• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Iridium

Smash Hero
Mario still does have about the same weaknesses as in Smash 4. Rather poor reach compared to a portion of the cast, and dealing with disjoints are a pain in his side. He even struggles to land kills when most of his strongest moves are held back by low range, which more often than not forces him to have to approach to get the advantage he wants. Swordies like Lucina can give him a lot of trouble in that regard.

But it doesn't hinder him too much when he still his excellent frame data, superb juggling capabilities, good grab game with a decent pummel for racking up damage, good projectile to use in neutral with Fireball, nice OoS option with Up-B, and a flexible variety of edgeguard options.

There are a lot of traits that go in his favor which have cemented him as a solid high tier pick with the results he has gotten, but most established top tiers appear more overwhelming in the meta regardless, especially looking at Snake. It can still be said that he has room to grow at least, but I can't see him being considered a top tier just yet.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Roy received very few literal buffs (actually, they might have adjusted the hitbox specs so he matched disjoint with Marcina? that is pretty substantial, mind you), the rest of it all is engine related.
The opposite case of Puff, who got quite a few significant literal buffs, but downvotes just about every engine change in Ultimate. (I will never stop mentioning that her neutral air dodge is longer than Ganon u-tilt.)

Roy in 4 also suffered from a substitution effect with Cloud. You saw a decent amount of Cloud players play Roy in doubles events where Cloud was banned, and a decent amount switch to Chrom/Roy in Ultimate.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
ness and mario should be considered top tier i don't get how they aren't
Ness is a great character he just as a few flaws that would keep him out of being a top tier character.

His recovery obviously isn’t the best, the addition of DAD, Pk Flash no longer causing free fall, magnet, strong aerials and his general floatiness allow him have a handful of options to work with if he still has his jump. If he’s without his jump even then PKT2 can be stalled and angled in ways to make him safer from being hit out of it and challenging it past 60 his dangerous for most of the cast because you can’t tech it if hit past certain percentages. Make no mistake though it is definitely one of his weaker points.

He also has a few others areas that hold him out of top tier. He is pretty slow on the ground which makes him rely a lot on aerials in neutral which makes MUs the opponent can outrange him completely and play reactively a bit harder. Gaining DJC PKF and magnet as legitimate tools has helped out with these MUs a lot compared to how he had to deal with them in other smash games. His character design could definitely be top tier with a few tweaks but he’s fairly balanced as he is now. Definitely a lower end high tier character.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I'm not even trying to make a statement on their viability - I don't know enough about Ult Robin to make a statement about his viability and I think Zelda is at least okay. But poor mobility is a factor that does hurt their ability to punish, escape, or push advantage and limits their overall flexibility. There's no getting around that. The question is can they succeed despite that.
If you have something like Nayru then you will have a get-off-me- tool. Like I said, it's a similar combo-breaker to Olimar's whistle. It's not as good because Whistle gets super-armor on frame 2 instead of frame 4. But it has a hitbox so it'll hurt the opponent more often then not. And this works with good DI versus the rats for example.
Giving Zelda more mobility, however, isn't really something she needs. You have to balance the character in some way. A ZSS-like Zelda would be very dangerous and I doubt any of you want that when you have a fast moving character with the strongest fAir/bAir in the game. Yes, the sweetspot is small but even on whiff it'd be safe because the sourspot is huge. Then you can run away on spam Nayru even more and also the phantom gets safer.
I think she can work around the mobility flaws which of course is a flaw but balancing is important, too.
There are other things that are more dreadful for her and that is mostly her grab. It is the same as Greninja's grab but Greninja has better mobility and therefore a better punish game, so I wonder why they made the grab for these two different characters the same. She has two kill-throws (uThrow starts killing at around 120%, maybe less, on Pichu, depending on the stage and bThrow) but other chars like Ness are far more dangerous in that regard and have a decent grab. Yes, she can dThrow -> bAir you at 0% but that isn't even guaranteed with correct DI. Like, buff her overall grab game.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Honestly, :ultmario: is just about a smidge away from showing that he's a top tier character. It really seems like "13" is the dude's favorite number though, because that's what ended up being his top placement at pretty much every single super-major or national out there. Don't get me wrong, getting top 16 consistently is definitely a good sign, but it does fall slightly short of other perceived top tiers like :ultsnake:, :ultpeach:, and more recently, :ultwario:.

I don't even think it's a swordie problem that's keeping him out (although characters like :ultike: and :ultshulk: can make him cry sometimes). As an example, Dark Wizzy placed 13th after losing a very close game 5 against MVD at Pound, and Prodigy likewise placed 13th at CEO 2019 after losing a very close game 3 against Gluttony. Both use characters that are generally considered to be even matchups, or at the very least, manageable matchups for Mario. I do think Mario has the tools and movement to take on most, if not all characters in the game.

What I find to be his biggest kryptonite at the moment (based on his performances anyway) is that after he passes the threshold for which his early cheese kills work (i.e. ladder carrying people to heaven at 20~40%), he pretty much has to start fishing for up smashes or forward smashes to get CONSISTENT kills at reasonable percents. Down aerial, back aerial, and back throw all work in some situations, but have their own drawbacks: Back aerial and back throw really only start killing at reasonable percents by a ledge, and down aerial requires opponents to already be a few feet above the ground for it to kill reliably. Otherwise, each move won't start killing until the opponent is at around 150~170%, inadvertently maximizing their rage in the process. Forward smash and up smash do get the job done better, but neither move has a safe confirm into it (like :ultfox:'s NAir into USmash, or heck, even :ultlink:'s BAir into Spin Attack), which makes avoiding them generally easier than his more inconsistent kill options.

It seems like DTilt's sourspot is the way to go, as it looks like the one confirm Mario has at the moment; Prodigy had the right idea in using it against Gluttony, but Wario Waft is Wario Waft lol. There is a few other options as well, such as NAir's tech chase set-ups, and potential edgeguards involve Cape and NAir. This is all literal theorycrafting stuff I'm pulling from my butt though, so anyone can feel free to correct me on this XD

That said, Prodigy has been improving a ton over the past few months, and has defeated top players like Myran, Cosmos, Goblin, and has taken sets of players like Stroder. If anything, I think there is a lot of hope and potential for Mario to be top tier next season. I think the main top Mario players just need to find a way to take stocks from players in ways that don't involve throwing out up smash all day XD

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Speaking of Snake, I wonder in what direction his meta develops. Ally was arguably the best Snake with MVD and Salem two follow-ups but they haven't pushed the character like Ally has (1st at Pound, 3rd at CEO and 5th(?) at Prime Saga). Will be interesting to see whether MVD and Salem can keep up.

