, D-tilt is very good at 2-framing and Egg Grenade has some good ledgetrapping application but aside from that its hard to get crazy damage or easy kills off of a single nuetral win.

Other characters that come to mind include other low risk / low reward characters like Duck Hunt, Isabelle and Villager. All of these characters have tools to lay down some pressure in advatage, but like Banjo I think they're all more specialized for wracking up damage by stacking up several smaller nuetral wins together.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Advantage state isn't just about how long you can mantain it, but how much reward you can get from it as well. Ganondorf and Incineroar can actually be pretty threatening when they get you in the right position (particularly when tney have you in the corner), so I'd argue they actually have pretty good advantage states all things considered.

If I had to pick a character who's advantate state I'm underwhelmed by, I'd probably say Banjo and Kazooie. They have good disjoints to corner pressure with, D-tilt is very good at 2-framing and Egg Grenade has some good ledgetrapping application but aside from that its hard to get crazy damage or easy kills off of a single nuetral win.

Other characters that come to mind include other low risk / low reward characters like Duck Hunt, Isabelle and Villager. All of these characters have tools to lay down some pressure in advatage, but like Banjo I think they're all more specialized for wracking up damage by stacking up several smaller nuetral wins together.
Agreed with the thesis but raising an eyebrow at the examples. I know as Isabelle, a non-trivial amount of my damage comes from max-range slingshots that are probably stale and lead to nothing. But most of the rest of my conversions are u-tilt -> u-tilt -> uair, DA -> 2x fair (-> offstage), lloid -> uair/rod, or dair -> general nonsense. All of that is pretty solid reward.

Duck Hunt isn't totally dissimilar, with everything disc sets into so easily. Between Can and Egg Grenade, I feel like both Banjo and DH have better advantage than idk, Pac-Man. (Whose tricks shots and fair chains are scary, but situational and less % than they might seem)

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

Yonni might be one of the best online Steve players, but I think offline the best Steve player might be Extra Ghost? He's been comaining him with Mii Brawler for the last several months, and is currently ranked #1 in South Australia using Steve. He hasn't made a matchup chart for Steve, but he has released a Tier List for 11.0. A lot of US Steve players seem to be under the impression that he's Top or High tier, while Extra Ghost has him closer to the middle of the tier list.

I also want to bring up the topic of Sephiroth. I've noticed that players from regions where offline play has been happening for the past several months seem to have a noticeably lower opinion of Sephiroth than most US players do (usually ranging from high to mid tier). And the more I think about it, the more I agree with that take. I think offline this character is going to lose quite a bit of what makes him really good online in my opinion. His disadvantage will be more easily exploited offline where advantage states are generally better and his normals with their poor frame data will be easier to react to and parry offline. Reacting to side-b also becomes easier offline. Sephiroth's ledgetrapping with ftilt is nerfed online, but ledgetrapping with other moves like Octoslash is still very effective. And I don't think Sephiroth loses much online outside of ftilt ledgetrapping and I think he gains the ability to throw out options more freely because he's at less risk for being punished. I think both Sephiroth and Steve are somewhat over hyped at the moment by most people, especially top US players.

To some degree I also suspect Pyra/Mythra are being a bit overhyped but not to the same degree, and I'm more open to being proven wrong on that one, since they're fairly new at the moment.

Edit: Mixed up Ghost's and Extra's tags, but the point I'm trying to make still stands.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am surprised at the fact nobody around here is mentioning the fact that Nairo has recently returned to streaming(now on YouTube) and oh dear his Sephiroth looks really scary.
Unfortunately due to twitch restrictions, he'll be unable to attend almost every tournament as they are all streamed online on twitch and banned users cannot appear, even under other people's streams.

