• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
So guys, what do I do. Try and see how long I can last in my last 2 games?

-Terywj
Poor Terywj :(

If you wish to get better at chess (and most importantly, have the time), try and find someone who can teach you all the 'groundwork'. I'm more than willing to help you out, but I'm really tied up with school at the moment. For the time being, Tactics Trainer, Daily Puzzles, Chess Mentor are helpful things. Getting your hands on books like The Chess Doctor by Bruce Pandolfini is a great start, too.

But most importantly, never give up! Always have a positive attitude to all of your games and it will repay you. :)

-Kitty

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@ otg, that checkmate was awesome.

@OlimarFan/Kitty, did you play your chemistry teacher?

Played my latest OTB game. Ended up a draw.

Was the most interesting I think....went right to the wire...by the end I was so tense due to time lol. Overall happy I think, might have had a chance at the end but not upset with the draw, my opponent had me under pressure most of the game.

I'll post it soon.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
@ otg, that checkmate was awesome.

@OlimarFan/Kitty, did you play your chemistry teacher?

Played my latest OTB game. Ended up a draw.

Was the most interesting I think....went right to the wire...by the end I was so tense due to time lol. Overall happy I think, might have had a chance at the end but not upset with the draw, my opponent had me under pressure most of the game.

I'll post it soon.
Sorry N9NE, I lost :)

Haha, I swear if he had a LIVE rating, it would be at least 2000 :)

I did write the moves down in my diary, but I think I left that at school lol. I'll get the match to you someday...I promise!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Unlucky Kitty. Look forward to checking it out.

Anyone had any experience with 1.c4 of 1.f4 openings...

I want to check them out, they seem so fresh compared to 1.e4

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I faced c4 and f4 before... but I can't really tell you much. I would play English, though, it seems much more safe and solid than the Bird. Plus, I usually don't want to face From's gambit, 1.f4 e5 when I (rarely) play f4.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
This one's for you, N9NE. I tried....lol.

Chemistry teacher: *laughs* So what makes you think that you will beat me this time?
Me: Practice makes perfect.

1. d4 Nf6
2. Nf3 g6
3. e3 Bg7
4. Bd3 O-O
5. Nd2 d5
6. 0-0 Nd7
7. Re1 c5
8. c3 b6
9. e4 dxe4
10. Nxe4 cxd4
11. Nxd4 (cxd4 would have been better) Bb7
12. Qe2 (Hmm…I’m sure I had a better move here) Re8
13. Bd2 Nxe4
14. Bxe4 Bxe4
15. Qxe4 Nc5
16. Qg4 Nd3
17. Re2 Nxb2
18. Rb1 Nc4
19. Bg5 Qd6
20. Nf5 (take that mister) gxf6
21. Qxc4 Rac8
22. Qa4 Bxc3
23. Qxa7?? (Rd1 would have been much better) Qd3 (I could see a small smile flicker across his face)
24. Re1 Bxe1
25. Rxe1 b5
26. h3 (Bxe7 would have led to 26…Qe2!) e5
27. Qb6 f4
28. Bh4 Qd2
29. Rb1 Qxa2
30. Qxb5 Qe6

Where upon the bell rang, although both players clearly knew what the outcome of the match would be…

Overall, it was a fun and enjoyable experience– not my best and not a game I would be proud of, but nevertheless we should learn that chemistry teachers are very good at chess.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So according to the tournament listing for bracket B I'm the only one left who hasn't lost twice to Yoshi.

But if you look at our game he's about to win, hahaha.

-Terywj

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'll check that game when I can Kitty.

Looks like Kitty and Enigmatic are through from Group A and Yoshiman and I are through from Group B.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Group B isn't done yet, as soon as it is, I'll set up the final.

Kitty
enigmatic
Yoshiman
N9NE

are all in the final.

& I didn't put up the game Kitty, it was that poor :(

Overload

Smash Lord
Anyone here use chesscube? It's my new favorite site. Add me if you have an account: zgalhardo
(you can also connect using facebook)

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Btw, when the next round starts, I'm gonna have to move very slowly, like one move a day if not less (after book opening). It seems I joined the 10th Chess.com Tournament sometime ago and had completely forgotten about it, and now I've got 10 games going at once, which is a bit beyond my normal means of playing. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

cemo

white walker
yeah, i joined the 1400 - 1600 one.
doin' alright so far. (:

i must confess to not spending as much time on chess, as i've been trying to learn go as well now.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Second round usually takes like 6 months to start lol.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Yeah, it can take a long time depending on how good you are for your range. I joined the 3rd Chess.com Tournament that started at Jun 24, 2008, and it's still going on, but 99% of the people have been eliminated so we're only talking about the very finals from a large group of people. Only 1 person from each group advances, so it's unlikely you or I will advance.

I have to admit though, most of my games I'm liking so far. I've been taking it slowly, forcing myself to not move unless I give the game 10 minutes minimum, regardless of how obvious the next move might be. Normally I just look at a game for a minute or so, and make my move (unless it's tactically complex), and inevitably spend less time on the entire game than I would on a real OTB game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom