• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overload

Smash Lord
Send me a challenge any time you're ready for our tie-breaker, ru5514n.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Well, the tourney is now officially over. ~N9NE~/DMG, are you gonna wait until after New Year to start the new tourney? I need some more games to play.
Up to you guys, I don't mind starting straight away but perhaps with Christmas and New Years, it might be better to start after New Years like you said. What do you guys think?

As far as I know, more then seven people are intreseted. In that case, I'll need another person to set up another tournament bracket. When it comes nearer the time, I'll let you know everything.

cemo

white walker
i played with my friend one day, the first game i hit them with the scholar's mate, then next the fool's mate.
i felt kinda bad.

cemo

white walker
i like both of them for different reasons. correspondence games let you use the analysis board, which make games a lot more well thought out, but live games are just more conveniant to fit in.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
IMO, correspondence is just too slow. I prefer live, but not blitz.

Eventually when I can think faster I'll be more adapted to blitz. :p

-Terywj

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Honestly, when I play correspondence, I only think for maybe about a minute or two longer than I do in live, where most of my games are 10min. each, so to me it usually makes no difference where I play.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I like both. Correspondence gives me more time to do multiple games, allows me plenty of time per move so that if I make a bad move, I can usually blame it on myself for not finding it instead of blaming it on time pressure, and I feel the correspondence setting is more friendly and formal which is something I have no quarrels over.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
So when shall we start the new tournament guys?

DMG, can you link me to the tournament you're in?

As usual, if anyone wants some live games, and you see I'm online here then it means I'm on chess.com too, so let me know if you want a game or two.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Congrats on getting through to round 2. Couple of questions

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=29505261

On move 25. why didnt you take e3, forking the knight and rook?

On move 26. why did he let you take his knight for a pawn?

Also why did you let him take your knight at the end?

Also, I may be wrong, but now that you've progressed and the second round hasn't started yet, I think you can join another tournament. I'll send you an invite to the tournament when it starts and see if you can join.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1. I didn't take on e3 because forcing the Knight away first with h6 is stronger. I was up 2 pawns. If I took on e3 (Bxe3), he would take the support I had for the Bishop, meaning the Knight on f5. I would take his rook, and he would take my now unprotected Bishop. In that scenario, I would be given doubled pawns, and still only be 2 pawns up.

If I play h6 first, it basically forces him to give up the knight as a temporary sac with Nxf7. Any other Knight more for him would give him a definitely worse position.

2. As I pointed out in the above example, this was his strongest move. Everything else either gave me a much stronger position, or if he moved back to Nf3, I could then safely play Bxe3 because putting his Knight on the F file removes the pressure on my Knight that was coming from his Rook. If he played Nf3, I would play Bxe3 and now his Rook has to move, I am up 3 pawns, and I have much better prospects/almost a forced win at that point.

3. If you take notice of the game, my King became pinned on the F File after I captured his Knight. So once I capture with Kxf7, he gets to play g4 and win back a Knight. I knew this was coming and everything was fine, so I advanced the king further and away from the pin. He captures and I take back with the pawn obviously. At that point, my King is now in a somewhat dominating position in the center, his rooks are tied down protecting pawns, and at that point it's just a matter of finesse from my end.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I do not have a FIDE rating although I would like to get one eventually. If I were to take a guess, my IRL rating is closer to 1900-2000 than 2200-2300 on Chess.com.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I have a USCF rating, but it's only 1500, so it's not that high. I did notice that most of chess.com ratings were overinflated compared to IRL ratings.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Congrats on getting through to round 2. Couple of questions

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=29505261

On move 25. why didnt you take e3, forking the knight and rook?

On move 26. why did he let you take his knight for a pawn?

Also why did you let him take your knight at the end?

Also, I may be wrong, but now that you've progressed and the second round hasn't started yet, I think you can join another tournament. I'll send you an invite to the tournament when it starts and see if you can join.
Ah, the Caro-Kann. My favorite.

Yes, I agree with move 25 and move 26. Hm.

I would say that I'm pretty serious with chess, and I'd be willing to play a match against you - Problem is, I use gameknot instead :(

IMHO, gameknot is vastly superior to chess.com in almost every way, but if you folks are adamant in playing on that battleground, then I'll join :)

Looking forward to some chess games.
Kind regards,
olimarfan

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The following have expressed interest in playing in a tourney

Yoshimanssbm
Tomato Kirby
adsfdgfhgjhkjlk AKA cF=)
pikaville
BigSis AKA Elder Sister
spaceman-sean AKA Phen
dr.neo
jugfingers
EnigmaticCam
Maxisku2 AKA otg
Terywj
OlimarFan

add

N9NE
jason_voorhese
somechessguy AKA DMG
ru5514n
Overload
the_brown_magik (if he wants to play)

and that's 18 players. So we might need 3 people to set up 3 brackets, with 6 in each. The 3 winners of each group could play in a final group. Pairings will be random. Anyone else is more then welcome to join.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PLAY IN THE NEXT SMASHBOARDS CHESS.COM TOURNEY, PLEASE CHECK THE FAQ'S IN THE FIRST POST. SECONDLY, CONFIRM YOU ARE WILLING TO JOIN OUR NEXT TOURNAMENT. WHEN PEOPLE HAVE CONFIRMED, I'LL MESSAGE EVERYONE

Let's get this rolling

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can invite me to join, I'm not entirely sure if I can join since I am still in the 2K tournament but if I can, then I will certainly join.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
DMG I sent you an invite to a tourny I just made just to check if you can join

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm able to register for multiple tournaments, I can only be playing in one tournament sadly.

I was able to register for your tournament, but it gave me a warning that if it started up before the next round of the 2K tournament, that I would be forfeited from the 2K tournament.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Strange, I've joined tournies, got through the initial round and then been able to play in other tournies without affecting my participation in the initial tournament.

Nevertheless, at least we cleared it up.

otg

Smash Master
N9NE, absolutely! Im very bad at checking this forum, so Im sorry that I mised your response. I hope you're still on.

Also, if anyone wishes to play some live games, just hit me up on AIM or through a PM.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I messaged Wikipedia(the guy who started these smashboard chess tournaments) about the other tournament, but he said that he didn't have time any more.

I was wondering if a mod has the ability to change the first post so I can have it, so I can update the thread.

Alternatively, I could just ask to make a new thread and have this one locked?

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I would enter this tourney as well. As usual, I'm still looking for people to play on Chess.com, I'm kinda beasting so far.
Well, I'd be more than happy to accept your challenge. I just need to register first :)

After that, I'll PM you (if that's ok) and we can hopefully arrange a match.

Kind regards,
olimarfan

Edit: I've made an account, and my username is KittyJones.

cemo

white walker
definitely in this.
i joined the vote chess match against pogonina, hoping to learn a lot through it. planning and all that. when i get some money i'll also probably get a premium membership, tactics trainer is great so far. not too sure if i'd wanna shell out for chess mentor though.

i'd like to be able to use the game explorer but i found another online opening book, so it's not a pressing issue anymore.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would personally join this, but I am already in other tournaments on chess.com

my tag is CabassoG on there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom