• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ChuChuROBBuddies!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
P:M is too good. except for the balancing

Everyones balanced to be on the level of a top tier, When personally i think they should be balanced to be on the level of a mid tier

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Balanced to be top tier brokenshould stay with Brawl-, even though its dead at this point.

I <3 Mario, combination of Doc/Mario is the best
Fixed it for you.

I've always wanted to play Brawl-, by the way. From the videos I've seen, it looks like a really lulzy, yet awesome game.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There will still be tiers no matter what. But yes, we are attempting to balance the cast to Melee top/high. If a character falls somewhere between Fox and Falcon, I'd consider that a success. Shooting for a tighter spread than that is downright unrealistic for so many characters. Though if the results since the release of Demo 2 mean anything, then we've done a pretty damn good job. The diversity of high-placing characters so far is astounding.

Sudai

Stuff here
There will still be tiers no matter what. But yes, we are attempting to balance the cast to Melee top/high. If a character falls somewhere between Fox and Falcon, I'd consider that a success. Shooting for a tighter spread than that is downright unrealistic for so many characters. Though if the results since the release of Demo 2 mean anything, then we've done a pretty damn good job. The diversity of high-placing characters so far is astounding.
I'd say trying to get them all between fox and flacon is pretty unrealistic too, but y'all are doin a ballin' job so far from what I played. lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh nice man. Is there a results thread somewhere? What char do you use in P:M?

That is a damn fine picture. I like the watercolor-ish look.

I have no idea what blood type I am, but from that chart I sure hope I'm type O.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
P:M is too good. except for the balancing

Everyones balanced to be on the level of a top tier, When personally i think they should be balanced to be on the level of a mid tier
This is a bad idea and I'll explain why. I even used to think this at one point but then helped design a competitive fighter for 2.5 years and realized I was wrong.

Melee Mid Tier is awful. They have inherent design flaws that make them bad at things that are extremely fundamental to the game. DK can't approach. Luigi has no CC game past 15% because he slides too far, and his recovery is ****. Mario can't kill anyone forever, and has no relevant safe setups and has to fsmash camp until they finally die at 170%. I could go on, but I think we all know what's wrong with every character. If you design a game around characters with huge fundamental issues, you end up with a cast of characters that suck, can't kill, can't recover, can't approach. You end up with a campy game where most characters live until 150%+ and others live until 100% if they're lucky because they suck. Match-ups end up being defined by how badly a crappy character can exploit another crappy character's flaws and avoid having his own flaws exploited because the other crappy character can't, and you probably end up with stupid 80-20 match-ups just cuz everyone sucks and they're unique.

With Melee top 8 (I stopped using "High Tier" because Samus/Ganon/Doc/Pikachu all have similar but less crippling issues as Mid Tier, and they've all been buffed anyway so not relevant), every character has exploitable weaknesses, but none of them are huge fundamental problems. They can function well and, yes, overcome these weaknesses even if they're being exploited by a good player. On top of that, the game has a relatively even balance of offensive & defensive gameplay, keeping things fresh and unique between different sets/MUs. People enjoy using and advancing their character, because they have multiple options to work with and explore. The game's fun cuz you're not spending your time wondering why your character is bad at X and you're spending it in how your character can better make use of the options he has.

Comparative balance is important, but at the same time, your baseline is almost as important, because it basically sets the mood for how your entire cast plays. Note that you can set your baseline too high for a good competitive game, like in Brawl-, which is apparently the point of the game so good job to those guys. Make characters too stupid and you end up removing the whole "I'm fighting my opponent" part of smash bros and it becomes Marvel or Smash 64. You hit them once and then they just like die because your character does horrible things to other characters when you hit them, and vice versa.

Sup JCaesar

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I had to work at 7:30 this morning, which means waking up at 6. I don't know how anyone can do that every day...

Also, nerf Link's jabs in P:M, they're like unpunishable!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh nice man. Is there a results thread somewhere? What char do you use in P:M?
I don't think so, But i can tell you top 4
1: Prof Pro + G~P (Snake+Marth)
2: Alpha-Dash + CloudrainZero (Sheik+Marth)
3: JJLinyard + Luigimitsu (Sonic+Wario?(not sure on this))
4: Jolteon + Sinth (Ike+Snake)

It was a 'special' Event for the first P:M doubles event we did, With each team requiring 1 melee player and 1 brawl player
Prof Pro is (most likely) the best P:M player in the world so i kinda just rode the skill to victory lol. But i Did my bit by slowing down the superior player on the opposing teams while prof gave out some destruction lol

I'll take your word for it because you know more about melee than me :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Umm, let's stick with best player in the UK until he plays some of the top players from other regions, k? It's awesome that you got to team with him though.

:phone:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Umm, let's stick with best player in the UK until he plays some of the top players from other regions, k? It's awesome that you got to team with him though.

Yeah fair enough, He does look to be on a higher level, I dunno whether its just his playstyle though
Looks like this means I need to drag him to apex 2013 with me then, eh?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Damn, my hair and beard weren't nearly as epic back then.

<- I seriously look just like my avatar now.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Whether someone sucks or not should be irrelevant. If you're able to go, there should be no reason not to; I mean, you can just have fun, meet people, and play friendlies to get better. My reason for not going is always money issues, though Smashachusetts I could have gone to, but didn't due to lack of ride, and lack of bus fare at the time. I guess I could have made it had I chose to opt for a 3-hour walk?*sighs*

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Id still go, and I know everyone would 3 stock me anyway for sure. Everyone in aus is pretty bad =P except for a few players.

I love the American accents in person though, ill spaz on the ground xD

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Plus our toilets spin the opposite way. Craaaazy!

And you might lose your balance when you try to walk rightside up.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Whether someone sucks or not should be irrelevant. If you're able to go, there should be no reason not to; I mean, you can just have fun, meet people, and play friendlies to get better. My reason for not going is always money issues, though Smashachusetts I could have gone to, but didn't due to lack of ride, and lack of bus fare at the time. I guess I could have made it had I chose to opt for a 3-hour walk?*sighs*
Well, being 17 with protective parents doesn't help much either.

But as of now, it would cost about 1000 dollars, not including food and non-flight travel.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The recommended one, it was 130 a night, and over 4 days. Add in the 300 dollar flight and parking lot costs for my car here and venue/entry costs.

I figured that rooms would be individual. Probably my mistake, I'm pretty new to these sorts of things. I haven't been to anything larger than a regional, and even still I came late to it.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
That's what I would assume. I won't be able to go this year either way, but I might possibly go in 2014 when I'm in college. Maybe by then I will even feel like I have a chance of making it out of pools.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Another option, if possible, is to see if there's a Smasher who lives in the local area who will offer you a room to stay in.
this is also a good option

Also, It appeared that most of your wimmins loved the british accent
Most of the gay men did too, Much to my chagrin

Top Bottom