• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

BobbySiege

Smash Rookie
Someone told me the spoiler to Shutter Island already. In the end, the detective is really just Leonardo DiCaprio.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I saw Brick. SUPER entertaining, so glad I finally got around to it. The characters and dialogue are really intriguing, you never get bored. I like how the main character wasn't invincible as well- makes everything much more believable. Also the part where the main character takes off his shoes and slides (trying to keep it detail-free) was awesome to watch lol.

Story-wise it wasn't the most innovative or convoluted plot I've ever seen but the important part was that it was solid and didn't disappoint, allowing the stronger points of the film to shine through without distraction. Would say more but it's really fun to watch, hooks you right from the start. You won't regret watching this.

Also, it is NOT too hard to follow along. Just keeps you guessing and paying attention =)

SuperRad

Smash Master
it's not supposed to be innovative, the whole point is that it's a classic noir style story retold in a high school setting.
my biggest, and basically only, problem with brick was that it was occasionally hard to hear the dialog. it never really detracted from my ability to follow the movie, but it did take me out of it a little bit.

Kira-

Smash Champion
aright well it was awesome lol. i just turned up the volume pretty high and sat really close to the TV.. so we didn't have much of a problem with hearing

DJMirror

Smash Master
I'm not a movie type of person so does anyone know a good movie to watch while you're at work?

SuperRad

Smash Master
I'm not a movie type of person so does anyone know a good movie to watch while you're at work?
depends, is everyone going to be able to see it or just you?
if everyone is going to be able to see it, watch old disney or pixar movies. family friendly so you dont have to worry about offending people, and they're still really entertaining.

if it's something only you can see, get some good action movies that aren't super storyline heavy. that way if you have to pause/stop paying attention to it you wont miss out on much.

DJMirror

Smash Master
It's fine I have maple covering me while i'm watching lol

JK well at least after work for sure tho haha

BobbySiege

Smash Rookie
American Beauty. Good for home, not for the work environment.

If you want a movie for work that you can tune in and out of whenever you want, watch District B13. There's not enough plot or character development to justify paying attention to, but it's always fun to see people do flips 'n sheet.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I wouldn't recommend you watch any GOOD movie while at work cause you want to be able to absorb the whole experience and not be distracted and have some of the magic taken away from you.

So watch a crappy action movie or a comedy.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
it could actually be a v good idea to watch a good movie (like fargo or something) in the background just to get the gist of it and let it soak in, because it always takes you multiple viewings to fully understand a movie's nuances anyway

so i guess fargo's your recommendation

SuperRad

Smash Master
has anyone seen Miami Vice? I watched it last night, and thought it was pretty **** cool.

Some of the acting is pretty bad, but it didn't bother me that much. It's not an over the top action movie (like Bad Boys 2), it's more of a serious crime drama. There's some cool cinematography and the action is engaging and really cleanly shot.

I don't really understand why it was panned when it came out. I went into it with really low expectations and thought they made a much better movie than I would've expected.

edit: In case anyone cares, it's directed by Michael Mann, the director of Heat. He knows how to shoot a movie.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
1. Fellowship of the Ring is the best LOTR movie by far. You must be crazy if you don't think so.

2. Brick is fantastic, I saw it when it first came out in theaters... it's the most wonderfully depressing movie I have ever seen.

3. Air Bud

SuperRad

Smash Master
i can't tell if people say things are 'so cash' ironically or not. it kinda bothers me.

I watched Collateral (starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx) last night. I was really impressed, again, by Michael Mann. He really knows how to make a good dark, moody movie. I liked it more than Miami Vice, but less than Heat.

I also watched two Coen Brothers movies I hadn't seen before recently.
The first, was "A Serious Man". Technically, the movie is flawless. The cinematography, costumes, acting, setting are all perfectly spot on. Most people who see this will probably say it was 'pointless'. I thought it was an interesting story about a man dealing with different challenges that are in front of him.
Apparently the book is supposed to be similar to the Book of Job, but I have limited biblical knowledge so I will not comment on that.
I think that even if you watch it and say it's pointless or you don't care for the movie, it's worth watching for the acting, directing and cinematography.

The second movie I watched was "The Man Who Wasn't There". It's another well shot and acted movie, although this time it's a black and white noir story. I don't really know how to describe the plot without giving too much away, but Billy Bob Thornton plays a Barber in a small town in the 40s. He's a quiet man who is living a simple life, but finds himself getting caught up in a web of crime and lies. I really liked this one, and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good noir flick.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I bought the English Patient recently and stopped watching it an hour in due to boredom, not sure how it swept the 1996 Academy Awards

I'm curious if anyone else has seen it and how my opinion compares

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
dantefox, are you trying to troll me or are you really that dumb?

I've also never watched Seinfield, so I have no idea how she acts

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
haha you didnt know who calvin and hobbes were, and then you didnt ever watch seinfeld. what a pair

DanteFox

Smash Champion
haha you didnt know who calvin and hobbes were, and then you didnt ever watch seinfeld. what a pair
lol I knew who they were, but his avatar is really small so I couldn't make them out. when I asked him he told me calvin and hobbes, so then I searched for a bigger version of his avatar and realized what he meant.

Top Bottom