Well, we have LTC7 later today and MVD is there. Maybe I'm just influenced by his placing at Albion which wasn't that stellar with only 5th place and being 2nd seed. It's of course great but I think he feels that he underperformed there. But I kinda feel that Snake will fall, albeit not by that much, after Ally's gone.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If you have something like Nayru then you will have a get-off-me- tool. Like I said, it's a similar combo-breaker to Olimar's whistle. It's not as good because Whistle gets super-armor on frame 2 instead of frame 4. But it has a hitbox so it'll hurt the opponent more often then not. And this works with good DI versus the rats for example.
Giving Zelda more mobility, however, isn't really something she needs. You have to balance the character in some way. A ZSS-like Zelda would be very dangerous and I doubt any of you want that when you have a fast moving character with the strongest fAir/bAir in the game. Yes, the sweetspot is small but even on whiff it'd be safe because the sourspot is huge. Then you can run away on spam Nayru even more and also the phantom gets safer.
That's not what I was arguing. I'm not advocating for them to give Zelda ZSS-tier mobility. I'm not insane.
I'm not even advocating for buffs - I'm honestly really annoyed by how much the conversation gets derailed by buff/nerf talk here.

As for Nayru's Love yeah that move is good and helps patch up her weakness to getting pressured somewhat but it's also decently punishable and doesn't change the fact that Zelda is bad at running or jumping away or dealing with disadvantage.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
That's not what I was arguing.

As for Nayru's Love yeah that move is good and helps patch up her weakness to getting pressured somewhat but it's also decently punishable and doesn't change the fact that Zelda is bad at running or jumping away or dealing with disadvantage.
Then what are you arguing for? You can't just go out there and tell someone that mobility does matter when you don't actually think that's a problem for the character and that one character should get faster. Anyway, it's a balancing act and the low mobility is justified since every character should be held back by something.
I don't fully agree with S StoicPhantom but I also think that increased mobility isn't something that should be tackled by the balancing team. Maybe slightly so she gets ground mobility like Wolf but that's it.
Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, she can succeed (whatever that means but let's say Top 32 in S-tiers for now?) despite the poor ground mobility (air mobility is quite decent).

Also the last paragraph is somewhat iffy. Nayru isn't pressed nilly-willy (you rarely/never see Ven doing a bad Nayru). You could say that about every move that misses. But w/e.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Then what are you arguing for? You can't just go out there and tell someone that mobility does matter when you don't actually think that's a problem for the character and that one character should get faster. Anyway, it's a balancing act and the low mobility is justified since every character should be held back by something.
I don't fully agree with S StoicPhantom but I also think that increased mobility isn't something that should be tackled by the balancing team. Maybe slightly so she gets ground mobility like Wolf but that's it.
Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, she can succeed (whatever that means but let's say Top 32 in S-tiers for now?) despite the poor ground mobility (air mobility is quite decent).

Also the last paragraph is somewhat iffy. Nayru isn't pressed nilly-willy (you rarely/never see Ven doing a bad Nayru). You could say that about every move that misses. But w/e.
He isnt arguing that her mobility should be buffed he's just saying that if you were hypothetically listing weaknesses of Zelda even though her mobility should be low to balance her out it still is a weakness of hers that ultimately would be put in the cons side for her charachter. I dont think he was saying that zelda needs better mobility or that she was bad/good he was just pointing out one fact about her as a charachter and let people draw their on conclusions from it. Thats what I interpreted it as anyway

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
He isnt arguing that her mobility should be buffed he's just saying that if you were hypothetically listing weaknesses of Zelda even though her mobility should be low to balance her out it still is a weakness of hers that ultimately would be put in the cons side for her charachter. I dont think he was saying that zelda needs better mobility or that she was bad/good he was just pointing out one fact about her as a charachter and let people draw their on conclusions from it. Thats what I interpreted it as anyway
True. It's a flaw, that's undeniable.

And a Zelda got 5th at the latest Sumebato with over 300 entrants. Good stuff.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
didnt we just see this in smash 4 mewtwo? I've yet to play or see a character in any fighting game that does not benefit from speed increase. It opens more options: tech chases, ledge traps, pressure, ect. zoners gain room to set up and rushdown character gain the ability to stay in longer.

To the ness point his biggest struggle is his best players dont often travel consistently FOW, bestness, and awestin are the leaders of the ness meta to my knowledge and all three havent traveled as much. Awestin especially plays a very unique playstyle with ness that often shows how versitle moves like pk thunder and magnet cancels can be.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here is the results for Low Tier City 7 doubles.

1st: Marss:ultzss::ultike: Light:ultfox:
2nd: Lui$:ultfox: BestNess:ultness::ultpalutena:
3rd: Stroder:ultjoker::ultmario::ultgreninja: Elegant:ultluigi:
4th: MVD:ultsnake: ESAM:ultpikachu:
5th: Denti:ultpokemontrainer: Awestin:ultness:
5th: MuteAce:ultpeach: Samsora:ultpeach:
7th: Meme:ultyoshi: Joker:ultsamus:
7th: Megafox:ultfox: AvoiD:ultike::ultlucina:

Other Notable Teams:
9th: Blank:ultchrom: Fatality:ultfalcon:
9th: Shadow_PR:ultbayonetta: 8BitMan:ultrob:
13th: Pandarian:ultpokemontrainer: Lima:ultbayonetta1:

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I didn't see Lui$ playing Doc; every game I saw with him was Fox.

Stroder also played Mario and I think a Greninja game.

Marss won a counterpick game as Ike, BessNess won one as Palu.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Would X character be better if you buffed y-trait"?

Yes. Yes they would. How much of a difference that buff would make is a different question.
So long as that trait is relevant to their game plan. My point being mobility isn't an inherently good thing, it depends on the character's needs.

More speed would make it harder to undershoot.

Unless they're moving faster then even a competent player can control, I don't understand this idea that moving would somehow make your attacks harder to hit.
https://smashboards.com/attachments/zeldafair-png.187693/

Do you see that circle around the shiny part of her foot? That's the sweet-spot. Might seem generous, until you realize it's only active at the start of the move, the sour-spot isn't safe, and has a FAF of 50. Little things like Cloud having a small waist, can mean you won't be able to sweet-spot at short hop height. Maybe you can adapt to greater mobility, but slight mistakes in DI can mean the differences between landing a big hit and eating a big hit yourself. I personally find it easier to control and compensate for mistakes with slower characters than faster ones, but maybe I'm just more used to that.

Like, isn't the whole reason Marth is considered inferior to Lucina, because it's harder to land Marth's tippers in Ultimate, due to the game speed being quicker? If we gave Marth ZSS tier mobility, wouldn't that make it more complex to have to account for your own speed in addition to your opponent's? Isn't his floaty nature integral to his spacing, and giving him faster fall speed going to screw with that?

I admittedly don't know much about ZSS, so I might be way off base with this, but looking at this match, Marss did have moments of improper spacing or at least bad reads, which lead to Nairo punishing him OoS often. That's with ZSS's frame data and overall speed, imagine if you put Zelda's endlag there. There were points were Marss DIed in on Nairo's shield with Nair. I don't know if he was attempting to hit with the sour-spot, but that wouldn't fly with Zelda's sour-spots. But Marss got away with it, because Nair is relatively safe in that context.