NNID
User7a1
Yonni might be one of the best online Steve players, but I think offline the best Steve player might be Extra? He's been comaining him with Mii Brawler for the last several months, and is currently ranked #1 in South Australia using Steve. He hasn't made a matchup chart for Steve, but he has released a Tier List for 11.0. A lot of US Steve players seem to be under the impression that he's Top or High tier, while Extra has him closer to the middle of the tier list.
That's not Extra. That's Ghost. Extra is a G&W main from Australia.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Here's some Pyra/Mythra insights based on lots of playing the character. Specifically, how to play neutral.

Mythra has the dream combo: she's fast with a disjoint. But some playstyles are closed off to her because of specific limitations:
  • She falls too fast to play the aerial spacing game that other sword characters like Lucina and Ike can play. This limits playstyle comparisons to those employed by other fastfallers, but:
  • She doesn't have the safety on shield of fellow fast swordies Roy and Chrom, so she can't run up and pressure your defense too well
  • Her reward on hit is so bad sometimes that she doesn't benefit from taking risks like other fastfalling aggro characters like Fox

On the last point: characters like Fox, Roy, Chrom, ZSS, and Pikachu often rely on a concept you may have heard before called "overshooting"--in neutral, this means reading your opponent's roll, jump, or dash back and extending your approach forward or delaying your button press to react. These characters tend to overshoot because they have both good reward when they do get a hit, justifying the risk taken by entering their opponent's zone, and also because they enjoy the positional advantage created by catching an opponent retreating closer to the ledge.

Mythra enjoys positional advantage at kill percents because of Lightning Buster kills at the ledge, but otherwise, it often doesn't matter where you win neutral, as long as you are certain to win neutral.

So, you should pick options in neutral that give you the highest chance of winning neutral, i.e., Mythra should play it safe. These are the safest options:
  • pivot grab approaches. Mythra's pivot grab is huge, and this lets her win neutral more convincingly against characters who would otherwise threaten to dominate her with high-reward burst options like Meta Knight and Captain Falcon. These characters don't have projectiles, so they have to run at Mythra, and when you run at Mythra, you're susceptible to pivot grab.
  • dash attack landings. Landing lag in this game is low, but Mythra both low profiles with her dash attack and has one of the fastest/best dash attacks in the game. In neutral, she can just dash back and forth and throw in some empty hops, and thanks to her huge initial dash and fastfall speed it's very hard to tell when she's going to swing or where she's going to end up. Some characters must preemptively space an attack while "guessing" her intended destination, and she can punish that guess with a dash attack on reaction.
  • b-air aerials. Mythra b-air is one of the best aerials in the game at winning aerial neutral interactions because of the hurtbox compression and speed. Against characters without aerial disjoint, like Mario, you can force the opponent into the air with your movement, and then simply b-air them to win neutral cleanly.
  • d-air zoning. Mythra can jump against common midrange zoning options like Belmont f-tilt and cover a diagonal angle that zoners aren't often well-equipped to cover. Mythra curls into a ball during d-air so it's very hard to punish her if this move is well spaced.
  • lightning buster jumps. If an opponent with low fall speed happens to jump, or any opponent double jumps, Mythra can dash in underneath and charge a Lightning Buster, and there's nowhere for the opponent to safely go--there's a disjoint above her during the charge, and Mythra can choose left or right before the landing, so neither side is safe. (Mythra can throw out Lightning Buster in a wide variety of neutral situations, actually; jumping opponents are just particularly noteworthy)

On this list, both pivot grab and dash attack have easy counterplay. If you are giving up space to pivot grab or dashing back to prepare to dash attack the opponent's landing from a distance, the opponent can just run up and shield or take up more space as a response. As Mythra, you can then mix in dash grabs to punish this behavior.

I'm not sold on Foresight being strong in neutral outside of punishing multihits on shield and certain projectiles. It just isn't worth the risk to spotdodge or roll back as Mythra when there are less risky movement options to consider.

I don't think swap is particularly good in most grounded neutral situations, but volumes could be written about its situational applications. For example, after Mythra expends her double jump, she can swap, maintain aerial momentum, and end up spacing a safe aerial as Pyra. Many slower characters don't have non-commital options to punish this, and have to risk losing to a Mythra b-air if they try to get in position and she doesn't go for the swap. Since b-air doesn't offer much reward on its own, it's worth using this particular mixup more when your opponent is at kill percents, since you can b-air into a landing trap with Lightning Buster.

Photon Edge catches opponents who favor jumps, but the risk-reward is just not there to use this move unless you're trapping a landing. Thoroughly mediocre neutral tool, imo; Mythra simply has better options for doing similar things, but with additional precision requirements. If you're maining Mythra, you should have the precision needed to use those better tools.

I think the common pattern with everything I've said about Mythra is: attack only in super favorable conditions. She's a patience character. Optimally played, she exerts psychological pressure on opponents and says, "do something, because I won't--but bewarned, no matter what you do, I'm going to punish you for it."

I think this makes Mythra particularly good at killing, too. Mythra's smashes are all good, and running up with up-smash, d-smash, and f-smash to punish an opponent who acted a hair too early should be the source of many of your kills (the rest come from Lightning Buster setups at the ledge, which are outside of the scope of this post).

But now let's talk about Pyra, who seems much more limited in neutral but still plays an important part.

First, I don't think that Pyra is particularly good for killing opponents from neutral. If you have a lead, you can space retreating b-airs and most characters struggle to approach through Pyra's large active hitboxes. But if you don't, it's hard to land a hit that will actually kill an opponent. Pyra needs to be close to the ledge to kill due to her high base knockback and limited knockback growth, but she doesn't have the mobility to put opponents there or get there by herself in neutral. From center stage, Pyra f-air won't be killing a jumping Mario, for example. You'd much rather use Mythra here, give up some stage control to f-throw Mario toward the edge, and try to ledgetrap/edgeguard/read an airdodge.

So when do you use Pyra in neutral? It depends on two things.

First, Blazing End. This is a strong neutral tool that you can use out of swap too, but its mileage varies a lot based on the matchup. It's not always worth playing Pyra against zoners even with Blazing End because Mythra already has strong tools (dash + Foresight) to deal with projectile zoning, but some specific styles of zoning make it work. The Snake matchup comes to mind as a noteworthy case where Blazing End actually makes playing Pyra more comfortable than playing Mythra in the neutral. Despite pocket, I also think the same goes for Villager/Isabelle, who rely on jumping to start their zoning.

Second, the opponent's OOS game. When your opponent has really good, punishing options OOS, but is generally too slow to get to a good position to use OOS against you unless you approach, Pyra is the best bet. Game and Watch comes to mind here. You don't want to risk getting confirmed into smashes or 10000000% damage from Game and Watch up-b because you tried to dash grab him with Mythra, so you can just space safe aerials with Pyra instead. d-tilt and f-tilt are really good in matchups like these too. Luigi, Dr. Mario, etc. seem to be matchups where you would rather play Pyra in neutral.

Outside of that, Pyra is also significantly stronger on platform stages, so sometimes you can swap to Pyra for the mixups there. You can use Blazing End to cover platform mixups (think of Roy/Chrom alternating rising and falling aerials on platforms), while using the platforms to cover lots of space yourself. d-air is the best move for a wide variety of platform-related situations, but Pyra's other aerials are good last-second mixups when an opponent is anticipating d-air spacing.

If you feel more comfortable using Pyra in a particular matchup for whatever reason, you can try to play the Lucina game of delaying the decision of which aerial to use until the last possible moment. Jump, possibly double jump, use air speed to position, evaluate opponent's position, then use the correct aerial. If an opponent is right below, tomahawk grab is also pretty good and you can often land at a safe space to use it since Pyra's grab is big.

Overall, though, I think neutral is mostly the Mythra show with a little bit of judicious Pyra use sprinkled in. In advantage, of course, Pyra is much stronger at low- and mid-percent ledgetrapping, as well as trapping landings with active hitboxes, but that's a topic for a different day.

They're a very strong character, and if the neutral play is optimized I could see them being top 5, though I think top 25 is a safer bet for now. It's been really fun to try to optimize the neutral for this one.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
That's not Extra. That's Ghost. Extra is a G&W main from Australia.
I just came back to check if I mixed up their tags because I thought I might have. Looks like I did. Doesn't change what I was saying though.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
HungryBox also finished his 11.0.1 Tier list

10_hungrybox-tier-list01.jpg

Id say for now I agree about placing :ultpyra: around the lower part of Top-Tier, although I say they can have more than enough potential to move up. Some chocies :ultsteve: pretty high (but many notable names in the community have layers have been riasing their opinions of him overall and :ultike:placed even above Chroy who are placed far to low in the list. I mean if :ultroy: if he isnt top-tier is at the peak of high tier.Also I dont think :ultgunner:is among bottom tier. Same with :ultincineroar:who has enough going for him despite his signifigant flaws

:ultdiddy:Is also can be placed in high tier in my opinion. He has pretty big playerbase getting good results. Which will jump once offline tournaments start and Tweek stars using him with :ultsephiroth:

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I also want to bring up the topic of Sephiroth. I've noticed that players from regions where offline play has been happening for the past several months seem to have a noticeably lower opinion of Sephiroth than most US players do (usually ranging from high to mid tier). And the more I think about it, the more I agree with that take. I think offline this character is going to lose quite a bit of what makes him really good online in my opinion. His disadvantage will be more easily exploited offline where advantage states are generally better and his normals with their poor frame data will be easier to react to and parry offline. Reacting to side-b also becomes easier offline. Sephiroth's ledgetrapping with ftilt is nerfed online, but ledgetrapping with other moves like Octoslash is still very effective. And I don't think Sephiroth loses much online outside of ftilt ledgetrapping and I think he gains the ability to throw out options more freely because he's at less risk for being punished.
I've generally felt that Seph will get worse offline because zoners usually do, and he's a (sword-)zoner. But it would've felt weird going against the grain of the posters here who were saying otherwise, and it's not like I have any hard proof either.

As an aside, when is an antagonist ever better than their corresponding protagonist in this game? Maybe :ultwolf:, and...? Almost across the board, the smash incarnation of an antagonist will be the hits-harder-but-slower version of the protag. 🤷

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
That's not true. Bowser is way slower than that drug-munching hoodlum who keeps ruining his dates, trashing his real-estate, and beating up his kids.
With that many kids, I think he's "dated" enough.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
With that many kids, I think he's "dated" enough.
ACKTUALLY current Mario canon is that the Koopalings are not in fact Bowser's children, just other young Koopas that he takes care of sometimes--despite being a single dad! (To a single child, mind you)

The fact that you would jump to such an assumption speaks to the depth of structual bias that the Mario Media Machine has instilled in us.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I've generally felt that Seph will get worse offline because zoners usually do,
projectile zoners get worse because they generally have moves that reacting to online or small gaps to exploit become much harder online (minecart anyine?)
online hurts sep more than the opponent becuase he is relying on reads and ledge trapping which he cannot do effectively online consistently.

as for hbox tier list even unordered pokemon trainer as a top tier is really high, ike is really really high.
im 100 percent sure a zelda main is gonna say something about where hbox placed her as well.

I'm not on this falcon hype train either. he doesnt have the combo game of falco and others
I main bayo and at this point, I give up on where to place her.she is 100 percent dependent on your opponent's matchup knowledge. she can look godly or helpless.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
With all this talk about zoners being worse offline. I would just like to mention a heavy projectile Zoner character :ultpacman: won a offline tournament recently. Zoning of any type DOES work in ultimate. Even against the rushiest of rushdowm

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Hungrybox changed the order of some characters at the end of his video (I timestamped it):

Top tier is mostly the same. Some notable changes: Ike dropped a lot in high tier. as did Min Min (bottom of high tier). Corrin and Banjo basically switched places in Upper Mid Tier (moving Corrin up and Banjo down). Diddy Kong and Samus also moved up, as did Bowser and Bayonetta. Mid tier DK went from the bottom to the top, Mii Brawler from second worst in mid to second best. Low tier Mii Gunner and Jigglypuff moved up quite a bit.

I've generally felt that Seph will get worse offline because zoners usually do, and he's a (sword-)zoner. But it would've felt weird going against the grain of the posters here who were saying otherwise, and it's not like I have any hard proof either.
Sword-"zoners" are usually better offline though, like Lucina. Sephiroth is fairly precision based and precision characters usually do better offline than online. Spammy zoners do better online, but Sephiroth is far from spammy, quite the opposite actually. Pretty much every top player who has played Sephiroth both offline and online say he's much better offline.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Hungrybox changed the order of some characters at the end of his video (I timestamped it):

Top tier is mostly the same. Some notable changes: Ike dropped a lot in high tier. as did Min Min (bottom of high tier). Corrin and Banjo basically switched places in Upper Mid Tier (moving Corrin up and Banjo down). Diddy Kong and Samus also moved up, as did Bowser and Bayonetta. Mid tier DK went from the bottom to the top, Mii Brawler from second worst in mid to second best. Low tier Mii Gunner and Jigglypuff moved up quite a bit.

Sword-"zoners" are usually better offline though, like Lucina. Sephiroth is fairly precision based and precision characters usually do better offline than online. Spammy zoners do better online, but Sephiroth is far from spammy, quite the opposite actually. Pretty much every top player who has played Sephiroth both offline and online say he's much better offline.

Heck if you have seen watching Tweek and saw Nairo return to streaming. Sepiroth can still do fairly well for himself online even with his not-provebial wing clipped

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Heck if you have seen watching Tweek and saw Nairo return to streaming. Sepiroth can still do fairly well for himself online even with his not-provebial wing clipped
I tend to agree with Mew2King about Sephiroth: Either high or mid tier online, and either top or high tier offline. It's hard to know for sure since the character is fairly new still, but he seems potent.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
online hurts sep more than the opponent becuase he is relying on reads
Relies on reads? Like Ganondorf? I don't think this is helping your case.

I'm gonna go all Marvel here and call an assist. SwagGuy99 SwagGuy99 I choose you! Details on the non-US regions and/or players? Please?

The fact that you would jump to such an assumption speaks to the depth of structual bias that the Mario Media Machine has instilled in us.
look i didnt mean it im a product of my upbringing some of my best friends are koopas like das koopa i mean we never actually spoke but i usually like his posts o god pls dont cancel me 😭

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go all Marvel here and call an assist. SwagGuy99 SwagGuy99 I choose you! Details on the non-US regions and/or players? Please?
From what I can tell, the general consensus of Sephiroth by players from JP and AUS is lower than the opinion I've seen from a lot of players from other regions. I've seen a lot of players saying he's Top Tier, especially Top US players, but I doubt a lot of those players haven't had a chance to fight/play as the character offline yet. And while you could argue that the lower opinion of Seph in JP/AUS might be due to a lack of representation of the character in those regions, there's been several players who have used him at offline events in Australia and Japan including Negima, Lagnel, Rizeasu, Zackray, and Lea.

Ben Gold and Ghost don't seem very impressed by him based on the tier lists they made this patch while Tsumusuto's tier list puts him solidly in what I would consider to be high tier.

Lea's matchup chart for Sephiroth also doesn't really impress me that much. To me, it doesn't seem to reflect Sephiroth as a top tier, it seems to reflect him as a Top 30 to Top 35 character as opposed to a Top 10 to Top 15 one.

WatwatBreton

Smash Cadet
Very interesting Sephiroth matchup chart by Lea overall, you can clearly see some patterns in the losing matchups. Sephiroth seems to struggle against:

- Fast small-ish rushdown characters that can circumvent his mid-range game and abuse his low weight : chroy, greninja, rats, inkling, fox, sheik, brawler (ok idk anything about brawler but I'm gonna assume he's a bit like fox lol). All these characters have very strong cqc options (gren nair, rat tjolt + anything, chroy anything...) that will outreward anything sephiroth can do, and the means to get into that range thanks to their mobility, their low profile, or both. Whiff punish also seems like a valuable attribute to have against a character with commital tilts and landing lag, inkling/gren/chroy are all capable of quickly jumping over or running under a move and have great reward out of it.

- Characters that beat Sephiroth at his own midrange game: mewtwo, hero, wolf, minmin, diddy, sonic. They all have very strong tools at the range that sephiroth will typically like to play at (banana, shadow ball + m2 tilts, blaster, minmin anything...). These tools can also double as whiff punish tools: if you're lucina you can't really contest a landing fair from sephi, but if you are minmin or have a banana in hand it becomes very dangerous for him. Not 100% sure what Hero is doing here but I'm gonna assume zap + buffs are annoying to deal with.
Out of all these matchups I got to try mewtwo a few times offline, and I gotta agree with this chart + what has been said in this thread before - playing mid range footsies is all m2 ever wanted and he actually gets to do it in this matchup, with better reward than sephi on most things! Shadow ball is gross, tilts are faster than most sephi moves, and he's extremely consistent at closing stocks while seph can struggle a bit. It's not only shadow ball though - Samus is listed as winning and I can totally understand why (pretty sure sephiroth does not care at all about down b landing shenanigans lmao).

- Bowser. Fast, kills you in 3 hits, and most importantly sephiroth doesn't strike me as the kind of character who'll particularly abuse bowser's poor disadvantage (outside of counter offstage)? His strings seem fairly universal and then you're playing a number game of "hitting bowser with 15% moves and any mistakes costs a third of your stock". Also his situational landing tools with down b and dair seem way better against a character with slow commital juggling moves. Bowser in general is terrifying to face if you can't abuse him well - watch any fox VS bowser and feel the pain as the fox player wins neutral 90% of the time and still loses the game lmao.

However I do think that any of these losing matchups are still playable as sephi, he has a lot of tools and some "I got the read therefore you die" shenanigans with wing, counter (that thing is GROSS wth it deals like 40), strong ledgetrapping/edgegarding...
Such a matchup chart would put him around high tier? Which feels accurate from what I've seen of the character so far, he's good but nothing about him screams "this is kinda overtuned isn't it" like joker bair or pythra's entire kit does. Except maybe counter (ITS SO GOOD I SWEAR), but it's not really something you can spam. Also despite having quite a few losing matchups (which aren't that bad I think) he is still even or wins against a lot of meta relevant characters: even against joker, palu, zss, and winning against snake and wario! Which makes sense also - I feel like uair is a very good answer to snake landing shenanigans lol.

Also slightly off-topic but I can't help but gush about how elegant sephiroth's design as a fighter is. Clear strength and weaknesses, very fitting to his personality as a character (you can almost hear the violins when the wing comes lol), and my favorite thing in designs: tools that are easy to explain and difficult to master, side b being the main example of it (but most of his attacks are tbh.
You don't need to spend 20 minutes understanding what the heck his moves do like you have to do for Steve, or wonder if they really needed to have 2 characters with 55 special variations and a special airdodge in the case of Pythra, his moves do what they look like they'll do and yet there is a lot of depth to the character. The LoL equivalent of it would be Vel'Koz vs Yasuo, and the boardgame equivalent of it would be Photosynthesis VS "any of those games where learning the rules takes 2 hours and in the end the gameplay is pretty much a flowchart".

Really looking forward to see what he'll do offline, I feel like he has room to grow and overcome bad matchups, while having inherent counterplay to his kit.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So much for ":ultsheik: can't kill"

I feel like Sheik will just always be good in every Smash game except Brawl. Thoughts on Sheik?
Sheik wasn't even too bad in Brawl, she just got chain grabbed by too many characters I recall.

But she's looking promising, that's for sure. Not sure she's gonna be good in every Smash game, we said that about Marth too, and well... Look how that turned out.

Top Bottom