• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Patch Project

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh i thought uair was more? Meh bring it to 14. I want it to be better in trap situations without being spammable.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Looks like there's a lot to check out for me regarding Kirby and Mii Swordfighter. Probably gonna play them for a bit to get an impression and see where people are coming from with their suggestions. I know too little about these characters yet.

:059:
After using him more, I changed my mind on nair (not as much of a buff as proposed), the ninja star projectile, or any buffs to Hero's Spin upB. All are quite good. Ike's uair, too.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
Dancing Blade being consistent again (like in Brawl) would be a huge boon. I think a lot of it has to do with active frames being taken off the sweeps of the sword for whatever reason. With DB being consistent at basically every percent on basically every character, in a game with rage scaling better than staling moves? Yeah, kinda dangerous, would be a spike in consistency and power that could easily make him rise several spots in and of itself.

Uair is 16 frames of landing lag, whilst nair is 15, no?

If Dtilt was restored to how it was in Brawl (keep the extra 2 frames of lag, doesn't matter, I mean hitboxes specs/animation) that would be grand... iono what they wanted with the move in this game... I guess it sends pretty far for poking people towards ledges... but it does feel weirdly inadequate. Dtilt -> DB working again is one of those things I've thought about so so many times, can't help but feel an easy 20-25% was something they wanted to avoid, but *diddy kong* [at kill percent]
No offense to you or gheb but shouldn't we be deciding as a community what should be in and what shouldn't? I'm having difficulty understanding how this works. I liked the marth suggestions and others as well but what gives you the authority to decide what's viable to be patched? I could be missing something but this isn't feeling very community oriented.

Raijinken

Smash Master
With the exception of Fair (which isn't a KO move, unlike Diddy's Uair), all other of Palutena's aerial followups from Dthrow are escapeable even at low percents.

Nothing like Diddy's. But carry on.
I didn't mean to imply that they were at Diddy's level, simply that they exist. Fortunately, a friend of mine mains Palutena, so I have plenty of practice escaping her combo.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Gonna say some things about :4dk:.

Big O said some things I like, but since we need such thing as balance, I will put some possible buffs on :4dk:.

*Up B needs to be AC or lagless when perfectly landed as it makes :4dk: already exposed body and poor defensive options worse without it. The move needs to deal heavy damage like it used to (36% if all hit in Melee and Brawl). As a tradeoff, has an easier time to SDI out of it and the last hit doesn't KO as much (maybe an increase on the beginning of the move though).

*The entirety of his smash attacks should be buffed in power. As a heavyweight and a heavy hitter in general, his smash attacks feel a lot weaker without rage on. I have to wait till ~115% to kill Mario when I'm at 0% with uncharged Dsmash. For move that has so much endlag, it should able to kill earlier. Ness's Dsmash horizontally kills at 110%.....his bat... don't get me started.

*Tilts, the most used moves in :4dk: arsenal. They reign on the fact range hurts the opponent. Why are the best damaging and killing (utilt specifically) all lined up with the closest hitbox? Counter intuitive at best.

*Dtilt should have an increased trip rate, but lower BK, and higher KBG. The decreased damage was enough to warrant this. This move has been a lackluster poking tool since 64 and the fact it still ain't great in terms of range...

*Utilt still can't hit from the front, why? Pretty much all of :4dk: forward facing attacks have some crippling flaw to them (jabs don't always connect, grab is garbage, ftilt is easy to punish, Side B is side b, upB is best as a punish, downB is for ground people, dtilt is the only good one really).

*Nair. Unsafe in general. Comes out frame 10 (not an OoS) and hitboxes that are far too small for his size. DK should extend his arms more, thus increasing the range while simultaneously increasing the hurtboxes.

I don't believe you read the entirety of my post. It was not a wishlist of buffs as I added the cons and the reasons why. But if you want further explanation, here goes:

*Why Nair should be fixed is because DK has historically had a terrible way of landing (having to rely on dropped combos or jumping to a platform for safety). DK also lacks a forward approach in the air and for a character as fast DK is in the air without a forward approaching aerial is quite bewildering. This is further exacerbated by the change in ledge mechanics where DK is forced to jump because his other ledge options aren't really usable. Nair is the only move to make the opponent back off from the ledge on DK, but it's too slow and small to be usable in practical and repeated use. Then there's also the fact that it's higly unsafe even on hit.

*UpB doesn't immediately grab the edge like in Brawl, so DK slightly rises in place around the ledge. The DK player is then forced to land on stage hopefully getting the less laggy landing, but is still punished for having a landing that is almost as laggy as the other landing. Overall, UpB got nerfed in damage and utility. It went from being an interesting mix up to a move that is reserved for the sole purpose of recovery. With the reduced damage in DK's Dtilt (setup) and the inconsistency of his jab, racking damage becomes even more of a chore than needed, especially from a character that's combo food.

*The lowered damage in his setups, and lessened setups in general (UpB was one actually) made the usage of his smash attacks more of a risk and the fact they are outclassed by faster, less committed, and in some cases, outranged/stronger moves. This doesn't factor the fact that all, but the Fsmash has severely weakened power and means the overall frequency of usage has become quite alarming. Will, when on the Wii U has pretty much been exclusively using DK's Uair as his main option of killing. DK, a heavy, should have more abundant options that don't take a serious commitment. Look at Bowser's Bair and utilt and Koopa Grab. In general, DK takes more commitment to get a kill. In Brawl, it just wasn't as tedious. This sounds like a problem for Mario, not DK.

*Tilts:
+Ftilt: Good range, horrible up close. Considering that it outranges swords, no problem.
+Utilt: For some reason this move doesn't hit in front and the strongest hitboxes are are aligned with close range. The fact this move is very unsafe on block, up close isn't really an option unless a great read is made. In front of him, hitboxes are too scarce. For a character that suffers up close and in front of him (even with aerials) at least make this adjustment. He legitimately has just 3 moves in front of him Dtilt, Ftilt, Jab.
+Dtilt: Less range than Ftilt, and an average/poor poke. The lessened damage (and in turn shield damage) means the shield stabbing (pokes are supposed to be fast low, low range and decent shield damage) means the overall effectiveness is by and large lessened. If the trip rate of this move is increased (the only redeeming factor of this subpar poke), the utility of this move goes up. Now if BK is lowered on this move, followups at low percent (when the move is most useful), will be able to combo into other options other than the bad grab or down b. The increase in KBG is for the gimping factor. I don't see an intense increase in KBG to make this move more useful for off the edge opponents, but a decent one. We don't need a Luigi Brawl utilt situation (so low BK, but high KBG leading to great low percent combos, but also a good kill option in later ones).

I believe this should suffice as explanation.
I disagree with some of these.

Giving DKs upB more damage and making it easier to escape is a bad thing for DK, because everyone will just be escaping then (at least in competitive play), making the attack more useless and maybe even more unsafe on hit. I'd rather deal 10 % than doing 5 and they SDI out and maybe even punish me after (or at least DK won't even be in a favorable position).

Nair already is a great tool in my experience. It's great to edgeguard or to just have a move that hits everywhere. If you want to help his aerial and landing game, they should probably buff his aerial downB a little, since that move is pretty much useless/never used. (like decreasing the landing- and endinglag by a lot, make the hits be able to connect better into each other, a little less startup for the first hit - these things would probably help the move a lot, and maybe it will be useful then... depending on how much it would be changed. If it's just a little, then it will still be useless since it's outclassed by a mile from bair/nair or even dair/uair/fair. Not even the Breverse is useful since you can do the same with sideB...)

Also his grab is pretty good (he might not have combos out of it (sometimes cargo utoss uair), but his grabrange isn't as bad as that from most of the cast, which makes this a very good tool).

As for the others, yeah, but buffing so much for DK is overdoing it lol.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace

Giving DKs upB more damage and making it easier to escape is a bad thing for DK, because everyone will just be escaping then (at least in competitive play), making the attack more useless and maybe even more unsafe on hit. I'd rather deal 10 % than doing 5 and they SDI out and maybe even punish me after (or at least DK won't even be in a favorable position).

Nair already is a great tool in my experience. It's great to edgeguard or to just have a move that hits everywhere. If you want to help his aerial and landing game, they should probably buff his aerial downB a little, since that move is pretty much useless/never used. (like decreasing the landing- and endinglag by a lot, make the hits be able to connect better into each other, a little less startup for the first hit - these things would probably help the move a lot, and maybe it will be useful then... depending on how much it would be changed. If it's just a little, then it will still be useless since it's outclassed by a mile from bair/nair or even dair/uair/fair. Not even the Breverse is useful since you can do the same with sideB...)

Also his grab is pretty good (he might not have combos out of it (sometimes cargo utoss uair), but his grabrange isn't as bad as that from most of the cast, which makes this a very good tool).

I agree too but if I were to give DK any buff I think I would make his nair hitbox a tad bigger. It's the only thing that stands out to me really.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

Look at Brawl DK. His upB was SDI able yet it still punished sidestepping and rolling fools heavy. Nair is nowhere near the tool it needs to be considering the moves you listed aren't omni directional. Anyway, aerial down b is bad beyond the start up and end lag issue (though it could help it possibly). Brawl DK (will often be used as comparison) had a fair risk/reward ratio and wasn't so tedious for killing with him, yet now it's more of a risk than anything to use DK in general. It's just not rewarding to play a character that's supposed to be killing around low 100s, with and without range, kill at 130+. The already small shield and poor sidestep means that DK will on the offensive or at least turtling for an existence. Dealing with pressure has been a problem for DK since day 1 and since his best OoS options have horrible shield stun, it's not outside the realm of imagination that this character should be balanced by having powerful moves (especially since having no projectile is a thing).

Even landing some of his kill moves aren't redeemable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7mdnrtZK7Q#t=293 If the link doesn't work, C&P in the address bar. DK used to grab edge when he punched near edge, but nah, we are so balanced now without it.
In summary: DK has faster options than most heavies, not necessarily OoS level. Lack of OoS=easy shield pressure. Easy shield pressure=reads are needed for kills. Reads needed for kills mean that character in question has power for the read for kills. If character lacks them, then they aren't given a fair risk/reward ratio.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Just a few comments on some of the characters I play:
:4gaw:: Needs less lag on collecting levels one and two of Oil Panic. I understand why they gave it the lag it has, since the point of the move is to be a slow but powerful counterattack. However, it's really, really dumb that a character can use a laggy projectile from across the stage and punish Game & Watch for using the move. Assuming the frame data for the move is unchanged from Brawl (if it is changed, it's not by much), it takes 72 frames for him to act after collecting a projectile. That's just atrocious. After collecting the third level he has 36 frames, but a lot of that is covered by invincibility frames which makes it less of an issue. It's just too risky for him to use the move at higher percentages, especially since his weight is so low. I propose lowering the lag on collecting the first two levels to 48 frames. With that, the first half is covered by invincibility but still gives him time to be punished. It'll mainly just make the move safer to use at a distance; that's still perfectly punishable at close range.

He also needs some sort of a buff to his UTilt. The move has been bad since Melee. Its range is very narrow and using NAir, UAir, or even USmash is usually a better option. The move now hits very, very slightly in front of him for 7% and leading to the second hit (which also does 7%) but its usages are still very niche. If you give the move more range in front or increase the damage slightly on the second hit, it would be much more valuable (although still mostly outclassed tbh).

:4villager:: Villager's mostly a solid character aside from a few of his attacks being somewhat unsafe at lower percentages. His UTilt has a bigger problem with this than most, though. It hits twice, but the first hit has so little hitstun that if it connects at the beginning of the animation (it seems to be out a decent time) then opponents can often jump out, airdodge, or even input an attack before the second hit comes out (I've had a Lucina use Counter in between the two hits against me lol). All the move really needs is a slight increase in hitstun, if possible, to make this either impossible or less likely.

His grab also needs to come out a little quicker. Not sure but it's definitely one of the slowest grabs in the game, coming out on frame 16. I'd be okay with frame 12; it's still slow but it would make it better at grabbing people from their shields. It's not like he gets much reward from his grabs anyway besides killing with BThrow at high percents (~140%)

:4bowserjr:: FIX HIS JAB. Please, for everything that is good about the character, fix his jab. The move is just terrible. There is a massive delay in between the first two hits and the rapid jab combo in which most anyone with a brain can escape. The rapid jab combo itself is really inconsistent at linking to the end; small characters usually can escape with no trouble (larger characters can too but it's harder and depends on where they are when the move starts). If they escape they can often punish Bowser Jr. for using it since the move has appreciable endlag. The move needs two fixes: to lessen the time between the initial hits and to make the rapid jab better at linking to the end. Obviously some characters will be able to escape anyway, and that's fine (most rapid jab combos are escapable some of the time in this game). But having a Samus-level initial jab isn't worth it. Even Samus's jab1 has enough knockback to make it decent at higher percents; his has no redeeming qualities (except being a kill move close to the edge at high percents but good luck actually getting that killing blow in).

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No offense to you or gheb but shouldn't we be deciding as a community what should be in and what shouldn't? I'm having difficulty understanding how this works. I liked the marth suggestions and others as well but what gives you the authority to decide what's viable to be patched? I could be missing something but this isn't feeling very community oriented.
I'm only bouncing off thoughts on other people's ideas. If at a base we generally agree that moves designed to link into each other (i.e. multi hit moves) should actually link into each other (max range shuffle inputs out aside) then I would say it's safe that DB is listed but any other buffs are dangerous because of how GOOD that move can be.

I have a zillion ideas about how to make Marth a boss again that stray from EL and they're kinda QoL stuff (auto cancels being adjusted). I've yet to actually make a post that I would consider a contribution to the 'patch' :p
All of EL's suggestions were completely reasonable, I'm just discussing them with him~

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Anyways, why aren't you and ChronoPenguin assisting the Swordfighter Thread? I know he/she is terrible but we can still try to make him "viable" with what we have.
He's not confirmed terrible. No one has done the actual MU's and I mean *really* done the MU's not "well my character has this and he's awesome and SF seems to be crap so we win 70:30". No ones gone through percieved top tiers vs SF and seen if he has counter-meta significance.

However there are parts of his kit that are lacking, there are specials (and this is not unique to him) that straight up don't seem to work correctly. You can't ignore UP1's damage problems. I've been trying with tall and short Mii's it doesn't fix itself. Shuriken is a decent projectile that stops being applicable once chakram is up on the board. Because Chakram is useful compared to Airborne Assault and Slash Launcher, it forces Shuriken out.
Because Blurred Blade isn't practical, it puts emphasis on Shuriken and Gale, but Gale isn't that great and Shuriken is redundant with Chakram. Problems.

I personally feel that Cape makes him viable given its edgeguard significance. That alone should put some match ups as even or even an advantage to him in tandem with his disjoints.
I'll be sure to bring my Isaac and Dunban Swordfighter thoughts to the subforum.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
He's not confirmed terrible. No one has done the actual MU's and I mean *really* done the MU's not "well my character has this and he's awesome and SF seems to be crap so we win 70:30". No ones gone through percieved top tiers vs SF and seen if he has counter-meta significance.

However there are parts of his kit that are lacking, there are specials (and this is not unique to him) that straight up don't seem to work correctly. You can't ignore UP1's damage problems. I've been trying with tall and short Mii's it doesn't fix itself. Shuriken is a decent projectile that stops being applicable once chakram is up on the board. Because Chakram is useful compared to Airborne Assault and Slash Launcher, it forces Shuriken out.
Because Blurred Blade isn't practical, it puts emphasis on Shuriken and Gale, but Gale isn't that great and Shuriken is redundant with Chakram. Problems.

I personally feel that Cape makes him viable given its edgeguard significance. That alone should put some match ups as even or even an advantage to him in tandem with his disjoints.
I'll be sure to bring my Isaac and Dunban Swordfighter thoughts to the subforum.
Good points across the board. I spent little time analyzing Up1. The move lacks Ike's Super Armor and Kirby's Projectile so I never use it. It fast though. I will get it that. If you can teach me to land the meteor smash I will be glad to use it again haha. Otherwise, I will stick with Up2.

Chakram is too good for its own good. I wish it was a Neutral Special and hold in the opposite direction will enable its trap move. I surprised you guys actually use Shuriken. You cannot jump and approach properly with it. Opponent needs to be as tall as Bowser to hit anything when perform such task. The gimmick on "most optimal damage and flinch" from a distance is moot when you have Chakram is does more damage and flinches regardless of position.

Gale might not be great but I love this move. Multiple hits at beginning phrase of the move, rends most projectile useless (only full charge shots can beat it), travel quite the distance, wind push back effect, and pops the opponent up. As mention before, its ending lag is what ruins this move. If it is too good then a lot of recovery time to balance it.

Agreed on Blurred Blade. It will nice if it carried at least one of Shield Breaker's effect - Full Charge can cause Horizontal Movement in that direction in the Air or Shield Breaking.

Yes, that will good to see character builds there. Also, participate in the Custom Move discussion.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The Mii Swordfighter's up special move, Stone Scabbard, appears to make the Mii intangible during the beginning of the move. However, the time period when the Mii is intangible during the move is small, so it's hard to take advantage of that.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
On the subject of Mii Fighters, how about some QoL fixes for setup? Right now they seem like a rather big headache for tournaments thanks to height/weight and the fact that you can't check or edit those variables in-game. Right now you have to close the game and go to Mii Maker even just to check, which is ridiculous.
  • Add preset Miis (based on the ones already in their art) with middle height/weight and 1111 specials. If tournaments end up banning all customization, these are defaults ready to go. Also no reason why they couldn't be allowed online, right?
  • Allow those preset Miis to use the custom move shortcut menu I suggested earlier when customization is turned on. If the rules end up being moves yes height/weight no, that solves that.
  • Put height/weight sliders right in the customize menu so that you can check and edit them in-game. This is the most important thing, especially if they don't do the presets because then you need some other way way to make sure every setup has usable Miis on it and know what their height/weight is.
And back to other characters:
  • Revert Judge to its old behavior of never repeating the last two numbers drawn. Why did they get rid of that? Getting three 9s in a row is absurd, and so is getting three 1s in a row. That restriction kept the RNG from getting too ridiculous, and it was nice having some degree of predictability if you kept track.
  • Kirby's Olimar copy power needs nerfing. This is quite possibly the most awful matchup in the game and I felt really bad for the poor Olimar main who couldn't do anything about the fact that my Pikmin are 10x better than his. It's just wrong.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I kind of want to bring up :4tlink: into this discussion. I feel he could use some straight up love.

*Toon Links Fair, bair, and Nair seem to just whiff a lot. Nair seems the most reliable of the 3. The rest seem to miss when they should be hitting. The fair and bair lag a bit to much. It would be nice if they were reduced, then it would help Tink out a lot. Though making his aerial hitboxes a bit more consistent would be great.

*Toon Links down air should be changed back to Pogo. In its current form it's just useless. It's risk does not justify the reward. The only time it ever really comes out, is from a miss input. The damage isn't high enough to justify using it just to cause damage. Using it to edgeguard is risky as hell, because most likely, you're gonna miss and get beat on. There's no point in having it spike, since if you are trying to spike with it, you are just going to kill yourself.

More on his aerials: His aerials in their current state, are really useless. The only way to get any use out of them, is to follow up with an aerial after a bomb during mid percentage. That's like a two hit string, assuming that your aerials decide to even land properly and if they don't, prepare to get punched in the face cus they lag like hell in comparison to other characters.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I was thinking of this suggestion for Ganondorf:

Give his U-Tilt super armor that acts like Little Mac's Straight Lunge. Throughout the entire move and animation, ganondorf cannot be flinched, and opponents have to get out of the way as soon as possible. Due to the ledge mechanics, this move would be a risky/high reward option since U-tilt has a huge hitbox that hits below the edge, behind ganondorf, and around the explosion, this would force opponents to due one of two options:

1. Get up at the right timing
2. Drop off the edge and regrab the edge.

This change can put the opponent in a bad position as the opponent no longer gains the invinsibility when they regrab the edge.

RODO

Smash Ace
I'm only bouncing off thoughts on other people's ideas. If at a base we generally agree that moves designed to link into each other (i.e. multi hit moves) should actually link into each other (max range shuffle inputs out aside) then I would say it's safe that DB is listed but any other buffs are dangerous because of how GOOD that move can be.

I have a zillion ideas about how to make Marth a boss again that stray from EL and they're kinda QoL stuff (auto cancels being adjusted). I've yet to actually make a post that I would consider a contribution to the 'patch' :p
All of EL's suggestions were completely reasonable, I'm just discussing them with him~
I guess I just figured everything that is suggested would be recorded and then we would all vote on it but it seems that things are being cherry picked by one or two people from the suggestions that are being brought forth. I've never been a part of a thread like this so I'm not quite sure how it works. I'm just trying to figure out the process behind the project I suppose :p

sharpman5000

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-1852-6914
*Edit* Jumped the gun a little quick, added my reasonings. ^^

Well, if I may suggest...

Characters

Ike - Change the animation of his F-Air to that of Brawl, and extend the reach just ever so slightly.
No real reason for the animation change, it just looks nice, but extending the range of this move would, at least in my opinion, help out with characters that can easily pressure him. (Rob, Link, ect.) Now I'm not saying he should be able to reach out and touch something, just enough range to feel a bit more confidant in those match ups.

Samus - Have Bombs (default Bombs) explode on contact, lower damage a tad bit. Decrease startup and decrease ending lag (slightly) on F-Tilt.
I feel as though since her bombs don't explode on contact, it hurts her defensive game/mixups quite a bit... There's no solid way to deal with fast characters, seeing as her Neutral B has too much lag to pressure with, and opponents can rush straight through bombs... Seeing as her range game was heavily nerfed, I propose these ideas to just give her a fighting chance when it comes to close quarters.

Marth/Lucina - Increase F-Smash range slightly, extend ending lag slightly.
It just feels like you have to get too close to close out a stock, which from what I've gathered from playing marth, doesn't fit his play style. I find you really have to play him with a bit of elegance, compared to that of Melee, (since his combo game isn't as big now) and choose your strikes wisely. Extending the reach of F-Smash just a small amount would help his game without breaking him.

Global Changes

Increase ending lag on rolling. (Just a little) To give a little leniency to less skilled players who have trouble dealing with people who abuse it.
Change air dodging to allow only 1 dodge per air state. (Does not send to helpless) This would force players to choose wisely when to dodge, instead of just abusing it as with rolling.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Any thoughts on doing anything to further differentiate Dark Pit from Pit? Having only 3 moves with any differences is pretty disappointing, because I do like the character and wish he could be more. Was hoping they'd do something with 1.0.4, but nope. I know anything involving new animations is obviously out of the question, but changing move properties should be reasonable. I'd like to see him Ganondorf-ified, make him a slower heavier powerhouse.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Any thoughts on doing anything to further differentiate Dark Pit from Pit? Having only 3 moves with any differences is pretty disappointing, because I do like the character and wish he could be more. Was hoping they'd do something with 1.0.4, but nope. I know anything involving new animations is obviously out of the question, but changing move properties should be reasonable. I'd like to see him Ganondorf-ified, make him a slower heavier powerhouse.
I think you're looking at Dark Pit the wrong way. He's not supposed to be a separate character, he's the other half of Pit.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
And Ness isn't supposed to know PK Fire, Robin isn't supposed to know Nosferatu unless he reclasses, Olimar is supposed to have more than 3 Pikmin, Lucina isn't supposed to have a similar fighting style to Marth, the dog and duck are not supposed to be allies, and Dr. Mario is supposed to literally be the same person. Lore be damned.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And Ness isn't supposed to know PK Fire, Robin isn't supposed to know Nosferatu unless he reclasses, Olimar is supposed to have more than 3 Pikmin, Lucina isn't supposed to have a similar fighting style to Marth, the dog and duck are not supposed to be allies, and Dr. Mario is supposed to literally be the same person. Lore be damned.
Ness? Paula taught him.
Robin? So he has all the magic types from FEA.
Olimar is for sanity and balance. Three lemmings is still alot for a fighter.
Lucina is supposed to resemble Marth and is a last-minute clone.

Dark Pit manages to have both an interesting mechanic and stay in cannon. I'll take it.

Also, this isn't a wishlist. This is for fixing unintentional aspects of characters that hinders them. Dark Pit is both fully functional and intentionally made this way. 'Sides, I think the DP mains will be heard before those who don't play as him.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I have neither the eloquence or the knowledge to even begin to orchestrate how to start, but what could be done to "fix" Zelda. By most accounts shes awful, and from personal experience it feels like she does nothing "well".

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I have neither the eloquence or the knowledge to even begin to orchestrate how to start, but what could be done to "fix" Zelda. By most accounts shes awful, and from personal experience it feels like she does nothing "well".
General consensus is that she's more for FFAs then 1v1s. She's still good for teams, isn't she?

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
:4zss:needs nerf on up airs or up b, I can't tell you how well this works on other characters, but when a z suit grabs me and i'm above 10% down throw into up airs into up b will kill me ending at around 50 or 40 percent, it's nuts.

D

Deleted member

Surprised not many people have brought up :4gaw: yet. I feel like even though he received a few buffs such as faster f-tilt and a new dash attack, he still needs a LOT of help. Prepare for a wall of text (and a bit of personal opinions here and there).

Firstly and fore mostly, I want to talk about his B-air. It was bad enough that the total damage of this move (if all hits connect) was decreased from 15% in brawl to 9% currently, but it's landing lag has been doubled. Yes, doubled, from 12 frames in brawl to 24 frames now. I'm not one to complain about things like this, but they basically butchered this move to make it unusable in most situations. In a broad sense, this attack is no-where near as good as it used to be. Some changes I would like to see happen to this move would be to bump the damage up by 4% (giving each of the 4 hits 1% more damage, which would be fair since it has one less hit than before) and reduce its landing lag to at least 16 frames (it is way too easy to punish this move with 24 frames of landing lag).

Next, I want to bring up his smash attacks and their power. His smash attacks as a whole have been cut down, which is not good at all, considering G&W is a 'glass cannon' type of character that relies on strong attacks to make up for his light-weight (he's literally the 2nd lightest character in the game, next to Jigglypuff).

I'll begin with his F-smash. Sure, if it's charged fully it can pack a punch, but if it's uncharged, you can't kill normal characters until about +120%. Also, if you hit your opponent with the sour-spot (which makes up the whole 'stick' of the torch), it deals noticeably less knockback and damage, and most characters can survive until 130-150%. I'd like to add that the lingering hitbox (the flame, post-attack) was also removed, greatly hindering the usage of the move as both an edge-guarding tool and a tool for punishing dodges. I'll try not to be too biased when stating my personal changes (I am a G&W main after all, lol), but the lingering hitbox should return ASAP. It wasn't 'overpowered' at all, and from what I've seen it was used quite effectively when punishing approaches and keeping opponents at bay. If it were to be re-added into the game, being able to counter approaches would be much easier. I would also increase the knockback of both the sour and sweet spots, thus giving it more potential killing power (not trying to force the 'glass cannon' aspect, but his killing power being taken away is a MAJOR complaint amongst most G&W players).

Moving on to D-smash. Personally, I have little to no complaints about this move; it has decent killing power and great range (even better range than it had in brawl) as a whole. However, my one pet peeve about this move is how quickly the move's hitbox ends. In simple words, the hitbox comes and goes really fast, leaving G&W open to a plethora of counter attacks after using it. To fix this, perhaps an 'earthquake' effect could happen after the move is activated (ie: the ground surrounding the hammer heads has a hitbox which dies out shortly after the attack initiates). This would encourage opponents to keep a distance and carefully approach instead of just walking away from the attack like it's nothing. Plus, the attack already has quite a bit of ending lag, so it would be helpful if you were in close quarters with your opponent.

U-smash is okay as it is, it's a little weaker than D-smash but still gets the job done. The range is lack-luster compared to others' U-smashs though.

Finally, I'll end with a few minor complaints, but they're still worth mentioning. First of all, oil panic has way too much ending lag after collecting a projectile (a 72 whooping frames). As Kofu mentioned, the lag being reduced to something like 48 would be fair for both sides, opposing and defending. Secondly, G&W's jab needs to come out faster after it first hits. It is absolutely irrational that most characters can counter his jab with a N-air at low percents, considering that characters without a rapid jab don't suffer from the same issue (side samus, at least from what I've read). Lastly, U-tilt needs a greater range horizontally. It's good that it has a second hit, but the second hit doesn't even connect after around 20%. To top that off, it can't hit opponents unless they are almost overlapping G&W's hurtbox or if they're overhead, crippling its use greatly.

Again, I apologize for the wall of text, or if a few of my ideas don't make sense, but G&W is not the character he used to be. He's been nerfed overall, and most of the attributes like killing power and damage-racking that made him great before were taken away. Any critique or responses to my ideas are much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Surprised not many people have brought up :4gaw: yet. I feel like even though he received a few buffs such as faster f-tilt and a new dash attack, he still needs a LOT of help. Prepare for a wall of text (and a bit of personal opinions here and there).

Firstly and fore mostly, I want to talk about his B-air. It was bad enough that the total damage of this move (if all hits connect) was decreased from 15% in brawl to 9% currently, but it's landing lag has been doubled. Yes, doubled, from 12 frames in brawl to 24 frames now. I'm not one to complain about things like this, but they basically butchered this move to make it unusable in most situations. In a broad sense, this attack is no-where near as good as it used to be. Some changes I would like to see happen to this move would be to bump the damage up by 4% (giving each of the 4 hits 1% more damage, which would be fair since it has one less hit than before) and reduce its landing lag to at least 16 frames (it is way too easy to punish this move with 24 frames of landing lag).

Next, I want to bring up his smash attacks and their power. His smash attacks as a whole have been butchered, which is not good at all, considering G&W is a 'glass cannon' type of character that relies on strong attacks to make up for his light-weight (he's literally the 2nd lightest character in the game, next to Jigglypuff).

I'll begin with his F-smash. Sure, if it's charged fully it can pack a punch, but if it's uncharged, you can't kill normal characters until about +120%. Also, if you hit your opponent with the sour-spot (which makes up the whole 'stick' of the torch), it deals noticeably less knockback and damage, and most characters can survive until 130-150%. I'd like to add that the lingering hitbox (the flame, post-attack) was also removed, greatly hindering the usage of the move as both an edge-guarding tool and punishing dodges. I'll try not to be too biased when stating my personal changes (I am a G&W main after all, lol), but the lingering hitbox should return ASAP. It wasn't 'overpowered' at all, and from what I've seen it was used quite effectively when punishing approaches and keeping opponents at bay. If it were to be re-added into the game, being able to counter approaches would be much easier. I would also increase the knockback of both the sour and sweet spots, thus giving it more potential killing power (not trying to force the 'glass cannon' aspect, but his killing power being taken away is a MAJOR complaint amongst most G&W players).

Moving on to D-smash. Personally, I have little to no complaints about this move; it has decent killing power and great range (even better range than it had in brawl) as a whole. However, my one pet peeve about this move is how quickly the move's hitbox ends. In simple words, the hitbox comes and goes really fast, leaving G&W open to a plethora of counter attacks after using it. To fix this, perhaps an 'earthquake' effect could happen after the move is activated (ie: the ground surrounding the hammer heads has a hitbox which dies out shortly after the attack initiates). This would encourage opponents to keep a distance and carefully approach instead of just walking away from the attack like it's nothing. Plus, the attack already has quite a bit of ending lag, so it would be helpful if you were in close quarters with your opponent.

U-smash is okay as it is, it's a little weaker than D-smash but still gets the job done.

Finally, I'll end with a few minor complaints, but they're still worth mentioning. First of all, oil panic has way too much ending lag after collecting a projectile (a 72 whooping frames). As Kofu mentioned, the lag being reduced to something like 48 would be fair for both sides, opposing and defending. Secondly, G&W's jab needs to come out faster after it first hits. It is absolutely irrational that most characters can counter his jab with a N-air at low percents, considering that characters without a rapid jab don't suffer from the same issue (side samus, at least from what I've read). Lastly, U-tilt needs a greater range horizontally. It's good that it has a second hit, but the second hit doesn't even connect after around 20%. To top that off, it can't hit opponents unless they are almost overlapping G&W's hurtbox or if they're overhead, crippling its use greatly.

Again, I apologize for the wall of text, or if a few of my ideas don't make sense, but G&W is not the character he used to be. He's been nerfed overall, and most of the attributes like killing power and damage-racking that made him great before were taken away. Any critique or responses to my ideas are much appreciated.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Does GW still get the invincibility upon absorbing a projectile? That was used greatly by teams and would be similar to pocket.

Luigi also faced a similar (and possibly larger) nerf. All of his killing moves are just despicable. I would provide a wall of text explaining/detailing why he's so bad now, but currently, my Wii U is on ice, and I don't find Luigi fun, hence lack of playing him.

D

Deleted member

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Does GW still get the invincibility upon absorbing a projectile? That was used greatly by teams and would be similar to pocket.

Luigi also faced a similar (and possibly larger) nerf. All of his killing moves are just despicable. I would provide a wall of text explaining/detailing why he's so bad now, but currently, my Wii U is on ice, and I don't find Luigi fun, hence lack of playing him.
I believe G&W still has invincibility after absorbing a projectile, but it's nothing special since the invincibility only lasts mid-way through the ending-lag. In other words, he's still open as if the invincibility isn't even there.

It's a cold world out there for G&W mains; some people are over confident with G&W and others rat him down as if he's trash.

As for Luigi, he still has some potential from what I've seen. He got a few buffs in 1.0.4 which is nice, but I can understand why it's hard to land kills with him at times. Also I'm not a huge tournament-oriented person, but I've heard he's been getting some attention recently over his down-grab.

Last edited by a moderator:

shapular

Smash Ace
Wii Fit Trainer: Make Deep Breathing's effects last about 5 seconds longer (it currently lasts about 8 seconds). As is, this move doesn't really accomplish its purpose. To actually activate it, WFT needs plenty of room, which either means your opponent is all the way across the stage or WFT is falling back to the stage. In either case, just getting to your opponent takes a few seconds (they don't have to approach at all), after which you have to actually land a hit. The problem is that WFT can't approach well, and the remaining time (~5 seconds) often isn't enough time to bait your opponent into a hit. From what I've read and seen, most WFTs aren't using this move much anymore, instead opting to charge Sun Salutation during downtime.

Zelda: I'm going to suggest something a bit different from what everybody else is saying. To me, Zelda's main problem is Din's Fire. It's meant to be a projectile used to force approaches. The problem is that often your opponent can oblige by running right past it at you, and the move has so much endlag that Zelda might not be able to do anything about it. I usually correct for this by stopping it a bit in front of my opponent, but then that makes it more of a keepaway projectile than an approach-forcing projectile. I don't think it matters how good the explosion itself is as long as the opponent doesn't want to get hit by it. If it can accomplish its goal of making the opponent approach and Zelda can react to that approach properly, then it'll be good enough.

I'd rather the C-stick keep charging smashes, but the way it works in the air should be fixed.
If we're talking about multi-hit moves connecting properly, then all the hits of Yoshi's dair should be guaranteed to hit every time.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
:4zss:needs nerf on up airs or up b, I can't tell you how well this works on other characters, but when a z suit grabs me and i'm above 10% down throw into up airs into up b will kill me ending at around 50 or 40 percent, it's nuts.
No way, that's a horrid idea. It's incredibly easy to DI out of that move and it's a very high risk move for ZSS (leaves you helpless). ZSS I feel is actually one of the more balanced out characters. Every character should be as good as she is, don't bring her down.

My only chief areas of concern characterwise lie with Diddy Kong. He just seems way too strong for his simple stuff. Lower the uair damage/KB by a pretty good amount. Make his nair come out a little bit slower (seriously this move is insanely good for how fast it is, how easy to hit it is, and for how low the recovery time on landing is). I don't really know what but change the banana too. Maybe make it have a hard cooldown between uses or something to that effect.

What would be amazing to see mechanics-wise would be a changing of the angling of f-throws so that they go more diagonally downward into the ground (kinda like how they do in earlier games). Basically I really wish that more throws than D-throw were useful outside killing. As it is, unless the throw pops them up or kills them, it's pretty much useless and a worse option. It would be amazing to have throws that could cause a tech chase. Take Marth for example (whose animation doesn't match the KB at all but I digress). If his Fthrow worked like it did in earlier titles it would seriously make his gameplay so much more interesting. There would be a lot more interplay between the two players (thrower and thrown) and sets up for the crazy read situations that have defined Smash.

Other than that, ever so slightly more hitstun and airspeed please. Just a bit.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I know we should be bringing other characters up instead of dragging the top tiers down, but is there a way to make it so that fighting Sonic isn't a complete chore?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup Gheb, got a little suggestion that may or may not have been suggested before:

:4dedede: & :4kirby:'s Inhale at their relatively close range should be able to suck in a grounded opponent sitting in shield, aka Inhale should be unblockable.

Why: Inhale has no reward if the opponent can simply press the shield button avoiding the vortex-grab no matter how close you are to them, & you'll be punished for it guaranteed; whether you're against them or playing as them, the Inhale you thought would work to lead to Copying Ability or the spit attack, is now compromised the moment they put up shield, leaving you with 2 unfavorable choices:
  1. Let go of the B button & accept your punishment grab / jab / tilt / smash / special
  2. Wait it out hoping they'll make a mistake, or they roll behind you & punish you accordingly. Bubble shields deplete very slowly so waiting it out is delaying the inevitable
I usually didn't find this as an issue because I never spoke up about it, but the fact that every command grab bypasses shields, I don't see why Inhale can't share this. For some reason I felt that the current way Inhale worked was okay, but because every character in the cast possesses a good frame roll, one can simply run up to a landing Inhale, dash-cancel into shield, & roll behind for a easy peasy punish. Any mix-up worthy Inhales players would try netting success with get shut down & require hard reads, but even then one can strategically roll into the Inhale's path & still be able to put up shield & roll away once more given their strategic roll was far away enough from the vortex, leaving your hard-read Inhale useless.

This seems like no big deal, & that Inhales have the wind-box property assisting in getting the vortex-grab, but shield says no.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
:4marth: :4lucina: :4myfriends:

These characters should be able to carry their momentum from a standing grab and spot dodge like all other characters.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Pac-Man's F-Air should autocancel on the IASA frame instead of worlds later. SH F-Air -> N-Air would be supplemented by SH F-Air -> fastfall -> Jab/Grab in a way that would expand his lacking pressure game without giving him any huge strides.

Ledge trumping should not be avoidable by buffering Ledge Roll/Ledge Jump/Ledge Attack. It defeats the purpose and largely hurts offensive potential for many characters.

Grab-releases should not induce the 60-frame grab immunity. In the current state of things, if you manage to mash out of a grab, there is basically no incentive to not hold Shield, since you can't be grabbed.

Last edited:

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
Some MK buff/"fixes":

• Fix the animations to actually match the hitboxes
  • Sh fair should not give make him suffer landing lag. Decrease endlag on this move a few frames. Even :4myfriends: can SH fair laglessly now.
  • D tilt at low percents is a gamble. If it trips, you get a free grab or dash attack. If it doesn't, then you can actually get punished on hit for it. Increase hitstun slightly
:4diddy:- nerf some of the damage on his moves, uair needs to deal less knockback. D throw should be left alone.
:4miibrawl:- Make the lighter brawlers way lighter. There is little reason not to use the lights over the heavies atm. This goes for miis in general.
:4ganondorf:- Give light armor to his side B
:4dedede:- Up B should break shields more reliably.
:4drmario:- Increase the height that his down B can give him.
:4greninja:- Buff down B, it's nigh-useless. Give it less ending lag.

Non-character specific: Give normal ledge getups more ending lag, or give them more vulnerability frames. There is about 1-2 frames of vulnerability to them, you can act immediately after the invincibility ends.

Last edited:

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman
:4zelda:

Din's Fire ~ it needs to have weak hitboxes while it travel because it's gotten to where it's super situation. It's super predictable and its to slow to actually hit someone. It can't force an approuch since most moves can cancel it out and it's easy to shield. With hitboxes and it can make the opponent approuch and it would help her approuch too. Also make it that she won't go into free fall after it since we probably won't use it airborn anyways and mis clicking it loses one stock

Phantom slash ~ please make it chargable because it will be reliable and we can have an instant strong projectile. It's almost impossible charging it while ur opponent can attack or punish u.

Top Bottom