But I think the more important thing to note is all of the fast fall and retreating aerials both characters were doing. That's a good example of what high mobility can give you, except Zelda's aerials don't have the ability to do those things. Fair/Bair can't be used as retreating aerials, because as I mentioned above, the sweet-spot is at the start of the move and it has a FAF of 50. The threat of an aerial is what causes chasing opponents to hesitate, not mobility. Having more mobility will make it easier, but even the most mobile characters can still be trapped without other threats. Yes, landing the sweet-spot can lead to some hilarious reversal kills at 80, but it's not consistent.

Nair is good, but doesn't have much range and it is rather high committal. Dair can only be used if the opponent is directly below you. Not a lot of these moves can be easily fast fallen nor is that very helpful a lot of the time. You can repeat this for a lot of her ground moves.

My point here is that she doesn't have a kit that can easily take advantage of increased mobility. Hitboxs are too small, precise, or laggy. They don't chain into each other well, given the massive amounts of knockback and/or angles they send opponents at. That's why she remains a bait and punish character, because she can't challenge opponents head very easily. Can she benefit in certain situations? Maybe, but it won't matter much or change anything.

Being able to drift away from your opponent more easily makes it easier to land. It wouldn't fix that she has poor landing options but it would make landing easier.
As I said above simply drifting from your opponent doesn't matter much. You need to have something to discourage pursuit. None of Zelda's aerials or landing options are consistent or viable. The only thing that is, is Nayru's Love. That needs to be used carefully and only when an opponent commits, which is why high level Zelda's often take their time landing. Due to this, even if you slapped top tier mobility on Zelda, how Zelda navigates disadvantage won't change, because she doesn't have consistent landing/retreating options.

*:ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: cough awkwardly*
I wonder if the difference could be that Links have projectiles that are built for combos and Robin has projectiles that are built for knockback? Sort of like context matters or something?

Archetype outliers aside, I sure am glad Snake has bad mobility. Imagine him being able to just rush in and U-tilt you from half way across the stage at any given moment! His dash attack is bad enough.
I know what you mean. Good thing he has amazing aerial mobility to get around that! I'm glad there isn't anything misrepresenting what I said!!!

But poor mobility is a factor that does hurt their ability to punish, escape, or push advantage and limits their overall flexibility.
Does a bear **** in the woods? They'd go up tiers just like :4bowser::4mewtwo: did. Better mobility would improve their advantage states by allowing better chasing down and disadvantages with better escapes. Zoners love mobility; it allows them to safely zone. Think how much better speed art Shulk is than no art Shulk.
Can you guys actually elaborate specifically how Zelda would benefit from top tier mobility, instead of repeating the same general statements?

I'll give you an example:

improve their advantage states by allowing better chasing down
Notice how Ven did the equivalent or greater amount of damage than Captain L per neutral win? Despite getting fewer hits, Zelda does a lot of damage with each hit. She doesn't need to worry about chasing because she can match the opponent in percent, while being able to knock them off stage earlier. Zelda's kit isn't really built for chasing. Dash attack, Up-air, and Fair are okay in certain situations, but you're not going to see her successfully chase opponents deep into disadvantage, even with increased mobility. Again, LKs are difficult to land while moving quickly, Nair is outranged by most aerials, including examples like Pikachu's Fair in that video. Up-air is situational, frame 14, and doesn't easily lend to juggles or spam.

Zelda can also kill very early despite the inconsistencies, so she doesn't need to do that much damage in the first place. However, at the same time one common theme you'll see in Zelda matches, is that she struggles to kill reliably. So while she can kill pretty early, it's not guaranteed and comes with great risk. You see this issue especially in the Pikachu MU, where Pikachu is too small to land sweet-spots and can trade or fall out of Fsmash, due to it not being transcendent until the final hit. Ven struggled considerably to land a kill, despite often taking the lead. Not because he wasn't fast enough to hit Pikachu, but because Zelda's hitboxs aren't big or safe enough to hit him.

That is a running theme with Zelda in general, not just with small characters. More mobility won't help that issue, it's the hitboxs and frame data that's the issue.

disadvantages with better escapes
Notice how Zelda lived stupidly long in those games? This is another running theme you will see with Zelda, no matter the MU, she will live for a very long time. That's because her being floaty combined with her good defensive tools like Phantom and Nayru's Love, can help her avoid the KO. Yes, being floaty makes it easier to be comboed at lower percents, but it also means she can't have landing trapped to due fall speed at higher percents. You can keep hitting her and racking up damage, but all it will really do is build her rage and get you killed at the end of the day. We can go on about damage, but it's only a means to the end of getting the kill, it's pointless if you can't land the KO.

Nayru's Love disallows combos that aren't true anyways. Anytime Captain L tried to press his advantage he'd get stuffed by Nayru or Dair. You have to stick to true combos against Zelda, and better mobility won't help you escape something that's true. Zelda's mobility and floaty nature also helps off stage and allows her to stall. This will prevent opponents from going out and trying to exploit the holes in Farore's Wind's invincibility. Pikachu lost his off stage game and had to rely on his on stage kill options.

Where he ran into issues, was Pikachu's Fsmash. Heavily disjointed and long lasting, it will very easily punish Nayru's Love. Notice how Ven never really used it unless he or Pikachu was in the air? That's to avoid whiffing and having Pikachu punish with Fsmash, which can kill Zelda easily. You'll notice this come into play whenever Ven was trying to get back on stage or in neutral on the ground. Ven tried to do a lot of ledge jump sweet-spot Fairs on shield, because Pikachu is too small for Dair mixups and landings are a prime target for Pikachu Fsmash. Where he took most of his damage, was at the ledge. This illustrates the lack of good landing options Zelda has, when both Phantom and Nayru are taken out of the picture. This isn't something better mobility will solve, because she doesn't have much to discourage chase.

Same thing with neutral, without Nayru Zelda doesn't have much to deal with Pikachu's pressure. Her hitboxs are too small and slow to reliably counter Pikachu's small size and quick moves. That also isn't something better mobility will help, because the issue is the hitboxs and frame data.

ability to punish
We're talking about a character that has some of the quickest startups to some of the most powerful options in the game. If anything her ability to punish is her biggest strength.

Here's another match, where character size isn't as big of an issue.

Notice how despite neutral wins needed to dish damage dramatically increased, but the damage output remained the same for both characters, once Ven started adapting? Notice how despite Wolf being larger, it was still difficult for Zelda to land the kill? Notice how Zelda lived for an even longer time and made Wolf struggle for the kill? Notice how Nayru and Phantom being back in play, made things considerably easier in neutral and disadvantage for Zelda?

The same issues in the Pikachu MU are in this one as well. You can look through any top Zelda match, but you'll see these issues I've laid out reoccurring and you won't be able to point to one and say definitively that having more mobility would change things. Because her issues lie in her moves, not her attributes.

And play close attention to how Ven navigates neutral. It might seem like he's being very aggressive, but closer inspection will reveal that a lot of those approaches are feints. This is where Zelda's floaty nature and low mobility come into play. They allow her to stall and do more nuanced moves. More mobile fast faller types can't remain in the air for long and often have to rely on their DJ to remain in the air, which is a double-edged sword. This is where you can better land things like sweet-spot Fair, because you let the opponent run into it, not chase the opponent.

Notice how he doesn't approach or attack that much? Notice how most of the time he does fish for something, it's when the opponent is already going to be jumping or otherwise committing to an action that would prevent them from punishing whiffs? Notice how when he doesn't adhere to these things, he often gets stuffed? That's how you play Zelda. It costs nothing for Wolf to throw an aerial, he could easily wall Zelda out with his superior range, even if she had equivalent mobility.

My main point is that giving Zelda more mobility wouldn't change anything on a fundamental level. Her kit isn't designed to take advantage of it, her current speed actually works with her kit, and it wouldn't solve the issues of approach and landing or her moves being risky and very do or die at times. She can tit for tat or exceed the other high and top tiers in most states. Look at the videos. Does that really look like a character that's struggling with mobility? Does it not seem like she's going toe to toe with top tier mobility? Maybe because her initial acceleration is pretty good? And that short bursts lends to a punish character better than overall speed? Especially one that can force others to approach?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
There's a lot of pieces that go into what 'mobility' is. Having a high air speed allows you to recover better, chase down opponents in the air better, drift away during disadvantage better and potentially get combos you wouldn't have otherwise. Having a high air acceleration makes all of what I just mentioned apply to your character faster. Combine that with a high air deceleration, gives you more leeway with microspacing in the air. Higher walk speed allows for better micro spacing as you can more quickly cover whatever short distance you need to. Higher dash allows you to take stage control faster, pressure an opponent in disadvantage more effectively and potentially grants you access to more combos. Higher jump and fall speed aren't 100% beneficial and really depend on the character's kit for what they'd rather. A higher jump allows you to pressure those on high platforms better and hit airborne opponents earlier but also makes it harder to attack grounded opponents with aerials. Higher fall speed will get you to land sooner but also makes you easier to edgeguard and combo. High or low initial dash is similar to having a high walk speed. Having a high initial dash can allow you to completely dodge an attack but can also overshoot you, while a shorter initial dash won't let you dodge as well but allows for better microspacing.

Better mobility won't fix hitbox issues but it does provide more options. Chrom is a very mobile character in most regards with a fast dash, walk, fall speed and air speed but he still has poor air acceleration which is what results in him having rather predetermined arcs once he does jump in a direction. In that particular case, he has bad mobility as it hinders his ability to space with aerials and can make him over-commit with jumps. Giving Zelda better mobility in most areas would be nothing but a complete buff. It wouldn't magically fix all of her issues but it would be a buff regardless.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Speaking of Snake, I wonder in what direction his meta develops. Ally was arguably the best Snake with MVD and Salem two follow-ups but they haven't pushed the character like Ally has (1st at Pound, 3rd at CEO and 5th(?) at Prime Saga). Will be interesting to see whether MVD and Salem can keep up.

Well, we have LTC7 later today and MVD is there. Maybe I'm just influenced by his placing at Albion which wasn't that stellar with only 5th place and being 2nd seed. It's of course great but I think he feels that he underperformed there. But I kinda feel that Snake will fall, albeit not by that much, after Ally's gone.
Snake is the most commonly character seen in like the top brackets in all majors at this point. Even more than the likes of Wolf and Palu.
Even with Ally gone Mr.R saying he is now going to focus on soloing Chrom and yeah Salem says he is going to use Shulk more but you need to take anythng Salem says with a handful of salt at this point.
I think Snake aint going anywhere until thr next possible balance patch at least

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
So long as that trait is relevant to their game plan. My point being mobility isn't an inherently good thing, it depends on the character's needs.

I wonder if the difference could be that Links have projectiles that are built for combos and Robin has projectiles that are built for knockback? Sort of like context matters or something?

Can you guys actually elaborate specifically how Zelda would benefit from top tier mobility, instead of repeating the same general statements?

I'll give you an example:

Notice how Ven did the equivalent or greater amount of damage than Captain L per neutral win? Despite getting fewer hits, Zelda does a lot of damage with each hit. She doesn't need to worry about chasing because she can match the opponent in percent, while being able to knock them off stage earlier. Zelda's kit isn't really built for chasing. Dash attack, Up-air, and Fair are okay in certain situations, but you're not going to see her successfully chase opponents deep into disadvantage, even with increased mobility. Again, LKs are difficult to land while moving quickly, Nair is outranged by most aerials, including examples like Pikachu's Fair in that video. Up-air is situational, frame 14, and doesn't easily lend to juggles or spam.

Zelda can also kill very early despite the inconsistencies, so she doesn't need to do that much damage in the first place. However, at the same time one common theme you'll see in Zelda matches, is that she struggles to kill reliably. So while she can kill pretty early, it's not guaranteed and comes with great risk. You see this issue especially in the Pikachu MU, where Pikachu is too small to land sweet-spots and can trade or fall out of Fsmash, due to it not being transcendent until the final hit. Ven struggled considerably to land a kill, despite often taking the lead. Not because he wasn't fast enough to hit Pikachu, but because Zelda's hitboxs aren't big or safe enough to hit him.

That is a running theme with Zelda in general, not just with small characters. More mobility won't help that issue, it's the hitboxs and frame data that's the issue.

Notice how Zelda lived stupidly long in those games? This is another running theme you will see with Zelda, no matter the MU, she will live for a very long time. That's because her being floaty combined with her good defensive tools like Phantom and Nayru's Love, can help her avoid the KO. Yes, being floaty makes it easier to be comboed at lower percents, but it also means she can't have landing trapped to due fall speed at higher percents. You can keep hitting her and racking up damage, but all it will really do is build her rage and get you killed at the end of the day. We can go on about damage, but it's only a means to the end of getting the kill, it's pointless if you can't land the KO.

Nayru's Love disallows combos that aren't true anyways. Anytime Captain L tried to press his advantage he'd get stuffed by Nayru or Dair. You have to stick to true combos against Zelda, and better mobility won't help you escape something that's true. Zelda's mobility and floaty nature also helps off stage and allows her to stall. This will prevent opponents from going out and trying to exploit the holes in Farore's Wind's invincibility. Pikachu lost his off stage game and had to rely on his on stage kill options.

Where he ran into issues, was Pikachu's Fsmash. Heavily disjointed and long lasting, it will very easily punish Nayru's Love. Notice how Ven never really used it unless he or Pikachu was in the air? That's to avoid whiffing and having Pikachu punish with Fsmash, which can kill Zelda easily. You'll notice this come into play whenever Ven was trying to get back on stage or in neutral on the ground. Ven tried to do a lot of ledge jump sweet-spot Fairs on shield, because Pikachu is too small for Dair mixups and landings are a prime target for Pikachu Fsmash. Where he took most of his damage, was at the ledge. This illustrates the lack of good landing options Zelda has, when both Phantom and Nayru are taken out of the picture. This isn't something better mobility will solve, because she doesn't have much to discourage chase.

Same thing with neutral, without Nayru Zelda doesn't have much to deal with Pikachu's pressure. Her hitboxs are too small and slow to reliably counter Pikachu's small size and quick moves. That also isn't something better mobility will help, because the issue is the hitboxs and frame data.
Being mobile is inherently good thing. It might not be the only thing a character needs but it never hurts. Krysco Krysco explains it.

YL and TL are better than Robin because they're zoners who can effectively zone. This is why TL was better than Link in SSB4; he had the mobility to zone while Link was too easy to catch.

Notice how Ven lost that set 1-3 and Pika was dancing around Zelda? That set is a perfect example of how important mobility is. Zelda would have better chasing with better mobility and she even wiffs a Uair on PS2 due to her poor mobility not being able to keep up with Pika's DI.

Zelda having small sweet spots doesn't mean better mobility wouldn't help her. Just because it doesn't fix all her problems doesn't mean it is bad.

No, Zelda did not live stupidly long in those games she died at 116 to Fsmash and in the 120s to Dsmash several times.

Captain L worked around Nayru's several times. Like any counter you can bait and punish it. Zelda has some disadvantage tools but they're not perfect. Better mobility won't let you escape something that's true but neither will Nayru's. And better mobility would have let Zelda evade Pika more easily, just like how hard ZSS is to catch.

Better mobility does help landings because you can fake out opponents.

It also helps neutral because, like Pika was doing you can weave in and out with pokes and not be in attack range as much.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh boy there's a lot to dissect here.
My point being mobility isn't an inherently good thing, it depends on the character's needs.
And to put it bluntly, your point is baffling.

Mobility is inherently a good thing. Look I try to be open-minded in these discussion but c'mon.
Do you see that circle around the shiny part of her foot? That's the sweet-spot. Might seem generous, until you realize it's only active at the start of the move, the sour-spot isn't safe, and has a FAF of 50. Little things like Cloud having a small waist, can mean you won't be able to sweet-spot at short hop height. Maybe you can adapt to greater mobility, but slight mistakes in DI can mean the differences between landing a big hit and eating a big hit yourself. I personally find it easier to control and compensate for mistakes with slower characters than faster ones, but maybe I'm just more used to that.
Gee man, I can't imagine a high speed character using a move like that effectively in a high speed game. :falconmelee:
Like, isn't the whole reason Marth is considered inferior to Lucina, because it's harder to land Marth's tippers in Ultimate, due to the game speed being quicker? If we gave Marth ZSS tier mobility, wouldn't that make it more complex to have to account for your own speed in addition to your opponent's? Isn't his floaty nature integral to his spacing, and giving him faster fall speed going to screw with that?
Hm it's more complicated then that.
As it's been pointed out microspacing in neutral can be more difficult for Marth, but tippers are easily to land in advantage.
99% of the time when you're using lightning kick, it should be a punish tool, not a neutral tool. It's easier to hit a character stuck in endlag.
As I said above simply drifting from your opponent doesn't matter much. You need to have something to discourage pursuit. None of Zelda's aerials or landing options are consistent or viable. The only thing that is, is Nayru's Love. That needs to be used carefully and only when an opponent commits, which is why high level Zelda's often take their time landing. Due to this, even if you slapped top tier mobility on Zelda, how Zelda navigates disadvantage won't change, because she doesn't have consistent landing/retreating options.
Sometimes a little bit of drift could be the difference between your opponent catching your landing and them not.
It's certainly more useful if you have good retreating options but it's still useful regardless.
My point here is that she doesn't have a kit that can easily take advantage of increased mobility. Hitboxs are too small, precise, or laggy. They don't chain into each other well, given the massive amounts of knockback and/or angles they send opponents at. That's why she remains a bait and punish character, because she can't challenge opponents head very easily. Can she benefit in certain situations? Maybe, but it won't matter much or change anything.
Bait and punish characters love having good mobility to bait or punish with. Am I right, :4sonic:? Just like how zoners love to be able to run away or quickly punish opponents for trying to avoid or getting hit by their projectiles.
We're talking about a character that has some of the quickest startups to some of the most powerful options in the game. If anything her ability to punish is her biggest strength.
And wouldn't it be even better to have even more opportunities to use those traits?
My main point is that giving Zelda more mobility wouldn't change anything on a fundamental level. Her kit isn't designed to take advantage of it, her current speed actually works with her kit, and it wouldn't solve the issues of approach and landing or her moves being risky and very do or die at times. She can tit for tat or exceed the other high and top tiers in most states. Look at the videos. Does that really look like a character that's struggling with mobility? Does it not seem like she's going toe to toe with top tier mobility? Maybe because her initial acceleration is pretty good? And that short bursts lends to a punish character better than overall speed? Especially one that can force others to approach?
I'm not claiming she's "bad" because of her mobility, or that it's her sole weakness.
I'm not claiming her kit doesn't work because of it.
I'm not claiming that she absolutely needs a mobility buff.

I'm just saying that poor mobility is a weakness, no matter if you're a top tier like :ultsnake: or a bottom tier like :4ganondorf:.
Some characters might benefit more from mobility then others. Some might be in need of it more. But every character would rather be mobile then not. Just like how every character would want a better recovery, even if they don't like to chase opponents offstage. Or how every character would like to have a bit more weight, even if their gameplan doesn't revolve around tanking hits.

You're not helping your case by being so needlessly defensive of your character. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I don't think you two are even disagreeing that much.
Looks to me that Stoic thinks that a mobility buff wouldn't necessarily buff Zelda as a whole. Maybe it will but I'm still in for a faster grab.
Zelda already has good OoS option (lol, Zero) with a frame 6 upB.

Anyway, yes, "every" character would like a mobility buff but sometimes it's necessary to make certain characters slower than other. I doubt anyone wants to have even a slightly faster Olimar or Snake. Now, you could call this a weakness (maybe) but is it really one when you have a kit that works around it?
That's why comparing it to recovery is somewhat iffy. There, the entire other kit doesn't necessarily help the character out. That's also why I consider Chrom worse than Roy even though Chrom may be more oppressive on stage. Eventually, you will land of stage (maybe even by a bThrow at 30%) and then your kit doesn't help the character.

Anyway, if a kit is designed to work around a mobility flaw then this flaw isn't really big. Yes it would be nice to be faster but being slow is a balance act and most characters aren't even destroyed by being slow: Olimar, Zelda, Snake all aren't the fastest and their real flaws aren't really related to their mobility as far as I'm aware. Not sure about Robin or Incineroar

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Now, you could call this a weakness (maybe) but is it really one when you have a kit that works around it?
A weakness you can work around is still a weakness, yes. It may not be your biggest weakness or one that seriously needs to be addressed but it is still a weakness.

The thunder rats can work around their stubby range but they still have stubby range. It doesn't stop them from being viable but it's still something that can be exploited. They don't need better range but it'd be ridiculous to claim they're better without it.

That's my entire point.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I don't think you two are even disagreeing that much.
Looks to me that Stoic thinks that a mobility buff wouldn't necessarily buff Zelda as a whole. Maybe it will but I'm still in for a faster grab.
Zelda already has good OoS option (lol, Zero) with a frame 6 upB.

Anyway, yes, "every" character would like a mobility buff but sometimes it's necessary to make certain characters slower than other. I doubt anyone wants to have even a slightly faster Olimar or Snake. Now, you could call this a weakness (maybe) but is it really one when you have a kit that works around it?
That's why comparing it to recovery is somewhat iffy. There, the entire other kit doesn't necessarily help the character out. That's also why I consider Chrom worse than Roy even though Chrom may be more oppressive on stage. Eventually, you will land of stage (maybe even by a bThrow at 30%) and then your kit doesn't help the character.

Anyway, if a kit is designed to work around a mobility flaw then this flaw isn't really big. Yes it would be nice to be faster but being slow is a balance act and most characters aren't even destroyed by being slow: Olimar, Zelda, Snake all aren't the fastest and their real flaws aren't really related to their mobility as far as I'm aware. Not sure about Robin or Incineroar
Incineroar :ultincineroar: does get destroyed due to being the slowest in the game. Because he lacks a projectile and has sluggish mobility, he often gets camped. I would say that I think his recovery is a much bigger issue due to its trajectory and unreliability, but the fact that you can camp Incineroar better than most characters isn't something that can be swept under the rug.

Not sure about Robin :ultrobin::ultrobinf: either, but I would imagine Levin Sword and Tomes are issues.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
A weakness you can work around is still a weakness, yes. It may not be your biggest weakness or one that seriously needs to be addressed but it is still a weakness.

The thunder rats can work around their stubby range but they still have stubby range. It doesn't stop them from being viable but it's still something that can be exploited. They don't need better range but it'd be ridiculous to claim they're better without it.

That's my entire point.
I think it's more valuable to talk about stuff that is really holding a character back.
For some, it is indeed mobility, for some it is kill power and for others it is the recovery.
Like, is a weakness outweight by the other stuff a character has. In case of Pikachu's range it is clearly the case. As for Olimar's mobility it is also the case. As for Mac's recovery, it clearly isn't and his other strengths don't make up for it.
However, as for Zelda, I think a little mobility buff would be really nice. Like, being on Wolf level. Partly the reason why I think she's in a limbo between mid-tier and the upper regions of the cast. Kinda like Falco who is mostly held back by his recovery and the rest doesn't really make up for it, unlike in Fox's case.

Otherwise, I think I can agree with you and that's why it's good to have a discussion :p).

Last edited:

Allkings

Smash Rookie
i don't think anybody want a zss-speed tier on ganondorf wouldn't that be a top tier character?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
So, Myran in losers at LTC7 at Pools semifinals against Sandstorm, a Ryu.

So, is this set important? Looks like Olimar was constantly in a corner and couldn't do anything against Ryu. The fact that Ryu constantly faces Olimar didn't help, either.
So, is this player related (Myran finished CEO really low) and now in Losers or is it the character (Shuton "only" 5th at today's Sumebato).

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Kinda like Falco who is mostly held back by his recovery and the rest doesn't really make up for it, unlike in Fox's case.
Unrelated to the Zelda conversation that's been going on, but I don't think :ultfalco:'s recovery is that bad. It's not :ultpikachu: or :ultwario: recovery but it's not horrible.

Having the highest jump in the game along with good air acceleration (despite having poor air speed) helps him a lot. He can mix his recovery up a bit as he has multiple moves for recovering. Also, one thing I think that is ignored a lot is that Falco's (and Fox's) up-b is hard to hit with an attack that isn't a disjoint or projectile. Also, he has a wall jump (not horribly important but it still matters when playing on certain stages).

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Why didn't anyone tell me Charizard's Up B was DLC tier

More substantive edit: Leffen's claim that Charizard was the "worst character in the game" were completely backwards back when he was headlining Pokemon Trainer, and he arguably held the character back.

Pokemon Trainer overall is an extremely good character, and Charizard definitely contributes to that.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Of course the only(?) Zelda player had to run into Fatality in losers.

Whelp, looking forward to EVO then.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Miloni :ultike: 2 - 0 Myran :ultolimar:

Myran eliminated at 49th

The post-patch life really hasn't been treating him well. It's sort of puzzling, especially when Dabuz and Shuton seems to have taken things in their stride.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Myran eliminated at 49th

The post-patch life really hasn't been treating him well. It's sort of puzzling, especially when Dabuz and Shuton seems to have taken things in their stride.
Myran managed to win a tourament in Mexico post 3.1.0. So its not like he CANT do anything with Olimar now

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Giving Zelda better mobility in most areas would be nothing but a complete buff.
Being mobile is inherently good thing. It might not be the only thing a character needs but it never hurts.
Great, can you guys explain where it would benefit Zelda? I think I've done a decent job explaining in detail why it wouldn't matter much.

YL and TL are better than Robin because they're zoners who can effectively zone. This is why TL was better than Link in SSB4; he had the mobility to zone while Link was too easy to catch.
I never commented on which one was better or even brought the Links up in the first place. Zachmac brought them up when there was no real reason to.

Notice how Ven lost that set 1-3 and Pika was dancing around Zelda? That set is a perfect example of how important mobility is. Zelda would have better chasing with better mobility and she even wiffs a Uair on PS2 due to her poor mobility not being able to keep up with Pika's DI.
Zelda can't chase effectively even with mobility, I mentioned that in my post, please go back and read it. You're ignoring the other Up-airs Ven landed and the reason for whiffs, is that it is frame 14. You need to have a read in order to effectively use it. The issue wasn't Ven couldn't keep up with Pikachu, it's that it is very difficult to land inconsistent and precise KO moves on Pikachu. Ven had the lead multiple times, just couldn't close out the stock.

Zelda having small sweet spots doesn't mean better mobility wouldn't help her. Just because it doesn't fix all her problems doesn't mean it is bad.
How would it help her? I never once mentioned it would fix all her problems, that's something you guys keep bringing up. I said it isn't an issue in the first place.

No, Zelda did not live stupidly long in those games she died at 116 to Fsmash and in the 120s to Dsmash several times.
Did you just cherrypick a few times, while ignoring that he lived to 130+ in the Pikachu one and 180+ in the Wolf one? If a lightweight consistently outlasting heavys isn't stupidly long, I don't know what is.

Captain L worked around Nayru's several times. Like any counter you can bait and punish it. Zelda has some disadvantage tools but they're not perfect. Better mobility won't let you escape something that's true but neither will Nayru's.
He got stuffed plenty of times too. Even the commentators mentioned how good he was using it. I never said Nayru's would let you escape true combos, I said you need to stick to them due to the presence of Nayru. Go watch more of Ven's stuff and you will see.

And better mobility would have let Zelda evade Pika more easily, just like how hard ZSS is to catch.
How would it do that? ZSS has lots of very quick and powerful tools to discourage aggression towards her landing. Zelda does not. Pikachu has lots of tools to cover landings, including projectiles.

Better mobility does help landings because you can fake out opponents.
How so? You still have to land sometime and your either going to jump or air dodge. Zelda still doesn't have many good landing tools for this to matter.

It also helps neutral because, like Pika was doing you can weave in and out with pokes and not be in attack range as much.
Yes, when you have pokes. When you have disjointed aerials, that can be repeatedly fast falled and have no substantial endlag to them, you can "weave in and out with pokes". My entire thing here, is that Zelda does not have those things, thus she can't easily flit about even with more mobility. Like, how would you even begin to try to do the things characters like Wolf or ZSS do, when you don't have the frame data or hitboxs they do? I've yet to see anyone address this.

And to put it bluntly, your point is baffling.

Mobility is inherently a good thing. Look I try to be open-minded in these discussion but c'mon.
And I'd like specific counterpoints in relation to Zelda, that aren't just simply repeating over and over again that better mobility will be inherently better or useful for her. I've went into detail using top level play to illustrate why I feel this way.

Gee man, I can't imagine a high speed character using a move like that effectively in a high speed game.
I can't either. It's already pretty much witchcraft for even skilled Zelda players to land the move, I can't imagine adding more variables in play.

99% of the time when you're using lightning kick, it should be a punish tool, not a neutral tool. It's easier to hit a character stuck in endlag.
Which is my point precisely. If her Fair and Bair are out of the question for neutral, how the hell are people thinking she's going to be able to chase and dogfight with better mobility? It isn't as simple as point and shoot even as a punish. Most other tipper and sweet-spot characters have respectable sour-spots that won't get them killed. The punishment for their sweet-spot whiffs, is not getting as good of damage or early of kill, not giving your opponent a free hit most of the time.

Since words aren't getting through to people, how about a practical exercise?

Next time you boot up Ultimate, go into to training mode as Zelda and pick Greninja as your opponent. Set his damage to 70% and try to get D-Tilt -> sweet-spot Fair registered as a true combo. It's not impossible, but you might find you have a lot of difficulty doing so. Why? Because his tumble animation puts his spindly legs in front of him. That makes it much more difficult to land the sweet-spot. Now switch your opponent to Mario and set his damage to 70% and attempt the same thing. Notice how it's much easier to do, to the point you just have to dash into a short hop? Why? Because his giant head is placed right on the edge of the sweet-spot. You can attempt to full hop and still be successful, but it will be much harder because his smaller body is around there. In short, their tumble animation dictates the height and timing.

Keep an eye on how many times you whiff doing this. Now imagine eating Bairs and Fsmashes/Upsmashes doing this. I've labbed D-Tilt -> sweet-spot on multiple characters on multiple percents and you have to make various Y and X axis adjustments when you jump in order to hit various characters with the sweet-spot. That's just one confirm when they're in hitstun. Now try adding DI and various height and hurtbox shifts. Now imagine chasing your opponent in disadvantage, with all the things that come with it like air dodges or attacks that can shift the hurtbox. Sound difficult? Now try adding extra mobility on top of it.

There's a reason why Zelda plays passive most of the time and it's not to annoy you. When you start adding your own momentum into things, that makes the variables more complex. Pay close attention to how many times top Zelda mains whiff the sweet-spot in relation to landing it and in what context they're successful in. I'm going to bet you'll notice a trend in hitting approaching opponents and dropping down from platforms. It's much easier to land it from an immobile position than it is to try to chase or be aggressive with it.

Sometimes a little bit of drift could be the difference between your opponent catching your landing and them not.
It's certainly more useful if you have good retreating options but it's still useful regardless.
So long as you don't add projectiles, certain dash attacks, or moves with lots of range like Belmont Whips.

Bait and punish characters love having good mobility to bait or punish with. Am I right, :4sonic:? Just like how zoners love to be able to run away or quickly punish opponents for trying to avoid or getting hit by their projectiles.
Sure as long as you have safe frame data like Sonic(kill moves). Zelda doesn't have safe or consistent kill moves, which was my point. It's not about catching the character, it's about landing the powerful part of the move.

And wouldn't it be even better to have even more opportunities to use those traits?
There's plenty of opportunities to use those traits. Whether you can land them safely is another story. More mobility also won't help against turtleling opponents in last hit last stock situations, when you have a double digit grab startup. That seems to be a trend for a lot of Zelda players, what to do when you're opponent has nothing to lose and insists that you be the one to approach. You can rack more damage in that situation, but good luck with do or die kill moves.

I'm just saying that poor mobility is a weakness
And I'm saying it depends. Zelda has good initial acceleration on her dash and jump. Those are good for dashing back and Fsmashing or jumping then dropping down to punish commits. As I've explained, Nair isn't good for dogfights, retreating aerials, or contesting attacks. It is however, good for anti-air and starting/continuing combos. Initial acceleration is important for those things, but run speed or aerial drift isn't. You can't use Nair with those aspects of mobility. You can repeat for her other moves. Running across the stage and Fsmashing isn't going to work. Baiting with a dash dance will. Having faster aerial mobility isn't going to change the fact that Up-air is frame 14. Having fast jumps can allow you to punish DJs with it on a read.

We've gotten off track and people are bringing other characters into the fray, but my initial point was that Zelda already has the mobility tools she needs to utilize her kit. Buffing other aspects of her mobility isn't going to change anything, because her actual moves can't take advantage of them. Zelda mains aren't going to change their style on a fundamental level with increased mobility, because the way they currently play is what's optimal for her kit. Not because they have to work around her current mobility, but her frame data and precision doesn't allow aggressive play or "chasing". A fellow Zelda main has tried since release and has finally come to the conclusion that it's simply not possible.

Just like how every character would want a better recovery, even if they don't like to chase opponents offstage. Or how every character would like to have a bit more weight, even if their gameplan doesn't revolve around tanking hits.
Yes, but those are pretty universal. Just like how you would be hard pressed to find a character that suffered from doing increased damage. A better example would be whether giving Snake a sword or Palutena a puppet character would beneficial or change their game play significantly. Like maybe in very specific cases, but it wouldn't be necessary and would just be different. A lot of characters would like that, but not all of them can utilize it. I mean would Ice Climbers benefit from faster run speed, when they have everything from Squall Hammer, to their projectiles? Or rather, would you even see any change in Ice Climbers game plan or them just running around the stage like Mac? Yeah, they can get into position quicker in certain situations, but how often is that necessary?

You're not helping your case by being so needlessly defensive of your character.
I think wasting as much effort as I have detailing her actual weakness, for lots of people who just seem to skim it, should disqualify me from being "needlessly defensive". If anything I'm trying to shine a light on what she actually suffers from, in practice.

Anyway, I'm done with this conversation.
Well, if you're going to run off in a huff without explaining how this would benefit her, like I've been asking that's fine. I would also agree that if a lot of the people replying to my posts, aren't going to bother addressing what I said and asked or put in even a tenth of what I did in explaining my reasoning, in theirs, then yeah we pretty much are going in circles.

My point is that Zelda's frame data and hitboxs will hamper any mobility gains. And I have yet to see anyone give any real reasoning to the contrary. It seems to simply be assumed that faster mobility will always be better, regardless of the kit or whether it can **** up spacing sweet-spots.

Take the grab you just mentioned. Even if you give Zelda Mac ground speed, does that matter when your grab is double digits in startup and has lots of endlag, while your opponent only needs three frames to jump OoS? Like, take Phantom and Din's Fire out of the equation and give Zelda Mac ground speed and ZSS air speed. How would you go about pressuring shields? What moves of Zelda's are safe on shield? I'll answer for you: D-Tilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Jab 1, sour-spot Dair, and fast fall sweet-spot Fair are all safe or mostly safe on shield. Of those, how many do enough shield damage to make the opponent go "Oh ****, I better move"? Fsmash and maybe D-Tilt and Fair. Of those, how many let you do a follow up anti-air or roll punish? Maybe D-Tilt?

It seems like people are separating the moves from the attributes, not acknowledging that they affect each other. ZSS can do what she does, because her aerials are all single digits and auto cancel(except Dair I think). Her grab may be ass, but she can bonk shields pretty easily with minimal to no risk. On the off chance someone decides to pop out of their shell, her incredibly quick combined with no knockback aerials, can combo and pressure very well. Zelda's are the polar opposite of that. Without the mobility, ZSS's aerials aren't as effective, without the frame data that mobility is pointless. Putting Zelda's startup and endlag and general risk on ZSS, would definitely drop her tiers and hamper what she wants to do. Thus, putting that kind of mobility on Zelda with her startup, endlag, general risk, and inability to pressure shields, would be pointless.

It would be wise to remember that Zelda has been straight bottom tier since her inception. That's because she was based entirely around defense and punishes, but had no ability to force approaches, pressure shields, and really make the opponent do anything but sit on the other side of the stage and laugh at her. She isn't fundamentally different now than she was then. The only difference is her down special was revamped to basically be the Swiss Army knife of what she lacked. Phantom is what ties the rest of her kit together and is integral to her play. It's a projectile that requires and cannot store charge however, so that will fundamentally prevent her from flitting around the stage ZSS style or "weaving in and out". By virtue of depending on Phantom, Zelda will not be able to play quick and agile, given Phantom requires a specific spacing and locks her in place during charge, with the relevant endlag.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Myran eliminated at 49th

I mean in that particular MU, Ike had an edge results wise before the nerf even. After the nerf Olimar does not like Ike at all. Its just about everything Olimar hates: giant swinging disjointed hitboxes that destroy pikmin and can keep Olimar out, very high KOing ability including KO confirms, higher weight meaning that he's harder to cheese out with Usmash kills or throws, multiple ways to threaten Olimar's recovery. Oh and if you throw pikmin at the wrong time and Ike is dash attacking it hits Olimar twice for like 24% damage.

Post patch I'd imagine the MU is approaching "nightmareish" for Olimar, as he can't even consistently shield Ike's Nair anymore.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I don't meant to detract from the Low Tier City talk, but... KEN just won a Sumabato SP:

Sumabato SP 6 (320 entrants) (Osaka, Kansai, Japan)

1. KEN :ultsonic:
2. Tea :ultpacman:
3. Ron :ultyoshi::ultmario::ultluigi:
4. Navy :ultluigi:
5. Shuton :ultolimar:
5. Rizasu :ultzelda::ultbrawler::ultshulk::ultmario::ultdoc::ultkirby::ultcloud::ultlittlemac::ultike::ulttoonlink::ultsheik::ultrichter::ultroy::ultzss::ultsnake::ultfalcon::ultpikachu:(jeebus)
7. RAIN :ultwolf:
7. Atelier :ultwolf:
9. DIO :ultsnake:
9. Parne :ultsamus:
9. Abadango :ultinkling::ultwario:
9. Tsumusuto :ultdoc:
13. Bank :ultpacman::ultridley:
13. Zackray :ultwolf: (huh)
13. Kie :ultpeach::ulticeclimbers::ultpalutena:
13. komorikiri :ultwolf::ultike:
17. Gackt :ultness:
17. HIKARU:ultpokemontrainer:
17. Lagnel :ultsnake:
17. OCEAN :ultrob:
17. Oisiitofu :ultgreninja:
17. Paseriman :ultdiddy::ultroy:
17. tk3 :ultchrom:
17. Munekin :ultryu:
25. DoubleA :ultshulk:
25. YOC :ultcloud:
25. Karamiso :ultrobin:
25. Ri-ma :ulttoonlink:
25. Shawazu :ultinkling:
25. Etsuji :ultlucina:
25. Alice :ultroy::ultchrom:
25. Yamanyon :ultzss:

To be honest, I hope this (and Sonido's performances for that matter) clears any doubts about :ultsonic: being anything less than an upper mid tier character, but more importantly, look past the half-baked analysis's that seem to plague the character (i.e. talking about his move not connecting and nothing else). And to think how scary he would be if he had his moves connect... yeesh.

That said, :ultpacman: scores another big win again with Tea placing 2nd, and things are looking up for :ultluigi: now, with Navy placing 4th.

Myran eliminated at 49th

I think it really does boil down to Myran being much more prone to using Olimar's shield compared to the latter two despite the nerfs. This happened at CEO 2019, he tried shielding against Sparg0's falling back aerial, and ended up losing the match. I can honestly understand his frustrations with the shield poking issue (moves will kill Olimar even though the shield looks like it's literally covering him entirely), but compared to Dabuz and Shuton, he really seems to have a much harder time adapting to a more optimal playstyle for the little guy.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Why didn't anyone tell me Charizard's Up B was DLC tier

More substantive edit: Leffen's claim that Charizard was the "worst character in the game" were completely backwards back when he was headlining Pokemon Trainer, and he arguably held the character back.

Pokemon Trainer overall is an extremely good character, and Charizard definitely contributes to that.
Charizard's upB was discussed a bunch of pages back as an excellent OOS and offensive tool, with super armor on frames 4 through 14 and a massive hitbox not to mention crazy KB that's on par if not better than zard's smash attacks.
The in game hints all say that zard's up b is better suited as an offensive move than as a recovery.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
ESAM just got sent to Losers by Sandstorm, the same Ryu/Ken player that sent Myran to Losers.

Pretty good day for the shotos.

EDIT: And ESAM is eliminated at 17th, at the hands of Joker :ultsamus::ultdarksamus: (not the character). Meme :ultyoshi: also sent Light to Losers.

What is with this tournament, why is everything off-stream?

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Geez Boost-Kick is still stupid AF even without ladder combos. It can be confrirmedinto zair? ZSS can still just as easily galactic punt you into the heavens.

Also Meme 2-0 Light offstream. Pretty good day for Yoshi

EDIT Light is also out at 17th, getting eliminated by BestNesss

Fox continues to falter at major events

Last edited:
Top Bottom