• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
Well, Diddy's basically a given. Really when Rare was at the helm, Diddy usurped DK's title as protagonist, and he's actually just as popular now as DK himself, if not moreso. He's one of those, "should have been in Melee" characters along with Dedede, Pit and Metaknight.

FoulQ was probably just trying to euphamize the phrase "well DUH!" and let you go ahead and do your thing.

Probably the best thing to do is debate whether or not there's any real backing behind the frequency of character occurence on the poll. Like, I think Sakurai already had a vague idea of several characters he wanted and might have posted up those that matched his ideas, or even those that swayed his opinion. With all the millions of letters he probably got, it wouldn't be too difficult to pick an allotment of letters that, individually, were interesting, but as a whole were expressive of Sakurai's intentions.
True, very true.. Hm. He had to have had an idea to have been so minded towards, say, King Dedede. And that was, in a sense, my point as well.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
hey, fliptroopa whats about megaman?? do u think he has a chance to be in brawl???, 'cuz wow! megaman is my favourite 3rd party character! just imagine megaman fighting in SSBB!!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
krlos F. said:
hey, fliptroopa whats about megaman?? do u think he has a chance to be in brawl???, 'cuz wow! megaman is my favourite 3rd party character! just imagine megaman fighting in SSBB!!
shut up about megaman the two most likley 3rd party characters are Soic and Geno (IMO)

icymatt

Smash Lord
Uncle Kenny said:
(I don't know if that is what that number next to him means).
That's the number of times he was mentioned on the site.

Technically, he's tied with Diddy(I counted the entry that wanted him teamed-up with Dixie, though), Ike, and Ridley. Tied entries are in alphabetical order.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
shut up about megaman the two most likley 3rd party characters are Soic and Geno (IMO)
ie, Megaman is better than sonic!, and is the more likely 3rd party characters although Sonic too, just check out the 3rd party character thread! the first place goes to megaman and the second place goes to Sonic, i think the third place goes to Geno, but i'm not sure, anyway... MEGAMAN is better!

kaid

Smash Master
Sonic has history Geno could never match. Megaman comes close, but the entire SNES vs Genisis rivalry was, quite simply, Mario vs Sonic. Over 10 years of rivarly has linked them, and with the fall of the Dreamcast and the rise of SEGA as a third party developer, smash opens the possibility of finally resolving the age old conflict.

Geno was just a character from a 3rd party cult classic.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
In defense of Sonic, his rivalry was unmatched, and he brings a certain flair to the game that has yet to be covered by another character. And regardless of whatever else, he's the most popular submission in the West. By far.

In defense of Geno, Super Mario RPG is fondly recalled and replayed to this day. Geno is referenced in pretty much every single Mario fan-whatever you can find online, and is regularly referred to by Mario fans who actually played the game in conversation. He cameoed in Mario and Luigi, and Sakurai even expressed interest in the character after hearing his name at the trailer showing. Including Geno would please many, many Mario fans.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
If Sonic hadn't been in that April Fools day joke, he wouldn't be half as popular as he is now. And everyone is sick of megaman. And they say Nintendo is using Mario too much... I support Protoman and Geno. Geno just because I've never seen him in action.

Shark X

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
Sonic... it will be big, but not in the same way. People will crap their pants and die happy, but it's not as shocking or as much "WTF" factor as Snake was. That is what I was trying to get across.
You kidding? I already did that when Meta-Knight showed up on the trailer. I didn't have enough crap left when Snake showed up, and to this day, I still don't have crap left to crap for Sonic O.o

Uncle Kenny said:
Shocking news isn't what I care about. I just need Geno and Sonic in there to die a happy man. Then again, Sonic would be alot more shocking if they didn't say he was confirmed. Imagine unlocking him, that would be a surprise. It would be funny if you unlocked him by defeating 20 opponets in Cruel Melee just like the rumor...
That wouldn't be funny...to this day, I still can't get past 15...

krlos F. said:
ie, Megaman is better than sonic!, and is the more likely 3rd party characters although Sonic too, just check out the 3rd party character thread! the first place goes to megaman and the second place goes to Sonic, i think the third place goes to Geno, but i'm not sure, anyway... MEGAMAN is better!
Wrong, it was...

1. Sonic
2. Megaman
3. Geno / Bomberman (both seemed to be tied in all the suggestions and request on that thread)

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I don't get why people don't understand this. GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY! If he is included, we would have the Mario icon behind him, because he is part of the Mario franchise. The last time I checked, the Mario franchise was 1st party. STOP BEING DUMB! It's aggrivating me. I don't want to repeat this again. GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!!

GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!!

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Super Smash Master said:
I don't get why people don't understand this. GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY! If he is included, we would have the Mario icon behind him, because he is part of the Mario franchise. The last time I checked, the Mario franchise was 1st party. STOP BEING DUMB! It's aggrivating me. I don't want to repeat this again. GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!!

GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!! GENO IS NOT 3RD PARTY!!!
Square Enix owns the rights to Geno, so technically, he IS third-party.

Somebody back me up on this staement...

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Rare created Diddy Kong as part of the Donkey Kong Franchise and Nintendo still owns the rights to him, because he was created as part of a franchise Rare had permission to make games for. The same applies to Geno. Also, Geno appears in Mario and Luigi (Or so I heard), which Square had no part in making. So Geno is 1st party. Nuff said.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Rare created Diddy Kong as part of the Donkey Kong Franchise and Nintendo still owns the rights to him, because he was created as part of a franchise Rare had permission to make games for. The same applies to Geno. Also, Geno appears in Mario and Luigi (Or so I heard), which Square had no part in making. So Geno is 1st party. Nuff said.
The credits to Mario and Luigi give copyright information for using Geno in the game, CREDITING SQUARE.

...Pwned?

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
the ending credits for mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga states, "Geno used with permission from Square Enix" or something like that. That would make him Square property, and Square would need to approve him being in Brawl

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Just because Square was credited, doesn't mean Nintendo Can't use Geno whenever they feel fit. He is techincally a MARIO character. And I didn't know Square owned Mario. And nice Red X by the way.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
You guys can't see that picture? It's coming up fine for me...

Anyways, you are obviously babbling on about something you don't know about. Squaresoft developed Mario RPG using a borrowed Mario liccense. They were essentially creating an original RPG using Mario characters in the storyline, so anything original in that game belongs to them. The credits to Mario and Luigi show this.

As for Rare making Donkey Kong Country, the way that worked was, similar to Retro Studios, Nintendo absorbed them as a second party and gave them the Donkey Kong project. Anything that was created for the DKC games was hence Nintendo's, legally, because they owned Rare at the time. Nintendo does not, and never did, own Square, so whatever Square created outside the Mario license was theirs to keep.

Just because Namco put Pacman in Mario Kart GP for the arcades doesn't mean he's a Mario character; he's an original property of theirs, sharing the same game as somebody else's. This is the same way it's been forever and ever.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Not to mention that I emailed Nintendo about it personally. They responded that all Mario RPG stuff was still owned by Squaresoft, and there had been no information of Nintendo buying those characters back.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
But the biggest question is whether we should factor Geno into the 3rd party category when it comes to those coveted 1-2 spots in Brawl. It's possible Sakurai considers Geno more of a Nintendo character. I mean, his prominence on the poll along with other high name Nintendo characters has to mean something. When you know he must have gotten millions more letters about Sonic, who didn't appear at all.

Not to mention he might consider that a lot of people don't even KNOW Geno's a square property. Not everyone is as informed as we are. So while Nintendo is in talks with Square about using Geno, maybe Square will start talking about...oh someone like Crono.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
Megaman Megaman Megaman Megaman Megaman Megaman Megaman Megaman

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Just because Square was credited, doesn't mean Nintendo Can't use Geno whenever they feel fit. He is techincally a MARIO character.
Exactly. It's kind of like how Nintendo used Rare's design of Donkey Kong because it was THEIR character and not Rare's.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
I think there may of been something about Miyamoto designing the look of DK in DKC (he was one of the major supervisors or something like that), so that would also be a large factor into why they use the DKC DK.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Well the 80's DK isn't exactly with the times. It's like how they changed Sonic's look to keep with the times. Mario has yet to get a new look (you'd think his Melee clothes would be it, but Mario only seems to wear then in SSB games).

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
You guys can't see that picture? It's coming up fine for me...

Anyways, you are obviously babbling on about something you don't know about. Squaresoft developed Mario RPG using a borrowed Mario liccense. They were essentially creating an original RPG using Mario characters in the storyline, so anything original in that game belongs to them. The credits to Mario and Luigi show this.

As for Rare making Donkey Kong Country, the way that worked was, similar to Retro Studios, Nintendo absorbed them as a second party and gave them the Donkey Kong project. Anything that was created for the DKC games was hence Nintendo's, legally, because they owned Rare at the time. Nintendo does not, and never did, own Square, so whatever Square created outside the Mario license was theirs to keep.

Just because Namco put Pacman in Mario Kart GP for the arcades doesn't mean he's a Mario character; he's an original property of theirs, sharing the same game as somebody else's. This is the same way it's been forever and ever.
Obviously Pacman is not a Mario character. Unlike Geno, Pacman wasn't as part of the Mario franchise. Just beause Geno isn't owned by Nintendo, doesn't stop the fact that he is part of the Mario franchise. For a character to be considered 3rd party, he has to be part of a FRANCHISE created by another company. Since Geno would be given Mario's mushroom icon, this would dispell that he would be considered 3rd party.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Mario has changed since the 80's; it's just way more subtle, other than when he swapped his overal colours. :p

Shark X

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Mario should have rapper clothes.
You ment Wario, due to his famous Wario World commercial, BLING BLING!

And Geno IS owned by Square, as it's been proven plenty of times.

And Geno doesn't need a **** Mushroom, though I can't think of any other symbol he could use.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Obviously Pacman is not a Mario character. Unlike Geno, Pacman wasn't as part of the Mario franchise. Just beause Geno isn't owned by Nintendo, doesn't stop the fact that he is part of the Mario franchise. For a character to be considered 3rd party, he has to be part of a FRANCHISE created by another company. Since Geno would be given Mario's mushroom icon, this would dispell that he would be considered 3rd party.
Okay, now this is something I can start to see. Should've clarified earlier :p

But I understand that if Geno appears, yes, he will likely be under the Mario "family" of characters. Which makes me also wonder if he will take one of the third party spots, since he's always been known as a Mario character.

However, he's still owned by Square, so it's still a matter of getting permission. But yeah, now I see what you're saying, and I've actually wondered it myself :p

GenG

Smash Lord
Yeah, nobody would welcome Geno as a third party. He's well known for appearing in Mario games only, so Smash Master has a point.

However, copyrights are owned by another company (Square) so Nintendo can't use him whenever he wants. But if Geno makes it, we'll see him featured as a first party character, I'm pretty sure.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
What are you people talking about? Character won't be "featured" as belonging to anyone. Do you think on Snake's trophy it'll say

Solid Snake is blah blah blah blah. Oh yeah, and he's a third party character!

NO. He'll just appear. For him to appear, they had to get permission. If Geno is to appear, Nintendo would have to get permission. That's all there is to it.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I don't care if they have to get permission. I am just saying that if he is in, he won't be counted as 3rd party! There is not a doubt in my mind that there will be 3-4 3rd party characters AND Geno, since he is a mario character. It doesn't matter if he is owned by Square or not. That is irrelivent.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
I don't care if they have to get permission. I am just saying that if he is in, he won't be counted as 3rd party! There is not a doubt in my mind that there will be 3-4 3rd party characters AND Geno, since he is a mario character. It doesn't matter if he is owned by Square or not. That is irrelivent.
So, the director saying he thinks there will be only 1 or 2, maybe, doesn't cast any doubt for you?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Look. Sakurai left it vague on purpose. I think we can all agree on that >.>

But here's the facts:

-Geno belongs to Square
-Sakurai is leaving 1-2 spots open for third parties, maybe
-Geno only appeared in two games, and one was a cameo: Mario RPG, Mario and Luigi

So Geno would obviously be under the Mario umbrella. And he would require permission from Square to get. But would he count towards that 1-2 more third party total? I don't know. Sakurai could've meant 3rd party period, as in characters they need permission for, or third party as in not identified clearly as Nintendo (which, in the case of Geno, is not always)

Top Bottom