• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators at EVO 2013

V-K

Smash Ace
Pretty much Hugs + Ken

"Would I be insane if I told you that Mango is gonna win Evo?"
"I dunno, it can go either way man..."

No srsly Wife and Wobbles is the most excellent choice imo but if there can be more commentators then the others can rotate every once in a while.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
armada should do commentary now that he's retired competitively. his english is pretty good nowadays. idk if he's gonna go to evo though

wobbles definitely though

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Prog, D1, Wobbles, Dogy. Maybe Lovage.

I love HMW/Phil and all, but they're just not suited for professional commentary lol.

:phone:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I would be interested to see Wobbles + D1. Would be great commentating team: D1 with the hype and positivity, Wobbles with the smooth-talking and game knowledge. (Of course both of them have all four qualities.)

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
2009 Scar and Ken :happysheep:

Serious Opinion: Wife, Prog, D1, Hazz, Dogysamich, Wobbles, and Lovage are all good. My two favorites are Wife and D1, but I think a rotation would be ideal. Please never let KirbyKaze within 10 feet of a commentary station.

SwordSaint892

Smash Rookie
Apparently I'm super late to the party (smashboards was down for at least like 3 days?), but I would absolutely love to be able to commentate a few matches if a rotation was in place. I've had quite a bit of experience with some of our local tournaments and commentated on JB's setup all Day 3 of Genesis 2, with multiple different co-commentators, which all went very well (except when SilentSpectre played, can't out commentate that).
I'm pretty unknown to east coast, but California knows me fairly and I am a Las Vegas resident, so yeah just throwing my name out there. If there's any rinky-dink recording setups, I'd enjoy commentating those as well.

That aside, my favorites for doing top 8 commentary/whatever are Prog, Wobbles, Lovage, D1.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I said this before, however, if/when we are on the main stage, of course appropriate attire (shirt and tie) goes without saying. That being said, I think it'd be an amazing gesture if each of the commentators wore a shirt over it relating to either the fight against breast cancer or the other games that were in the running but didn't make it. It'd be a great gesture to the other communities as well as a reminder of what our community put together to get that final spot.
$0.02.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I think we need to have someone good at generating hype and funnier like Waffles, without cursing though, ( D1 is ok but he's so dang quiet and reserved. If he would just yell all the time he'd be way more entertaining) as well as someone like Wobbles who's more analytical and can provide deep insights on the fly. Having 2 people from generally different backgrounds is good, I think.

Also, I would seriously love to see someone like James Chen or Ultra David who's very knowledge in the general FGC world on commentary to sort of give their views on the game through the perspective of someone outside of the community alongside someone from the Smash scene who can teach them things as the match is going on. I'm sure they'd be really impressed if someone who really knows they're stuff points out all the subtleties and tech's as they're watching it in real time.

Whatever happens, let's make good decisions...

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
I think we need to have a black guy because they're good at generating hype and are generally funnier like Waffles, without cursing though. D1 is ok but he's so dang quiet and reserved. If he would just yell all the time he'd be way more entertaining. As well as a white guy like Wobbles who's more analytical and can provide deep insights on the fly. It's not racist, it's just the truth.

Also, I would seriously love to see someone like James Chen or Ultra David who's very knowledge in the general FGC world on commentary to sort of give their views on the game through the perspective of someone outside of the community alongside someone from the Smash scene who can teach them things as the match is going on. I'm sure they'd be really impressed if someone who really knows they're stuff points out all the subtleties and tech's as they're watching it in real time.

Whatever happens, let's make good decisions...

sorry (not really), this is racist

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
sorry (not really), this is racist
So is it racist to say that a banana looks yellow and an apple tastes red? Did I say all black people are loud or that all white people are intelligent? Don't think so. I think that having the differences in cultures on the mic is a good thing.

My best friend and brother in Christ from the age of 5 is black.

Please refrain from making harsh critiques without knowing...

Anyway, back to topic: I am also curious as to how it will be decided.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
So is it racist to say that a banana looks yellow and an apple tastes red? Did I say all black people are loud or that all white people are intelligent? Don't think so. I think that having the differences in cultures on the mic is a good thing.

My best friend and brother in Christ from the age of 5 is black.

Please refrain from making harsh critiques without knowing...

Anyway, back to topic: I am also curious as to how it will be decided.
you're stereotyping pretty hard in your first post, and whilst you're not intending to be racist, it comes off as such. also, no one cares that your best friend is black. that doesn't give you brownie points.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
*Edited post to prevent others from stumbling.

Look up the definition of racism. Nowhere will you see my comments falling into that description. In all honesty, I don't really get the whole concept behind racism. Namely, the presupposition of the idea behind "races" is inherently flawed. There's only one race, anyway. The fact is, people of different ethnicity and geographic regions, have over time, through cultures, genetics, etc. developed extra-regular abilities/skills. Why is it that the majority of NBA/NFL starters are AA's? Cuz THEY'RE FREAKIN GOOD ATHLETES! If anything, I was giving praise, not degrading.

And I wasn't mentioning my friend to get points, only because I was offended by your ignorant comment. I'm done defending myself.

*On topic: I think the commentators should be put to a vote by the people, possibly at the next MIOM or something. Since it was the people who got Smash at Evo, it should be us who determines how it rolls. Thoughts?

ycz12

Smash Ace
Walk away from this one, Kanye, it's a lost cause.

A poll sounds like a good idea. Anyone got friends on the Evo organizing staff?

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
To people who say things like new comers wouldn't get waffles and Phil's commentary and that it would push people away from our game, take into consideration hundreds if not thousands if people like me wouldn't be into competitive melee if it wasn't for the wombo combo lol. I think it would be awesome if they did it, but if only if they were really enthusiastic and passionate about doing it.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I think Wobbles + Prog is a spot-on team you've come up with.

Good alternates to either would be Dogysamich, D1, Lovage, or Bob$. Dream team IMO would be any of these guys + Wife.
This. Also like the idea of Chen or Ultradavid cocommentating, would be like the CEVO JWong commentary on M2K vs Jbailey probably.

prog

I have an update in regards to this topic that I'll be posting on Monday (its in my work e-mail).

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
One requirement must be, that they have knowledge in FGC terms also. So he can translate some of the smashterms to FGC terms. Like Footsies ( spacing and tilts in smash) , juggle state, meaty attacks, corner pressure ( edge Pressure in smash ), Mirror match ( ditto match in smash ) , inv frames, anti air up tilts, reversal up b, shield stab, MIX UPS! ( mind games -_- in smash, please dont use that term) etc. It would also help if he knew match ups or situations in other FGC games that he could relate and help understand the viewers.

hell if I lived in the US and my english were more fluent I would have tried to comment in these type of tournament. But I hope that the person chosen have knowledge in both Smash and FGC. Not someone who just shouts WHERE U AT! OMG, or THAT JUST BEAUTIFULL! or Goddamn! Dik riding mango etc . A few years ago smash commentator were not good enough and pretty much bias.

Also FGC commentators ive seen they dont bring up tiers list that much at least never in a way of saying " this char cant win tournaments" they always encourage variety

Not hating though ;)

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
don't have pairing, but my commentators that would be good would be:

Prog, D1, Wobbles, TheWaffle (just for the exciting commentary), Doggy, and some others

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
wobble-dy, wobble-dy, wah

p.s.

wobbles, prog, d1, lovage, bob$, phil

pick 2, take synergy into consideration

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
One requirement must be, that they have knowledge in FGC terms also. So he can translate some of the smashterms to FGC terms. Like Footsies ( spacing and tilts in smash) , juggle state, meaty attacks, corner pressure ( edge Pressure in smash ), Mirror match ( ditto match in smash ) , inv frames, anti air up tilts, reversal up b, shield stab, MIX UPS! ( mind games -_- in smash, please dont use that term) etc. It would also help if he knew match ups or situations in other FGC games that he could relate and help understand the viewers.

I hope that the person chosen have knowledge in both Smash and FGC. Not someone who just shouts WHERE U AT! OMG, or THAT JUST BEAUTIFULL! or Goddamn! Dik riding mango etc . A few years ago smash commentator were not good enough and pretty much bias.

Also FGC commentators ive seen they dont bring up tiers list that much at least never in a way of saying " this char cant win tournaments" they always encourage variety

Not hating though ;)

2nd'd...

prog

From Mr. Wizard himself:

Commentators for a Evo stream must be professional and not use profanity of any kind, as you are representing the Evo brand.

Commentators for top 8 will be chosen by Evo themselves.
--
He's been linked to this thread.

Top Bottom