• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Lets go! Everybody's favorite climbers are here, so lets discuss, socialize and prepare for the grappling nonsense coming December 9th!

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I can`t believe they are adding in all of the Melee desyncs and keeping all of the Brawl desyncs. A little much there PMBR don`t you think? What`s next? are you going to tell us that we can plug in a wiimote into our gamecube controllers and have a friend control nana for us?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
What are the Brawl specific desynchs? The Melee ones were hard to pull off, and with wobbling/the Brawl infinite gone they need something to make them competitively viable. It seems to me that having the extra desyncs is necessary, as the ICs will not have a trump card once they grab you like they did in Melee and Brawl.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
To anyone that watched the stream, was it just me or was sopo's side b recovery better? Like it seemed to push you up similar to MK's tornado.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'm not sure. It seemed like it was very similar to Melee, but I could be wrong. All it really needs to do is sweetspot the edge, but I definitely did not see that happen.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Definetly I'm going to check out the IC's.

In the meantime I'll have to look for gameplay on the streams.
I just hope SoPo's recovery gets to be a tad bit better than Melee... At least with the current edgehogging mechanic SoPo may grab the edge doing solo Up-B after a Wall tech on the edge.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I can`t believe they are adding in all of the Melee desyncs and keeping all of the Brawl desyncs. A little much there PMBR don`t you think?
Not if they want break the Ice Climbers out of their polarizing design that heavily relies on grabs. Wobbling and Brawl infinites are gone, which is basically half of what made the character good. If giving them all their desyncs as compensation offers a more dynamic, interesting playstyle that'll shape the Icies into more well-rounded characters rather than one-trick ponies, then I don't see the problem.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Just wondering, in PM does the length of the throwing animation still affected by the character's weight?

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Well then we'll have to make weight/timing categories for the hand-off... Anyway when playing climbers (melee) I'm not so good on the CG/Wobbling category... I imagine they have a little bit better mallet hitbox (basing of the Melee hitbox data I kind of thought they always had a tiny bit smaller range than the mallet model shows).

I hope they have a slightly better aerial options... (I'm talkging to you always-situational-and-sometimes-not-so-reliable N-air)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
From what I've seen on the streams they look really solid. Uair and dair are still great, and I've heard fair is either a true spike or a much stronger meteor. It seems to me that their main game will still be throws. Adding the Brawl desyncs means that we will have even more options when we land a grab. Handoffs are still going to be really important, but it seems like most of the handoffs are Melee handoffs. The fthrow one from Brawl is gone. Also, their squall hammer is literally the best recovery move ever.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
It's definitely moved from mediocre to great. The added height coupled with what looks like a slight boost in power has made squall hammer considerably more potent not only as a recovery move, but also as an offensive move. I'm really excited to explore the new uses it looks to have.

While watching the assorted streams I noticed that when Popo grabbed the edge with belay that Nana automatically followed suit. Was this in Brawl?

I also noticed that Nana sometimes performed squall hammer when Popo tried to belay. Th t worried me slightly, as Popo had no choice but to die when that happened...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You people are crazy. Why does everything think squall hammer magically goes higher...It goes the same distance it went in melee and it goes less high than it did in brawl. It's like people have never played IC's before -.-.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You people are crazy. Why does everything think squall hammer magically goes higher...It goes the same distance it went in melee and it goes less high than it did in brawl. It's like people have never played IC's before -.-.
Because on the stream it looked ridiculous. If it really wasn't changed then I guess it wasn't changed... My bad.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Because on the stream it looked ridiculous. If it really wasn't changed then I guess it wasn't changed... My bad.

I mean..it was ridiculous in melee/brawl >_>.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm really excited for this character in that the combination of Brawl and Melee desynch's has given Project M the closest thing the smash series has ever had to a "puppet" character. Since they can function so independently they'll get a lot more tricks to replace wobbling as they can mix together different normals/ specials in new ways. I may get around to this character eventually but they seem like a character that will be VERY difficult to pick up and will definitely take more getting used to than most other characters. Until I do find the time or interest to pick up this dynamic duo, I look forward to seeing other players pick up and develop this teams dualistic meta.

If I can make a humble recommendation based upon my experience fighting the character so far, it's that their strength lies in their ability to make you feel like you're fighting two characters, so I think the dominant strategy in the meta will actually be separating Nana and Popo and getting them to coordinate attacks in ways other characters can't.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That might be true. Both Melee and Brawl's IC metagames revolved around guarding Nana from your opponent. Even with these new desyncs, I think tyat will still be thedominant trend.

GeZ

Smash Lord
That might be true. Both Melee and Brawl's IC metagames revolved around guarding Nana from your opponent. Even with these new desyncs, I think tyat will still be thedominant trend.
I'd more say that they put great emphasis on keeping Nana safe, but that's not something a metagame can be centric of because it's not a goal or a means to beating the opponent. I'm talking the metagame in relation to how the Ice Climbers are trying to beat their opponent.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I'm really excited to play as the ICs. I've never been able to get my head around the grab and desyncing gameplay but hopefully this will give me an opportunity to do so. :popo:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'd more say that they put great emphasis on keeping Nana safe, but that's not something a metagame can be centric of because it's not a goal or a means to beating the opponent. I'm talking the metagame in relation to how the Ice Climbers are trying to beat their opponent.
You mean offense? That sounds fair. I do think that managing risk when moving the climbers away from each other will be crucial, as both are rather weak alone. I think that the safest desyncs, like the nanapault and the standing nana fsmash from Brawl will still be staples of the IC metagame. However, i do think that we'll have to be creative, as grabs will no longer guarentee a kill. Setups are now going to funnel into certain handoffs that will maximize damage/knockback instead of moving straight to a wobble or n infinite. I'm quite excited, as the IC look to offer just as many options as Lucas, my current main.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite ways to play was to desynch while in neutral using the roll or spotdodge or UpB OoS into icicles and WD's. When I learned how to smoothly move forward and back while shooting the ice blocks, people were afraid to approach and I would just weave in to get the grab. Mix in some shffl Fairs and Dairs (still continuously desynched) and they are downright terrifying.

The handoffs are beautiful, but it sounds like they will be even harder than melee, and that was some tough timing. Now it will be easier to escape out of it though. I'm betting the dthrow dair CG will be more useful.

Fair is now a spike, the crowd fave KO combo fthrow > Fair just got way more reliable.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
One of my favorite ways to play was to desynch while in neutral using the roll or spotdodge or UpB OoS into icicles and WD's. When I learned how to smoothly move forward and back while shooting the ice blocks, people were afraid to approach and I would just weave in to get the grab. Mix in some shffl Fairs and Dairs (still continuously desynched) and they are downright terrifying.

The handoffs are beautiful, but it sounds like they will be even harder than melee, and that was some tough timing. Now it will be easier to escape out of it though. I'm betting the dthrow dair CG will be more useful.

Fair is now a spike, the crowd fave KO combo fthrow > Fair just got way more reliable.
Amen to that. I was looking at some of the Brawl desyncs, and it looked to me that the dash dance ones might not work the same in PM because the dash dance is different. The airdodge ones definitely won't work, but that's ok because there are not too many of those. The Melee desyncs will probably all work though. The wavedash icicles one sounds really good. I need to practice that so I can use it right away when 3.0 comes out!

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure how different the brawl DD is, I didn't play long enough to learn that IC could still desynch.. They could do it in melée though, it was one of their best. Another one few people mention is after they get hit, usually not too hard to fly offstage, but onstage they tend to recover desynched. So if you hold B while getting up it should work.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Brawl DD desynch works :p.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's artwork of Lorelei from Pokémon. Let's not derail the thread though, if you've got any further questions just hit me up via PM or leave a message on my profile.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
It's artwork of Lorelei from Pokémon. Let's not derail the thread though, if you've got any further questions just hit me up via PM or leave a message on my profile.
You're gearing up for the ice climbers, aren't you? Anyway, what the heck is Brawl's dash dance desync? I thought you didn't have a dash dace in brawl? When i watched big d's video it looked like they just started in one direction, reversed, and desynced. If that's all there is, then I understand why it desyncs. Do the standing nana desyncs still work? The super grab was really nice, and I would be sad if that no longer worked.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Apparently you could just dash one direction and cancel popo's dash with Fsmash or Dsmash while Nana does a dash attack. That sounds pretty cool.

Also, if popo desynchs and does the blizzard, will Nana automatically do it or can you continue the desynch like brawl?

It looks like Belay will still behave like melee's if nana is not within range of the ledge to tether. Will she tether from above the ledge like lucas or ivy? Does Popo have to reel into the ledge or can you just get flung instead?
I am stoked for the ability to send nana to the edge to hog it/bait a reaction and then reel in to extend the ledge invincibility and punish with popo.
Is there any decent ICs near someone preview streaming 3.0? I am too hype for 8 days!!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Apparently you could just dash one direction and cancel popo's dash with Fsmash or Dsmash while Nana does a dash attack. That sounds pretty cool.

Also, if popo desynchs and does the blizzard, will Nana automatically do it or can you continue the desynch like brawl?

It looks like Belay will still behave like melee's if nana is not within range of the ledge to tether. Will she tether from above the ledge like lucas or ivy? Does Popo have to reel into the ledge or can you just get flung instead?
I am stoked for the ability to send nana to the edge to hog it/bait a reaction and then reel in to extend the ledge invincibility and punish with popo.
Is there any decent ICs near someone preview streaming 3.0? I am too hype for 8 days!!
The guy I play with has some of the hand off grab chains down pretty well, and has a decently intimidating (if not without a few funny goof ups) Ice Climbers. I was going to see if I could pick up a capture card at some point so I can finally get matches of myself playing up, but that probably won't be before 3.0. Sorry dawg.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Ah well, as long as work is getting done so we can hit the ground running, I can wait. Spending my time learning brawl combos.

xFumbles

Smash Apprentice
my least favorite desync that made mah nana run away way landing desyncs. If you do an action while nana is still in landing lag, you seperate. Was this in brawl too?

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I couldn't really imagine why people want less desynchs. The more ways to desynch you are aware of, the more opportunities arise to take advantage of what's basically a 2v1. And chances are your opponent won't recognize the quicker, subtler desynchs like the landing one giving you an edge of surprise.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That looks great! The most exciting part imo is that Nana's ai has been significantly improved. That should be a game changer, especially when it comes to recovery.

Top Bottom