• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Shoulders: Ice Climbers Social Thread

TheLastOneAlive

Smash Cadet
Not too sure where this should go, so I'll just leave it here.

On the new Norfair, when you spawn on either of the side platforms at the start of a match, Nana will fall to her death before the match countdown finishes.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
yeah there's a thread in the bug forum about it. SO! What are ya'll thinking about the twins?! All of the little nuances will take some time to learn, but Nana feels great. It seems like you can keep a desynch going from further apart than melee, did brawl allow more space between them before Nana just goes solo AI? When I do a roll or spotdodge desynch, I sometimes accidentally do sideb or downb instead of ice block. I think the control stick is just more sensitive in Brawl or PM for things like that, right?

cmart

Smash Lord
What's probably happening is that the roll/spotdodge desynch buffer grabs the initial input and doesn't release it unless you stop holding B. So if you input side B but slide to neutral B by the time Nana acts, she will still side B. I'll look into a fix for that as it does seem somewhat unintuitive.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I'll have to play some matches vs someone to notice some things, so far I've been on training mode, just noticed a Solo Squall gains more height (compared to Melee) so every once in a while SoPo can go for the F-air dunk further below off stage.making it a little bit a less suicidal option.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Hylian said it doesn't actually go higher. It might be easier to mash like Mario and Luigi's tornadoes though. That would not surprise me.

Ace76

Smash Cadet
If anyone would be willing, could they make a video of what the IC can do in project m grab wise. I haven't played them in brawl or melee, but was interested in picking them up.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian said it doesn't actually go higher. It might be easier to mash like Mario and Luigi's tornadoes though. That would not surprise me.

The solo squall does actually go a bit higher, Double squall is the same as melee.

JosekiTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Been trying to figure out some high damage % throws and regrab setups for the PM iceclimbers. Anyone come up with anything cool that works against a lot of characters in the cast? I've just been going for the generic downthrow -> Nana fsmash stuff since its pretty easy and works every time.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Loving the IC's at the moment, looking forward to applying some of this practice. But I still have a few questions that I can't seem to figure out on my own.

1. When regrabbing with Nana, how do I keep her from throwing? It seems almost automatic to me right now, but I have seen and managed to achieve keeping her from throwing right away.
2. While in a grab, how do I charge a smash without throwing? I can do specials and tilts during a grab but not smash attacks.

Thanks in advanced for any help guys!

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
C-stick makes the other climber throw T.T how i do i stop him from throwing?

edit: ok, watching the 3.0 trailer, you have to do a pummel and buffer the smash before the pummel animation finishes - that has worked for me.

how about preventing nana from throwing right away? i've done it once but don't know how i did it ha

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
not an ICs player, but: it'd be nice to have a simplified guide on their desynchs. it's difficult to judge ICs right now b/c it's not like I can look at them in training mode and instantly judge "oh well, OBVIOUSLY you do these things" because a lot of their gameplans involve desynchs that aren't fully obvious

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Megapants: She is always meant to throw right when she grabs, we have tested it and adjusted her throw animation so you can combo out of it on reaction however. Her not throwing sometimes is a bug that we are still working out.

Canon: I can't think of like a single smasher aside from myself and possibly fly that is familiar with both brawl and melee desynchs on a detailed level. This is going to have to be like the old days where people tested and discovered stuff for themselves without the use of guides.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I still have to get used to PM's Nana/Desynchs there's something there I don't know... they feel great but every once in a while I get a random desynch and well also the grab+smash timing is different too... XP

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will say there are a LOT of desynchs and some pretty crazy ones, I can desynch while doing pretty much anything in PM and it feels great.

Some things to start people off:

Pivot desynch: Just pivot a move and you will desynch. This is most commonly used with iceblock, pivot and iceblock with popo and then have nana blizzard to keep the desynch going.

Reverse initial dash(RID): Dash the opposite direction you are facing and at the end of the dash you can desynch(again you will usually use an iceblock though blizzard can be super good out of this). This desynch is fairly hard but pretty insane as you can just run after your iceblock and can get some crazy surprises.

Squall desynch: You can desynch at the end of squall and have nana go straight into an iceblock/blizzard or grab.

Dash dance desynch(brawl): Instead of doing the long melee dash dances for spacing, just do a very quick small dashdance on on the 3rd control stick input nana will desynch, try it out with iceblock.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Well i've sort of caught on where I get those 'random' desyncs, sometimes when I wavedash instead of Nana following through WD she rolls instead. Kind of got the input figured out, the timing is a little bit odd.

cmart

Smash Lord
My fav one is still Popo shffl'd nair -> do anything with Popo. If you do it fast enough Nana will desynch

Player -0

Smash Hero
The solo squall does actually go a bit higher, Double squall is the same as melee.
Double Squall is the same as melee? You go crazy high with it! I can almost get 2/3 of the height as the belay from mashing. I think you can almost get to the stage on FD from the bottom of it.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this was possible in melee, but when you dash away, at the point where dash ends into run, you can press back grab and nana will turn and grab by herself. Good mindgame?

It seems like Nana always throws towards the ledge when near it, and pretty much always throws up from center stage.

Does anyone know if you can still do the melee dash grab handoff? It was a really quick one where as soon as you dash grab, you continue holding forward and grab so popo throws right into nana's grab.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Canon: I can't think of like a single smasher aside from myself and possibly fly that is familiar with both brawl and melee desynchs on a detailed level. This is going to have to be like the old days where people tested and discovered stuff for themselves without the use of guides.

I've got a pretty good mastery of Brawl's and feel pretty good with melee's :shrug:

Aside from 3 dash dances you can also quickly do two dashes and ice block/blizzard which is pretty quick. IMO 2 dash desync is the best goto since it's really fast and really practical.

The melee ICs should try doing consecutive shorthop/fullhop blizzards, it seems pretty powerful in PM. Shorthopping away from the opponent and using popo blizzard is a good escape tool as well as a good way to set up your wall. You can also b reverse Ice blocks and blizzards making your wall that much better.

They also gave Popo a CG to the ledge at really really low percents like Marth fthrow. So you can do that into hand offs. Only works on some characters and tbh idk if guaranteed (Falco) but try it out.

Here is just some random Brawl stuff I noticed :p

If you run and turn around, release the analog, the following input you do only Nana will do it.

If you do a pivot you retain the options you had from desync storing in Brawl. So if you pivot Nana will run and Popo will walk. If you grab, Nana will dash grab, do an attack Nana will dash attack. At mid percents, if you dsmash it will combo into dash attack allowing for follow ups. If you input a dash and then use an ice block, only Nana will ice block.

And some new developments.

If you shield and use cstick to upsmash, Nana will upsmash while Popo jumps.

Lastly idk how useful since PM is pretty fast but if you try to LD1 out of shield or basically hold shield and flick backwards as your shield drops and input an ice block, the climbers will just stand there and Nana will input an Ice Block.

Some interesting finds, I can't wait to see what else is discovered. Keep searching everyone!

Ace76

Smash Cadet
Can anyone explain how to charge a smash while grabbing? Holding z and hitting the c stick still makes popo throw

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
big d you will be my new friend, b/c I have never played ICs before in my entire life and I am incredibly interested in them

love the big d. breathe the big d

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I like these IC's.
Funnest variation of them yet, almost as if this was what Sakurai had been trying to do all along. XD

How have the spawn-points on Norfair not been moved in like 20 units (BrawlBox measurement thing) already?
Like really? Nobody should start a match TEETERING on the ledge DIRECTLY above an opponent. lol

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Wow, big D Big D. That was a, load, of useful info...

The desync SH blocks n blizzards is definitely where it's at. It really gives me a reason to practice B reversals and wavebounces tool
Thanks for the upsmash out of shield desync!
Must practice pivoting too..

Nemy

群れ
A few things ive picked up:

Dthrow>nana squall hammer can let you get a few regrabs. If they start to DI out, we have enough time to react accordingly. If you get a regrab off it, mix it up.

Dthrow>fsmash is a good kill move.

Dthrow>fair still works like in brawl, and you can even spike with it. Make sure nana jumps forward.

Uthrow>nana back air works. If you just wanna style on someone go for it I guess.

Popo blizzard+ nana fair is still a good desynch wall.

Roll>shield>input is a useful desynch(along with spot dodge>any special) These two create OoS options.

Also one thing I found that is interesting is that if we grab and then have nana ice block and down throw immedietly after, you will down throw them into the back of the ice block. What this does is it knocks the opponent out of the grab, so both players end up in a stand still. Depending on how the opponent reacts, you can regrab and possibly create a pseudo-infinite.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Idk how useful it is, but when you are in a slide animation from running and then changing directions, you can input a dash attack ( and dash grab but I've only got it to work like twice) and only Nana will do it. So from there you can wavedash into whatever dysnch you want to do.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Started practicing some Handoffs in training, it feels like fthrow is much easier to time than dthrow, of which I haven't been able to get one against a standing CP ;( Not sure if it's necessary to move forward or not, but I do a tiny walk forward for the fthrow. At low percents you can fthrow to nana dash JC turnaround grab...it looks awesome. Also, when you're close to the edge and nana gets the grab, she just holds on for like 3-4 seconds doing nothing, I think I can control which way she throws when this happens.
The desynching definitely doesn't feel like it used to, in melee I could usually buffer an ice block by holding b. And it feels a little more strict, like when I throw into Fair and spike them down in front of me, it's really hard to time a desynched dsmash. It either doesn't respond bc I'm too early, or I wait and Nana comes down and does a synced dsmash.
Favorite desynch right now: Up smash out of shield, popo automatically jumps and you can do any aerial if they don't DI properly, Fair spike down to dsmash again is the most satisfying.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Funny, I get the regrab off of Dthrow way more consistently than with Fthrow. In my experience, between the two throws, Dthrow requires you to grab really quickly while Fthrow requires some patience. Dthrow feels really intuitive for me, just grab em instantly, while Fthrow feels like you have to just barely catch them. So far, I've found that you do need to walk forward for both regrabs, though you might be able to get away with barely moving for Dthrow.

I also haven't gotten the up smash out of shield desynch to work yet. I'll have to work on that one since it seems like you have a ton of options. Have you tried wavedashing out of it yet? Any thoughts on that option?

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
yeah that's always one of their good options. The upsmash is just a new one, use the cstick. If you flick it popo will SH, if you really press it he'll full hop. Thanks for the dthrow tip, I probably was doing it too slow..

| Big D |

Smash Master
So ICs do have an infinite although situational.

If you grab someone near the ledge and are facing away from it, you can dthrow to Nana and Nana will always bthrow. You can just rinse and repeat this. Ways to set it up would probably be like dthrow > side b > pivot grab.

Edit: Here's a video

MegaGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yung_Mega
3DS FC
5043-2216-2465
I've been able to control Nana's throw once or twice by accident. It seems to happen when they get desynced during grabs/throws. Trying to find a way to do it consistently.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
That looks so cool, please don't remove PMBR! Does it work on all chars too? It looked like pretty fast timing, can't wait to try it and probably not get it for days..

Top Bottom