• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clawing? (controller-holding style)

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I've played a lot of Brawl, and currently starting to play some Melee too. My question is: now that I'm starting to play Melee, is Clawing (w/ right hand) even more important, less important, or doesn't even matter? I'm fine doing it as long as it does benefit me. It seems to let me get my aerials out faster.

Do a lot of you use Clawing? I wouldn't say I'm 100% comfortable with it yet, but soon I will be if I keep practicing. Is it beneficial in the long run?

Thanks.

-edit: btw the Clawing I'm doing is with thumb on C-stick/A/B and index on Y. I don't use Z or R.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Claw style is mostly relegated to a few circus freaks here and there, but do whatever you find beneficial. None of it is "necessary."

Welcome to an AWESOME game btw :troll:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Playing overhand (aka Clawing) is mostly a preference, but can be easier for precise button inputs as fingers are more dexterous than thumbs, especially for button mashing. Use whatever feels best for you.

I've seen Silent Wolf's hands when he plays and he mostly plays underhand with his fingers sneaking over the R button when he needs to do technical stuff, so don't think that you're limiting yourself if you choose to play underhand.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
It depends on your personal preference and playstyle. It really doesn't limit tech skill to play with a regular grip (at least I don't think it does, lol), but there are circumstances where clawing sometimes makes certain inputs easier. I'd say to just try both grips out and see which feels most natural/grants you the most consistency with your inputs. Do what feels good and you can't go wrong.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I switch between normal and claw when appropriate during gameplay. I don't really think about it anymore. I claw when I need instant SH c-stick aerials or DJ aerials.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I dont think it matters, in really tight situations I switch to claw to make things faster. but its really a situational skill imo

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys. So if you don't claw, do you use A for a lot of your aerials and only C-stick them if you want to move in the opposite direction of your aerial or something?

The thread should of just ended here.
Merry Christmas

P-99

Smash Cadet
Silent Wolf doesn't claw, which means nobody should claw.
The real question is: Does Dark claw? ;)

But OT I claw a lot when playing jiggs for example. The reason is that I can jump with the index finger and simultaneously do the aerials with the thumb on the C-Stick which is much easier and more precise because I have two fingers instead of one (normal style would be thumb only) for the inputs. When I think about it I just don't claw the whole time because my thumb is faster and I need it for short hops with faster characters and also the timing is better (needed for wavedashes for example).

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Thanks guys. So if you don't claw, do you use A for a lot of your aerials and only C-stick them if you want to move in the opposite direction of your aerial or something?
I only really use A for my Nair, and the C-stick for pretty much every other aerial (though sometimes I'll use A if I'm going for a full hop knee or full hop upair or something). That way I can have a direction inputted and an aerial inputted, but it allows for retreating nairs and bairs and all that stuff (also non-fastfalled dairs, which are handy sometimes). I'm used to the speed of doing all my aerials with the C-stick without clawing, even if I'm trying to do instant upairs, so clawing doesn't really help me that much in that regard.

I switch between normal and claw when appropriate during gameplay. I don't really think about it anymore. I claw when I need instant SH c-stick aerials or DJ aerials.
this is what i do. i didnt realize i was even doing the claw for certain things for a while lol

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Silentwolf. you should make a video of your hands while you play. I'd like to see how you do certain craps.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I've tried right hand clawing but honestly I find it easier to SH with my thumb than with my index finger

Maybe a sliding motion would make it easier

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
the claw is super fun but it hurts after a few hours

also sometimes when i'm trying to upb the fleshy part of my thumb accidentally moves the cstick down and makes me do a down air when i'm trying to recover

use the claw anyway

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
its only for preference, I use a right hand claw with index finger on Y, middle finger on Z, ring on R, and thumb on the C-stick. Does it make since? Kind of. Is it going to be the reason why I lose a match? No. Just do what works

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Silentwolf. you should make a video of your hands while you play. I'd like to see how you do certain craps.
I was watching his hands a regional earlier this month and iirc SW holds his controller mostly regularly but rests his middle finger on R and his index finger on or on front of z. He uses his index finger for z and y for certain shine techs, but also jumps with his thumb (idr if he uses x or y) for more simple things. Correct me if I'm wrong SW, since you're already in the thread and obviously would know more than me about this lol.

As for myself, I have no need to claw being a puff player.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I just use Z to instantly releases aeriels for full hops. C stick for shffls.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I just use Z to instantly releases aeriels for full hops. C stick for shffls.
But with Z you're not able to have total directional influence over your character since you're bound to whatever direction you're performing the aerial in (to an extent). Doesn't that affect overall metagame? (btw im asking because im new and dont know haha, not trying to be a prick)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
But with Z you're not able to have total directional influence over your character since you're bound to whatever direction you're performing the aerial in (to an extent). Doesn't that affect overall metagame? (btw im asking because im new and dont know haha, not trying to be a prick)
It's cool haha. With Puff you're not bound to the direction when using Z/A, unlike most characters puff has incredibly good aeriel mobility and can completely change direction very quickly during a jump. That's why I use c-stick for shffls still, because with such little air time you need the mobility. With full hops you can still have almost complete mobility with the analogue stick after leaving the ground.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Someone once told me that I was clawing, and I wasn't even aware. It's something I started using before I knew what the method was, so I'm inclined to believe that you just natural lean towards using certain methods for things, and that there *generally* isn't a "best method." I use it for float cancelling aerials with Peach, and for running JC upsmash with Fox. It really is a matter of personal preference, although I can see situations in which it's more beneficial to claw. I recommend learning how to claw JC upsmash with Fox, if you use him. That makes your world a whole lot easier.

Again, other than that, it's all preference.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
But jc upsmashes are so much easier if you just use the analogue stick and A. But I guess the extra charging frame is a bit of a downside.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
On the same token, consistency of performance > saving one frame.

I can't even sort of jc usmash with x/y. :p

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Touché, Krynxe. Touché. Then, I guess it just comes down to whatever fits naturally.

The Star King

Smash Hero
But jc upsmashes are so much easier if you just use the analogue stick and A. But I guess the extra charging frame is a bit of a downside.
You can use up on control stick and up on C stick for no charging frames and no clawing required. I GOT THE BEEEEEEEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i also do the up c stick and analog stick thing

i find it to be a lot easier than the a + analog stick thing, especially for usmashing oos

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to be such a noob, but can someone explain JC Up Smash? I'm assuming JC is Jump-Cancelled, but I still don't know what that is or how to do it/make use of it haha.

Thanks guys

~newbie at SSBM

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to be such a noob, but can someone explain JC Up Smash? I'm assuming JC is Jump-Cancelled, but I still don't know what that is or how to do it/make use of it haha.

Thanks guys

~newbie at SSBM
with a couple of moves you jump do the move and still be on the ground if you do it fast enough

and example of this is up smashing. like out of a dash or out of shield or shine. like if you're shielding you press up then c-stick up after the jump but before you really leave the ground you'll upsmash on the floor.

sorry if my explanation isn't too good, i'm really really distracted by how i met your mother. the guy is always talking about how he met his kids' mother but it takes him at least 5 seasons to meet the goddamn lady. i'm assuming the she'll show up in the 5th season finale but so far this season has too many damn episodes

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. So, what is the advantage of doing that? Can you not up-smash out of dash/shield/shine under normal circumstances? Or is it just faster to do it with a JC or something?

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. So, what is the advantage of doing that? Can you not up-smash out of dash/shield/shine under normal circumstances? Or is it just faster to do it with a JC or something?
as far as i know it's the only way to usmash out of dash, shield, and shine. but you should wait for one of the peeps that know what they're talking about to give a proper explanation. i'm sure they can explain or link a video or guide or something that'll be much better than anything i say out of my ***

Top Bottom