• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
*Minor bump*

Any of you guys following the situation with the world championship? Anand wants to postpone the match because he's stranded in Germany (flights can't take off because of the ash in the skies from the volcano eruption in Iceland), and Topalov wants the match to start on time. So far, FIDE has not ruled in either GM's favor yet.

I personally think Anand should get his way here, because it's a situation that is out of his control.

cemo

white walker
Ah no, I hadn't heard about that. I'd side with Anand on this one, but shouldn't there be another way to get to where he needs to?

Also, looks like I'm going to miss out on the second round by 0.5 points on the tiebreak. daaaang.
and it's because of this guy drawing a won game, too. ):

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
*Minor bump*

Any of you guys following the situation with the world championship? Anand wants to postpone the match because he's stranded in Germany (flights can't take off because of the ash in the skies from the volcano eruption in Iceland), and Topalov wants the match to start on time. So far, FIDE has not ruled in either GM's favor yet.

I personally think Anand should get his way here, because it's a situation that is out of his control.

Unfortunately, FIDE has ruled in Topalov's favor :(

Come on people...give Annad a break!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So a while ago I saw this thread but didn't register on chess.com and forgot about chess. Then, in a turn of strange events, I started getting into chess again after playing like Chessmaster on DS, I think it's called that? Anyways I wanted to find a good site that let's you play chess, so I found chess.com.

It's an alright site, it's just lame that you have to pay for membership to get like all the simple features. Does anyone know of any better chess sites?

And has anyone done the chess online thing? I get the feeling games would go forever.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Chess.com's all right. A basic (free) membership is enough for me to enjoy the site. A premium membership usually only gets you some superfluous and unnecessary features.

As for online chess, it doesn't usually take forever, the longest game I ever had on there lasted about 2 months, but that's because the guy moved about once in three days. Most games get done in 1-3 weeks. If that's still too slow, you can play Live Chess.

Internet Chess Club is the best site in terms of competition; even Grandmasters play over there pretty often. You'll need to pay for even the basic membership, though. Somebody mentioned chesscube.com recently; I've never been there, but I hear it's a good site.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Chess.com's all right. A basic (free) membership is enough for me to enjoy the site. A premium membership usually only gets you some superfluous and unnecessary features.

As for online chess, it doesn't usually take forever, the longest game I ever had on there lasted about 2 months, but that's because the guy moved about once in three days. Most games get done in 1-3 weeks. If that's still too slow, you can play Live Chess.

Internet Chess Club is the best site in terms of competition; even Grandmasters play over there pretty often. You'll need to pay for even the basic membership, though. Somebody mentioned chesscube.com recently; I've never been there, but I hear it's a good site.
Gameknot's not bad also :)
I like chess.com, but I enjoy the LIVE Chess - especially 2 min games. :)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I couldn't handle a 5 minute game. I tried one and made too many mistakes trying to think so fast >_<

Also in the LIVE chess, they had like a small tourney where I got slaughtered.

...Good times ;)

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I couldn't handle a 5 minute game. I tried one and made too many mistakes trying to think so fast >_<

Also in the LIVE chess, they had like a small tourney where I got slaughtered.

...Good times ;)
In live, you could play with 10-15 minutes, and you can have a small time increase after every move if you wish.

Also I thought you couldn't have tournaments in live chess:confused:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well we were just talking in the main chat and someone wanted to have a tourney, so we got some numbers and had a private group chat. It was good fun.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
It wasn't anything big or important also I forgot the peoples names :lol: someone should play some live chess with me now!

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've got the second round of the chess.com tournament coming up, and when it finally arrives, I want to be ready for it. And by ready, that means not having saturated my time with so much chess that it's less play and more work to think about my moves. So I'm taking it easy until then, lol.

cemo

white walker
i timed out 2 games with... OTB? and feel bad. i'll join the next smashboards tournament but until then i don't really have time to pursue the ivory tower.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
This thread died lol. Time for some resurrection.

Live/correspondence anyone?

New username on chess.com is Sleepers. I don't know why I chose that name, I might get a new account lol.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
[Apologies for bump]

I guess the next tourney will start and engi and I finish our game. Sorry folks :(

P.S. Very active on chess.com and gameknot.com, especially the former in LIVE. LIVE is almost as good as OTB :)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Since the live chess.com has improved, I think I should post a live chess tournament (I guess a 30 min game per side with 0 second delay or 25+5). Matches will be unrated but it will be easy to post

Simply because:
1. It gives you time to space matches
2. Many people on chess.com can't play 2 tournaments at once
3. It is easier to post results.

If anyone else is into this, Ill make a touurney.

need 3 more people interested. ill also post it on a separate topic.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'd be up for a live chess tournament. Don't think there's a need for another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom