• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I added the results of this poll to the Smash Bros. Brawl Wiki, so all the world can share in our hard work and rejoicing ;)

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Why not also include characters that were voted for twice in the Brawl Wiki? Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all that you bothered to put up the results (surprised nobody else did to be honest).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Muffin_man said:
Why not also include characters that were voted for twice in the Brawl Wiki? Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all that you bothered to put up the results (surprised nobody else did to be honest).
I honestly didn't want to drag it on too long. Wiki editors are Nazis, and they would pick it apart if it got too long. Also, somebody could delete it on the grounds that "lol, two votes isn't that much more than one." It didn't sound significant enough to me, to be honest. Plus there's a lot more 2 vote guys than 3 or 4.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Well for People like Skull Kid, Waluigi, Sonic, etc, there probably not on this list for there either
A. Already going to be in this game
B. Not going to be considered at all

icymatt

Smash Lord
Or, more likely, there just weren't any well-written comments asking for them, or they decided to choose the far more interesting ideas.

Pikmin66

Smash Rookie
What's Gardevoir doing on that list? 0_o Although it WOULD be fun to play as it. I'll bet that there were A LOT of Sonic suggestions. Maybe he took them, but didn't put it on his poll? 0_o

Rash

Smash Ace
The Majora's Mask-influenced Skull Kid has to be in Brawl. He's just too awesome.

EDIT: the mask does have to be involved to make the character worth it.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
No Majora's Mask [the mask] is just too awesome. The rest of Skull Kid's character design was really rather bland. But pop on the mask and it's contrast a' la beautiful.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Okay, somebody deleted my addition :mad: Stupid Wiki-nazis... Just because "LOL SONIC ISN'T ON THE LIST IT CAN'T BE REAL ZOMG IT'S JUST A BUNCHA 15 YEAR OLDS READING GOOGLE TRANSLATOR" doesn't mean it isn't fact. *******s.

ANYWAYS >.>

The letters Sakurai selected were ones he thought were good ideas, right? So if he selects a "good idea" more than once, that must mean he thinks it's a "really good idea?" :laugh:

I think we can confirm, then, that King Dedede is in the game. If he actually read a letter, went "wow, that's cool," posted it, then found the same idea, went "wow, that's still cool," posted it, and kept going... he must really like that idea. I know you can easily debunk this theory by going "lol, we're not sakurai so we don't know," but just hang with it. I think it's worth something.

And for that, we could say that any idea he posted more than once must've been something he actually went "wow" and considered. It doesn't guarantee it, but geez... he put King Dedede in there, relatively, a LOT. And look at the four voted characters. Geno must've really intrigued him to appear that many times. Or Krystal. Or Ike. I think taking these numbers and looking at these "most popular characters" we can get a really good idea of what he's thinking for a roster.

Of course, there's still the NSider forums, which would screw it all up with all their suggestions being on the complete opposite end of the spectrum >.<

kaid

Smash Master
I contend that sonic is not on the list for the same reason Fox is not on the list- If Sonic Team is willing to let him use Sonic, Sakura would be an IDIOT not to put him in.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
kaid said:
I contend that sonic is not on the list for the same reason Fox is not on the list- If Sonic Team is willing to let him use Sonic, Sakura would be an IDIOT not to put him in.
Hear me out:

If Sonic were in the game, wouldn't that be the most earth-shattering news ever? A rivalry now settled? Two former enemies joining hands to make one helluva game? Sonic versus Mario? That would be... amazing news. People would die happy to hear that. It would be such big news, magazines like Time would be reporting it.

So why hasn't it happened? If Sonic were in the game, don't you think they would've showed him already? There would've been massive fanfare for the character. Snake, who is likely going to be secret, got star treatment in the trailer. But if Sonic were to appear, he would likely get the same. But he hasn't. Because he's not in there. Or at least, not yet.

How upsetting would that be to beat the game under 10 minutes and unlock a new fighter and see... wow, it's Sonic. No fanfare. No FMV. Just his shadow, a fight, and then a message "LOL. You got the fastest thing alive!" Pretty unacceptable, IMO. Any third party addition, esp. Sonic, deserves crazy star treatment.

And, once again, I don't think Sonic is in this game, because we haven't heard about it yet. Unless they're saving this huuuuuuge announcement till just before launch, we would've heard about it by now. News like that has to travel.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It's entirely possible that they haven't secured the rights to use the character yet, or haven't worked out the details. On the night that they showed the trailer, Miyamoto confirmed that they were talking to some other companies.

Also, keep in mind that, even if they didn't reveal Sonic before the game is released, it's going to be huge news. I mean, Sonic WASN'T in Melee, and the fanfare about him being the game was still humongous. It's so huge, some people STILL think he's in the game.

Don't think that just because they don't talk about a character before release, it doesn't mean they're not in.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I wish those "Mario VS. Sonic" arguers would start changing it into "Shigeru Miyamoto VS. Yugi Naka".

Speaking of the creators, why don't Shigeru Miyamoto play as Mario and Yugi Naka play as Sonic in the next E3, to show those "Mario VS. Sonic" arguers, the REAL WINNER? After the battle ends, Miyamoto and Naka would shake hands and continue showing more of Nintendo's E3 News.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Everbody that unlocks Sonic n Brawl would probabbly s*** their pants. That isn't fanfare to you? McFox was right when he said it would still be huuuuge news. Sonic and Snake in Melee.... Melee did sell more than any other game on the gamecube, if Brawl puts Sonic in there, it will easilly sell more than any game in existence. Oh great now I want Brawl even more. Why is 2007 so far away???

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I support Sonic in Brawl. Not so sure about Shadow though. I think one third party character from the Sonic games would be good enough. Mario vs Sonic seems to be everyone's dream fight...

ninja232

Smash Apprentice
kaid said:
Shadow would be a costume for Sonic, in the same way Doc would be for Mario and Fierce Deity Link would be for Gannon.
shadow is different he has hyper shadow chaos blast and is slower then sonic and he in his game uses weapons but in this game he could punch, kick(like sonic), homing attack and that's all thats alike with sonic

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I see you support changes in the costume department Kaid. Yeah just color alone doesn't seem good enough. I even have a few costume ideas myself. Like the Shadow Queen for Peach, original outfit for Wario, those mechanical parts on Mewtwo (I don't know what they called it). You could even unlock a few outfits too. Hmm... I see Geno has a shot at being in. Cool. Hope he is confirmed in. If he and Sonic make it in, that game would sell for billions of dollars.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
>.< But I don't think we'll SEE Sonic in the game. I won't argue it anymore, because I don't want to upset people or anything, but I just really don't see it happening. Snake was their "big announcement," and if they do nab other third party characters, I don't think they'll be as "big." It'll be something like Geno, and we'll all go "Oh, cool." and that'll be it.

kaid

Smash Master
Snake was a "Hey, look! it's Solid Snake, of Playstation Fame! You NEVER saw THIS ONE coming!"
(Never mind he was on nintendo first...)

With 3rd parties in, it would be suprising to NOT have Sonic. (But not a good suprise.)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
>.< But I don't think we'll SEE Sonic in the game. I won't argue it anymore, because I don't want to upset people or anything, but I just really don't see it happening. Snake was their "big announcement," and if they do nab other third party characters, I don't think they'll be as "big." It'll be something like Geno, and we'll all go "Oh, cool." and that'll be it.
Did you even read my post?

Rash

Smash Ace
Snake was big because he was a huge surprise as an addition to Smash Brothers, on top of the fact that the SSBB unveiling was absolutely HUGE in itself. That's a double shock-factor.

Regardless, since everyone is dying to see what other third parties get in, there will be as huge of an impact with further unveilings as when Snake was revealed. The world of Smash Brothers will completely erupt at the announcement of characters like Sonic and Megaman in the game.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Snake was completely out of left field. Sonic is pretty expected, don't lie :laugh: But Snake... he's known for being the Sony Playstation poster boy, Konami completely dissed the Gamecube and the N64, and Kojima never even made a peep that he was interested in the Wii. But BAM! There's Solid Snake, ready to take on the Nintendo Crew.

THAT, was big.

Sonic... it will be big, but not in the same way. People will crap their pants and die happy, but it's not as shocking or as much "WTF" factor as Snake was. That is what I was trying to get across.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I agree with Fliptroopa, but I'll have a bag ready when I crap my pants.

Stryks

Smash Hero
FlipTroopa said:
Snake was completely out of left field. Sonic is pretty expected, don't lie :laugh: But Snake... he's known for being the Sony Playstation poster boy, Konami completely dissed the Gamecube and the N64, and Kojima never even made a peep that he was interested in the Wii. But BAM! There's Solid Snake, ready to take on the Nintendo Crew.

THAT, was big.

Sonic... it will be big, but not in the same way. People will crap their pants and die happy, but it's not as shocking or as much "WTF" factor as Snake was. That is what I was trying to get across.
Yeah Snake was totally unexpected, the day they announced Brawl, they said the new comer were: .... Solid Snake, I was like huh?
But sonic is another story, even before brawl was announced, kinda had the feelin sonic would be in it, so it would be such a big of a surprise, now megaman, it wont be exactly like sonic, but if he is in brawl in gonna very ****ing happy!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Shocking news isn't what I care about. I just need Geno and Sonic in there to die a happy man. Then again, Sonic would be alot more shocking if they didn't say he was confirmed. Imagine unlocking him, that would be a surprise. It would be funny if you unlocked him by defeating 20 opponets in Cruel Melee just like the rumor...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Uncle Kenny said:
Shocking news isn't what I care about. I just need Geno and Sonic in there to die a happy man. Then again, Sonic would be alot more shocking if they didn't say he was confirmed. Imagine unlocking him, that would be a surprise. It would be funny if you unlocked him by defeating 20 opponets in Cruel Melee just like the rumor...
:laugh: Capcom's done stuff like that, "confirming" rumors. Remember the Shen Long in Street Fighter II thing? ;)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Alright, but back on subject. Geno is the third most wanted character on Sakurai's poll (I don't know if that is what that number next to him means). But who here thinks Diddy is a good choice? Seeing as he is #2.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
Um...if you want to discuss Diddy, there is sort of a Diddy support thread somewhere around here.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Just wanted to see someone's thoughts on this. This is a disscusion of characters on the poll right? He is on the poll. But hey, if you don't want to talk about it. Whatever.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well, Diddy's basically a given. Really when Rare was at the helm, Diddy usurped DK's title as protagonist, and he's actually just as popular now as DK himself, if not moreso. He's one of those, "should have been in Melee" characters along with Dedede, Pit and Metaknight.

FoulQ was probably just trying to euphamize the phrase "well DUH!" and let you go ahead and do your thing.

Probably the best thing to do is debate whether or not there's any real backing behind the frequency of character occurence on the poll. Like, I think Sakurai already had a vague idea of several characters he wanted and might have posted up those that matched his ideas, or even those that swayed his opinion. With all the millions of letters he probably got, it wouldn't be too difficult to pick an allotment of letters that, individually, were interesting, but as a whole were expressive of Sakurai's intentions.

Top Bottom