• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I wanted Paper Mario in Brawl. It never happened. I'd love to see him P:M with his hammer and him actually jumping on people to do damage. Not to mention timed hits in P:M? Would be godlike.

Could use Pixls in his moveset. Would be cool.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, Kamek would be really awesome.

Not sure if there's anything to work off of. (One of the Pokemon?)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
you should put waluigi and toad in, imo
I think any Mario character in general probably would not be a good idea. I already said why Waluigi would be a poor choice (very divisive character, largely has a "filler" role within his own series), but I think it needs to be expanded for other Mario character. The fact is that the Smash Bros. fanbase has strong divisions on any Mario character. While Toad and Bowser Jr. are actually important to the main Mario fanbase, they face the same problems as Waluigi though not as bad (Toad gets hit with complaints that he is bland/generic, while Bowser Jr. is usually hit with the "obvious clone" card).

I think as it stands, the Project M team should try to avoid doing a ton of work hours for a character that which a large portion of the fanbase is going to end up grumbling about.

I also think that we also need to think of characters that which could easily be made into a clone, as the team has said it takes at least 700 hours just to make a character that is a clone (and that's just from Roy, who already had his Melee incarnation for them to get an idea on how he would work in Smash Bros.).

I think an Advance Wars character, for example, (perhaps Sami or Will/Ed), would an excellent example of a clone character (of Snake) that would go over very well with much of the Smash Bros. fanbase, while:
1. Representing a very important Nintendo franchise (Famicom Wars).
2. While being a clone, providing a clone moveset that easily contrasts with her/his existing counterpart.

Dixie Kong is another example of a character who would be very well-received despite being a clone, although in Dixie's case, she would probably need to receive some luigi-fication seeing as it would be a bit strange if she didn't have an A-move or two in which she didn't use her oversized pony-tail to attack (which she does in the DKC games).

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see support for Shadow, I honestly think he's the best choice
No offense, but how could you honestly think this?

1. Shadow is a 3rd party character, so there could very well be licensing issues (despite that he is an Assist Trophy).

2. Smash, above anything else, is a game about Nintendo all-stars. Only the most famous and cherished guests get a chance to make it in. A random side character from a game that already has a representative doesn't fit this criteria. There are certain things that the PM devs need to respect about the "spirit" of Smash and Sakurai, and above anything else, character selection should be put on a pedestal. Sakurai has stated that 3rd parties are chosen with the utmost consideration and discretion. Smash is largely about who deserves to get in; why does Shadow deserve it anymore than Tails or Knuckles, characters that are both older and more popular? Why does Shadow deserve to get in over any Nintendo character for that matter? Because he's "bad-ass"? Since when has that helped anyone get in? He had one game, and it completely flopped. Shadow is neither a classic character, an important character in the history of gaming, nor an icon of any kind. I think this is the most important and obvious point.

3. Shadow would be a clone of Sonic, who is already possibly the most controversial character in Project M. Designing and balancing him, along with dealing with his fan-base, would be a nightmare for the PMBR and anyone playing the game.

4. The fact that he is an Assist Trophy does not assist in the character creation process at all, as the animations, textures, and model would likely have to be rebuilt from scratch anyway. It is very doubtful that the PMBR would build off of any pre-existing hack attempts.

I'm sorry, but out of all of the most commonly posted suggestions around here, Shadow is definitely the worst choice. This rant isn't' directed at you, but your wording was just too good to pass up.

I'm sure the PMBR shares this opinion, but god damn.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think in general, adding any Sonic character is a bad idea. However, in general, Shadow is probably the worst choice in regards to the "popular" Sonic characters, because Shadow is divisive even among the Sonic fanbase.

Other than that, the above posts lays out some good reasons for why Shadow (and other Sonic characters) would not be a wise choice for one of the five true newcomers.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Dixie should also have a different way of recovering from Diddy. (Although honestly, giving her DK's Up-B in place of Diddy's would be a pretty decent placeholder.) If Dixie was put in the game and her hair wasn't integral to her recovery, it'd feel a little weird, since that was what made her so awesome in DKC2.

I'm imagining Dixie as a slightly slower version of Diddy (since Diddy actually was a little bit faster than her in DKC2), with a horizontal recovery game instead of vertical recovery. Also, I wonder if she should keep the banana? On the one hand, it's a pretty unique mechanic to Diddy, so replacing that with something else would really cement them as different characters. (No banana, different recovery, a handful of different A attacks, different weight/speed... she'd definitely stand out then!)

On the other hand, is sacrificing the banana worth it? Maybe that would become their version of the shine, in that it's so interesting and gives the characters so many options, that it's not really worth removing just for the sake of making the characters more different.

I dunno! It's definitely an interesting thing to think about. I'd love to see Dixie in any incarnation, even if she was just a direct clone. (Right now I'm using a pretty awesome model swap that uses her trophy from Brawl over Diddy, haha).

This is getting out of scope, but just for fun - what do you guys think of "hybridized" clones? Tekken does this and it's actually pretty cool - they take two characters and kind of fuse them into one. So in the context of Dixie, imagine that half of her attacks were Diddy's, and the other half were DK's. All her tilts could become DK's tilts, and she'd be swiping with her hair instead of her hands, for example. She could even inherit DK's grab game, since in DKC2 she could pick stuff up and carry it around with her hair.

Iunno, now I'm just rambling wildly.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Honestly the choices beyond Mewtwo give me a headache, there's so much good/bad ideas but you gotta peel em down based on workload. So far some of the most feasible have been Golden Sun/Advance Wars reps, IMO. Even if the idea is stretching it, it's not entirely unfeasible or unreasonable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
3. Shadow would be a clone of Sonic
While Shadow would be a bad choice (and Sonic newcomers in general), being a clone shouldn't be a knock against a character's inclusion for Project M.

The Project M team already plainly said that they can't make every new character they include a completely unique character. I think we need to give them at least one character from which they won't have to make completely unique.

B.W.

Smash Champion
You realize that PMBR probably doesn't care much about how difficult making a character will be right?

If they did Roy probably wouldn't be returning to the game just because the Clone Engine was difficult to make and is apparently still difficult to deal with.

So we can leave things like how difficult it is for a character to be created out as far as reasoning goes.

Also Shadow is a stupid character and should be removed from the game completely. I don't even want his Assist Trophy in the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You realize that PMBR probably doesn't care much about how difficult making a character will be right?
I know, but you have to realize that its extremely time consuming to make entirely original characters. Roy was a clone who already had his Melee incarnation as an idea-base, yet he still took at least 700 hours to implement.

Having one straight clone among five true newcomers is not going to be the end of the world.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm getting the feeling that they shouldn't add anybody new at this rate, all we're doing is arguing, and regardless of who they put in or how well they do it people are just going to get butt-hurt about it... Mewtwo is probably going to get revealed tomorrow for smash 4 making him ineligible and no other characters will be received half as well as Roy so it's best to just leave it and finish the game to a fully playable level, then move onto other projects.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm getting the feeling that they shouldn't add anybody new at this rate, all we're doing is arguing, and regardless of who they put in or how well they do it people are just going to get butt-hurt about it... Mewtwo is probably going to get revealed tomorrow for smash 4 making him ineligible and no other characters will be received half as well as Roy so it's best to just leave it and finish the game to a fully playable level, then move onto other projects.
While, Mewtwo is the only characters that is going to be virtually unanimously accepted, there are still a few characters that would be extremely well-received. Its just that most of the "arguing" has centered around a few character choices (namely Mario and Sonic characters).

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
While, Mewtwo is the only characters that is going to be virtually unanimously accepted, there are still a few characters that would be extremely well-received. Its just that most of the "arguing" has centered around a few character choices (namely Mario and Sonic characters).

And Pokémon and Isaac and Dixie Kong and Ridley and K.Rool...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And Pokémon and Isaac and Dixie Kong and Ridley and K.Rool...
The arguments about Ridley and K. Rool is that those characters are likely to show up in Smash 4 and would take a lot of time to implement (since they would need to be fully unique). If one of the two is de-confirmed for Smash 4, you can bet there will be a flood of requests for them to be in Project M.

As for Dixie Kong, the only "arguing" I have seen about her is that K. Rool should be in before her (though K. Rool is likely to be in the actual Smash 4 so its moot).

As for Isaac, I have not seen any arguing aside from one person complaining how time consuming he would be to implement.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I know, but you have to realize that its extremely time consuming to make entirely original characters. Roy was a clone who already had his Melee incarnation as an idea-base, yet he still took at least 700 hours to implement.

Having one straight clone among five true newcomers is not going to be the end of the world.
I do realize it. But just because it's time consuming doesn't mean that we should exclude the possibility to certain characters.

If PMBR was worried about P:M being time consuming they wouldn't be making P:M in the first place.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I expect that the PMBR's approach to adding any entirely new characters would be to come up with a gameplay concept that's within their means, then choosing an available character that's appropriate for that.

For example, if they wanted to do a heavy character inspired by Jigglypuff's moveset, they could use Golem or another roundish heavy thing. Doesn't really matter what.

That may not be the best example, but I'm not exactly in the PMBR, so whatevs.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I do realize it. But just because it's time consuming doesn't mean that we should exclude the possibility to certain characters.

If PMBR was worried about P:M being time consuming they wouldn't be making P:M in the first place.
I'm actually on the same page as you (character such as Lyn and Isaac would be very time consuming). I am just saying that people shouldn't disqualify a character choice just because he/she will be a clone. Its actually a plus in the case of the Project M team.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
What's this Mewtwo in smash 4 thing about? That would be terrible if true.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As for Isaac, I have not seen any arguing aside from one person complaining how time consuming he would be to implement.

On this thread that was me, and my bigger concern was that he couldn't be made to the quality Project M deserves. The bigger arguments over how he should play, which is all over the net, and in the support thread. Defensive, offensive, quick, slow, bad/good recovery... pretty much the only commonly accepted feature is he's a ground fighter, and the extent of that is the base for a lot of debate too... it's gonna make some people annoyed whatever PMBR decide for him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
On this thread that was me, and my bigger concern was that he couldn't be made to the quality Project M deserves. The bigger arguments over how he should play, which is all over the net, and in the support thread. Defensive, offensive, quick, slow, bad/good recovery... pretty much the only commonly accepted feature is he's a ground fighter, and the extent of that is the base for a lot of debate too... it's gonna make some people annoyed whatever PMBR decide for him.
I still think on the whole Isaac would be among the best received characters they could probably choose.

However, it remains to be seen whether the Project M team can make an original fighter with a model and animations that is up to par with the rest of the Brawl cast.

Roy does inspire hope on that. However, these new future fighters would likely take far more work than Roy needed.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
What's this Mewtwo in smash 4 thing about? That would be terrible if true.

What's wrong with mewtwo in smash 4?
And it's considered highly likely given his importance in X and Y, similar to the Kanto starters for PKMN Trainer... there's talk about the place that this was decided purposefully to coincide with a new smash bros, though obviously these are just rumours.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Any character being included/excluded as well as how characters play is going to annoy people though. That's not even exclusive to mods, people get annoyed at "official" games with that too.

An example being Mario getting FLUDD in Brawl and his d-air being his Mario Tornado.

Tons of people are annoyed/upset with how the current cast plays in P:M compared to Melee/Brawl too I'm sure. You will never be able to help that.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Pretty sure he is trolling.

Sorry, the more I read this thread, the more I feel it's devolving into Miiverse style baseless speculation and over-expectation, and the more I treat everyone like the idiots on Miiverse... I just need to remind myself this is Smash Boards and the PMBR team are really good at what they do.

I'm still really worried that the Clone Engine is just a hornets nest we're all collectively kicking, but I'm confident the PMBR crew will consider that worry, and won't proceed to add characters if they can't do them justice... I guess I'm just more pessimistic than most for a fan project.

D

Deleted member

Alright, well since clone engine is a thing, I thought I'd post my thread and moveset for Lyn right here.

Just cause, I think Lyn and Isaac should TOTALLY be in P:M, and I'd like to see her incorporated with this idea:

The Moves:
STATS:
Weight: 82
Fall Speed: 2.4 http://www.ssbwiki.com/Falling_speed
Air Speed: 1.222 http://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_speed
Dash Speed: Rank 2 (Melee Fox, and Brawl C.Falcon) http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dashing
Rolling Frames- Forward: 6-19/23 Backward: 7-21/27 http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rolling
Jump Height: Rank 6, Melee Sheik, Force: 2.80 http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jumping
Traction: 0.08 http://www.ssbwiki.com/Traction
Learning Curve: Medium

ADVANTAGES:
-Great running speed and attack speed, as well as good air speed and solid traction giving her awesome mobility.
-Fall speed allows her to stay airborn long enough to maintain her aerial combos, but fall fast enough to keep her grounded to follow up.
-Fast sword strikes allow her to do combos flawlessly.
-Gatling cancels further facilitate this.
-Good knockback from some of her Smash attacks making her a lethal killer. Allowing her to score kills at around 100%.
-Best counter in the game is a very useful tool for approach and evasion.
-Great approach options, and strings.
-Her UpB is a very useful maneuver for follow ups and evasive maneuvers.
-Vanishing rolls, and Smash Charges can make her unpredicatable

DISADVANTAGES:
-Fast Fall speed combined with a poor 3rd Jump means she has a time recovering.
-No ranged attacks.
-Easily killed and her combo potential is diminsed at higher damage.
-Throws are useless offensively as they don't set up opponents. They're only useful defensively.
-Shorter attack range and relatively low stun damage puts her in harms way.

Specials
[COLLAPSE="Standard B: Counter"]

As I said, the best counter in the game, it comes out much faster than Marth's however, the timing is a bit more tricky, you have to be skilled in order to use this. Like all counters, she's invincible when DOING the counter. Also, in addition to using this technique, you have the opportunity to follow up with one of 4 commands, each one doing something different.

-Not doing a command will cause her to parry her opponent's attack and leave them open to a counter attack, she sets them up at her sweetspot, but does practically no damage doing this (1%-2%).

-Pressing A right after she counters her opponent's attack will cause her to counter attack with a rapid slash, it does decent damage (13%) and knockback allowing you to pursue your opponents.

-If you instead choose to press B, Lyn will vanish and appear behind her opponent and slash them with a powerful slash, this is a very quick move, however, the slight delay does allow your opponent some time to block if they see it coming, this is where the mind games come in as this is MUCH more powerful attack than the A variation, doing 16% damage and very good knockback, still not quite a killing move, but at high damages it just might earn you a KO.

-Your final option is pressing Jump and any direction (or no direction), with which Lyn will vanish and reappear a short distance away in the direction you pressed. She doesn't cover mush ground with this, but enough for evasive maneuvers. This is essentially her defense against Powerful Ranged Attacks and Explosives, but it can also be used for mind games.

Now, in addition to all this, whiffing Lyn's counter has less delay than Marth's, Peach's, Ike's or even Meta Knight's. This is done due to how tricky the timing can be on it (about as tricky as Hakumen's drive), but she's still open to a counter-attack from quick attacks. Also, her counter works on everything from attacks to projectiles to command grabs (like Bowser's Side B), not Normal Grabs (Z/Shield+A) though.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Side B: Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki (someone more creative can rename this)"]

She pushes the ground with her front foot and vanishes appearing a certain distance from her starting location. It has much less range than Fox's Illusion, but it is an effective killing move. She only attacks if she catches an opponent with it, so outside of that, it's an OK recovery move as it can also be used in mid-air. It has landing lag on both occasion, but double if she attacks, and the knockback only happens when she sheathes her sword having a delayed effect, so she DOES leave herself exposed to attack for a bit, but you have to be quick. It does 13% damage if it hits, and opponents are sent flying downward.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="UpB: Leap of Faith"]

She kicks off the ground doing a high leap, landing back on the ground safely. It is a very quick jump, and if used on the ground it can be used as an evasive failsafe as most of her moves can cancel into it. This attack does no damage, but it is very functional, Lyn never goes into recovery mode allowing Lyn to use this move as a sort of High Jump or Jump cancel to follow up with combos. Likewise, it can be cancelled out of my most of her techniques as well. The height of the move is about the same height as her regular jumps, however it is MUCH quicker than her normal jumps, making it a great move for combos.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="DownB: Suio-ryu Iai Kenpou"]

She draws her sword and does a rapid slash. This move is delay-able allowing her to concentrate, thus increasing the damage, knockback and range a bit. The high angle of the move makes it a good Anti-Air move, and the fact that you can delay it makes for good mindgames. You can only delay it for a maximum of 2 seconds. 9% damage uncharged, 14% fully charged. It launches opponents upward a set distance regardless of charge and damage. Obviously it's also usable in the air as well. [/COLLAPSE]

Normal Attacks

Her normal attacks are divided into slashes and kicks, learning to flow between them is the best way to effectively use her offensive prowess.

A = Lyn hits with the hilt of her sword. After landing this hit you can press A again and she will perform a Knee Strike to the Solar Plexus. Finaly, press A 3rd time and she stabs her opponent's foot with her sword. It is a quick move and hits low, it also causes opponents to bounce upon getting hit. Setting them up for combos.
Damage: 1st hit: 2%, 2nd hit: 4%, 3rd hit: 5%

><+A = Lyn does a rounhouse kick with her back leg towards her opponent's head and continues the spin leaving her back exposed. You can then press A again to do a reverse horizontal slash with her sword similar to Kenshin's Ryu Kan Sen (not exactly like it, it would be similar to TKD's reverse side kick (or back kick) for those who know MA, but with a sword, however that's the best example I can think of). Both of these moves are great Anti-Air techs, however the 2nd strike is slower to come out and tricky to time properly. 2nd hit is also a launcher.
Damage: 1st hit: 8% 2nd hit: 12%

^+A = This is similar to Kenshin's Ryu Shou Sen: A rising attack where she places her hand on the bottom of the blade and holds it horizontally above her head, then rises straight up, aimed at the opponent's neck. Opponents are sent downward when hit by this, setting them up for Lyn's Dair.
Damage: 11%

v+A = Lyn sticks her leg out and does a low hitting roundhouse kick at her opponents feet. It is a good footsie poke with some slide. It is a decent approach move. Pressing ><+A again at the end of the move will cause Lyn to slide toward her opponent doing a quick slash aimed at their torso. When hit by this opponents will be launched.
Damage: 1st hit: 5%, 2nd hit: 9%

Dash+A = Lyn vanishes, does a slight jump, and does 3 quick stabs aimed at her opponent's neck. You can see this move in the .gif. Not one of her best approach moves, though it can cause for some good mind games.
Damage: 3% per slash.

Smash
Note that while charging a Smash Attack Lyn takes the same exact Battoujutsu style stance for all 3 of her Smash Attacks, this makes her unpredictable and is a core feature of her character, given that Battoujutsu is built on the premise of speed and unpredictability.

[COLLAPSE="Kenshin"]
[/COLLAPSE]

><+Smash = She does a forward horizontal slash similar to Kenshin's Sou Ryu Ken. In a typical Samurai fashion, the damage has a slight (wind-like) delay effect. At the end of this attack, if timed properly (now this is tricky), you can press A again to do two more successive rapid "heavy" slashes. Pretty much video related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIVxm6eKBA. The follow up can only be done on the charged version. The first hit has a vaccum-like effect that pulls her opponents to her, the 2nd slash is a great killing move.
Damage: 1st hit: 9-13% 2nd hit: 2%, 3rd hit: 15%

^+Smash = She does an upward slash in an arching motion. The amount of charge determines the angle of the slash. No Charge is a 50 degree angle, half and full charge is 90 degree. At 90 degrees it is one of Lyn's best KO moves. Here's a filler sprite for it:http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/images/e/e4/BBCS_Jin_Rehhyou.png
Damage: 15-24%

v+Smash = If uncharged, she simply spins in place while crouched and does a full crescent horizontal slash that covers both sides. Fully charged it's more similar to Zoro's Tatsumaki from One Piece, minus the ridiculous lasting tornado. This is the best visual representation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHHl0sC78jI. Essentially, her crowd breaker, mostly useful for multiple enemies, though it can be great during certain situations. Though her other Smash Attacks set up better.
Damage: 12-21%

Aerial Moves

Lyn's aerial game is phenomenal. She has to be very close to her opponents in the air to land her moves, however, this is where she racks up damage the most quickly. Effective use of her UpB to follow up into quick combos is what makes Lyn a lethal opponent.

Nair = Lyn does a very quick horizontal slash. This attack has almost no knockback, but instead pulls opponents toward her. Tap A again, and Lyn will cancel into a different slash. You can tap A up to six times with this move doing 6 very quick slashes. It serves a very good combo filler than can rack up damage quickly.

Damage: 2-4% per slash.

Uair = She does a horizontal spin (she turns her body horizontally while doing a 540* rotation), and does an (upward) slash by extending her arm. This is a good K.O. move but the timing has to be perfect.
Damage: 13%

Fair = Lyn does a front flip while swinging her sword vertically above her head. She spins 3x each spin causing damage and travels forward and down for a short distance, there is little knockback from this move and it serves as mostly combo filler.
Damage: 5% x3.

Bair = A Mule Kick similar to Sheik's, but with slightly more punch if she hits from up close. One of her best aerial approach options.
Damage: 6% (10% up close)

Dair = Essentially Kenshin's Ryu Tsui Sen, she faces the ground and dives towards it while pointing her blade downward, with a slight angle. You can see it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5-jY0jGhk at 2:45, except Kenshin does more of a slash. My idea is more like, the dive itself if the slash. The stance is the similar though. You can also see Lyn do this same exact stance in her critical hit .gif. What's unique about this move is that the animation allows for it to be used in conjuntion with her U+A, you can do her U+A right after this move. The slash of this sends her opponents upward allowing you to combo withU+A. This attack is great for set ups, however, at higher damages it hits too hard to be a proper set up move.
Damage: 10%

Throws

Lyn's throws are meant to be more defensive than set ups. Thus most of them focus on getting her opponents off of her.

Pummel = Knees opponent in the Solar plexus.
Damage: 2% per hit.

Down = She slams her opponent on the ground, mounts them in missionary possition, and stabs downward with her sword at her opponent's neck.
Damage: 10%

Up = She steps on her opponent's foot and does an upward slash as if she were slicing her opponents in two; opponents are flung upward.
Damage: 6%

Forward = She stabs her opponent in the torso and then kicks them away.
Damage: 7%

Back = She spins the opponent around, steps behind them and gets them in a choke hold placing her sword at their throat, and the slices. As they fall, she kicks them away from her with a side kick.
Damage: 7%

Taunts

1. She turns around and whispers something, while Sakura flower petals blow in the wind.

2. Draws her sword, inspects it closely, and slashed toward her side as if to "clean the blood" a small gust appears at the ground, she twirls the sword and re-sheaths it.

3. Draws her sword places it horizontally above her brow as if glaring at her opponent, says some thing about honor in Japanese and re-sheaths it

FINAL SMASH

Her critical hit in her .gif. After grabbing the Smash Orb, you must strike your opponent (like Ike's), and the opponent is then "paralyzed", she then does and upward slash with a back flip, and vanishes into thin air, only to reappear at all sides above her opponent in 5 copies and bring a maelstrom of pain down on them. The opponent is then thrown flying of the stage for a K.O.

COMBAT FOCUS:
Being a Battoujutsu/Iaijutsu user, she always has her sword sheathed when running, jumping, crouching, etc... The only times she draws it are when she attacks. That is the premise behind this fighting style.

Lyn's combat prowess is focused on Speed and Combos as previously said. Her character has an emphasis on mobility and approach, she has very quick and very good offense, with very stylized, swift sword slashes. She can string opponents into relativeley long combos in the right hands. A lot of her moves have gattling cancels, meaning she's able to flow from one move to another rather well as faster moves will cancel into slower moves allowing for quick combos.

This is where I pause to explain the difference between Lyn's sword attacks and kicking techs. Whenever Lyn does a sword based tech, she has some frame delay while she resheathes her sword. The recovery lag doesn't last long, but long enough to prevent combos. Effective use of her techs is what makes her a good fighter. To prevent this, you must cancel into other sword techs before she resheathes. You cannot cancel from sword techs to kicks or throws. This means that Lyn has to rely on gatling cancels to keep the flow going. Now while this may seem complicated at first, it's actually rather intutive, as it makes logical sense.

Also, as her focus is on quick speed and fast combos, her jumps are a bit shallow compared to Marth (I would say similar to C.Falcon, but with Fox's falling speed, Marth is too floaty for her playstyle), however her attack speed and running speed are much greater. She does more damage at closer ranges, given that her focus is all about running up and getting real close to do combos. The idea is to allow her the opportunity to do Guilty Gear style combos (think Chipp). I feel her running speed would be very similar to Fox's. Making her one of the faster characters in the game.

As I said before, she vanishes during her rolls, similar to how Slayer in GG vanishes during his dashes, this adds to her unpredictability. She has some of the fastest attack speed in the game, and the fastest running speed out of all the sword users.

Her weaknesses lie in her light stun damage in a lot of her moves, likewise her lack of long range moves, meaning she must rely on her counter to deal with those situations. Also, previously mentioned. Lyn is rather frail for a middle weight, it is the setback of her swift speed. When she's taken high damage she has a hard time setting up and following combos, meaning Lyn must be quick to earn her kill, thus making her a momentum character like Marth, but with much more risk-reward oriented.

COMMON COMBOS:

Dtilt>NeutA>2nd Hit>3rd Hit>Ftilt>2nd Hit>UpB>Nair x6>Fair>Dair>Utilt>Dair>USmash

Neut A>2nd hit>3rd hit>FSmash>Dash Cancle>DashA>Dtilt>2nd hit>DashCancel>USmash>Uair

From (A) Counter: SH>Nair x6>Fair>Side B
From (A) Counter: SH>Nair x6>Fair>FF>DownB>UpB>UAir

SH>Bair>SH>Bair>DSmash>Jump Cancel>Nair x6>Dair>Utilt>Dair>USmash

And the thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/緑天龍-green-heavenly-dragon-fire-emblems-green-haired-lethal-beauty-lyndis.329084/

Tell me your thoughts.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Krystal is another character that would end up being very controversial (probably even more so than Waluigi). At least half of Smash Bros. and Star Fox fans hate her and the post-64 games.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Lyn would be nice, but I think it would be cool to see a lord that is less sword based. : /
Ephraim anyone?Hector?...
B-but... It's a KATANA... ;_;

We don't have ANY Katana users in Smash.

Also, why don't we give Ike Axes? I mean, he can use them...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
So for Roy did they import his character model from Melee or make a brand new character model for him? If they imported then why not consider Micaiah and Sothe from Radiant Dawn? With Zelda and Sheik as their base. Not sure how this process works but just a thought.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
I was saying the announcement of Mewtwo in smash 4 would be bad if it makes him ineligible to return to Project M.

I would much rather have Mewtwo in Project M than Smash 4, but if he can make a return in both, then I have no problem with it.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I think the problem with that is the simple fact that Ragnall is considered a vital blade of the series, and as we've seen, it's kind of the lords' thing to wield their corresponding icon weapon. Plus, Lyn is still and assist trophy, which does here more harm than good. This means that adding her would semi-imply that a new assist trophy be added, which is probably still a hassle. Not to mention, these characters are meant to be based off of existing characters, and Lyn in your terms doesn't quite have a match. Hector could work over Ike............just sayin'.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
So for Roy did they import his character model from Melee or make a brand new character model for him? If they imported then why not consider Micaiah and Sothe from Radiant Dawn? With Zelda and Sheik as their base. Not sure how this process works but just a thought.
Have you not read the giant post specifically regarding how Roy was implemented and how the clone engine works? Here: http://projectmgame.com/en/news/clone-engine-blogpost-limits-restrictions-and-possibilities

Short answer is, Roy was absolutely not imported. It doesn't work remotely like that.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Concerning the Mewtwo subject in Smash 4. I highly doubt Nintendo is the type of company that would include a character in Smash, take him out in the sequel that came out seven years later, to the add him to the newest game which is about five or six years apart. No matter how relevant said character may be, I highly doubt they'd leave someone out of one of their games only to re-introduce them later in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom