• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemo

white walker
well it makes it loads easier, and how is it fun if they're just giving me an advantage? ):

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Obviously haven't heard from everyone yet. When should we start the next tournament.

My 5th OTB game http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/5th-otb-tournament-game
Worst game yet. So many mistakes. Guess it's a learning process.
It wasn't THAT bad...:)

Some feedback.
When someone plays the Caro-Kann, 1. e4 c6, always play 2.d4.
Black responds d5.

3. exd5 cxd5
4. Bd3 Nc6
5. c3 Nf6
6. Bf4 Bg4
7. Qb3 Qd7
8. Nbd2 e6
9. Ngf3 Be7
10. Ne5 Nxe5?
11. dxe5

And so on...

Or, you could choose to play the Advance Variation...

1. e4 c6
2. d4 d5
3. e5 Bf5

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It wasn't THAT bad...:)

Some feedback.
When someone plays the Caro-Kann, 1. e4 c6, always play 2.d4.
Black responds d5.
There are a few good options for meeting 1. e4 c6. There's more than just playing d4. 2. Nf3, Nc3, d3, c4 are all solid choices. Each one with different goals.

3. exd5 cxd5
4. Bd3 Nc6
5. c3 Nf6
6. Bf4 Bg4
7. Qb3 Qd7
8. Nbd2 e6
9. Ngf3 Be7
10. Ne5 Nxe5?
11. dxe5

And so on...

Or, you could choose to play the Advance Variation...

1. e4 c6
2. d4 d5
3. e5 Bf5
Your first variation has a mistake in it. More common is 9. ... Bd6, not Be7. Be7 allows Ne5, where as Bd6 challenges control over e5 and prevents Ne5 from being useful. After that, usually play ends up with 10. Bxd6 Qxd6 and both sides then castling and positioning pieces further. Sometimes with Black playing Bxf3 to trade Knight for Bishop and then try to keep the game closed.

The problem with just listing variations is that it doesn't do justice to an opening, to explain the themes behind it and the goals/what kind of play you can expect to get with it.

If you want to play the Caro Kann, you are going to expect a mix of a strategic and tactical game, considered "semi closed" where Knights and Bishops are both valuable and where strategic pawn breaks are make or break. The idea for Black is to retain a very good pawn structure, and either secure a draw with good play, or a win if White plays too aggressive.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
There are a few good options for meeting 1. e4 c6. There's more than just playing d4. 2. Nf3, Nc3, d3, c4 are all solid choices. Each one with different goals.
Oh? You have a point there sir - It's just that from what I've seen, everyone plays d4. Well, you learn something new everyday :)

Your first variation has a mistake in it. More common is 9. ... Bd6, not Be7. Be7 allows Ne5, where as Bd6 challenges control over e5 and prevents Ne5 from being useful. After that, usually play ends up with 10. Bxd6 Qxd6 and both sides then castling and positioning pieces further. Sometimes with Black playing Bxf3 to trade Knight for Bishop and then try to keep the game closed.

The problem with just listing variations is that it doesn't do justice to an opening, to explain the themes behind it and the goals/what kind of play you can expect to get with it.
I guess I got caught up too much in the 'Ramp of Theory.' I missed the big picture, too. Well said.

If you want to play the Caro Kann, you are going to expect a mix of a strategic and tactical game, considered "semi closed" where Knights and Bishops are both valuable and where strategic pawn breaks are make or break. The idea for Black is to retain a very good pawn structure, and either secure a draw with good play, or a win if White plays too aggressive.
I had considered employing the Caro-Kann in my arsenal, but as you mentioned, this solid defence holds a rather drawish reputation, and I'd rather lean towards a more swashbuckling play such as the Sicilian Defense (probably the Nadjorf). Correct me if I'm wrong - I would say that good endgame technique is required for the Caro-Kann, I lack in this area.
Perhaps that's why World Champions used the Caro Kann frequently, because their superior endgame technique always brought them the wins.

Kind regards,
Olimarfan

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The Caro Kann does lead to good endgames for Black, provided he plays good and gets to that stage. Usually, he's guaranteed a draw with good play. If White over steps, Black can win. If Black is too passive however, White will probably win.

Caro Kann really is only popular with world class players that prefer positional games over tactical. Answering e4 with c6 is one of the more positional replies you can try to aim for. Needless to say, the Caro Kann is not without tactical wars to be waged. They are just toned down a bit.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Does anyone else look forward to the Daily Puzzle as much as I do? I think some of them are really good. Others can be too short, but it's a quick effective method of training, at least in my opinion.

-Terywj

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Daily puzzles are pretty fun, but they are often too easy. I prefer Tactics Trainer, but I can only get three puzzles per day because I'm not a Premium Member.

Speaking of chess.com, when are we starting the tourney?

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Does anyone else look forward to the Daily Puzzle as much as I do? I think some of them are really good. Others can be too short, but it's a quick effective method of training, at least in my opinion.

-Terywj
Daily puzzles are pretty good, but I prefer researching openings and Tactics Trainer.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
standard correspondence rules i guess?
like, i can use opening databases and the such?
Yep.

I'll send invites during the week. Like I said I might need someone to open another bracket.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Message sent to everyone who expressed interest in playing to be certain of who is interested. If I get no reply, I assume you can't play.

Invitations for the actual tournament will be sent this weekend.

marden

Smash Rookie
I am new here and I am very pleasure to meet you and join in here.I share things with you when i searching online and hope you can find more things that you like.I dont wanna disturb anyone of you and if you are not interested in these,leave them alone.
china wholesale
china wholesale
wow gold

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If there are more then seven players, which looks likely, then we need to set up two tournaments. This is because none of us are premium members at chess.com, so the max players we can organise for s tournament is 7.

Say we get 12 players.

I'll randomly allocate the 12 players into two groups of 6.

I'll set up one tournament of 6 and ask someone to set up another tournament of 6. The winner of each tournament then faces the other in a final.

Any volunteers for setting up the other tournament if need be? Don't worry I'll message you all details and tell you what to do.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
If there are more then seven players, which looks likely, then we need to set up two tournaments. This is because none of us are premium members at chess.com, so the max players we can organise for s tournament is 7.

Say we get 12 players.

I'll randomly allocate the 12 players into two groups of 6.

I'll set up one tournament of 6 and ask someone to set up another tournament of 6. The winner of each tournament then faces the other in a final.

Any volunteers for setting up the other tournament if need be? Don't worry I'll message you all details and tell you what to do.
The most you'd need to do would be to randomly generate the matchups right?

If this takes place after Friday, I'll probably be able to help out. :D

-Terywj

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ok so far, I've got 11 replies saying yes from:

Olimarfan
jugfingers
ru5541n
Terywj
Phen
Elder Sister
EnigmaticCam
cF=)
otg
Overload
Yoshimanssbm

add me and that's 12 players, so two groups of 6.

The following have not replied:

pikaville
Tomato Kirby
dr.neo
jason_voorhese329

and I'm guessing DMG is still unable to play.

I will send invitations on Saturday, if you don't tell me you want to play by then, then I'm sorry you'll have to wait until the next tourney.

I recommend reading the first post for the faq with info about how the tournament works.

ONE BIG POINT: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT CHALLENGING ANYONE TO A GAME. WHEN YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATIONS TO THE TOURNAMENT, THE GAMES ARE AUTOMATICALLY ORGANISED BY CHESS.COM

Furthermore, I'm going to add everyone as a friend on chess.com so you can message me if there's any problems.

If things stay as they are, there will be two groups of 6. Instead of getting someone to do it, I can just use my brother's account, much easier.

Questions?

EDIT: Sent friend requests to all on chess.com

@ Yoshimanssbm; I just realised you're a premium member. That means you can put us all in one tournament. Would you be willing to set up the tournament, because that means you can automatically set up two groups of six and the winners face each other. Let me know.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just giving those that haven't replied a final chance to get in touch.

Invitations will be sent tonight.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
He said to message him the players but that he was busy this weekend, so he's not too sure if he could.

I decided I'll just do it, easier for organisation's sake.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Drew up the groups.

Group A
enigmatic cam
elder sister
jugfingers
phen
ru5541n
olimar fan

Group B
overload
otg
n9ne
terywj
cf=)
yoshimanssbm

Invitations on chess.com on the way. I'll message everyone here to be sure you get the message too.

When everyone accepts in a group, the tournament will get under way.

Good luck!

cemo

white walker
so how is this going to work?
the top 3 from the group a tournament gets matched with the top 3 from b?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
so how is this going to work?
the top 3 from the group a tournament gets matched with the top 3 from b?
I was thinking top player from each vs. each other in the final. However, this sounds like a better idea. What does everyone else think?

Group B, you recieved the invitation from NintendoMasterChief, my brother's account.

All invitations sent.

All messages on smashboards confirming have been sent.

Questions? Let me know if I made any mistakes with groupings/messages/invitations.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom