• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
LOL **** right he better step his **** up if he thinks hes a critic, and that's his list. A lot of them are good/ok movies, but they aint masterpieces. I haven't seen Usual Suspects though, but i heard its realllly good.

LOL you talk about hating overrated popular ****?? YET you got slumdog on there.......

I've got a lot of favorites, but I'll just say my all time favorite; The Shawshank Redemption.
Shawshank Redemption was soooooooo good. I haven't watched that movie enough. BTW, Usual Suspects is **** too IMO.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Slumdog Millionaire is an overrated piece of ****.

There were so many holes in the story, and when the children are the best actors in your movie, you have a problem with your cast.

I guarantee you, come a few years from now, people will look back at it and call it overrated.

I mean, I'm not against love stories, but when there's no real indication anywhere in the film of why this chick should be in love with the main actor, it becomes a bit unbelievable that either of them would go through all that **** just to be together.

It became predictable as well. Predictability is ok in films as long as what you are predicting can be compelling anyways.

Like, you know he's gonna give some story about how he knows who Ben Franklin is. But then some homeless kid just tells him the guy on his 100$ bill is ben franklin ? It doesn't really do much to get you involved with the story or the characters. They might as well have flashed back to him taking an american history class that tells him the same thing. Showing us that would have been just as involving.

Good movie, but...not that great.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
You're not. I hear that film officially triggers a chemical reaction that activates the right hormones to cause your balls to drop. It's true. I seen it.

VANS

Smash Ace
my top movies consist of!!!!!!:
stranger than fiction
the notebook
dark knight

and some others worth mentioning:
shawshank redemption
the truman show
clue
the curious case of benjamin button

BUT WAIT theres more!
ill list them later tho

no one better bash on me n say i suck for liking these certain movies

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
I'm not a pro at determining good or bad movies, so I'd like to emphasize that my favorite movies are generally personal favorites. So here are movies that I enjoyed (for short and long term):

Batman: The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Pulp Fiction

Swing Kids
The Pianist
Schindler's List

Titanic
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Truman Show

Ratatouille
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story 1 & 2

Night at the Roxbury
Bruce Lee movies (dubbed by my sister & I)
Clue

Those are just a few.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
The Patriot (who cares for historical inaccuracies? s#!+ was r@pe!)

Chicago

The Green Mile

Shawshank Redemption

Lord of the Rings The Return of the King

(where are the cartoon Disney movies at?)
about ****ING time someone mentioned Shawshank Redemption.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
whoops. didn't see that very last sentence, i was just skimming for title names.

rush hour is a good movie. not like a classic movie, but its good enough where whenever its on tv i HAFTO watch it to the end.

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
Rocky I
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Rambo (IV)

Wait...

joeplicate

Smash Master
OH ****

I almost forgot about
The Hills Have Eyes (not the garbage sequel made by a different ****tier director)

and Predator

those are movies that I love

Kira-

Smash Champion
To all you Slumdog haters:

true, the love story was whatevers, I also didn't care much for it

but the score, direction, editing, the camera angles/scenery/etc. was top notch, it really deserved all the **** it got those oscars for

also yes it was predictable, you knew what was going to happen from the start (especially where the game show host writes "B" on the mirror lmao)

despite that it was very well-told

The Big Lebowski
Sadly I haven't seen The Big Lebowski, been meaning to for awhile now.

dr strangelove *****

honestly I thought donnie darko was overhyped and only good because jaded 17-20 year olds really liked it and because it had that mad world cover
completely agree donnie darko wasn't that good unless you were emo

sorry cam =P

you better step ya game up if you consider yourself a critic
don't say something like that and then not provide any of your own suggestions, your post is empty the way it is

And Kira, what do you like about There Will Be Blood? I found it boring and very very sloooow, yet it somehow got movie of the year so there must be something Im missing
Also as far as Darjeeling Unlimited goes, boring and nothing happened. Being high must have made the difference
dude it was a masterpiece.

first of all daniel day-lewis' performance was ridiculous
secondly the score, while not CATCHY, was brilliant. notice how it's all rhythms and beats, then right after the final scene they whip out the orchestra.
then the personal battle that the main character and the priest dude (Paul Dano, who also did a great job btw), and the cruelties that they commit/experience, the cast's expressions and reactions and the overall tone were very well-done
other stuff like the scene where his son re-visits his old man and when he's drunk and is "making a fool of himself" in front of all the business men at the bar (like 2/3rds into the movie), captures emotions pretty accurately

the final scene was also perfect imo

I've got a lot of favorites, but I'll just say my all time favorite; The Shawshank Redemption.
kinda embarrassed to say but i havent been able to get around to that, i had it at one point but never saw it for whatever reason

i've heard nothing but amazing **** about it tho, like best movie of all time and stuff

kira heres some foreign films i liked:

Pan's Labyrinth - Spanish
Old Boy - Korean
Bounce Ko Gals - Japanese
pan's labyrinth *****, ****in SADD though

old boy was alright. zhu said it was his favorite movie too but i wasn't a big fan

didn't see the last one

thanks everyone else for the foreign suggestions

Z

Zenting

i really wanted pans labyrinth so be sad but iirc there was some irrefutable evidence that it was all real and not in her head
i think it had something to do with the creature under the bed

and ko gals is some movie from the 90s i found on youtube and really liked

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i only watch a movie for the score other than that the person i go watch it with has to convince me
i dont care for actors only a well written plot which happen to be rare these days

Celph

Smash Journeyman
don't say something like that and then not provide any of your own suggestions, your post is empty the way it is
i'm lazy

and i mentioned clerks and office space noob

everything kevin smith does is watchable on some level, and his best is amazing. clerks and jay and bob strike back are amazing. mallrats is good. i'm about to watch dogma now but i hear it's decent.

training day is my favorite guilty pleasure movie; it tells its little story in a very entertaining way with some great acting. plus that **** is mad funny when you watch it faded.

sling blade, reservoir dogs, death proof, aladdin, there's some other good stuff mentioned in the thread. but i'm not big on movies and most "good" movies i see tend to disappoint heavily, so i don't think i've seen what's so great about the art form yet.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i actual enjoy kevin smith movies
dogma is pretty good for certain reasons
like on the way it takes the church and stuff

SuperRad

Smash Master
whats interesting about dogma is that it isn't anti-religion, its just what kevin smith wrote while he was a having a crisis of faith
so while it does make a commentary on religion and the catholic faith, it isn't like a "lol religions dumm" movie.

edit:
hoooly ****
i got smashed and watched predator last weekend
good times

Z

Zenting

when i was a child i woke up in the middle of the night and came out into the living room to find my dad watching a movie. i asked him "daddy what are you watching" and he told me Predator, and then described the plot of the movie to me over the roar of the guns. then i saw the black guy get ***** and i closed my eyes and ran back to my room and didnt sleep for a long long time

Top Bottom