• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Skull kid
One time bad guy who wasn’t a bad guy also was more of a tool then zant.

The majora mask itself should be the character

I like skull kid but there a better was to go and besides-playing as a mask would be a lot cooler

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Here's some spicy opinions

• Any FE character
Yes, this includes Lyn (deconfirmed, thankfully) this includes Hector, this includes Chrom, an FE:H rep, a FE user with an axe, spear, whatever. FE: Echoes tanked, SMT X FE tanked, please no Tsbasa or Cecelia either. There's too much of it for a series that's unpopular compared to the gaming icons Smash Bros has. Roy was pushing it and Corrin was the tipping point. No more. Done.

• "Meme" characters
This is a generalist list, basically characters who's followings are entirely composed of people in it for the meme, Waluigi, Minecraft Steve, ect

• Octolings.......as an Echo Fighter
Splatoon has SO many weapons that the squid kids use, the current Smash inkling has only scratched the surface of what a Splatoon fighter can do. Octobrush, Dualies, Splat Brella, Charger, Dynamo Roller, Autobombs, Curling Bombs, Splash Wall, Splatlings, Splashdown, there's SO MUCH left from Splatoon that can be put into the game that I think making Octolings just a simple echo fighter would be extremely lackluster. I'm all for more Splatoon representation but we can do so much better than "Inkling with slightly different move properties"
  • Mimikyu
I'm actually really fond of Mimikyu! I like the concept a lot and Fairy is my 2nd favorite type after Grass, but I don't understand why someone would think Mimikyu would make for a good Smash fighter. Yes it's popular, but it's entire brand is being Wal-Mart Pikachu, and we already have Pichu for that. I feel like, even if Mimikyu uses spooky ghost attacks, we's still be treading over ground we've already covered with it in terms of shape and appearance, there are much better Pokemon options. I'm biased toward Silvally but Gamefreak clearly isnt ;_;, a Decidueye is fine too..... I still think he should be in the game along with Buzzwole as a Pokeball Pokemon though.
  • RABBIDS
Try as you might Ubisoft, you will never, EVER make me like those disgusting furry minions. Their whole point is being ugly to charm you but if you're over the age of 8...they're just ugly. Seeing them also makes me not want Rayman even though Rayman has never done anything to me, but now I think he's ugly by association.

Those are all my hard dislikes, anything after that is just me going "hm, I'm not familiar with this character so I don't particularly want them" which doesn't fit the criteria for this thread. Funnily enough I'm finding myself supporting characters that I have no connection to, for example I've only ever played Diddy Kong Racing, but I'd love to see K. Rool, his fans have suffered enough. I'd like to see any Donkek Kong fighters, actually. The series seems amazing but they're so shafted compared to that of lesser series like Fire Emblem.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Here's some spicy opinions
  • Mimikyu
I'm actually really fond of Mimikyu! I like the concept a lot and Fairy is my 2nd favorite type after Grass, but I don't understand why someone would think Mimikyu would make for a good Smash fighter.
This could have been said for a portion of characters on the roster before they were playable.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Let's see... well thing is I don't believe in getting angry over a character getting in. because point is even if I don't want it it will make someone else happy so I'll be happy for them. Now in no real order

- Minecraft Steve: I couldn't quite figure out at first WHY I don't want him. I like minecraft! I don't play it much. but it is an important game that has changed gaming and I think for the better.
BUT I think what my problem is is that his aesthetic is very specific. if you change it it's not gonna be minecraft. but you need to change it or else he will clash with the aesthetic of the rest of the cast. it all just doesn't FEEL right to me.
also if we're working with microsoft then get our boy Banjo back where he belongs!

- Rex/Pyra: I have no excuse in this case really. I've just really been hesitant about the newest Xenoblade game. it looks like they made the thing I love into some generic anime stuff... I may end up playing it and loving it. I hear it's good and all.
but you know a part of me wishes we lived in a world where the first one was the most relevent and we could get another character from that. but that is obviously not happening.

- Anything Fire emblem: we got enough in the last game. NO MORE!

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
Fire emblem, minecraft related, non video game, other sword users, one more pokemon is acceptable, anything spallatoon,(dont get me wrong the game is good but is still very fresh with one character added is enough for now) anything over 2 3d party or 3 echos especially if it's very slight changes like dark pit or are the same character like Mario, which could have at least have a unique animation when he throws his pills.... just lazy especially if it's someone like ganondorf who could have had his own moveset more true to him and now is a simiclone forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Spicy Opinion: I don't want dark samus....as an echo at least. Maybe a semi-clone at most or something like current Roy is to Marth but an echo doesn't seem to do it justice.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Your favorite character, and yes, I'm talking to YOU, person reading this right now.
Leave Donchan alone.

I'm slowly thinking Jibanyan as someone I don't want. The more I stop caring for it's dumb fandom and games the more I stop caring for Jibanyan. Don-chan is my number 1 third party character now. I only request jibanyan because Nintendo seems to have a hate for cats. Especially Smash, and I would enjoy any kind of anthro cat character (and whatever Taokaka is) for smash. (edit: I'll still want Jib over professor Layton no matter what. Cat characters are long overdue now)

Other than Jibanyan (kinda) I would hate for Sora to be in it. Listen, people... let's say it after me. Sora is a disney owned property. Not Square. Sora would need disney characters to fully be in smash since that's KH's selling point. Now request Bartz Klauser, the FF1 warrior, Terra Branford, or Crono. NOT SOME DISNEY SHMUCK. I have had it to here. I'm DONE.

you know what's almost as bad as Sora? People legit want Anna in smash. You know... that forgettable redheaded character from the Fire Emblem games that has no personality at all? You know what'd be way better than Anna? Hector.

Heihachi shouldn't be in smash. He will and he's gonna be the 2nd namco rep over Don Chan. I don't want that at all. He's a boring character, from a game too slow to be in Smash, and he's not even the main character IIRC. That goes to Jin. He's just human character number 19 (Yes, I counted. I even counted the KI characters but not the hylians since they look far apart from humans) It's like putting in Sephiroth over Cloud. We have a fighting game rep anyways.

More pokemon. I'm sick of it. If you are gonna put in a new pokemon make it Meowth, litten, or replace the existing ones with a new, fresh Pokemon.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Other than Jibanyan (kinda) I would hate for Sora to be in it. Listen, people... let's say it after me. Sora is a Disney owned property. Not Square. Sora would need Disney characters to fully be in smash since that's KH's selling point. Now request Bartz Klauser, the FF1 warrior, Terra Branford, or Crono. NOT SOME DISNEY SHMUCK. I have had it to here. I'm DONE.
Why would Sora need any Disney characters with him? Just because his game series started as a way to crossover Disney and FF doesn't mean anything. While it still features Disney characters the emphasis is far more on its own story and characters. Plus Sora is completely capable of fighting on his own so he wouldn't need partners or summons. Also, Disney seems more open to the idea than anyone thought so he's a possibility for DLC. I don't know if he will ever join the roster but until then the characters you mentioned will be lower priority to me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Geez, awful lot of Geno hate in this thread, huh? Shame to see so many people put him on the level of Sans and Steve due to some nondescript garbage about how "Geno fans are suuuper annoying lol....."
Anyway, I figured I'd make another post here with my updated thoughts now that some of the characters on my old list are (hopefully) squared away:

Waluigi - Specifically in Ultimate, DLC or otherwise. At this point, this isn't even about my distaste for the character (even if I did quite enjoy seeing him disconfirmed right off the bat), but it's simply that the man's already an Assist Trophy. If Waluigi were to get in now despite that, it would send an absolutely terrible message that even if your favorite character is already disconfirmed, they'll have special accommodations made for them and be added anyway if you simply scream loud enough about them and harass the creator over it. The reaction to Waluigi's disconfirmation is the absolute worst we've ever seen and likely ever will see bar maybe Ridley's back in Smash 4, and to see the frankly juvenile response from the Waluigi extremists dignified not only with a response, but by bending over backwards and capitulating to their demands would be an absolute insult to anyone whose favorite character didn't get in. Now just isn't Waluigi time, evidently, and I hope Sakurai makes the right decision and stands his ground on this one.

Mimikyu - Frankly overrated, perfect Pokeball fodder, and in direct competition with one of my most wanted newcomers. I'd prefer literally any other Gen 7 mon over this freak in a sheet.

Steve - Terraforming movesets in Smash are an inherently bad idea in my opinion, and Steve in particular would likely draw a lot of... undesirable folks to the Smash fanbase. Simply put, if Steve gets in, we'll have a whole new wave of prepubescent WiFi Warriors maining Steve. Plus, he'd be the epitome of the blatant cash-grab picks that I hate so much. Characters should be chosen based on popularity, overall significance, and what they bring to the table, not how many dollar signs they produce. I'd really be upset if he got in and looked like the characters from Minecraft Story Mode... those freaks look like they're wearing their faces as masks...

Isabelle - Sorry, but just because she's "heavily promoted" (did you mean: forced?) doesn't mean she's earned a spot in the roster. She's strictly a pacifist, being solely the assistant to the mayor and actively cowering against fighters in Smash 4, so seeing her actively fight just wouldn't make any sense, as an Echo Fighter of Villager or otherwise. "B-but Duck Hunt doesn't fight!!" Yes, but we don't have a reason why he specifically wouldn't fight, unlike Isabelle. False equivalence. She doesn't exactly have a ton of room for a unique moveset, either, considering Animal Crossing already has Villager as a catch-all rep. The best she could do as a unique fighter from what I've heard is drop a fountain on someone, which would be the greatest asspull we've ever seen to shoehorn someone with (ahem) severely limited moveset potential into Smash just for the sake of "muh promotion". Keep her as an Assist Trophy and be done with it.

Captain Toad - OH BOY. This is a character that I just don't think I'll ever understand why he's anywhere near as popular as he is. For one, I never understood people who want Toad, of all people, in Smash; like, really, is the generic filler NPC of the Mario series really begging to be represented in Smash with an entire character? There's also the matter of Captain Toad himself, who, while a unique character, is just wholly unappealing to me; the most he has going for him appearance-wise is a starring role in a budget title, and he's mostly a clumsy, cowardly background NPC in the few other games he is in. He's also entirely anti-fun to play in the few playable roles he does have, being strictly a gimped version of every playable character in SM3DW who's excruciatingly sluggish and can't jump, which is particularly frustrating as he could pretty much skip his entire game if he just took off his stupid backpack. I was already confused when people started saying they wanted an entire Captain Toad game back when SM3DW was new, and now they want him for Smash?? Call me crazy, but the idea that people want a character who can't jump in a platform fighter is just incredibly confusing to me, especially considering how pitiful he is in terms of actual abilities on top of that. Sure, they could just make him able to jump, but intentionally misrepresenting a character for the sake of hamfisting them into a playable role in Nintendo's most powerful IP just doesn't sit well with me, especially considering all of his competitors that would likely miss out if that were the case; Geno is miles more popular than Captain Toad and would represent a dream come true on the part of the fanbase and Sakurai himself, and Paper Mario is both more popular and more relevant than Captain Toad and has way more significance on top of that, and that's not even considering left-field picks like Fawful, Kamek, or, hell, Birdo. Forgive me, but I just don't feel as though Captain Toad has really proven himself as a viable contender, even if he has "muh relevance", and to see him get in over Geno, Paper Mario, and really any other Mario character at this point would just be a massive disappointment to me. Not enough to make me not buy the game on its own, but enough to sour the overall experience for sure. Seeing Mimikyu get in over Decidueye would upset me, but I'd get over it quickly. Steve would upset me, but he at least isn't in direct competition with anyone I want and has potential for a unique and fun moveset that makes logistical sense. Captain Toad, on the other hand, would actively make me angry at his inclusion. At least he's not Waluigi, I guess...

Sora -

Last edited:

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Typically once I see a character in action, all my doubts and fears go away. I was worried about Duck Hunt and the miis but now I’m really fine...

That being said I only have two that I’m not a fan of: Krystal and Steve.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Captain Toad - OH BOY. This is a character that I just don't understand why he's anywhere near as popular as he is. For one, I never understood people who want Toad, of all people, in Smash; like, really, is the generic filler NPC of the Mario series really begging to be represented in Smash with an entire character? There's also the matter of Captain Toad himself, who, while a unique character, is just wholly unappealing to me; the most he has going for him appearance-wise is a starring role in a budget title, and he's mostly a background NPC in the few other games he is in. He's also entirely anti-fun to play in the few playable roles he does have, being strictly a gimped version of every playable character in SM3DW who's excruciatingly sluggish and can't jump, the latter of which is particularly frustrating as he could pretty much skip his entire game if he just took off his stupid backpack. I was already confused when people started saying they wanted an entire Captain Toad game back when SM3DW was new, and now they want him for Smash?? Call me crazy, but the idea that people want a character who can't jump in a platform fighter is just incredibly confusing to me, especially considering how pitiful he is in terms of actual abilities on top of that. Sure, they could just make him able to jump, but intentionally misrepresenting a character for the sake of hamfisting them into a playable role in Nintendo's most powerful IP just doesn't sit well with me, especially considering all of his competitors that would likely miss out if that were the case; Geno is miles more popular than Captain Toad and would represent a dream come true on the part of the fanbase and Sakurai himself, and Paper Mario is both more popular and more relevant than Captain Toad and has way more historical importance on top of that, and that's not even considering left-field picks like Fawful or, hell, Birdo. Forgive me, but I just don't feel as though Captain Toad has really proven himself as a viable contender, even if he has "muh relevance", and to see him get in over Geno, Paper Mario, and really any other Mario character at this point would just be a massive disappointment to me. Not enough to make me not buy the game on its own, but enough to sour the overall experience for sure. Seeing Mimikyu get in over Decidueye would upset me, but I'd get over it quickly. Steve would upset me, but he at least isn't in direct competition with anyone I want and has potential for a unique and fun moveset that makes logistical sense. Captain Toad, on the other hand, would actively make me angry at his inclusion. At least he's not Waluigi, I guess...
You're entitled to your opinion on Toad/Captain Toad himself and his game. That's just opinion though there are plenty of Toad fans who have wanted him since Melee to round out the Mario cast.

But regarding competition? I really don't think Captain Toad would get in the way of Geno at all. I feel if Geno gets in, it will be a really special case where Sakurai is granting the wish of a cult classic support since the Brawl days. I really don't think Sakurai's just going to be like "Do I pick a rising star that's also part of an iconic species of the Mario series or a harder to get but interesting cult classic character that had a noticable following since Brawl?". To be honest I'd even think Geno might even have his own icon rather then a mushroom symbol. I don't think Geno and Captain Toad are competing for a spot as a result. I could easily see both coming in with Nintendo working with Sakurai to get Captain Toad in for the recent game to give Mario an actually unique newcomer (Since Daisy really isn't much, being an echo) while Sakurai also manages to negogiate with Square about fully realizing Geno.

Captain Toad's only real threat is Paper Mario. Though in terms of project plan timing, Captain Toad's game was only about a year old while Sticker Star was still the last Paper Mario game back in late 2012. And Color Splash didn't come out until October 16th of 2016. That makes Paper Mario a at least more likely to make the boat for the base game then say an ARMS or a Xenoblade 2 rep. But even though Sticker Star sold so well (Albeit really mixed reactions in the fanbase), it only got a stage in Smash 4. I'm not sure Color Splash would be enough to give Paper Mario the leap needed for Smash.

So I think if the Mario series does get another unique Newcomer in Ultimate not counting special cases like Geno would be or echoes like Daisy it'd still be Captain Toad. So I feel the only real thing standing is his way is if the Smash staff is happy enough with Mario representation as is or they want to prioritize newcomers to other series. Though considering we have 9 Pokemon with a likely 10th on the way, and 3 Links, not sure that's really that big of a problem. But I'll understand if Captain Toad is passed over. Though please at least understand that many Toad fans have just been waiting for so long for Toad to expand past his meatshield role. With regular Toad out again (Though at least actually fighting alongside Peach this time) Captain Toad is literally all they have left for hope.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Anime characters (Goku)
Any more 3rd parties (We have enough...its a Nintendo All-Stars game, not every 3rd Party 'n' Friends. Even Soul Calibur knows when enoughs enough)
Waluigi
Rabbids, the Minions of video games, but this falls under any more 3rd parties anyway

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Geez, awful lot of Geno hate in this thread, huh? Shame to see so many people put him on the level of Sans and Steve due to some nondescript garbage about how "Geno fans are suuuper annoying lol....."
If Geno were to get in now despite that, it would send an absolutely terrible message that even if your favorite character is already disconfirmed, they'll have special accommodations made for them and be added anyway if you simply scream loud enough about them and harass the creator over it. The reaction to Geno's disconfirmation is the absolute worst we've ever seen and likely ever will see bar maybe Ridley's back in Smash 4, and to see the frankly juvenile response from the Geno extremists dignified not only with a response, but by bending over backwards and capitulating to their demands would be an absolute insult to anyone whose favorite character didn't get in.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Why would Sora need any Disney characters with him? Just because his game series started as a way to crossover Disney and FF doesn't mean anything. While it still features Disney characters the emphasis is far more on its own story and characters. Plus Sora is completely capable of fighting on his own so he wouldn't need partners or summons. Also, Disney seems more open to the idea than anyone thought so he's a possibility for DLC. I don't know if he will ever join the roster but until then the characters you mentioned will be lower priority to me.
That makes sense. Disney IP seems to be what it focuses on... about the most (story between the OCs aside) and if FFRK can pull a movelist for Sora off without the other disney IPs then I can seen it work, and I won't mind at all. Id still prefer the other SE cast, namely the ones that have stuck with Super Nintendo's history such as Terra ( from the 3rd best selling non-nintendo game for the system) or Warrior (defined the RPG genre as a whole) I haven't gotten a chance to play Kingdom Hearts again so maybe he isn't too bad if you take Donald Mickey and Goofy off.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Geno - I loved Super Mario RPG but I don't care about Geno at all. He's an obscure character from an over 20 year old spin-off game. There are much better Mario reps out there.

Bandana Dee - Yes I know his big role in the series but I have zero interest in seeing him as a character. I can see why people want him though.

Newcomers to existing third party series - Tails, Raiden, Robotnik, etc.; unless they are an Echoes character I think they would be a waste of slots.

Steve from Minecraft - No... just... no.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Someone's probably already gone over this, but characters the young'uns seem to go hype over like Freddy Faz-been, Sans Undertale, Spanglebeb, Steve Minecraft, Goku, Naruto, etc. are some very obvious nos. Now granted, Sakurai would probably find a way to make them fun to play if he was forced at gun-point (Goku and Naruto especially... but they're for Shonen Jump games, not Smash imo), but considering there's literally any other Nintendo-related character to choose from I'd have a hard time being happy.

But here are some hot but debatable takes that have definitely already been said before:
-Any sword fighter... from FE, especially the newer ones. I'd be okay with any other class though. Fire Emblem has so many classes, and the fact that they only brushed the surface with sword fighters is kinda icky. It's so bad that it's mostly turned me off to sword fighters from other series too. If a new character has nothing but a sword, I'm probably gonna spark a primal fury but only deep inside.

-MOST new and popular games that are not first party. Bayonetta I was only sort of okay with her inclusion, and I could see why she was included even beyond the ballot. Nintendo claimed her, she was popular, bada-bing-bada-boom. But I'm mainly talking about stuff like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, or even Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest (yes, they would be VERY fun to play as, yes I love their game, but he's still an indie character without much time to ripen and grow). And... let's not even get into stuff like Baldi's Basics (n-no-one actually wants him in Smash... r-right) and Overwatch/Fortnite characters.

-MOST indie games. A big exception to this is most definitely Quote and Curly from Cave Story, and Shantae (and even though I support her, in terms of sheer history I find her a 'maybe' between all of my other faves and the big ones in general. hell part of the only reason I support her aside from my thing for cute girls is because she had a game on GBC, and her company, WayForward, has made plenty of great games for Nintendo)

-Daisy... as an echo fighter. She could've easily been the rep for the Mario spinoffs, including sports game especially, but since she's already in there's no use complaining about that. Her being in in the first place is neat.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Newcomers to existing third party series - Tails, Raiden, Robotnik, etc.; unless they are an Echoes character I think they would be a waste of slots.
I second this. People don't even want Sonic's friends in Sonic's games, don't know why people would want them to invade Smash. Plus it would set a bad prescedent for other series. I'm fine with other characters from the companies though like say, a Castlevania character, a Nights character, Lara Croft, a Monster Hunter or Dante.

The sole exception is Raiden. Raiden being in Smash makes it more likely that we'll get the Revengeance ost in Smash. And if there's even a 0.0000000001% chance we can Smash to Rules of Nature, we should take it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I second this. People don't even want Sonic's friends in Sonic's games, don't know why people would want them to invade Smash. Plus it would set a bad prescedent for other series. I'm fine with other characters from the companies though like say, a Castlevania character, a Nights character, Lara Croft, a Monster Hunter or Dante.

The sole exception is Raiden. Raiden being in Smash makes it more likely that we'll get the Revengeance ost in Smash. And if there's even a 0.0000000001% chance we can Smash to Rules of Nature, we should take it.
You got a neat signature, my dude.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Characters I don't want, uh?

Please note that I do not hate the characters I will mention, for some it will be a matter of the limited newcomers, for example.

Let's start with Geno.
Geno is a fine character. I don't have the same attachment as Super Mario RPG didn't came in Europe on SNES, but I tried the game via emulator, and he is fine. On the other hand, I don't find him really representative of the Mario franchise, and even the Mario RPG side.
Seeing him acknowledge with the Mii costume was great, but I feel that he would be better as an Assist Trophy. It would even allow him to use his overpowered Geno Whirl without thinking too much of the game balance.

Breath of Wild Champions
I love BotW. I really do. And I love the characters. But I feel that between the game reveal and E3, people flocked a bit too much around BotW content. There's also the fact that I think you cannot take only one character of this quatuor.
But now, I'm glad that we have characters from various games, this allow other characters to be considered, such as Impa.
Although...
It means Skull Kid is talked about a lot.
Skull Kid is a strange case. If he was playable, he would probably be one of my mains. Majora's Mask is still my favorite Zelda after all. But I do believe that Skull Kid falls short when it comes to moveset potential. My main concern is that he would just have generic dark attacks (such as Hyrule Warriors, where a lot of his references comes from things where he do nothing or almost nothing), and I'm not interested in a character that "only" have a cool Final Smash potential.
I know I'm probably a bit too picky when it comes to Zelda, as I love this franchise!

Technically, there's Elma from Xenoblade X. I'm not really opposed to, just not interested, especially compared to the potential of Rex & Pyra (I have only played the first Xenoblade, though). I'm not thrilled by the movesets I see and I'm indifferent about her design too. For her, it's fully a matter of taste, and I don't think it would be a "wasted slot" if she was playable either!

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I second this. People don't even want Sonic's friends in Sonic's games, don't know why people would want them to invade Smash.
Not to nitpick and admittedly be a little bias on my part since my most wanted Newcomer at this point is Tails (But I won't be upset if he never makes it, Sonic is all I need. Tails is just my favorite Sonic character). But isn't it more so people don't want the alternate gameplay styles not the characters? People were fine with say... Tails and Knuckles in the Classics and Mania. Though that's mainly because they play just like Sonic but with an extra skill of some kind. Many Sonic fans were actually kind of frustrated they had Sonic only for a while after Sonic 06, though it was unfortunately thanks to the reception of 06 that Sega went so conservative to the point of "Sonic only" in the first place for a while. You couldn't even play as Tails unless you were playing co-op with somebody in Sonic 4 Episode 2. Sonic had to be in front/Player 1, and that was frustrating for a game that advertised the return of Tails following Sonic for the first time in a while

D

Deleted member

Ashley would be a really lame inclusion IMO. So what if she got featured in a bland sticker gacha game, and is in a lot of online character lists? Do we even have actual numbers on her popularity, or is it just a small fanbase being loud? Having her as "Wario's sidekick" would look pretty lame to me, given the two character's very little interaction with one another. A somewhat popular theme song and an individual drawing artwork of her for some crappy sticker game does not justify a character slot. If she is "very popular" in Japan, then why doesn't she have her own game? Or be added to the Mario spin offs?

For all we know, Ashley's assist trophy may have been absent simply because they need to update her character model to her WW Gold design... or perhaps she's now a stage hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Waluigi - I don't want this horrible purple man in this game, DLC, or future iterations. Like in all honesty, he doesn't necessarily represent anything from Mario that's worth considering, and we have Daisy and Rosalina that both arguably represent the side series better than he would, and he'd be nothing better than a joke character which doesn't have a place in Smash outside of maybe Jigglypuff if you want to count her. Like I don't see the appeal and I don't want to his evil face on the roster screen.

Mimikyu - Now, I don't necessarily hate the idea of him being a playable character in Smash, I think he'd have an interesting moveset given electricity isn't even a factor in his typing. And also he's one of my favorite Pokemon from this current generation. However, we already have Pichu and Pikachu on the roster and with adding him, I'd feeling it'd be over saturation of his line and, just Pikachu's face. Appearance alone is the reason I don't really want to see him as a playable character. Plus I think he'd make a neat Pokeball Pokemon.

Dark Samus - Falls into the same category as Mimikyu, would open my arms to them, but the thing is I don't want them as an echo fighter given how unique Dark Samus's moveset is. And also, it is a different character, but you'd have three characters sharing the same name on the selection screen which from an appearance standpoint, feels redundant.

Sora - The very fact it's as unlikely as it is out of place is the reason why I don't want him in. Also, the focal point and appeal of Kingdom Hearts is the crossover with Disney, and I seriously doubt you're getting a KH Mickey trophy in Smash. Also, when you bring in multimedia into it, you're opening the flood gates for a LOT.

Chrom - I know a lot of people are pushing for him to be an echo fighter, but realistically I can't see it. He shares the same blade as Lucina, and Marth technically, the Falchion. So you're telling me it'd have the same weight or size as Ragnell? And a lot of the abilities Chrom has doesn't truly match up with Ike. Even Sakurai came out and said he'd be an inbetween of Marth and Ike, and found nothing truly unique so he scrapped him for Robin. I just seriously doubt they'll spend time on Chrom, after they considered him unworthy of it.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Not to nitpick and admittedly be a little bias on my part since my most wanted Newcomer at this point is Tails (But I won't be upset if he never makes it, Sonic is all I need. Tails is just my favorite Sonic character). But isn't it more so people don't want the alternate gameplay styles not the characters? People were fine with say... Tails and Knuckles in the Classics and Mania. Though that's mainly because they play just like Sonic but with an extra skill of some kind. Many Sonic fans were actually kind of frustrated they had Sonic only for a while after Sonic 06, though it was unfortunately thanks to the reception of 06 that Sega went so conservative to the point of "Sonic only" in the first place for a while. You couldn't even play as Tails unless you were playing co-op with somebody in Sonic 4 Episode 2. Sonic had to be in front/Player 1, and that was frustrating for a game that advertised the return of Tails following Sonic for the first time in a while
Most people I hear complain about the characters themselves, game play be damned. No one likes Cream and the only games she's prominent in are the Advance games and her play style is only slightly different from say Sonic or Tails. They simply don't like the characters of Shadow, Silver, Amy, etc. I think Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic and Eggman get a pass because they're part of the original games. And I feel people were excited about Ray and Mighty because they haven't been seen in over 20 years, Ray especially.

But while I'm here

Chrom
I don't get the whole he can be an echo of Ike. His (and Lucina's) fighting style is more based on Marth their great, great .... grandfather. Not a Mercenary from a completely different land. Not to mention Chrom can't do eruption and of course his Falchion (Rapier/Broadsword) is NOT Ike's Ragnell (Zweihander/Claymore).
Hell if anything the Black Knight is more likely to be an echo of Ike. Taught how to fight by the same guy, and has Alondite, the twin sword of Ike's Ragnell. Had a Mii costume.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most people I hear complain about the characters themselves, game play be damned. No one likes Cream and the only games she's prominent in are the Advance games and her play style is only slightly different from say Sonic or Tails. They simply don't like the characters of Shadow, Silver, Amy, etc. I think Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic and Eggman get a pass because they're part of the original games. And I feel people were excited about Ray and Mighty because they haven't been seen in over 20 years, Ray especially.

But while I'm here

Chrom
I don't get the whole he can be an echo of Ike. His (and Lucina's) fighting style is more based on Marth their great, great .... grandfather. Not a Mercenary from a completely different land. Not to mention Chrom can't do eruption and of course his Falchion (Rapier/Broadsword) is NOT Ike's Ragnell (Zweihander/Claymore).
Hell if anything the Black Knight is more likely to be an echo of Ike. Taught how to fight by the same guy, and has Alondite, the twin sword of Ike's Ragnell. Had a Mii costume.
To be fair with Tails and Knuckles, their abilities allow for exploration that Sonic cannot do due to flying and climbing mechanics. I think there's a little more to it than simply getting a pass due to age(although that is definitely still a massive part of it). Most Sonic fans from what I've seen just want those three playable in more games and throw out characters that slow gameplay down too much(like Big and Silver) or carbon copy characters that seem a little redundant(Cream emulating Tails' playstyle, Shadow whilst popular seems to get this too for emulating Sonic's style too similarly).

Mighty and Ray were definitely due to not seeing for a while. Ray seems to just be Tails and Knuckles' flight and glide combined which seems kinda broken.

To keep this post on topic...

...so far I've said Takamaru and Geno...

Those are the two that I actively hate the ideas of honestly, at least from Nintendo.
Takamaru because he's pretty generic(he's as stock a samurai as one can get) and his only special ability of invisibility sounds like it'll cause a lot of accidental deaths.
Geno because he's an irrelevant side character in a single game from over twenty years with no future, a character who'd represent the Mario franchise honestly pretty poorly overall, who got popular in the Smash community simply because Sakurai once mentioned he liked the idea of adding him. Geno is very who, and had Sakurai not got a personal like for him, Geno even getting in as an assist trophy would have been an utter miracle landmark achievement for such a minor insignificant character.

To a lesser extent; Ashley just because I find her popularity utterly bizarre.
Not that she's popular herself but that she's so much MORE popular than every other Warioware cast member combined. It's really weird Mona and Jimmy get no love despite them being Wario's number 2 and 3 in the Ware series. She's got moveset potential I guess, but any magic user has, and I'd probably prefer 9-Volt using old school gaming refences killing off the need for Smash speculators to constantly throw in a 'retro' rep arbitarily constantly.

I can't say Rhythm Heaven's series does much for me in the ways of a fighter either. Marshall is cute, and Karate Joe is kinda cool, and they'd definitely warrant a 'timed hit' moveset a lot more than Geno would, but I think the theme of music and rhythm works better in supplementary parts of Smash instead of an actual fighter; stages, music, maybe an assist trophy even, but a full blown fighter for a character that usually appears in a two second mini game? Unsure.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So am I the only one that liked Sonic Heroes? I love a lot of Sonic characters, and had fun with playing a lot of them.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No, l love Sonic Heroes
I figured there would be someone else lol.

I can understand the complaints though. Most Sonic games are really only built for Sonic, other characters with their various abilities don't really work well with the stages.

On the topic of Smash, I wouldn't mind getting any of Tails, Knuckles (RIP), or Eggman, though I'm not expecting any of them

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know there aren’t many characters I actively don’t want in Smash to be honest.

There was Daisy, but that actually happens for the exact reason I doubted it, so honestly anything is possible.

But I do have some characters I don’t want to see:
Baby Mario
Sylux
Magolor
A Sun and Moon character (People aren’t gonna be happy about this one)
Another Fire Emblem character that isn’t Lyn or Celica (Or Chrom as an Echo but I don’t count that)
Medusa
Hades
Shadow
Chris Redfield
Heihachi
Shovel Knight
Minecraft Steve (I wouldn’t be upset if we got him tho)
Sans Undertale (Even though he’s already in the game)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You know there aren’t many characters I actively don’t want in Smash to be honest.

There was Daisy, but that actually happens for the exact reason I doubted it, so honestly anything is possible.

But I do have some characters I don’t want to see:
Baby Mario
Sylux
Magolor
A Sun and Moon character (People aren’t gonna be happy about this one)
Another Fire Emblem character that isn’t Lyn or Celica (Or Chrom as an Echo but I don’t count that)
Medusa
Hades
Shadow
Chris Redfield
Heihachi
Shovel Knight
Minecraft Steve (I wouldn’t be upset if we got him tho)
Sans Undertale (Even though he’s already in the game)
Sylux is one I don't see often, any reason you don't like them?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just kinda find it a bit generic, and I don’t think it’s as important to Metroid as say, Ridley or Dark Samus.
Fair. He's kinda in the same boat as Viridi to me. Has a bright future, but hasn't done a whole lot just yet. I do like him tho

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Fair. He's kinda in the same boat as Viridi to me. Has a bright future, but hasn't done a whole lot just yet. I do like him tho
I agree with you on that, if Metroid Prime 4 came sooner than he’d be in the limelight. Same with Viridi and Uprising 2.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I'm going to be controversial and say that I would prefer that King K. Rool not be a playable character in smash ultimate. Just because I dislike his design and his character and have multiple other DK characters I would prefer to get in over him (Namely funky and dixie) His weird bloodshot eye creeps me out! :(

That being said, he is popular, and it won't make me froth at the mouth or anything if he gets in. I would just prefer him not too.

Other than that, I don't want steve from minecraft playable. I really don't. A stage or trophy maybe, but not as a playable character, I think there are others more popular and notable to nintendo (Or even third party!) characters that should be in.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If Geno were to get in now despite that, it would send an absolutely terrible message that even if your favorite character is already disconfirmed, they'll have special accommodations made for them and be added anyway if you simply scream loud enough about them and harass the creator over it. The reaction to Geno's disconfirmation is the absolute worst we've ever seen and likely ever will see bar maybe Ridley's back in Smash 4, and to see the frankly juvenile response from the Geno extremists dignified not only with a response, but by bending over backwards and capitulating to their demands would be an absolute insult to anyone whose favorite character didn't get in.
Umm... wow. If you honestly think every word of my Waluigi analysis also applies to Geno, then you completely missed the point of my post and I congratulate you for that. (To review, it's that Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy and shouldn't be added as a fighter at this point just to satisfy a few rabid fans as it would set a bad precedent. I'd be saying the same thing about Geno if the same circumstances applied to him.)
That said, I'll choose not to dignify your asinine excuse for a response with a full argument considering it is now more apparent than ever that you're either A.) trolling or B.) just plain ignorant. Either way, not worth bothering. And besides, if I did debate you, I would just be proving your point about how annoying Geno fans are, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Ze Diglett Ze Diglett My point was that the way Waluigi fans acted for one week is how Geno fans have been acting for an entire decade, and if Geno got in, it'd set the precedent that acting like that will sway Sakurai, encouraging others to do it. It's not the exact same thing, but it's very close.

Also, do you read any of your posts? "Wow do you seriously disagree with me? Congratulations for being stupid. I won't dignify your asinine response, you're totally a troll or you're just ignorant. You're not even worth my time (emoji)" You're being extremely condescending, 90% of your post was just smug insults. Don't believe me? Here's your post without all the crap:

my [...] point [...] [is] that Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy and shouldn't be added as a fighter at this point just to satisfy a few rabid fans. I'd be saying the same thing about Geno if the same circumstances applied to him.
Your original post was two paragraphs, and only one sentence was on-topic and civil (and it was in parentheses). And you seriously wonder why people think Geno fans are douchebags? It's because they all act like you.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I know I am gonna get a lot of hate for this but Crash and Spryo. They were originally PlayStation exclusives. They should have the chance to be in All Stars 2 if Sony ever did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom