• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
prog is really good at commentating

then he starts doing this "hurr is this wanted you wanted from ___"

he seems to almost get too full of himself or something and decides to really **** up the stream(unintentionally i assume)

ESPECCIALLY when multiple hundreds/thousands are watching you, you can't just start rolling back to 09 where the ******ry belongs.

this is 2012

QERB

Banned via Warnings
prog and d1 make a good combo, good balance of entertainment and informative commentary.
i like hearing dj's smash-terms and goofiness for sure, always fun.
Wobbles/Dogy/Wife = strong informative commentary, also good.
Phil+HMW = legendary hype commentary.

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks guys, if only we didn't have to deal w/ the situation we had to deal w/ this weekend things probably would've been more entertaining on the stream. For the record, I will put myself on blast and say (on the mic) I wasn't feeling it at first, but later on I tried to get into the swing of things. I feel like I've been away from smash for too long and b/c of that its sorta hurting my commentary making me only want to try to fill in the hype man role. The only problem is I hate screaming too loud into the mic unexpectedly...which is why for the most part during ROM when I saw a hype *** match I rallied the NYC crew and we started going nuts off mic in the crowd. I wish I can go into "anything goes" mode on the mic but there's a certain level of professionalism I must exhibit or I won't be allowed back on the mic.

Anywho thanks for the props guys, I still need to keep consistently commentating to get my stuff ironed out by the time Apex comes. My main commentary partner's gonna be Dogy, so I guess I might as well start practicing color commentary more often while I'm with Prog at numerous events.

Prog COME TO NEC :D! Also we'll definitely try to get all your fave commentators to hop on the mic during Apex 2013 since hearing the same voice all day can get old.

Heck sometimes I even get tired of hearing James Chen and Ultradavid all day as godlike as they are.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Wobbles and Wife are the best commentators I've seen/heard, but lack of real color commentary for anecdotes/player information can hurt. Some combo of Wobbles for play by play and another long-time player for color commentary would be best.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I think that it'd be nice to sorta have a meeting of both hype and insight. Something like a team of HMW and Lovage or the like.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Wobbles, Dogy, Wife, D1 and Prog are my favorite regulars I guess. DJ Nintendo can be good at times, same for Hazz.

But for the love of god keep Gmoney and Fuzzyness away from the mic.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Wobbles and Lovage together are really cool, its hype but it doesn't over extend. also Dj Nintendo is good, but idk who his perfect partner would be.

:phone:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I think the mvc3 player "Yipes" should commentate melee,

If you havent heard of him look up "Mahvel babee."

Hes hilarious

poega

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't like prog commentating (no offence man). He doesn't call out what is going on at all and leaves big silences while major *** combos are being played out. It is really important the commentator is calling out whats going on now that there are so many "roamers" on twitch. I liked the "mmmm" **** tho that was hilarious. Dogy is prolly my favourite im not really sure. Hbox is really nice too as he is analytically sharp but still lets a cool and chill personality shine through.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I really have enjoyed Bob$'s recent commentary. He can get really, REALLY, hype, but also is insightful/doesn't just list moves or complement players. I know he's not a top player like PP or Wobbles but I would probably he say he's my favorite right now with NorCal bias...

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Is MikeHaggar coming to APEX? Having him commentate the world crew battle alongside an American would be ****ing hilarious. He's like the sincere personification of the persona Prog used.

past_b

Smash Apprentice
Is MikeHaggar coming to APEX? Having him commentate the world crew battle alongside an American would be ****ing hilarious. He's like the sincere personification of the persona Prog used.
Mikehaggar would be awesome. Also I forgot about bob$ definitely within my top 5 in commentators. Very hype.

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
people commentate melee wrong

one huge thing that determines "good" commentary is the format

1 person, 2 person, and 3 person match casting are all totally different beasts. the preferred format for smash is 2 casters, pretty much always has been since the dawn of time. i think 3 casters would work fine in smash as long as they were all color commentating more or less

--

another huge distinction between ****ty and ok commentary is a balancing act of excitement and overanalytics

in melee, you want to analyze more or less just what's on the surface, but be excited about anything that impresses you. anytime commentators start explaining a technique during a livestream i want to throw my headset in the trash, by the time you've gotten the point accross, 5 cooler and more interesting things developed in that match.

basically that's why out of all ESPORTS, league of legends commentators by far blow the hardest **** and fail on every level. watch a counter-strike livestream or VOD (or any FPS game really) and you'll kinda see what i mean. well-placed emotion trumps the most accurate analytics everytime if u ask me.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I think a problem with some commentators is that they feel like they have to perform a play by play analysis of what's going on. I enjoy more of the color commentary style provided by DJNintendo and guys like HMW.

I think DJ and HMW would make a fantastic duo. DJ cracks me up with his sayings. "Ramen Noodles" is my new favorite.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
Mike Haggar + Hugs commentating Mango vs Armada

I'd pay to see that

Engo

Smash Ace
If Hbox vs Armada happens or other campy matches don't put someone on commentary who's going to complain, insult the players and talk about how gay it is for the entire set. Apex is the most professional smash event around and commentators should respect that aspect of the game even if it is boring/not hype. Imagine what stream viewers new to smash would think if the commentators are calling the match gay and stupid. Instead talk about why they play that way, what they're trying to do, you could even talk about why people have such a bad view on it just don't diss the players and the match because you don't like it.

edit: I know it can be hard especially when sets can go on for a very long time but this is a professional event and the commentators should make the effort.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
If Hbox vs Armada happens or other campy matches don't put someone on commentary who's going to complain, insult the players and talk about how gay it is for the entire set. Apex is the most professional smash event around and commentators should respect that aspect of the game even if it is boring/not hype. Imagine what stream viewers new to smash would think if the commentators are calling the match gay and stupid. Instead talk about why they play that way, what they're trying to do, you could even talk about why people have such a bad view on it just don't diss the players and the match because you don't like it.

edit: I know it can be hard especially when sets can go on for a very long time but this is a professional event and the commentators should make the effort.
I don't see why that'd happen at Apex considering what you're talking about happened at Genesis 2 (unless you're talking about something else)

Apex has always been good with the professional commentary

Top Bottom