• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why desynced Ice Blocks would be bad unless your opponent were decently close. It forced the opponent to camp a platform, use a move/shield to block the incoming ice blocks, or jump to approach. It screws up DD's too.
You really shouldnt be using desync unless you really have too. Trust me you will get separated and killed alot easier.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure there is a way to always have a Ice Climber at the ledge with invincibility when edgeguarding while the other one can punish a recovery on the stage. There are probably multiple ways each best for one situation. I can recommend trying it out.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Sorry for being such a newb, is there any thread specifying exactly the differences between melee icies and brawl? Like why does the c stick make popo throw? I realize they are an extremely technical char, but why make them more technical and less effective (infinites). Shouldn't it be slightly easier since the infinites are gone? Or is that just because I am a newb and I should give it time...

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for being such a newb, is there any thread specifying exactly the differences between melee icies and brawl? Like why does the c stick make popo throw? I realize they are an extremely technical char, but why make them more technical and less effective (infinites). Shouldn't it be slightly easier since the infinites are gone? Or is that just because I am a newb and I should give it time. Just go to google and type ssb wiki pm ice climbers you should find all the information about them. Also you guys what button for grab do you use for situtional ledge grab infinte.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Do all aerials sync the climbers up like uair? What I mean is, if have a desync. going with specials, tilts, or smashes, I can keep it going relatively well. With aerials they seem to break through the desyncs.

Also, what do you usually do with a grab at different percents. I usually go for blizzard regrabs at low percents at as soon as I feel that won't work, I just take the safe fsmash and edge guard.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
Do all aerials sync the climbers up like uair? What I mean is, if have a desync. going with specials, tilts, or smashes, I can keep it going relatively well. With aerials they seem to break through the desyncs.

Also, what do you usually do with a grab at different percents. I usually go for blizzard regrabs at low percents at as soon as I feel that won't work, I just take the safe fsmash and edge guard.
That's exactly what I do. Except, sometimes, when at center stage, I'll dthrow-fair to either set up a tech chase or just bat the opponent away.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDHBkl4pgw
This is a video of me playing friendlies at a big tournament in Dallas. Please feel free to offer criticism.
Whoa whoa whoa, you mean I wasn't the only Ice Climber main there? Dude, do you live around the area? We could totally jam on Ice Climbers during tournaments.

EDIT: Also, sick grab set-ups and spacing. I could learn a fair amount from your Blizzard usage, as you were covering a lot of the stuff that Roy and characters like Roy give me.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Last edited:

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Whoa whoa whoa, you mean I wasn't the only Ice Climber main there? Dude, do you live around the area? We could totally jam on Ice Climbers during tournaments.

EDIT: Also, sick grab set-ups and spacing. I could learn a fair amount from your Blizzard usage, as you were covering a lot of the stuff that Roy and characters like Roy give me.
Yeah I live near SMU. Are you going to Infinity and Beyond?

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
Well I'm there every week and I'm always practicing new ICs tech. My goal is to make them a viable threat.
Glad to see I'm not the only one making an effort. I'll try and go this week (emphasis on "try"). I do have a problem in that my Wii broke a few hours ago, so I won't be pretty.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
On the topic of new tech:
Popo d-throw -> Nana ice block -> Popo pivot up-tilt -> Nana (depending on %) sh / fj / fj&dj fair meteor -> Popo regrab

Up-tilt because you have long enough time to position with Nana then, here is an easy method for pivot up-tilts for tap jump off. Ice block is not always needed but helps having more room to react on their DI.

If you misread their DI on the fair you will only get a techchase. Also after the regrab it only works again if Nana has time to land so input a fastfall after the fair. Otherwise just do standard grab combos.

On higher %s it can be necessary to crouch out or run and dash again immediately so you can do pivots. Doing a WD instead works sometimes but gives them more room to break out.

If they SDI the up-tilt, continue doing something with Nana, for example a smash attack at high %s, jabs to lock the opponent until Popo can regrab or some upward hitting move for a up-air/nair/bair followup.

Isn't an infinite by any means but a strong grab combo.

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
On the topic of new tech:
Popo d-throw -> Nana ice block -> Popo pivot up-tilt -> Nana (depending on %) sh / fj / fj&dj fair meteor -> Popo regrab

Up-tilt because you have long enough time to position with Nana then, here is an easy method for pivot up-tilts for tap jump off. Ice block is not always needed but helps having more room to react on their DI.

If you misread their DI on the fair you will only get a techchase. Also after the regrab it only works again if Nana has time to land so input a fastfall after the fair. Otherwise just do standard grab combos.

On higher %s it can be necessary to crouch out or run and dash again immediately so you can do pivots. Doing a WD instead works sometimes but gives them more room to break out.

If they SDI the up-tilt, continue doing something with Nana, for example a smash attack at high %s, jabs to lock the opponent until Popo can regrab or some upward hitting move for a up-air/nair/bair followup.

Isn't an infinite by any means but a strong grab combo.
This is the kind of stuff I've always wanted to do with ICs, super creative and flashy desynch maneuvers. I'm having trouble at step: "pivot utilt," even with that guide, but I'm determined to get this down and wow everyone here at my scene.

Also, could someone post a video? I can't quite visualize how this is supposed to work. Or ELI5.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Sorry, I can't record anything atm.

I can try to explain how it should work though, which part is the toughest one to visualize?
Basically, after the throw Nana performs an ice block while you start dashing with Popo and pivot up-tilt immediately after the ice block's hitlag, otherwise it can be problematic because ice block has barely hitstun. While the opponent is caught in the up-tilt Nana positions herself so she can fair directly after the opponent is launched. Optimally you fair while Popo is still in the up-tilt animation, otherwise use an attack button instead of the c-stick because Popo is released from his animation much faster when he f-tilts instead of f-smashs.
If you want to be really 20XX and Popo is out of his up-tilt animation and you burnt your jump, press jump, next frame c-stick a fair with Nana, and WD in place or to read their DI with Popo. This animation is even shorter.

It wasn't actually that hard to find. It is all about winning time with one climber to position the other for the next move. Ice block gives you that bit of time for a next move, and up-tilt is the move that brings you the most time to position for a followup. Fair and regrab are pretty intuitive.

There are many combos you can do in a similar way of searching for the right choice, desync combos in specific. If you have a secured hit (like in any grab combo), always look first for a desync and then for those timewinning moves and details to extend combos as much as possible.

For example if you read a roll/ spot dodge/ jump/ whatever and you have a secured hit, maybe a pivot move will do best because it leads to desync combos. Pivot up-tilt is by far the best combowise, but pivot f-tilts and ice blocks/blizzard can also lead to something. If you are good in the run-cancel->dash it helps

Other ways to start desync combos are the WD f-tilt/jab desync (where you f-tilt after a WD and Nana will jab), it is somehow difficult though to start combos with it, more of a defensive tool. Same goes for many other desyncs, but almost all of them have small niches of being combo starters. It is worth noting that there are multiple desyncs able to follow your own blizzarding climber/ice block like the Reverse Initial Desync. You will probably be able to followup with desync combos, but in most cases you will grab so also there grab desync combos are the most effective and appliable ones.

A few desync combo ideas you can build in at some part probably:
- Keeping them in a blizzard: using some kind of move when they are in a blizzard. Mostly you can't really followup with the other climber because the blizzard takes a bit but the hitlag and -stun can help you to link aerial->ground move even if it normally would not work: Dair-> up-tilt is my favourite because dair doesn't knock them out of the blizzard and up-tilt has a high damage output and great followups, maybe then up-air...
- If you can punish something really laggy try to run up shield and immediately c-stick up. Nana will up-smash and you can dair chain in the desync. You need to practice a bit but sometimes there are also opportunities for regrabbing, because at some point their DI would be enough to get out. If you control your jump momentum you can keep the dair chain pretty long. Short hops are more usfeul here than full jumps.
- If you are able to do a jab / f-tilt with Nana only while Popo can WD that will get you a regrab in most cases.
- Also watch for the rare opportunities to combo from a high knockback move on because you either stop their flight with a low knockback attack or grab them out of it. Great damage output, but also more of a detail

These would be my ideas about desync combos

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Has anybody tried to use platform grab combos? Or are Icies just not very good on platforms? I was messing around with some this morning and did something like dthrow (nana falls through)-> nana up air -> popo fair -> nana jab reset -> popo regrab. I cant get the up air to hit after popo dthrow's after that one time.

I was trying to do fair, but that didn't hit high enough. Ooh, what if you had Nana jump? On a platform that should set up for regrabs (as long as they aren't at the edge, which is a lot...).

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Should work except for the jab reset because they tech and stuff...

I think up-air fair should be the most solid choice as you mention. One think I would try is to fastfall after the first Nana up-air and drop through the platform after Popo fair so you can techchase with another up-air (or at high percents a back air).

Otherwise, don't go too much on platforms, but dropping through them (as well as shield dropping <3) is great because it makes your position better even if the aerial misses /gets shielded. I wouldn't go for crazy on-platform followups

It might be a bit disappointing because there is no regrab and it isn't that flashy :( but more reliable because you are not on a platform afterwards and this is not that good for ICs. Imagine you want the reset, but the opponent techs. Climbers separated, one of them on a platform stuck in his jab animation, is that what you want?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yeah and then again drop through and techchase (up-air). You want to be techchasing from the ground because its safer and you can't get stuck on platforms.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Oh ok, that makes sense. I was confused how to tech chase with up air, wasn't thinking on the platform... Thanks, will try to get all of this down after work.

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
This is getting me hot. Thanks for that writeup, Chesstiger. I'm going to need to incorporate all of this into my game.

I've always understood desynching, but as more of a nebulous concept that I could barely put to use. Now that you've given me some concrete tools to use, I should have a great time.

Oh, yeah. The part I'm having a hard time visualizing is how to connect the ice block. Do I block the back of them? do I throw them onto the block? Is it character-specific? How far away from me should they be when the block connects?

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Fly said shield drooping isn't that god for ics because of their bad air mobility but still important. I really like your tip for tech chasing platforms with ics chess

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ Foxy K Foxy K
Hitting with the back of the ice block is most practical for the followups, I didn't try hitting them into it but you need to wait a bit so that might cause trouble with mashouts.

As for desyncing, the part I mentioned is maybe one of three big concepts of the whole desync mechanism, being desync for offensive purpose. Defensive desyncing and desyncing in neutral game are also really important.
Think of those as a bit of a wall, covering as many options as possible. Instead of positioning and time gain in those cases protecting the other climber's weak spot and covering options.
When defending, you want to be able to put out a safe defence as quick as possible (maybe Blizzard + aerial) while in neutral game you want some kind of teamwork with almost no commitment that leaves them open (often one climber doing something like an approach while the other one is defending / making that approach

I forgot to mention the C-up desync last time, if you have a guaranteed up-smash, often shield ->c-up is better because Nana will up-smash and Popo can follow up with a bair at kill percents, a fair meteor for combos or an up-air for some techchase situations.

About pivot desyncs:
Pivot f-tilt: Nana will dash attack which takes 10 frames longer.
Pivot up-tilt: Nana will up-smash which takes 2 frames longer (very little window to keep the desync going, ice block is best to continue it)
Pivot f-smash: Nana will dash attack and can act 9 frames faster
Pivot d-smash: Only a one frame window. Give the d-smash a little charge to make the window to continue the desync bigger
IASA's are taken into account

@ KingDozie KingDozie
The thing is that you want to land safely. Often it makes more sense to stay on the platform because you can delay this issue and don't have to be in the air right now, but on the longrun you also want to be on the ground...
If you drop down immediately you could be punished but now have the better position. So if you have some kinds of frame advantage I would always go to the ground if you don't have a big punish on the platform, because you got away with a free and safe landing.
It also is a different story depending on how high the platform is. You have to drop down more carefully if it is higher so often you need to wait long on it to be able to drop in the right moment, while you have more opportunities on lower platforms.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
In general, how long can you down throw chaingrab as sopo? Also, watching some melee ice climbers, I have a question: in melee could you directly hit someone with a nana smash out of grab? I swear I am not see them dthrow or fthrow. If so, why is that not how it is in P:M.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
In general, how long can you down throw chaingrab as sopo? Also, watching some melee ice climbers, I have a question: in melee could you directly hit someone with a nana smash out of grab? I swear I am not see them dthrow or fthrow. If so, why is that not how it is in P:M.
The dthrow chaingrab won't work for very long on someone who figures out how to DI. And it really varies by character. Fast-fallers are impossible, whereas Toon Link can go grabbed eternally if he never DIs.

As to your second question, I don't know. Probably. If you input a pummel with Popo, you could smash with Nana during that. But most people just dthrow or fthrow into fsmash, or uthrow into fmash.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I thought the SoPo chaingrab was said to work in this game, so I thought it would work for longer.

As for the smashes during grabs, in PM if you hit them while popo has them grabbed, it doesn't do knockback and it does like 7 percent. In a melee climbers videos, you see people ending wobbles with an immediate downsmash or upsmash to trick di. I was wondering why it isn't that way in PM.

RideTheLine

Smash Cadet
I thought the SoPo chaingrab was said to work in this game, so I thought it would work for longer.

As for the smashes during grabs, in PM if you hit them while popo has them grabbed, it doesn't do knockback and it does like 7 percent. In a melee climbers videos, you see people ending wobbles with an immediate downsmash or upsmash to trick di. I was wondering why it isn't that way in PM.
It can work for a while. Can. No guarantees.

You usually end a wobble by just flicking the c-stick down. From my experience, that will make PoPo throw anyway.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I don't know about melee, but this game dthrow and down smash do not like up. If you do it in PM, they are still in dthrow when Nana hits, thus they only take like 7 percent and receive no knockback.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I don't know about melee, but this game dthrow and down smash do not like up. If you do it in PM, they are still in dthrow when Nana hits, thus they only take like 7 percent and receive no knockback.
Not positive but I *think* you can time it to have the dsmash hit them right after the throw releases.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I know you can... All I want to know is if a Nana smash attack hits someone out of a Popo grab in Melee, and if so, why it doesn't do that in P:M.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Both Popo and Nana f-smash do 14%, if you hit a grabbed opponent that only does 50% of damage, so 7.0%. Grab breaks for values over 6.0%.
If the f-smash is staled 2 times it only has 83% of damage which is 5.81, which is less than 6 and won't break grabs unless you charge it.
FC f-smash does 19%, on grabs 9.5%, only with a hexastale you can't hit people out of grabs with it

Up-smash & Down-smash: 11%, on grabs 5.5%, you need a little charge even unstaled, if it is staled you need quite a lot of charge on it.
FC up&down-smash do 15%, on grabs 7.5%, after three stales it won't hit out of grabs anymore

I hope that answers the question :)

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried the charged fsmash regrab on fastfallers? I've been having some fun experimenting with it in the center of the stage. It works well on the fastfallers, but floaties can travel alittle too high.

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
I've had success with it against DIing opponents. Fly Amanita has used in in Melee on Foxes and Falcos. You down-throw with Popo and then charge the fsmash just a little. You want to charge it a little because Popo cannot grab while you are charging a nana smash. So when you let go of the Fsmash you want to immediately grab with Popo. This all can happen pretty fast, so it can catch people off guard.

Top Bottom