• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I really don't think the should add Ike. Yeah he's the newest lord, but he would just be another swordsman. Now if they added Hector or Ephiram you'd have a lot more variety. Hector has a freakin' axe and Ephiram's lance would be nice. They could even add Lyn so that we'd have more girls in this game. She could use a sword and a bow. The sword would be kinda short but she'd be a speed demon. Similar to Shiek weighed down by a katana.

Sonic beats Mario! Your fire balls can't touch my fire shield.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^He made a big Rise to become the Scrappy Doo of Mario.
By god that is the best catch phrase I've ever heard. yggrasil is right, you do need a prize. I'm tempted to steal that awsome quote, lol it's that good (njk). The best part about this is he's right! I love good catch phrases, especially when they are right. And this is no exception.

Bowser Jr. i expect to be in SSBB just because he is becoming the little mini Bowser (hence he's Bowser's son). I think his chances of being in SSBB keep rising considering he was the main villian in Super Mario Sunshine, which is the #2 selling GC game. Plus he was the main villian in New Super Mario Bros is the #1 selling DS game, I think that makes his chances pretty high up there. I hope he's in SSBB, and I'm pretty sure he's gonna make it.:)

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
New Super Mario Bros is the #1 selling DS game
Not true, Nintedogs is. I hope that doesn't mean we'll have a Chihuahua puppy as a playable character >_<

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
There's already a Nintendog item (at least, it seems so) so I doubt they'd make a Nintendog character, too.

I cannot stress how many times I would like Felix from GS to be in SSBB, i also cannot stress how much I would dislike the game if they took out Marth, I know some people have to go, but get rid of Roy, he's just a clone!

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Why do people want Bowser Jr? He is such a lame character. He is just Bowser...but smaller. Bowser already had sons. Remember Mario World? They were actually cool.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
But they WON'T be in Smash. Nobody wants him. I couldn't see Sakurai getting exited by such an uncreative character. He doesn't even like Diddy that much. He obviously doesn't like Bowser Jr.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Where u gettin the info that he doesnt like diddy? ive never seen him say that... anyway bowser jr can easily use the paint brush and bring uniqueness to his moveset, and give him a transformation to shadow mario, and u got a totally new character, fact is hes the best mario candidate to be in brawl maybe second to toad...

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I heard a comment from Sakurai somewhere that he didn't like the idea of Diddy solo, but he liked the idea of Diddy and Dixie together. There is one flaw in your logic. BOWSER JR. ISNT POPULAR! Why do you think he didn't appear of the poll? It's because nobody gives a **** about a lame villain like that when there are villians like Wolf, Ridley, Goroh, etc. to choose from. We have Bowser. We don't need the lame Bowser kid version they invented for Sunshine. What do you want next? Babby Mario and Luigi added?

Stryks

Smash Hero
No cause they cant fight, but bowser jr can, and has a transformatio to boot anyway this aint the place to talk about bowser jr, oh and the part of where bowser jr aint popular, I ask u was zamus, roy, GaW, doc and the others popular b4 added in the games?

Man i didnt know sylux and weavel where on the poll! Im so happy XD

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
To answer your question:

Doc: Mario is popular so yes. Because they're the lame character.
GaW: Wasn't really a character before Melee so you can't really say that about him.
Roy: Yes, in Japan.
Zamus: People like Samus. People like girls in skin tight clothing. I think the next sentance should be obvious.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
To answer your question:

Doc: Mario is popular so yes. Because they're the lame character. Can you prove that please?
GaW: Wasn't really a character before Melee so you can't really say that about him. Yes, he was, he was made before everyone else...
Roy: Yes, in Japan. He wasn't een out yet at the time!
Zamus: People like Samus. People like girls in skin tight clothing. I think the next sentance should be obvious. Well, people like her looks but they didn't even think about her being in brawl.

Everthing is in the quote.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
I never got to see Sakurai's Poll... um, please tell me these are just suggestions. There's no freakin' way Dr. Kawashima will be in. xD

Anyways, on topic, Ninten is just Ness before Mother 2. Essentially, Ninten would be a clone. Just keep Ness and we'll all be happy.

Also, I can see Diddy Kong and Bowser Junior making it in. Petey Pirhana would work as a boss, and Koopa Troopa and Hammer Brothers would be interesting...

I know, this topic is ancient, but someone bumped it, so why not?

Zeela12

Smash Ace
does any one have the link to the poll? the original link posted is down now...

I kinda wanna know how many people voted for which char.

NukeA6

Smash Master
does any one have the link to the poll? the original link posted is down now...

I kinda wanna know how many people voted for which char.
No one knows the results of the poll. All that we found out was certain entries.

Shinespiked

Smash Rookie
I just started reading this thread, so someone might have mentioned it in the 70 or so pages I didn't read but wouldn't it be cool to play as Leon Kennedy from RE4? He is owned by capcom but I don't think that nintendo would have that tough of a time getting the rights for him. Unfortunately i don't see him as an addition because he'd be way too similar to snake and his style doesn't really fit Smash, but still I can hope =D! Oh and possibly El Gigante as a poke ball type thing? Again, don't think it is gonna happen but oh well.

Lu-Gi-Oh!

Smash Apprentice
it could mean any number of things, but i think it's worth noting that these are the poll entries/suggestions from japanese fans that Sakurai has presented to the public.

we have only included new characters on this list.

thanks to FlipTroopa, Bruk, Resting Fox, icymatt and others from the community for all their help putting this together.

Cheer Squad (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!)

Kalas (Batten Kaitos)

Megaman (Megaman)

Claus (MOTHER 3)

Lucas (MOTHER 3)

King K. Rool (DK Country)

King Dedede (Kirby)

Geno (Super Mario Bros. RPG)

Professor Kawashima (Brain Age)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem)

Black Shadow (F-Zero)

Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!!!)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!!!)

G-Red (Gotchaforce)

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros.)

Oguma (Fire Emblem)

Captain Olimar (Pikmin)

Lip (Panel de Pon)

Ike (Fire Emblem)

Black Knight (Fire Emblem)

Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Lolo and Lala (Kirby)

Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo)

Princess Katia (Lost Kingdom)

Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)

Colonel Volgin (Metal Gear Solid 3)

Lupus (Jet Force Gemini)

Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)

Link (Wind Waker)

Ninten (MOTHER)

Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Ridley (Metroid)

Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)

Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!)
Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!)

Diddy & Dixie Kong (DK Country) [Ice Climber-type is sugested]

Jeff (Earthbound)

Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima)

Power Pro (Jikkyo Power Pro Baseball)

Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)

Tetra (Wind Waker)

Harry (Teleroboxer)
Harry (Teleroboxer)

James Bond (Goldeneye)

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)

Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)

Mia (Fire Emblem)

Krystal (Star Fox)

Peppy (Star Fox)

Slippy (Star Fox)

Wolf (Star Fox)

Petey Piranha (Mario Sunshine)

Link's Uncle (A Link to the Past)

Dr. Wright (Sim City)

Thomas (Kung-Fu)

Infantry (Famicom Wars)

Blue Virus (Dr. Mario)

Isaac (Golden Sun)

Urban Champion guys

Nabaru (Fire Emblem)

Magnus (Ogre Battle)
Magnus (Ogre Battle)

Furil (Panel de Pon 2)

Palutenia (Kid Icarus)
Palutenia (Kid Icarus)

Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)

Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)

Felix (Golden Sun)

Chain Chomp (Mario)

Koopa Troopa (Mario)

Muddy (Mole Mania)

Famicom Detective Club characters

Banker (Mario Paint)

Marx (Kirby Superstar)

Vivian (Paper Mario)

Hero/Heroine (Magical Vacation)

Gardevoir (Pokemon)

Soren (Fire Emblem)

Jill (Drill Dozer)
Jill (Drill Dozer)

Demille (Tomato Adventure)
Tomato Robot Attack?

Human (Animal Crossing)

Mallow (Super Mario RPG)

Master Hand (Super Smash Bros.)

Crazy Hand (SSBM)

Weavel (Metroid Prime: Hunters)

Sylux (Metroid Prime: Hunters)

Noxus (Metroid Prime: Hunters)

Steven Stone (Pokemon)

Sheeda (Fire Emblem 1)

Maji/Saji [identical twins] (Fire Emblem 1)

Jeigan (Fire Emblem 1)

Paula (Earthbound)

Poo (Earthbound)

Kumatora (Mother 3)

the characters who were recommended multiple times are:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

all suggestions from Smash DOJO.

the poll is now closed.

After reading that list, I'm pretty certain that the list means absolutely nothing as to who they're considering, as many of those were pretty crap suggestions, and probably only a handful or so of those chars actually have a chance. (And were most likely being considered before they held the poll.)

I mean, seriously, Blue Virus?

Link's Uncle?

The banker from Mario Paint?

Steven Stone?

Dr. Wright?

Vivian?

Lupus? (And to make this even more laughable is that Juno and Vela, the MAIN CHARACTERS, aren't even on the list; not that it matters anyway since they're Rare)

James Bond? (Not even a video game character)

Chain Chomp?

And probably a few other WTF? characters I missed. And then there were a lot of supporting characters and such on the list which, realistically, most of which won't get in due to limited amount of spots, which will first go to main characters of the series and then to other major characters and such.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
After reading that list, I'm pretty certain that the list means absolutely nothing as to who they're considering, as many of those were pretty crap suggestions, and probably only a handful or so of those chars actually have a chance. (And were most likely being considered before they held the poll.)

I mean, seriously, Blue Virus?

Link's Uncle?

The banker from Mario Paint?

Steven Stone?

Dr. Wright?

Vivian?

Lupus? (And to make this even more laughable is that Juno and Vela, the MAIN CHARACTERS, aren't even on the list; not that it matters anyway since they're Rare)

James Bond? (Not even a video game character)

Chain Chomp?

And probably a few other WTF? characters I missed. And then there were a lot of supporting characters and such on the list which, realistically, most of which won't get in due to limited amount of spots, which will first go to main characters of the series and then to other major characters and such.
While that's pretty much what I thought when I read it, I still think the -acceptable- characters that placed high on the poll, and the characters Sakurai later commented on from the poll, do actually have a bit of a chance. I mean, I really doubt Sakurai said, "I'm picking the most popular characters no matter who they are!" He probably just used it to gauge public reaction and get some ideas. Brainstorming, if you will. I imagine if Dr. Kawashima had placed number one, he might consider putting him in as an item or trophy.

But it seems a lot like he was genuinely trying to get some thoughts and ideas for fan-favorite characters, and for some, *coughGenocough* I think he might've actually been pleasantly surprised by what he found.

(He probably also listed a bunch of the really ridiculous ones because, well, let's face it. He does have a pretty good sense of humor.)

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
i agree with flute

for example if people love chain chomp, now he is an item (or now this is a stretch a final smash for bowser)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
i agree with flute

for example if people love chain chomp, now he is an item (or now this is a stretch a final smash for bowser)
Bowser's Final Smash involving a Chain Chomp would make some sense, seeing as he uses a Chain Chomp to attack in Super Mario RPG.

Though I also hope to see Chain Chomp as an item; it would be sweet to have a Chain Chomp attacking your opponents! Come to think of it, I'd actually like a Chain Chomp as a pet! :p

Stryks

Smash Hero
I agree, I freakin love Chain Chomp, I dont know why but lately I have come to like the little guy, so heres hoping Chain chomp as an item for brawl!

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Aw man... having Kalas in SSBB would be freaking awsome... I'd use him no matter what. Sakurai better put him in... I mean, Baten Kaitos is pretty much a Nintendo franchise now anyway.... And he deserves to get in...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm bumping this thread as well so that people can see who the characters were that Sakurai actually put on his polls. As you can see, Goroh was never on there; so it is no major upset. Black Shadow is the only F-Zero character who has been on one of his polls.

Also, Dedede is ranked number one with 5 mentions, while Ridley with 4 is in the second spot along with Diddy, Geno ,and Ike.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
many of these characters that are pictured in the poll really dissapoint me.
many are cliche japanese warriors similar to Marth and Roy.
nothing against those characters, but they are unoriginal compared to other fighters that could be joining the roster.
they don't have a good global fan-base.
these characters are many minor characters from fire emblem, and kingdom hearts.

and others that may be considered abstract just suck.
Sukapon??? WTF!!!???
and how is a moveset supposed to be made for Chain Chomp?
many of their pictures are horrible and don't depict any detail-showing how popular they are =P

but, this may also be Sakurai making us go crazy with anxiety.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm so happy that Toad made it on there! If Sakurai knows what's good for him, Toad will FINALLY be a playable character this time around. =)

And I heard some Skapon bashing. Not on my watch! FlipTroopa posted a YouTube video of Joy Mech Fight. Check it out to see Skapon and just how cool he is. Watching the fight in action clearly shows how Brawl-ready Skapon is already. He's basically a robot version of Kirby after swallowing Rayman. I fully support Skapon for Brawl!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'm so happy that Toad made it on there! If Sakurai knows what's good for him, Toad will FINALLY be a playable character this time around. =)

And I heard some Skapon bashing. Not on my watch! FlipTroopa posted a YouTube video of Joy Mech Fight. Check it out to see Skapon and just how cool he is. Watching the fight in action clearly shows how Brawl-ready Skapon is already. He's basically a robot version of Kirby after swallowing Rayman. I fully support Skapon for Brawl!
Yeah, Toad FTW!

And WAHT?! People are bashing Sukapon?! Why?! He'd be PERFECT for Brawl, seriously!

Del Money

Smash Champion
the poll is crap...how is Megaman lower than Geno? and how is Sonic, Little Mac, and Bomberman not even on the list?

Top Bottom