• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft (Any character)
No. Absolutely not. You keep that filth away from Smash Bros. I will not justify my hate for this game, I hate it, and I hate everything it has done to the indie gaming scene.
What's wrong, don't you like generic block-based sandbox survival game #14213?

I get the feeling most people who actually want Steve or similar meme characters are either literal children... or dishonest.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ye I was just being over-dramatic lol. But foreal though it would be interesting to see them in smash but I personally don't want them in
Yeah. They would have an intresting moveset, and Nintendo would certainley attract alot of new fans, but just...no.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Ok, a few questions. Is it only mascot characters?
I'm referring to a very specific kind of character. The soulless video game character that exists because X company needed a mascot to help sell toys or merchandise. The video game equivalents of Tony the Tiger or Ronald McDonald. The obnoxious, kid-focused designs of western mascots.

So Diddy, Dixie, and K. Rool would be fine despite being designed in the West?
I've mentioned this before, but Donkey Kong is kind of a special case within Smash. It's the only franchise Sakurai allows western designs from... and even then, only in the form of Diddy Kong.

How would Banjo not fit when he is literally a Nintendo character even if he's owned by Microsoft now?
I feel like the art styles clash. Much less so with Banjo and Kazooie, I will admit, but there is a clear East/West divide when it comes to character designs for most fighters. Sure, you have your realistic characters like Snake alongside Mario, but the inconsistency is forgiveable in that regard. When it comes to mascots, though, the different philosophies regarding how to make something cartoony start to really stand out.

Pacman doesn't fit to you, seriously how? And in a crossover game that meshes tons of differing games with differing styles together how is it even possible to be out of place?
He doesn't fit to me in the same way that Sans or Steve from Minecraft wouldn't fit. In the same way Goku or Naruto or Master Chief wouldn't make sense. Of course, much much less so than those characters since Pac-Man is a gaming icon... but I'm something of a purist. I'd have much rather have had Pac-Man as an Assist Trophy, retaining his classic 2D look instead of his ugly 3D character, in the same vein that I would much prefer Classic Sonic over his current design. I also despise his moveset and think that it blatantly shows they struggled to come up with something appropriate, and I don't think the homage to classic arcade games is an acceptable solution.

Overall, I don't know why I think that some things fit and others don't. This is a thread about characters you don't want in Smash, and I don't feel the need to justify reasons as to why I feel a specific way about who should or shouldnt be in the roster. I don't like Pac-Man. He's a silly character with a silly design that has no place in Smash as a fighter. The only thing that really connects my dislike for one character or other is if they are obnoxious in their designs (Pac-Man, Sonic) or don't feel like they should be fighters (Pichu, Duck Hunt Duo, Dark Pit).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm referring to a very specific kind of character. The soulless video game character that exists because X company needed a mascot to help sell toys or merchandise. The video game equivalents of Tony the Tiger or Ronald McDonald. The obnoxious, kid-focused designs of western mascots.

I've mentioned this before, but Donkey Kong is kind of a special case within Smash. It's the only franchise Sakurai allows western designs from... and even then, only in the form of Diddy Kong.

I feel like the art styles clash. Much less so with Banjo and Kazooie, I will admit, but there is a clear East/West divide when it comes to character designs for most fighters. Sure, you have your realistic characters like Snake alongside Mario, but the inconsistency is forgiveable in that regard. When it comes to mascots, though, the different philosophies regarding how to make something cartoony start to really stand out.

He doesn't fit to me in the same way that Sans or Steve from Minecraft wouldn't fit. In the same way Goku or Naruto or Master Chief wouldn't make sense. Of course, much much less so than those characters since Pac-Man is a gaming icon... but I'm something of a purist. I'd have much rather have had Pac-Man as an Assist Trophy, retaining his classic 2D look instead of his ugly 3D character, in the same vein that I would much prefer Classic Sonic over his current design. I also despise his moveset and think that it blatantly shows they struggled to come up with something appropriate, and I don't think the homage to classic arcade games is an acceptable solution.

Overall, I don't know why I think that some things fit and others don't. This is a thread about characters you don't want in Smash, and I don't feel the need to justify reasons as to why I feel a specific way about who should or shouldnt be in the roster. I don't like Pac-Man. He's a silly character with a silly design that has no place in Smash as a fighter. The only thing that really connects my dislike for one character or other is if they are obnoxious in their designs (Pac-Man, Sonic) or don't feel like they should be fighters (Pichu, Duck Hunt Duo, Dark Pit).
That's fine dude I was just curious about your reasoning behind the choices. And while I don't agree with your opinions thanks for sharing. Also Donkey Kong's modern design is also a western design.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
That's fine dude I was just curious about your reasoning behind the choices. And while I don't agree with your opinions thanks for sharing. Also Donkey Kong's modern design is also a western design.
Well, actually, Miyamoto drew the concept art for Donkey Kong, and he was generally involved in the design of Donkey Kong Country. However, Rare's better at designing characters than most, I'll admit, and if they had to have a new western character, B&K would be the least annoying option in my mind.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well, actually, Miyamoto drew the concept art for Donkey Kong, and he was generally involved in the design of Donkey Kong Country. However, Rare's better at designing characters than most, I'll admit, and if they had to have a new western character, B&K would be the least annoying option in my mind.
I mean DK's design is more based on some of Miyamoto's designs. I guess in way his design is both Japanese and Western

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Popped in this this thread just to see all the anti-Ridley comments before E3 dropped, and it feels so good.

Oh, characters I don't want in? Dark Samus. Not because I hate the character or think she has no moveset potential (quite the opposite) but because if she gets put in, Sakurai's probably going to do another Falcondorf and make her an "Echo Fighter" of Samus. Which is a shame because she's probably the most unique "dark (protagonist name)" Nintendo's ever made.

And the worst part is that I keep finding circumstantial evidence of Dark Samus being in Ultimate, so I'm hoping against hope that she's at least a semiclone.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I mean then there would still be 3 Links, 2 Samuses, 2 Marios, and 2 Zeldas they just all be in one slot. How does that change anything?
It changes things because they are taking up roster slots. Perhaps we would get other, more deserving characters than 3 of the same. Characters like Shantae, Rayman, Geno, King K Rool, etc. have a lower chance of making it in if the roster is over saturated with redundant characters. And what do you mean 3 characters in 1? What I am saying is that toon link and young link should not even exist. If nothing else they should be skins for Link and nothing more. It's the same reason I hate that there are numerous versions of Goku and Vegeta in DBZ games. It's a waste of roster slots to put SS Goku, Regular Goku, SSGSS Goku, UI Goku, etc. Just make it one character that has a transformation mechanic, or remove the different needless forms altogether.

It's also funny to me how people will say that characters like Geno don't deserve to be in Smash because he was in 1 game decades ago in yet people are all for Sheik being in the game when not only was she also only in 1 game (Hyrule Warriors doesnt count) decades ago but she wasnt even a new character, she was just Zelda dressed up differently. And yes she could totally work as being a part of Zelda and having the transformation mechanic back. I would much rather prefer that over her being a separate character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It changes things because they are taking up roster slots. Perhaps we would get other more deserving characters than 3 of the same. Characters like Shantae, Rayman, Geno, King K Rool, etc. have a lower chance of making it in if the roster over saturated with redundant characters. And what do you mean 3 characters in 1? What I am saying is that toon link and young link should not even exist. If nothing else they should be skins for Link and nothing more. It's the same reason i hate that there are numerous versions of Goku and Vegeta in DBZ games. It's a waste of roster slots to put SS Goku, Regular Goku, SSGSS Goku, UI Goku, etc. Just make it one character that has a transformation mechanic, or remove the different needless forms altogether.
"Slots" don't exist. There's no such arbitrary character limit.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
A second character from a third party franchise. This is a Nintendo game. I don't mind the guest fighters, but that's it. No Shadow, no Ken, no Proto Man.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
"Slots" don't exist. There's no such arbitrary character limit.
There is. You hear so often that this game has more characters than any other fighting game when a good portion of them are the same character. Sakurai literally said he was hoping we arent expecting many newcomers because there are already so many fighters. On top of that certain franchises are less likely to get new characters if they already have a bunch... even if most of them are the same character. I seriously doubt we will see a new Zelda fighter considering there's already a ton of them... even though THREE of them are the same character. It DOES play a factor whether they admit it or not.

what's worse though is that it makes it even more insulting that other, more deserving characters still havent made it in like Shantae and King K Rool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is. You hear so often that this game has more characters than any other fighting game when a good portion of them are the same character. Sakurai literally said he was hoping we arent expecting many newcomers because there are already so many fighters. On top of that certain franchises are less likely to get new characters if they already have a bunch... even if most of them are the same character. I seriously doubt we will see a new Zelda fighter considering there's already a ton of them... even though THREE of them are the same character. It DOES play a factor whether they admit it or not.
The reason there aren't as many fighters is because adding so many takes development time. You clearly don't get how this works.
And there won't be a new Zelda character because there's no character that appeals to a wider audience than hardcore Zelda fans, not because we already have six of them.
what's worse though is that it makes it even more insulting that other, more deserving characters still havent made it in like Shantae and King K Rool.
Two things:
  1. """deserving""" is subjective. I think you're the first person I've seen to consider Shantae to be a """deserving""" character.
  2. You know what would also be "insulting"? If someone's favorite character didn't make it in while the others do.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
The reason there aren't as many fighters is because adding so many takes development time. You clearly don't get how this works.
And there won't be a new Zelda character because there's no character that appeals to a wider audience than hardcore Zelda fans, not because we already have six of them.

Two things:
  1. """deserving""" is subjective. I think you're the first person I've seen to consider Shantae to be a """deserving""" character.
  2. You know what would also be "insulting"? If someone's favorite character didn't make it in while the others do.
First point - it's hilarious that you say I don't know how it works when I am confident that I know far more than you considering you don;t know when something is OBJECTIVE or not. Last I checked it took development time to create both Zelda and Sheik, alst I checked every link takes development time as well. I ahve ntohing against having a few 'echo fighters' int he game as theya re obviously easy to develop and a quick way of putting in new characters like Daisy, but how about isntead of making several versions of the same characters you make new ones? How about instead of 3 Links, we get King K Rool? Or what King K Rool take more development time than 2 of the 3 Links would? And even if it would, how much more would it take and would that effort not justify having a new, completely different character?

On to your second point:

Wrong. There are OBJECTIVE qualities that would make a character more deserving of being in Smash than others. You are simply wrong to say that.

Shantae for isntance is far more deserving of being in Smash than WFT.. who isnt even really a character to begin with. By your logic, no character is more deserving of being in Smash over another. So then by that logic, why is Mario in the game? Why is Link in the game? Why isnt Little Mac's coach a fighter in smash instead of him? It's because there ARE objective qualities that characters have that make them more deserving of being in the roster than others. If that wasnt the case then the entire roster would just be nameless background NPCs from random games. Do you want me to talk about how big of an icon Mario is in the gaming industry, how many games he's been in, how he's the face of Nintendo, how he has so much potential for a unique moveset and would easily fit into smash, etc........... but none of that matters because it's all subjective, right? He made it into smash only because Sakurai likes him, right? Nothing else came into play, right?

Shantae is a female character (something there are not many of in smash compared to male characters), she's a female protagonist (something that there is literally only one of in smash), every single one of her games is on a Nintendo console and up until recently exclusively so. In fact she has been a Nintendo character for close to 2 decades so she has a history with the company as well. Her devs actively want her in the game, her aesthetic and the tone of her games perfectly fits in with Smash, all her games are well received, etc. She literally fits all the criteria that sakurai is looking for, she would fit tons of niches, she has so much potential for a unique moveset, etc. She would add a lot to the game regardless of if you personally like her or not, There is a difference between subjective opinion and objective facts. I personally don't care if King K Rool makes it in because I don't care about the DK franchise but I will admit that objectively he deserves to be in it because he would help fill a lot of niches in the roster, and not to mention he fits all the criteria of a character that Sakurai is looking for.

Not sure what that second point is supposed to mean. How would it be insulting if someone's favorite character didnt make it in? Perhaps to them it would on a SUBJECTIVE level, but objectively it would not unless that character deserved to be in Smash over a lot of others that are in it and also just happened to be your favorite character. You don't seem to know what you are talking about here.

And because I KNOW you arent going to listen to what I am saying (because I have had this discussion so many times with so many people) I am just going to ignore you now otherwise you are going to keep this going and derail the thread.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Hmmm, interesting question, because I realise that my answer changes depending on the situation.

For example, I normally would love for Tingle to be playable. He's the next most important Zelda series representative, is the lead star of his own games, has plenty of move-set potential, and is a character I simply like. Normally I would love to see him included, but then I see how the Zelda series already has 6 representatives and it really dampers my interest in including him; it feels... unfair to the rest of the less represented series for it to be so heavily skewed. I saw Super Smash Bros as a celebration of Nintendo; as a showcasing of ALL it's IPs and history, sharing the limelight on a near even footing. Obviously that latter point is clearly not the case with how Sakurai has handled the series, and has always bothered me.

Secondly, I don't like removing characters from a non-story focused fighting roster; even when I disliked their inclusion in the first place. Unless they are a guest character (which all the 3rd parties should've been), then the characters should be kept on from each installment, given there is no story to justify their exclusion in the SSB series. I hated the addition of Rosalina, but now that she is in SSB, I would be disappointed if she was removed. I think this mindset is why I've always placed such importance and care onto the addition of characters; because once they are their, I feel they should stay.

So onto the question itself, who do I not want in the game. Well I don't want any more representatives from the already heavily represented Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Fire Emblem series. I would have honestly stopped at 4 reps max for any series myself. I would love to see Tingle playable, but unless they have him representing his own series akin to Yoshi (though I question that decision, given how connected Yoshi is to Mario series, unlike with the Donkey Kong Country or WarioWare series), I wouldn't want him when there are so many series that could do with playable reps.

As another broad stroke; 3rd party additions. It's quite clear that they are not guest characters at this point, they came and they stayed. It gets in the way of the focus on Nintendo's own IPs, from the big ones and particularly obscurer ones. There are certain 3rd party additions that I'd enjoy seeing (Bomberman, Rayman, Shantae), but I wouldn't want them in SSB due to their 3rd party nature. If these 3rd party additions were guest characters and only popped up in one entry, then I'd be fine with them, but they don't serve the role of guests.

I struggle to think of any specific characters who I would dislike the inclusion of, they tend to fit into broad categories... Geno perhaps, but I feel that fits into that previously mentioned 3rd party aspect. I'll have to think on this one.

First point - it's hilarious that you say I don't know how it works when I am confident that I know far more than you considering you don;t know when something is OBJECTIVE or not. Last I checked it took development time to create both Zelda and Sheik, alst I checked every link takes development time as well. I ahve ntohing against having a few 'echo fighters' int he game as theya re obviously easy to develop and a quick way of putting in new characters like Daisy, but how about isntead of making several versions of the same characters you make new ones? How about instead of 3 Links, we get King K Rool? Or what King K Rool take more development time than 2 of the 3 Links would? And even if it would, how much more would it take and would that effort not justify having a new, completely different character?

On to your second point:

Wrong. There are OBJECTIVE qualities that would make a character more deserving of being in Smash than others. You are simply wrong to say that.

Shantae for isntance is far more deserving of being in Smash than WFT.. who isnt even really a character to begin with. By your logic, no character is more deserving of being in Smash over another. So then by that logic, why is Mario in the game? Why is Link in the game? Why isnt Little Mac's coach a fighter in smash instead of him? It's because there ARE objective qualities that characters have that make them more deserving of being in the roster than others. If that wasnt the case then the entire roster would just be nameless background NPCs from random games. Do you want me to talk about how big of an icon Mario is in the gaming industry, how many games he's been in, how he's the face of Nintendo, how he has so much potential for a unique moveset and would easily fit into smash, etc........... but none of that matters because it's all subjective, right? He made it into smash only because Sakurai likes him, right? Nothing else came into play, right?

Shantae is a female character (something there are not many of in smash compared to male characters), she's a female protagonist (something that there is literally only one of in smash), every single one of her games is on a Nintendo console and up until recently exclusively so. In fact she has been a Nintendo character for close to 2 decades so she has a history with the company as well. Her devs actively want her in the game, her aesthetic and the tone of her games perfectly fits in with Smash, all her games are well received, etc. She literally fits all the criteria that sakurai is looking for, she would fit tons of niches, she has so much potential for a unique moveset, etc. She would add a lot to the game regardless of if you personally like her or not, There is a difference between subjective opinion and objective facts. I personally don't care if King K Rool makes it in because I don't care about the DK franchise but I will admit that objectively he deserves to be in it because he would help fill a lot of niches in the roster, and not to mention he fits all the criteria of a character that Sakurai is looking for.
First off, I agree with your first point in that there is clearly a slot limit, but said limit is admittedly defined by development time which is harder to gauge. I also agree that it is ridiculous that we have multiple versions of the same character; the initial inclusions of them always irked me. With the theme being 'Everyone is Back', I have less of a problem with them returning, but I'm of the opinion that those additional Links and Mario's shouldn't have been added in the first place.

Onto your second point though, I do have a level of disagreement to that. There is certainly an argument for a character to deserve to be in SSB, and I admit to having been frustrated often with SSB inclusions that I feel didn't deserve their inclusion (at least, over others that had yet to be added), but I do spot a certain clash in our opinion.

I've added it in bold, but whilst I do like Shantae and would appreciate her as a 3rd party guest (I so wish they were actually treated as guests), I do not feel she has more reason to be in Smash over a Nintendo series representing character such as Wii Fit Trainer. Wii Fit Trainer, whilst an unusual choice, represents a popular multi-game series owned by Nintendo. In Super Smash Bros, a Nintendo All-Star game with the power to celebrate and give attention to it's many IPs and history, I feel Wii Fit Trainer's Wii Fit representing value gives her precedence over any 3rd party addition.

Shantae has plenty of value to being added, but if the desire is for a female character (and in particular a female lead protagonist of their own game), then there are still plenty of Nintendo owned characters who can fill in that role.

Ultimately though, neither you or I are in charge of the game, and I question how much stock Sakurai puts into these factors. He did showcase a desire for unique move-set potential in SSB4, but when it came to series representation, he had no problem adding numerous 3rd parties or bolstering the Mario and Fire Emblem series with many more additions. He has also included clones in every SSB to some degree, with truly only the recent Echoes as being ones we could argue take a truly minor amount of time to add (though there are still unique animations and such to add, so it's not like it's no time). So when it comes to characters that have elements that make them worthy candidates and even deserve to be added, it really comes down to how much emphasis Sakurai puts into that.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Shovel Knight
Sans
Doomguy
Dovahkiin
Steve (Minecraft)

I would legit cringe if any of these characters got in Smash, especially the first two.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This is purely because of his visual design, but Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I haven't played the game, so maybe he's a decent character who probably has some cool move set potential, but man he looks like a parody of JRPG protagonists.

lets see, we got a generic anime face, stupid bulbous boots that extend into chaps, superfluous belts, randomly exposed thighs, wears skintight underwear, has a pointlessly short jacket with random gears, and a single long sleeved glove. i like the blue and red color scheme, and i like the idea of a deep sea diver aesthetic, but I feel like they should've commit more to that instead of the generic JRPG protagonist look.

I'm not going to lose sleep if he gets in, but he's one of the only characters I would prefer to not show up, solely because of his dumb fashion choices. I guess it seems kind of shallow, but visual design is a big part of what makes a character appealing to me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like any characters that are too visually similar to other characters like Dark Samus, Ninten or Dark Pit of even Paper Mario

I also don't like characters that are part of a generic group with minor differences like Bandana Dee or Goombario.

Although I don't support him, but I wouldn't mind having Captain Toad even though he fits that category. IDK why I'm less picky with him.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Time to make more enemies

Rex and Pyra

There are 2 reasons.
A. Rex is garbage. I wouldnt say he's the worst protagonist of a JRPG ever, but in the same year that brought us Nier Automata, and Persona 5 he is defintly the worst protagonist of a JRPG in 2017. He is a disgrace as both a design and a character. Pyra isn't that much better. She has an equally bad design and I don't find her character particularly interesting beyond "Obvious waifu bait. And even then, Persona 5 and Nier had superior waifus."

B. I don't think his moveset is that interesting. Rex's sword is basically a Monado, it has a similar sillouhette and function. And while one can say that Rex's entire moveset would revolve around the Blade and Driver mechanics, here's the thing. Rex isn't the only character that can use those mechanics. You know who else can use those mechanics? Nia, Zeke, Morag, Tora (Who by story reasons isn't even a driver), Hell even major villains like Malos can utilize the same mechanics. So why not pull another Robin and give those mechanics to the coolest character in the game, The Queen.

Last edited:

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Why is it different from any other species?
They have no powers. I like characters that bring special abilities. Like, the UFO enemy in Kirby can shoot and fly around and use lasers. Waddle Dee has a spear. Most movesets for him are just a bunch of spear moves. A little boring, imo

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Ho boy, here I go! Blame it on my boredom.

I don't get people asking for Spyro next to Crash to the point that its either both or nada. Never felt they were on the same level of importance, not to mention that we are already at a dangerous number of Sony ex-icons (would be hilarious just to rub it on the wounds of Playstation Allstars Battle Royale). Besides, I think we reached our quota of purple dragons for this game.

And I don't care how easy is to make Echo Fighters. I dont want Dark Samus for this game, we don't need more reminders that Nintendo loves dark edgy versions of their characters. And giving Dark Samus an original moveset would make her passable, but then you have the problem that she took development time for more deserving ideas.

And speaking of boring Echo Fighters. Ninten looks WAY too much like Ness. Earthbound Zero doesn't need a rep that bad. I doesn't matter how hard fan art tries to make him look different with scarves and berets.

Last, Im not a fan of Karate Joe. He looks like Kung Fu Man from MUGEN. And you don't play MUGEN for Kung Fu Man, you play it for everyone else but Kung Fu Man. In fact, I didn't liked the idea of Chorus Kids either back in the pre-Smash 4 era. But they still look more appealing than Karate Joe everyday.

...and for the record. With all these hard opinions, in the end, one never knows. Sakurai can always change one's mind when he and his team do the magic and any of these character could become tomorrow's favorite when implemented right. I certainly would have hated the idea of a Wii Fit character before she was revealed. And now, I find her adorable, awesome and irreplacable. So dont hate... too much.

P. S. I dont like Laboman either. Don't force the concept of "Character no one expects" too much.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
They have no powers. I like characters that bring special abilities. Like, the UFO enemy in Kirby can shoot and fly around and use lasers. Waddle Dee has a spear. Most movesets for him are just a bunch of spear moves. A little boring, imo
I agree he doesn’t have the most moveset potential compared to other Kirby characters (Marx, Magolor), but Bandana Dee is a main character of the Kirby franchise. So while there are more unique choices, yes, Bandana Dee will most definitely be added before them imo

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I agree he doesn’t have the most moveset potential compared to other Kirby characters (Marx, Magolor), but Bandana Dee is a main character of the Kirby franchise. So while there are more unique choices, yes, Bandana Dee will most definitely be added before them imo
I just don't see "most definitely" as true. I feel like Sakurai would want a more interesting addition, a character that has something unique about them, before a boring addition. Marx has really cool moveset potential. I bet there'll be no Kirby character added, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ho boy, here I go! Blame it on my boredom.

I don't get people asking for Spyro next to Crash to the point that its either both or nada. Never felt they were on the same level of importance, not to mention that we are already at a dangerous number of Sony ex-icons (would be hilarious just to rub it on the wounds of Playstation Allstars Battle Royale). Besides, I think we reached our quota of purple dragons for this game.

And I don't care how easy is to make Echo Fighters. I dont want Dark Samus for this game, we don't need more reminders that Nintendo loves dark edgy versions of their characters. And giving Dark Samus an original moveset would make her passable, but then you have the problem that she took development time for more deserving ideas.

And speaking of boring Echo Fighters. Ninten looks WAY too much like Ness. Earthbound Zero doesn't need a rep that bad. I doesn't matter how hard fan art tries to make him look different with scarves and berets.

Last, Im not a fan of Karate Joe. He looks like Kung Fu Man from MUGEN. And you don't play MUGEN for Kung Fu Man, you play it for everyone else but Kung Fu Man. In fact, I didn't liked the idea of Chorus Kids either back in the pre-Smash 4 era. But they still look more appealing than Karate Joe everyday.

...and for the record. With all these hard opinions, in the end, one never knows. Sakurai can always change one's mind when he and his team do the magic and any of these character could become tomorrow's favorite when implemented right. I certainly would have hated the idea of a Wii Fit character before she was revealed. And now, I find her adorable, awesome and irreplacable. So dont hate... too much.

P. S. I dont like Laboman either. Don't force the concept of "Character no one expects" too much.
I get the scarf because the kid in the advertisement wears a scarf

But where in the world do they get the baret? Ninten wears a baseball cap in all pics of him

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ninten is one of the stranger picks I've seen come up a lot recently that I've seen a lot to convince me he isn't different enough (Or even different at all) from Ness to be in the roster. I saw Earthbound Beginnings get some fanfare when it finally got a Western release... but not much more beyond that. He just seems a very odd pick, even as an Echo. Earthbound has plenty of other cool characters to pick from anyway, and a Ness echo... just doesn't sit well with me.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I just don't see "most definitely" as true. I feel like Sakurai would want a more interesting addition, a character that has something unique about them, before a boring addition. Marx has really cool moveset potential. I bet there'll be no Kirby character added, though.
You have a point, but Sakurai does take into account relevancy. At the end of the day, since Bandana Dee is a main character and most other good canidates are one-offs (or don’t have as much of a prominent role), I think he’ll be added first.

Tbh I’d be fine with anyone except Marx

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I feel he could do more than just use a spear. He has been shown using a parasol too and with the amount of things Waddle Dees have done over the years that is enough for a varied moveset.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

I think what they meant is there aren't a set amount of "slots" (like if young link got cut we would have gotten a new uniqie character instead. The clones take vastly less time tp create then a unique fighter, especially a third party fighter which will have legal stuff tp sort through as well as having each tweak need to be approved by their original development studio.) So the several clones aren't "stealing slots" from several unique fighters- the truth is that the dev time to put the clones in is far less than putting in Shantae or whoever else.

You are correct that Sakurai does take in account the series balance when deciding new characters thought... But then again things like FE can happen so anything is possible.

Edit: WFT isn't without merits to be in Smash. The Wii series of games are some of the best selling games of all time- a feat accomplished within one console generation. It is also a Nintendo owned property.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
How about getting back to just telling people who you don't want in the game. This isn't a speculation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom