• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cliché Thread: Best Film I've Ever Seen

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Forest Gump
LOTR II and III
Shawshank redemption
Gladiator
The Matrix

SuperRad

Smash Master
The thing about Tarantino movies that I think is pretty amazing is that they are generally unpredictable. At any moment the storyline can take an unexpected turn, characters can die without notice, etc. The generally sharp dialog also helps.

I think part of the problem is if you are a 'late viewer' of Tarantino's movies, you have to deal with everyone saying they are amazing. I saw Pulp Fiction when I was pretty young (11 or 12) and it was before my peers were all about them. Hype leads to disappointment more than anything else.

GSUB

Smash Lord
The thing about Tarantino movies that I think is pretty amazing is that they are generally unpredictable. At any moment the storyline can take an unexpected turn, characters can die without notice, etc. The generally sharp dialog also helps.
I think that you should also add to this, is that these unpredictable and unexpected turns actually work out for the best.

Because any movie can take unexpected turns, and characters can die without notice; but Tarantino makes it work, and his movies are better because of it.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Tarantino films are some of the most overrated s#!+ out there! I saw Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs for the first time ever sometime last year and was not too impressed!
You weren't impressed by Pulp Fiction? I think it warrants a revisiting...Quite honestly I can't think of a more stylish, more quintessentially LA film I've seen. It's overblown, it's melodramatic, yeah, but part of watching anything Tarantino's done is just going with it, you know?

Out of curiosity, what sort of movie do you usually like?

PS: You should read Ebert's review of Pulp Fiction, I mean it's one of his "Great Movies" for chrissakes, claiming PF to be "overrated s#!+" needs to be justified!

spoilers herein:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20010610/REVIEWS08/106100301/1023

GSUB

Smash Lord
I don't think reading a review of a movie someone has already seen is gonna make them change their mind on it.
Even if it's by the best reviewer ever, and it's "the best movie ever."

Just because it's supposed to be the best male dildo ever, doesn't mean I'm gonna like it in my ***hole because James Earl Jones said I should.

I still need to see Pulp Fiction though . . . hah

Adam M!

Smash Lord
Atlus is proud of his opinion, which just proves that he's trolling in his own way. He may really believe it's overrated, but at the same time there's no way in hell he's going to provide any logical justification for it. It's just like those people that say "[Critically acclaimed] is awful!" Okay, it's cool you think that -- that either means you're ridiculously wrong or it just wasn't for you, because artfully speaking it's already proven to be amazing without your justification. It just sucks for you that you aren't able to experience the awesomeness everyone else has. It **** sure isn't going to change anyone else's opinion, so why are you posting? To be a contrarian? Stfu troll

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I saw Reservoir Dogs a couple weeks ago. Good movie. Not amazing, but good. The only thing that bugged me was some of the things that are in the movie for no reason (mr. blue, the fact that they bother to show mr. orange putting on a ring, etc.). also, I could've done without the gruesome torture scene but I guess that's just an artistic choice.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Atlus is...trolling in his own way...there's no way in hell he's going to provide any logical justification for it
Hmm...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

i wish you didnt post like a pretentious *******
What's the pretense? I don't think I understand...

Kidding.

Anyway, does anyone reading dislike Tarantino (specifically PF) but like Snatch? Guy Richie pretty much adapted Tarantino's directing style for that movie (it even has a *****ing soundtrack) but it's more modern, easier and more overtly fun than PF.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Kick *** comes out soon, I'm looking forward to that.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
well good news for you. i would call it an action/adventure styled metroidvania game

theres not a **** ****ing ton of gear to get, and backtracking is minimal

but you are still side scrolling and exploring like exactly what you want

base its perfect for you and everyone

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Yeah, Futurama did that first atlus, and they did it in about 20 minutes. You can go ahead and watch your big, long, hour to two hours, drawn out dog waits for master movies if you want though.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The Hachiko thing is based on a supposedly true story. There is a Hachiko statue in Shibuya today.

Signia

Smash Lord
well good news for you. i would call it an action/adventure styled metroidvania game

theres not a **** ****ing ton of gear to get, and backtracking is minimal

but you are still side scrolling and exploring like exactly what you want

base its perfect for you and everyone
Cave Story, otherwise known as Doukustu Monogatari is a doujin 2d platformer/shooter with exploration elements. In other words, a japanese indie metroidvania.

Nintendo should make a metroidvania with Melee characters/controls, it would be so successful. It would have to heavily test your tech skill though, not like Melee's adventure mode or Nintendo's latest releases.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Some more movies I've seen recently that I really liked

American Psycho
Big Fish (best burton movie imo)
Inglorious Basterds
Paranormal activity (mostly because of how it was filmed)
Zombieland

I also really enjoyed the Strangers, although I've had people tell me it was ****ty.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Nintendo should make a metroidvania with Melee characters/controls, it would be so successful. It would have to heavily test your tech skill though, not like Melee's adventure mode or Nintendo's latest releases.
that would be awesome, except it would not sell because very few people in this world have tech skill. if it encouraged people to get tech skill and play melee that would be cool though

Also I saw The Cove (Oscar-winning documentary). Really good stuff, I was not hyped at ALL to watch a movie about dolphins but it got me to help out their cause in the end

n1000

Smash Journeyman
I'm considering seeing When You're Strange, the new movie about The Doors. The Doors' keyboardist, Ray Manzarek said "This will be the true story of the Doors," as opposed to that Oliver Stone movie.

Anyway it's opening tonight in a theater in San Fancisco and three places in LA. I'm gonna see it in Pasadena. Thought I'd mention for any other Doors fans who don't have anything to do on Friday night and didn't already know about this...

Top Bottom